As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i dunno what they're bitching about. some racing wheel? whatever. [game podcasts]

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So did any of the GB guys ever play Recettear?

I don't know if it deserves to win any awards but I'd think it would be worth a mention.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dave would probably be the only one, if that. It's a PC game AND a JRPG at that, so I can see why the normal crew might avoid it. Hell, I wouldn't have even has given it a second look if not for RPS's praise of it.

Medium Dave on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok, having listened to the game of the year casts I get the thread title.

I like the guy usually, but he got in a huff about every single disagreement.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like all the GB guys (I think Ryan is my long lost brother) but I think Brad had quite a misguided agenda for that category. I get that he really liked Minerva's Den but his argument sounded pretty weak against Vinny's. I also think Vinny's reasoning was more in the spirit of the award. Brad won out of attrition.

I'm also a little sad that Shadow Broker was spoiled but money's tight and I can't justify spending that much money for an additional mission set, even though I really loved ME2. I also missed the sale.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Also, I think I need to get Super Meat Boy. I think they made it clear that it is one of the best 2D platformers they've seen. Additionally, I need to play that Bayonetta demo and see if I like it.

A.) Do you like action?

B.) Do you like Japanese crazy?

If you answered yes to either of these, you will like Bayonetta. If you answered no to both, you'll still like Bayonetta. If you don't like Bayonetta, play it again, because you're doing it wrong.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    InitialDK wrote: »
    I like all the GB guys (I think Ryan is my long lost brother) but I think Brad had quite a misguided agenda for that category. I get that he really liked Minerva's Den but his argument sounded pretty weak against Vinny's. I also think Vinny's reasoning was more in the spirit of the award. Brad won out of attrition.

I'm also a little sad that Shadow Broker was spoiled but money's tight and I can't justify spending that much money for an additional mission set, even though I really loved ME2. I also missed the sale.

Well Vinny's reason for letting Minerva's Den win did a pretty good job of making Brad's victory a Pyrrhic one.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so I'm working on restructuring the OP

one of the things i noticed in the last thread is a lot of people come in who are genuinely just starting to listen to podcasts and they're looking for more

what exactly do we consider the "staple" video game podcasts that the majority of people listen to? I'd like to put a bit in the OP about stuff people can look at when they're just getting started so they know what gets talked about in here a lot

so if some people could post their four most-listened-to podcasts or something that'd be stellar

also going to add a section for podcasts with forumers in them so if you have a podcast (i'm pretty sure there's at least two i've listened to with people from this thread in them) and want it OP'd speak up?

T4CT on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For japanese gaming listening I think warning! a massive podcast is pretty good if you don't have that yet.

Also one of the arguments from vinny I found pretty flawed is that whether add ons should affect the main game or can be seperated from it. If it should affect the main game, then why is undead nightmare even considered for the running?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited December 2010
    vinny is quickly becoming the guy i relate to the most on this podcast

he seems to judge games on whether or not he just has fun playing them

fuck everything else

this is a good way to do things

T4CT on
    edited December 2010
    Vinny is a dude I want to hang out with for sure.

Antihippy on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm listening to the first GB GOTY and its confusing my emotions. I'm disliking Brad way more then usual and liking Jeff a bit just because he defended Darksiders.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »
    Also, I think I need to get Super Meat Boy. I think they made it clear that it is one of the best 2D platformers they've seen. Additionally, I need to play that Bayonetta demo and see if I like it.

A.) Do you like action?

B.) Do you like Japanese crazy?

If you answered yes to either of these, you will like Bayonetta. If you answered no to both, you'll still like Bayonetta. If you don't like Bayonetta, play it again, because you're doing it wrong.

A++ would read again

I'm pissed because I still can't tell the voices properly. I have to discern who is who based on what they hate/like

Brad is therefore always relatively easy to identify.

Jintor on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I find it increasingly irritating to listen to people on podcasts talking about Minecraft because it seems like none of them even realise that Survival mode exists.

-SPI- on
    edited December 2010
    I sympathise, Spi

Jintor on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And they still come away uninformed despite working a couple feet away from the staff of Tested, who run their own Minecraft server

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It would be like talking about Crysis only in relation to youtube videos of giant stacks of exploding barrels.

-SPI- on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Watching the Day Three Giant Bomb vid now with Ryan playing Galaxy 2, and it's pretty hilarious.

*Character off to the side says in text bubble; "Stay under contROLL!"*

Vinny: Stay under cuntROLL!

*silence*

Ryan: What...? I--I don't think that's the correct pronunciation.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Today was the day they reminded you that they're all still friends

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay so I bought both Bayonetta and Pac-Man CE DX thanks to these podcasts. I can forgive an annoying argument or two for introducing these games to me.

Pac Man CE DX especially is a goddamn beautiful party game. The first time in a long while my family actually gathered around the 360 to trade off turns with a game. Three different generations bonding over that shit. And it's good shit.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm listening to the first GB GOTY and its confusing my emotions. I'm disliking Brad way more then usual and liking Jeff a bit just because he defended Darksiders.

Don't worry, Jeff will soon come out swinging with his irrational dislike of Red Dead Redemption. Based on the reasoning that he didn't want to play it and it's probably bad and boring and stupid because he doesn't like it. Sound logic. You can hear the petulence in his voice when he talks about it. It's the same petulence he had during the Castlevania Lords of Shadow quick look. The tone of voice that says "I've already decided I don't care about this".

