As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: Burrowing to the Smurf village.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i have learned one life lesson from starcraft 2 streams

and that is that canadians have horrible musical taste

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah you can just log out and back in if the other person leaves, it's dumb, it's b.net 2.0!

peacekeeper on
    edited December 2010
    How many Cols does Huk need exactly here

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All of his supply.

3cl1ps3 on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "I'm playing the TLO of the Scrabble world. They keep using fancy, show-off words that end up losing them the game."

ahahahahah

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Getting walled in with pylons makes me rage.

I mean, I can bust it easily enough, but the question is will I do it fast enough.

SkyGheNe on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    "I'm playing the TLO of the Scrabble world. They keep using fancy, show-off words that end up losing them the game."

ahahahahah

that is

the best quote

citation

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    repimg-33-177306.jpg

There, now be harsh.

A few things.

- you stopped building probes for a looooong time. For about five minutes you only had 31 probes. When you expanded you only had that many, and you expanded fairly late. Never ever stop making probes. You can stop making them when you have ~70. Not before that.

- You built a robotics bay, got the colossus range upgrade, and didn't build a colossus for a while, even when you had the money to do so. A wasted investment for a good 2-3 minutes.

- be more active with your units. Kill those destructible rocks, poke into the middle to see what he's up to. Don't be passive with them.

- Spend your money. You were often floating high for the entire game. If you see a surplus of more than 500-600, build something: units, production structures, tech, expansions.

- watch those early supply blocks. Once you play more you'll have a sense of when to build those pylons and when they'll finish so you can constantly spend money (and thus keep your money low). But a good start is generally: pylons at 9, 16, 23, and 30. At that point you should be zeroing in on warp gates, maybe immortals/colossi, or something else. Start building 2 pylons at a time.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BTW - what I find really fascinating is that Terran was initially really strong in the Beta and even the months following release - but as a result, I think we've seen more guides and informational videos on Toss and Zerg, resulting in stronger play from players in each race pool in the lower levels (sub 1500 diamond).

Terrans sub diamond are really, really bad compared to their counterparts anecdotally speaking.

SkyGheNe on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »

ahahahahah

that is

the best quote

citation

Girlfriend a few minutes ago.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i oversay this

but literally

she's a keeper

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited December 2010
    i oversay this

but literally

she's a keeper
    cryptkeeper.jpg
    ?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    i oversay this

but literally

she's a keeper
    KGWC3.jpg
    ?

Fixed that for you.

zerg rush on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    voodoo4life

this post is a vintage, from the year 1998

I paid $200 for my Voodoo 5 5500, best $200 spent ever.

Regarding your issue Guek, I had trouble with my ATI because Windows automatically installs some really old drivers and then you overwrite them and some dumb crap might remain.

So yeah some gymnastics required: Disable windows automatic driver installation, uninstall the videocard drivers, run driver sweeper to get rid of all driver traces, install latest drivers.

Satsumomo on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I enjoy watching Minigun's stream more than HuK's, really (and not just because Mini's stream quality is infinitely better). I think HuK is probably better, but it seems like Minigun tries more stuff. Also he 3-0'd qxc a few nights ago, and I love watching any PvT where the P wins.

Graviija on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Watching pro's streams is quite interesting mostly because they never fucking win. I watch Idra's and HuK's streams whenever they are on (maybe for an hour at a time) and they never ever win. I think I have seen Idra win one game and I think I have seen HuK win maybe 3.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    voodoo4life

this post is a vintage, from the year 1998

I paid $200 for my Voodoo 5 5500, best $200 spent ever.

Regarding your issue Guek, I had trouble with my ATI because Windows automatically installs some really old drivers and then you overwrite them and some dumb crap might remain.

So yeah some gymnastics required: Disable windows automatic driver installation, uninstall the videocard drivers, run driver sweeper to get rid of all driver traces, install latest drivers.

Actually this is really important, Guek. Especially since you previously owned an Nvidia card. You absolutely must run driver sweeper and clean out all the remnants of your Nvidia drivers before you can install the Ati ones.

