As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: Burrowing to the Smurf village.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG

I WON MY FIRST 1V1 GAME!!!!!!!!!

I used sentries to and force field his zealots and like I used dark templars to ruin his mineral line and like I created a huge blob to destroy his huge blob and like...

I FUCKING WON!!!!!!

Casually Hardcore on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    replay so we can tell you how bad you are!

peacekeeper on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How do I post replay?

Casually Hardcore on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh god I just watched a game streamed by Justinsroy, claiming to be 2700+ Protoss

D:

TL DR on
    edited December 2010
    repimg-33-177306.jpg

There, now be harsh.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited December 2010
    Most of us use gamereplays.org because it gives you a link with a cool pic. sign up required but it's free.

example
    me vs some apparently 2600 protoss

repimg-33-176420.jpg

peacekeeper on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kambing wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »
    Uh, creep tumor and transfuse are both awesome. If MULE is good because you have the option to scan, then inject has to get bonus points for those.

In the mid- and late-game, you will be injecting with your hatch queens 100% of the time, so there is no choice there. In the early game though, there is some choice involved that hasn't been "figured out" yet as to what is optimal, e.g., mixture of injects and tumors for your first two queens.

that's what the third queen in the day9 build is for. Tumors, injects, and defense. :-)

Nah these decisions happen before a non-hatch queen goes up. For example here are valid openings for your first two queens

1st queen inject main -> 1st queen inject main -> 2nd queen inject natural
    1st queen inject main -> 1st queen tumor main -> 2nd queen inject main
    1st queen inject main -> 1st queen inject natural -> 2nd queen tumor main

The first typically gives you too much larva than you have resources to spend and limits the ability of your main queen to help defend an early push. The second causes your drone distribution to be skewed (more at main than nat). The third gets your early creep for defense and an even distribution of drones at main and nat but your queen's energy pools are out of sync.

thanks for this, it makes a lot of sense. never thought of lowering inject time between 1st and 2nd rounds by moving the first queen up. almost sounds chess-ish, but makes perfect sense now that you've said it.

"the guide" says 3 queens, 2 spines for D, and i think this is at 26-28 food. do you think that you can get away without the extra spine (plus a drone, i guess) if your next 150 went to a roach warren? actually, just being able to drop a queen changes things quite a bit as well, I guess I could just find my roach warren and two extractors there. :-)

Joe K on
    edited December 2010
    repimg-33-177306.jpg

There, now be harsh.

It didn't look that bad, you have to remember no matter what you're doing to be making units all the time. When you made your expansion you only transferred a few probes over, you should send half.

peacekeeper on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not going to reply to every specific post in this thread that was talking about simplifying SC2's macro mechanics, I'm going to reply to you all at once.

You're all stupid, and without exception every single one of the ideas you put forward would worsen the game significantly.

The end.

Dhalphir on
    edited December 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm not going to reply to every specific post in this thread that was talking about simplifying SC2's macro mechanics, I'm going to reply to you all at once.

You're all stupid, and without exception every single one of the ideas you put forward would worsen the game significantly.

The end.

I love you.

Joe K on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    why didn't anyone tell me ati drivers were so awful?
    why? WRYYYYY???

like, I knew nvidia drivers were supposedly better, but ati drivers seem to flat out not work.
    after about an hour of finangling, I've finally gotten SC2 to run without crashing.

never again though. I'll always be true to you from now on, nvidia. Always~!

Guek on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Uh, creep tumor and transfuse are both awesome. If MULE is good because you have the option to scan, then inject has to get bonus points for those.

In the mid- and late-game, you will be injecting with your hatch queens 100% of the time, so there is no choice there. In the early game though, there is some choice involved that hasn't been "figured out" yet as to what is optimal, e.g., mixture of injects and tumors for your first two queens.

that's what the third queen in the day9 build is for. Tumors, injects, and defense. :-)

Nah these decisions happen before a non-hatch queen goes up. For example here are valid openings for your first two queens

1st queen inject main -> 1st queen inject main -> 2nd queen inject natural
    1st queen inject main -> 1st queen tumor main -> 2nd queen inject main
    1st queen inject main -> 1st queen inject natural -> 2nd queen tumor main

The first typically gives you too much larva than you have resources to spend and limits the ability of your main queen to help defend an early push. The second causes your drone distribution to be skewed (more at main than nat). The third gets your early creep for defense and an even distribution of drones at main and nat but your queen's energy pools are out of sync.

thanks for this, it makes a lot of sense. never thought of lowering inject time between 1st and 2nd rounds by moving the first queen up. almost sounds chess-ish, but make s perfect sense now that you've said it.