They all go back and forth enough to balance each other out. However, I think Vinny might be a brother of mine that I never knew. I know enough about Brad's taste to like the opposite of everything he likes.

Ceno on
  • EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I find it increasingly irritating to listen to people on podcasts talking about Minecraft because it seems like none of them even realise that Survival mode exists.

In general it can be excruciating to listen to discussions where the participants are poorly informed about what they're trying to discuss. As much as I love Giantbomb's quicklooks, this is a massive problem with them - sometimes, they'll just be tard-blind to things right in front of them, and level criticisms against a game that could've been trivially avoided if they just paid attention and maybe listened to the tutorial before charging foreward like a brain damaged rabid boar.

EggPuppet on
    edited December 2010
    For what it's worth, I don't think Marston was much of a character.

Nico Bellic 2.0! Just when you thought the slate couldn't get any blanker.

kedinik on
  • GlipherGlipher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I don't think Marston was much of a character.

Nico Bellic 2.0! Just when you thought the slate couldn't get any blanker.
    I really do like the point that was made about him in the discussion about basically
    him accepting that he'd never escape the hands of the government, so it'd be better to sacrifice himself rather than try to escape with his family and/or risk the ranch being destroyed or something.

I haven't touched GTAIV after my initial playthrough and though I agree that Marston may not be a great character so much as a character with a great voice actor but he was at least a slight upgrade from Nico Bellic. Marston's arc did seem to have already passed by the time that Red Dead takes place, but I at least got a sense of some character existing (albeit, it not being explored much at all) whereas all that I can recall from Nico is that he: a) wants to kill a guy and b) wants money.

I dunno; neither character were explored particularly well, yeah, but Marston seemed a more fulfilled character to me. Still pretty blank when it comes to it, but I wouldn't say "blanker" than Nico.

Glipher on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay so I bought both Bayonetta and Pac-Man CE DX thanks to these podcasts. I can forgive an annoying argument or two for introducing these games to me.

Pac Man CE DX especially is a goddamn beautiful party game. The first time in a long while my family actually gathered around the 360 to trade off turns with a game. Three different generations bonding over that shit. And it's good shit.

So what do you think of Bayonetta?

And I just watched Ryan Davis's list, and I find it largely agreeable. Happy that he put AC Brotherhood at #1.

Despite not being a PC gamer and dreading whenever SC2 is mentioned, I have to admit that when they talked about Civ V when it came out, I was really intrigued, especially with hearing how friendly it is to newcomers of that play style.

I wonder if it would run on my Mac...

UnbreakableVow on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »

In general it can be excruciating to listen to discussions where the participants are poorly informed about what they're trying to discuss. As much as I love Giantbomb's quicklooks, this is a massive problem with them - sometimes, they'll just be tard-blind to things right in front of them, and level criticisms against a game that could've been trivially avoided if they just paid attention and maybe listened to the tutorial before charging foreward like a brain damaged rabid boar.

Then don't ever listen to the Gamers with Jobs guys. I enjoy listening to them, but man they are off so often it's painful. Like during their last podcast, where they started discussing L4D2 as a great game that came out in 2010.

To be fair to Giant Bomb, they are catering to their audience. It's likely if the four of those guys can't make a particular game work well / look good on the first try, then their audience won't be able to either. For the more informed consumers, the quicklooks are still a decent way to get some extra gameplay footage that we wouldn't otherwise have access to.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited December 2010
    Plus, you know, the quick looks are funny.

Gotta say though, brad's quick look of SMB made me go from interested to rabid for the game. So did the QLEX for stacking.

Antihippy on
    edited December 2010
    I'll be honest with you guys: After actually listening to the Second Day podcast, I think they're just... arguing. Brad's not being irrational with his defence, he's just... holding his position.

Jintor on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I'm really not getting all the "fuck Brad" vibes that are coming out. At first glance to me it just seemed like they were having some tough deliberations as a group, and upon relistening to Day 1 it even seemed like Jeff was being the one to hamper rational discussion if anybody was.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited December 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    I'll be honest with you guys: After actually listening to the Second Day podcast, I think they're just... arguing. Brad's not being irrational with his defence, he's just... holding his position.

I feel like everyone else was having a discussion and he kept turning it into a bitter argument.

kedinik on
    edited December 2010
    It feels like to me brad and vinny arguing and having a discussion about the add-ons while jeff and ryan kept talking about ME2 being better than BS2 since they didn't play the add-ons.

Antihippy on
    edited December 2010
    I kind of don't even have 2 of them straight in my head, as to attaching a name to a voice.

Brad's the guy with a deep voice whose opinions I usually like and Vinnie's the guy who sounds the least like a Vinnie to me.

kedinik on
    edited December 2010
    It took me a little while to get Vinnie and Ryan sorted out when I first started listening

Brad's voice doesn't seem like it should be coming from that body

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    Man what.

I always thought that they have pretty distinct voices and speaking styles.

Antihippy on
    edited December 2010
    They do.

But when you're coming into something new (or at least, when I am) without a visual aid as to who's who, names get crossed and I get mixed up.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    it was matching voices and names to appearances that fucked me over the first time

T4CT on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    "This" episode? You mean one of the two that had some heated discussion or this most recent one that actually went pretty smoothly?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited December 2010
    He might be talking about the paul barnett one.

Which does raise some pretty interesting stuff.

Antihippy on
    edited December 2010
    Well there's some certainly some strange choices in the Barnett special edition, but I'd hardly call that a logical breakdown on the bombcaster's parts :P

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png