As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need some input on a new keyboard (ha!)

übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
So, my current keyboard and mouse are starting to die and it's time to upgrade. As per the mouse thread I've decided on a G500. I still need a new mousepad and a keyboard though.

I have no idea what to look for in a mousepad, for the keyboard I'm currently looking at...

Logitech G110

Microsoft Sidewinder X4

I was looking for something with macros, a wrist rest (Preferably detachable, not too picky about that) and can handle ghosting pretty well. Backllit is ok, not a must. Those above are in the 70 dollar range, cheaper would be nice. I'd prefer to get it on newegg, but if Amazon has it cheaper I can get it there as well.

There's some highly rated ones on newegg that are brands I'm not familiar with, so any input you guys can give would be appreciated.

As for mousepads, any general suggestions would be good, as long as I'm not spending $50 on one.

camo_sig.png
übergeek on

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just bought an X4 after using a Zboard for four years, and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. I was going to go for a mechanical keyboard but couldn't justify it right now, so I was hunting around with a keyboard with somewhat similar design features in a standard membrane. Considering that's a fool's errand, I just tried to find something that had as little keyboard "mushiness" as possible.

It feels pretty sturdy, the key travel isn't really all that bad, and, in fact, some of the better I've used. I hated how my friend's G11 felt when I was trying to type on it, and so I had to rule out all the Logitech boards, which is a shame, because I love their mice. The only real issues I had when adapting to the X4 was the extra column of keys past the Escape column. I find myself hitting the Macro switch when I want to go for escape, but I'm doing that less and less over time. I've had the thing for like a week and I'm really happy with the purchase, and the price was pretty damn good too.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the feedback Jones, I guess my horrible joke has scared everyone else off.....I didn't think it was -that- bad. =)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have been using a Kinesis contoured keyboard for a few years (since 1997). Not the greatest for gaming, but does have macros, key reassignment, optional foot pedal, and enormous price.

It's the one with key wells in the upper left, left hand picture

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    rahl07rahl07 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've got the X4, and my bro got the X6, we both love ours. Only downside, that lack of audio connectivity is kind of awkward to work around if you're used to having that feature available.

rahl07 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    rahl07 wrote: »
    I've got the X4, and my bro got the X6, we both love ours. Only downside, that lack of audio connectivity is kind of awkward to work around if you're used to having that feature available.

If you mean ports in the keyboard, I use a USB headset on my front USB ports, so that's no big deal.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    rahl07rahl07 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes, that's what I meant; I used to plug a mic into my KB with the standard 1/8" jac, and when it suddenly wasn't there, I was a little bamboozled.

rahl07 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think the X6 would be a bit overkill, especially with those huge volume knobs on the top.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've only ever bought the highest-rated $5-$15 dollar keyboards on Newegg and haven't had any problems with them

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Dell Quietkey - possibly the loudest keyboard ever made.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been using the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Comfort 5000--wireless mouse and keyboard combo pack. It's very conveniently sized, light, and if anything every goes wrong with it, even years later, you can call MS and they'll pretty always send you a replacement for free. Very good integration with Windows 7.

But, you've already picked out a mouse, so that might not be worthwhile.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I've been using the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Comfort 5000--wireless mouse and keyboard combo pack. It's very conveniently sized, light, and if anything every goes wrong with it, even years later, you can call MS and they'll pretty always send you a replacement for free. Very good integration with Windows 7.

Well, I'd prefer a wired keyboard, but maybe I can find something similar that's wireless without the mouse. I appreciate the suggestions. =)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    übergeek wrote: »

Well, I'd prefer a wired keyboard, but maybe I can find something similar that's wireless without the mouse. I appreciate the suggestions. =)

The MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 is wired and the best keyboard I've ever used.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    übergeek wrote: »

If you want a wired keyboard, than yeah, forget that suggestion. I bought it because I regularly have to take my keyboard and mouse to my living room (and I'm too cheap to buy a bluetooth set).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So far I've only had input on MS keyboards, anyone else have any thoughts on other brands?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The quality of Logitech keyboards are about the same as their Microsoft counterparts, and in my opinion look a little nicer. I don't have experience with any other brands.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The SteelSeries Shift is a pretty nice board. It has 8 macro keys and 3 macro set keys. You can have 24 macros in total, 8 per set. You can also record your macro's on the fly at any time. It works very similar to a Z-Board in that you can pop the keys out and slide in game specific sets. It does Z-Board backwards compatibility as well. Makes it really easy to keep clean. The action on the keys is great, they're rubber dome but they don't feel squishy at all. It has two usb ports, one powered, and headset inputs. Detachable arm rest.

This comes at a price of around $90 however. They also have mouse surfaces that aren't 50 dollars (not all of them at least) and pretty solid.

DekuStick on