Maratastik on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, noone is ever on mumble anymore, nor on battlenet...

Maratastik on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olorin wrote: »
    Also, noone is ever on mumble anymore, nor on battlenet...
    They're all watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ozRPO6vP4

His Corkiness on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would be on Mumble and on battlenet but I have a crappy mouse and can't play until the stupid airline gives me my stupid bag which they stupidly lost.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited December 2010
    I'm not on as often anymore I am being a bigger nerd painting models, but when I am anyone is free to msg me for a game, usually I just play customs against randoms anyway.

peacekeeper on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Models for what game peacekeeper?

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2010
    flames of war atm!

You know who had bad macro? The nazi's, and look they lost too!

peacekeeper on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Trus wrote: »
    Watching pro's streams is quite interesting mostly because they never fucking win. I watch Idra's and HuK's streams whenever they are on (maybe for an hour at a time) and they never ever win. I think I have seen Idra win one game and I think I have seen HuK win maybe 3.

I would venture that they are fucking with their build order and trying really weird shit around when they're fucking around on the ladder. Stuff like building only reapers the whole game.

Robman on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They really aren't, though, they play pretty much completely standard.

Dhalphir on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    HuK playing a NEX member on the ladder

http://www.livestream.com/HuKTV

Dhalphir on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    flames of war atm!

You know who had bad macro? The nazi's, and look they lost too!

Where are your spotters? The allies are dropping on the beach and you're relying on static defenses while your mech army is sitting idle. Did you not hotkey your panzer division or something?

Also, look at your atrocious macro. You keep trying to spam gas producing units, even though you can't hold the double-gas expos near Russia.

zerg rush on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    now that i'm playing again, i can once more complain about terran!

honestly though, ghosts...fuck ghosts. it's nonsense. i wouldn't mind if ghosts were just effective against HTs, sentries, and immortals. That'd be acceptable. As is though, they make those three units absolutely useless. EMP's range needs to be cut in half. Well...that's probably too drastic...but it'd make me happy, that's for sure.

It's not like colossi or storm suddenly make marines and marauders unable to fire. The fact that ghosts exist as a purely anti-protoss unit just feels like complete bullshit.

/end rant

Guek on
    edited December 2010
    i'm just glad 99% of terrans in the world, which is 100% of all terrans on the ladder, suck at emps.

Dhalphir on
  • McSnugglesMcSnuggles Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ghosts are good, and a great addition mid/late game, but the problem is that if you don't hit every last HT you are right fucked.

Also warping in new, fresh HT's instantly, and the fact that collosi aren't nearly as hurt by EMP as, say, a stalker.

But Ill take a ghost nerf if you take a storm nerf. Hell, you can make storm lower on the tech tree-just reduce the damage.

McSnuggles on
    360 Gamertag: Mcsnuggles
    371610-1.png
    edited December 2010
    all protoss would be happy with that

say, if a templar archives did not require a twilight council, if it was just a cybercore requirement, but storm was reduced to 75% of its current strength

Dhalphir on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    now that i'm playing again, i can once more complain about terran!

honestly though, ghosts...fuck ghosts. it's nonsense. i wouldn't mind if ghosts were just effective against HTs, sentries, and immortals. That'd be acceptable. As is though, they make those three units absolutely useless. EMP's range needs to be cut in half. Well...that's probably too drastic...but it'd make me happy, that's for sure.

It's not like colossi or storm suddenly make marines and marauders unable to fire. The fact that ghosts exist as a purely anti-protoss unit just feels like complete bullshit.

/end rant
    EMP is the most frightening ability in the game. Relatively easy to use, always, always useful against protoss, and really hard to do anything about (feedback-ing a ghost is basically impossible for me). Half your armies health, gone in an instant.

Fortunately like 1% of gold level terrans are aware of this ability. But I fear for when I get promoted.

edit - so EMP outranged feedback? THAT is ridiculous.

Graviija on
    edited December 2010
    50-60% and you have a deal.

Edit: I had no idea HuK played company of heroes.