"the guide" says 3 queens, 2 spines for D, and i think this is at 26-28 food. do you think that you can get away without the extra spine (plus a drone, i guess) if your next 150 went to a roach warren? actually, just being able to drop a queen changes things quite a bit as well, Iguess I could just find my roach warren and two extractors there. :-)

It depends on the match-up and positions, although most likely you will drop two spines at some point, so it's just a matter of when:

1) ZvZ, I usually go speedling expand, so I delay any spines until I see what my opponent is going for. If it's some aggressive baneling or roach play, then I'll drop the spines immediately.

2) ZvT, I drop one spine immediately as I transfer drones to my nat and then drop a second if I see hellions incoming. On an early marine push, I play it by ear, although I don't have a set strategy for that second spine.

3) ZvP, I'm still re-working my strategy based on the zvp lesson with Mr. Bitter and machine. For now, I go one spine on transfer and more based on what I scout.

I don't think roaches are a good substitute for spines in the early-game (pre-lair) because you won't have the economy to support a good number of them. Spines are most cost-effective and better at convincing your opponent not to attack you.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    edited December 2010

The end.

Reminds me of some thread I was reading where some guy was proposing dumb changes to marauders :rotate:

peacekeeper on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That was justified rage from losing repeatedly, and in any case at least a couple of the ideas had basic merit.

Dhalphir on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    why? WRYYYYY???

like, I knew nvidia drivers were supposedly better, but ati drivers seem to flat out not work.
    after about an hour of finangling, I've finally gotten SC2 to run without crashing.

Huh??? Ati drivers are fine. Never have had a problem. I've used both and personally I prefer Ati. What kind of problems were you having? Oh, and what card?

Maratastik on
    edited December 2010
    why? WRYYYYY???

i've managed to get my new cheap ass ati working on 2 completely different monitors, and play sc2 reasonably well. it took some acrobatics, though.

Joe K on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guek if you had asked before buying a card I would have been able to tell you that ATI is a pile of crap and nVidia cards are the only way to go.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Guek if you had asked before buying a card I would have been able to tell you that ATI is a pile of crap and nVidia cards are the only way to go.

I did ask...I DID D:

olorin: i got a 5770 since it was cheap. the latest drivers crash every time I load up SC2. I had to go back to 1.7 and then set some very specific settings in order to get it to run.

after doing some research, apparently it's a pretty widespread issue for SC2 and several other games.

Guek on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I must have not noticed D:

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2010
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    So any good Protoss streams out there? I've been enjoying Minigun, but he seems to be playing Terran now... Hopefully that's not a permanent thing.

HuK. Liquid'Tylers stream is awesome too, but he almost never has it up these days. Other than that I don't really know of any actually good protoss streams. HuK delivers excellent BM most of the time as well, which is enjoyable.

CecilSunkure is good but he's not featured and not streaming at the moment.

Dhalphir on
    edited December 2010
    I told you to buy a GTX460 Guek!

Dhalphir on
    edited December 2010
    I told you to buy a GTX460 Guek!

i know! i went the cheap route :(

at least it works now though. but now i'll be nervous about other games in the future

Guek on
    edited December 2010
    wow, HuK is taking this guy apart

Dhalphir on
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There are so many variables on PC hardware compatibility and reliability it's not even funny. I have an XFX Radeon HD 4890 and SC2 hasn't hung or crashed on me since the beta, the only problem is my fan died. :P

Stasis on
    edited December 2010
    Personally, given how different PCs can be, I think its amazing games work at all, not that they don't work on 0.0001% of configurations occasionally

Dhalphir on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow, ati is just fine. Nvidia isn't any better or worse, though I feel ati has had the best bang for the buck with hardware lately. I certainly haven't seen any of these issues and I've been updating drivers with every release up to the current ones. Guek, I can tell you that I'm running a 5870 with the most recent drivers and all my games work great. And I have a very wide range of games. I would tell you not to worry, but since you already have issues I don't know. Anyways, a subset of users will have problems with drivers or hardware...either Nvidia or Ati. Unfortunately, Guek fell into this subset. I just get ticked off when people encounter a problem and immediately yell, "Ati/Nvidia sucks" when in reality both can have issues for a wide variety of reasons. This is just a frustration with PC hardware in general. Weird incompatibilities that make random things randomly not work and it can be a bitch to track down.