Edit 2: Actually, storms stack right? Just make them not stack. Problem solved and 200/200 terran armies don't die in 5 spammed clicks anymore,

McSnuggles on
    371610-1.png
    edited December 2010
    no storm doesn't stack

we don't use emp that much because it seems more effective to get units that actually kill stuff

peacekeeper on
    edited December 2010
    McSnuggles wrote: »
    Ghosts are good, and a great addition mid/late game, but the problem is that if you don't hit every last HT you are right fucked.

Also warping in new, fresh HT's instantly, and the fact that collosi aren't nearly as hurt by EMP as, say, a stalker.

But Ill take a ghost nerf if you take a storm nerf. Hell, you can make storm lower on the tech tree-just reduce the damage.

how is it hard to hit 90% of the HTs?? it's a fairly large AoE and ghosts move a helluva lot faster than HTs. You can't have HTs in the front of your army because they'll get hit instantly and you can't have them in the back because they move so slow, they're easily targeted as the move in closer to your army. Ghosts completely shut down HTs in every aspect. The only way to consistently keep HTs worth a damn against a terran with at the very least mediocre EMP placement (which is actually more rare than I'd expect) is to micro them like crazy. It's nearly impossible to get more than a maximum of 2 feedbacks off since HTs and ghosts have the same range and EMP is an AoE and microing HTs to avoid EMPs requires a crazy amount of micro due to their sluggish speed.

of course ghosts are shitty against colossi...that makes sense. but ghosts can deal incredibly massive amounts of damage to just about any gateway army as well as completely shut down HTs with relative ease.

Guek on
    edited December 2010
    no storm doesn't stack

we don't use emp that much because it seems more effective to get units that actually kill stuff

Ok honestly I didn't think it stacked, but like 5 or 6 other terran told me it did and I was like welp.

Guek, you should have pylons everywhere. I've never brought out ghosts against a guy with HT's and not had to deal with the fact that every single emp is met with near instant warp in of another small army of HT's ready to one shot my army. Even more, I've fought a decent amount of guys who put a decent amount of micro into splitting their HT's while moving.

And really, I don't notice a lot of the damage from the gateway army. To me, they are only there to provide a kind of meat shield to protect the real killers-HT's and collosi.

McSnuggles on
    371610-1.png
    edited December 2010
    no storm doesn't stack

you mean so you can a-move?
    i keed, i keed...kinda

i hate to say terrans don't like to use emp just because they don't like to micro but i can't see another explanation as to why EMPs aren't used more often against toss. They can certainly be countered, but until the toss gets a large number of colossi or unless they go heavy VR, it's pretty devastating.

Guek on
    edited December 2010
    McSnuggles wrote: »
    no storm doesn't stack

Ok honestly I didn't think it stacked, but like 5 or 6 other terran told me it did and I was like welp.

Guek, you should have pylons everywhere. I've never brought out ghosts against a guy with HT's and not had to deal with the fact that every single emp is met with near instant warp in of another small army of HT's ready to one shot my army. Even more, I've fought a decent amount of guys who put a decent amount of micro into splitting their HT's while moving.

And really, I don't notice a lot of the damage from the gateway army. To me, they are only there to provide a kind of meat shield to protect the real killers-HT's and collosi.

that kind of massive HT warp in is only really possible once the toss is running full on 3+ bases.

before that, you're much too gas constrained on merely 2 bases.

Guek on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the real explanation is the same as why you don't rush to colossus on one base

it's a similar explanation anyway

and yes ghosts are good

Feels Good Man on
    edited December 2010
    Here's my reasoning. You can't use ghost early on, because then you just have a build that's susceptible to a shitload of what toss can do to beat you, and because making lolrauders/marines is just more effective. Mid and late, you basically have to have multiple ghosts assuming a HT tech tree. Why? Because you'll need multiple EMPs for the warp in HT's, or else you lose right there.

Now, making a bunch of medivacs/vikings can be taxing on gas. I often have my money to low to afford the 3-4 ghosts I'd need minimum versus a later game toss army.

Edit: And you don't need a massive HT warp in mid game. One or two is enough to win a battle.

McSnuggles on
    371610-1.png