Maratastik on
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We had to scrounge to find a player worse than joe, and he choked

That really hurt, man. iNcontroL comparing my play to a mouthful of a stranger's feces was hilarious, but for some reason this really cut to the quick.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This isn't D&D Olorin, logic has no place here ;)

Seguer on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    voodoo4life

this post is a vintage, from the year 1998

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    HuK's APM is higher than I remember it being like a week ago.

His Corkiness on
    edited December 2010
    know what's incredibly annoying? the fact that if i'm hosting a game in a custom match and my opponent leaves, i have to sit there and watch the game load before i can search for a new match. lame.
    Olorin wrote: »
    Wow, ati is just fine. Nvidia isn't any better or worse, though I feel ati has had the best bang for the buck with hardware lately. I certainly haven't seen any of these issues and I've been updating drivers with every release up to the current ones. Guek, I can tell you that I'm running a 5870 with the most recent drivers and all my games work great. And I have a very wide range of games. I would tell you not to worry, but since you already have issues I don't know. Anyways, a subset of users will have problems with drivers or hardware...either Nvidia or Ati. Unfortunately, Guek fell into this subset. I just get ticked off when people encounter a problem and immediately yell, "Ati/Nvidia sucks" when in reality both can have issues for a wide variety of reasons. This is just a frustration with PC hardware in general. Weird incompatibilities that make random things randomly not work and it can be a bitch to track down.

sorry if i came off as a hater, though i sincerely do feel that nvidia offers better drivers and hardware due to my past experiences with both nvidia and ati. all i know is that i've had much better luck in the past with nvidia and that i generally hear more gripes about ati, particularly regarding their driver support, than i do with nvidia.

Guek on
    edited December 2010
    i have learned one life lesson from starcraft 2 streams

and that is that canadians have horrible musical taste

undeinPirat on
    edited December 2010
    man that game.

HuK just retreated all the time and gave him crap tons of free units.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2010
    know what's incredibly annoying? the fact that if i'm hosting a game in a custom match and my opponent leaves, i have to sit there and watch the game load before i can search for a new match. lame.

sorry if i came off as a hater, though i sincerely do feel that nvidia offers better drivers and hardware due to my past experiences with both nvidia and ati. all i know is that i've had much better luck in the past with nvidia and that i generally hear more gripes about ati, particularly regarding their driver support, than i do with nvidia.

quickly go menu and log out.

Dhalphir on
    edited December 2010

quickly go menu and log out.

that's still retarded

Guek on
    edited December 2010
    This song on HuK's stream was good the first 3 times.

Now it's getting kind of repetitive.

3cl1ps3 on
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think we should put a list of which players actually listen to good music. Example: IdrA - Good. HuK - God Awful.

EDIT: As for Protoss players who regularly stream, I think Response is the one person I see who consistently streams and he actually plays Protoss! [tiny]Fucking minigun[/tiny]

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    edited December 2010
    huk needs a mic

i feel like i said that years ago

but i think it'd be hilarious

edit: also i want idra to stream so this late night coding won't be as bad

undeinPirat on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    We had to scrounge to find a player worse than joe, and he choked

That really hurt, man. iNcontroL comparing my play to a mouthful of a stranger's feces was hilarious, but for some reason this really cut to the quick.

On the other hand, it was entertaining. Plus, there are some rediculiously awesome tutorials for Zerg, so you could be diamond+ in no time. Srsly, it's a super easy path to perfect play until counter strats become more common.
    Zerg help with pro player Eg.Machine. Here are three videos featuring opening builds and other great information when playing as Zerg. Each video is an hour long and will help you go a long way at improving your Zerg gameplay. Help with ZvP here, ZvT here, and ZvZ here.

Every Zerg player should feel blessed that there's such a perfect tutorial program out there. You should really take a look at- oh wait. nvm

zerg rush on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, in case people didn't notice, you can find the second hour of each of those coaching sessions on his archives.

His Corkiness on