As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limnic eruption [chat]

Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Scarier than fiction.

lakefumes.jpg
A limnic eruption, also referred to as a lake overturn, is a rare type of natural disaster in which carbon dioxide (CO2) suddenly erupts from deep lake water, suffocating wildlife, livestock and humans. Such an eruption may also cause tsunamis in the lake as the rising CO2 displaces water. Scientists believe landslides, volcanic activity, or explosions can trigger such an eruption. Lakes in which such activity occurs may be known as limnically active lakes or exploding lakes. Some features of limnically active lakes include:

* CO2-saturated incoming water
* A cool lake bottom indicating an absence of direct volcanic interaction with lake waters
* An upper and lower thermal layer with differing CO2 saturations
* Proximity to areas with volcanic activity

Scientists have recently determined, from investigations into the mass casualties in the 1980s at Lake Monoun and Lake Nyos, that limnic eruptions and volcanic eruptions, although indirectly related, are actually separate types of disaster events.

A massive invisible death cloud, suffocating all life within miles of the event.

Mother Nature is a raging demon bitch who will kill us all.

Discuss.

Evil Multifarious on

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mmmm Tron soundtrack.

This is excellent.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I watched season one of Hyperdrive on Netflix last night...

man the brits have it right when it comes to TV... Make a lot of really good shows, make them half an hour long, give them six episode seasons and limit it to about three seasons max so that they go out with a bang and on top. (and hopefully get to wrap things up, but not always, sadly...)

Like Big Brother, The X Factor and whatever reality drivel is coming out!

Maybe ten or fifteen years ago you could say British television was better than US television, but US scripted TV blows UK TV away and has for the last decade. The West Wing isn't a better show with 6 episodes a year. Buffy the Vampire Slayer isn't better with 20 total episodes. Breaking Bad isn't better with half hour episodes.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

Maybe ten or fifteen years ago you could say British television was better than US television, but US scripted TV blows UK TV away and has for the last decade. The West Wing isn't a better show with 6 episodes a year. Buffy the Vampire Slayer isn't better with 20 total episodes. Breaking Bad isn't better with half hour episodes.

This is how the US removes competition. We export our reality TV and McDonalds and bring other nations down to our level.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mother Nature is a raging demon bitch who will kill us all.

I get back at her by doing my part to change the global climate. Take heat, bitch!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I watched season one of Hyperdrive on Netflix last night...

man the brits have it right when it comes to TV... Make a lot of really good shows, make them half an hour long, give them six episode seasons and limit it to about three seasons max so that they go out with a bang and on top. (and hopefully get to wrap things up, but not always, sadly...)

In all fairness, only the good stuff from the UK comes to Netflix Instant Streaming, so I don't get to see the bad stuff.

However all of the Reamericality programming is on Netflix Instant, and that's where I got my ideas...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    playin LoL ololol

trolling ranked games like it's mah jawb

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There once was a quite frightening [chat]
    'bout death, suffocation and all that
    invisible death
    that sucks out your breath
    a new horror that we all can now quail at

I'm not very happy with the last line...

Galahad on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy shit, the first profile picture for this girl on OkCupid looks like Olivia Wilde in Tron.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited December 2010
    Holy shit, the first profile picture for this girl on OkCupid looks like Olivia Wilde in Tron.
    Maybe it is Olivia Wilde!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "and each villager died where he sat"

Evil Multifarious on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, would we even get a chance to struggle, or is the oxygen just gone

I mean, if I had to pick a natural disaster related death, an invisible cloud that robs my lungs of air...

This is basically just drowning, isn't it. Drowning on land.

Linespider5 on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    unto us a chat is born

unto us

a chat is given

Hachface on
    edited December 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    Sadly, her other photos don't maintain this standard.

Although she is still a very attractive lady. Unfortunately, it seems I've already messaged her once before and she didn't respond.

OH WELL

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    At least if you breathed in a cloud of CO2 you'd realize you were suffocating.

If it was a cloud of CO...

Hachface on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    unto us a chat is born

unto us

a chat is given

UNTO US
    (unto us)

A CHAT IS GIVEN
    (a chat is given)

FOR, THE WORK DAY TO BE, LESS TE-DE-US!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    There once was a quite frightening [chat]
    'bout death, suffocation and all that
    invisible death
    that sucks out your breath
    a new horror that we all can now quail at

I'm not very happy with the last line...

Take out the "now" and "all"

Kilroy on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

This is how the US removes competition. We export our reality TV and McDonalds and bring other nations down to our level.

to be fair, our budgets are much, much bigger than BBC budgets. On the one hand, it gives us our long seasons and higher production values, but on the other, it lets in some truly godawful filler stories from time to time, or the writers just get lazy and complacent, while I think the time/budget crunch on BBC shows squeezes out some more inspired creativity from British writers.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010

Although she is still a very attractive lady. Unfortunately, it seems I've already messaged her once before and she didn't respond.

OH WELL

Don't worry; there are Plenty of Fish out there.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited December 2010
    Also HALLO PSYCHO

how it do

Hakkekage on
    edited December 2010
    So, would we even get a chance to struggle, or is the oxygen just gone

I mean, if I had to pick a natural disaster related death, an invisible cloud that robs my lungs of air...

This is basically just drowning, isn't it. Drowning on land.

I would imagine the displacement is gradual as the co2 settles.

You'd find yourself feeling a bit short of breath even though you're breathing deeply. Others around would too. Everyone would be a little concerned, but soon you'd start to feel drowsy. You'd see your dog stumble to the corner and lie down, and people outside staggering to benches or curbs to take a seat. Moments later your eyes would close and you'd be asleep, in the dark.

A week later someone drives through a town of peaceful corpses.

Actually that is CO isn't it

CO2 would just be poison gas and screaming and confusion.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

OH WELL

Don't worry; there are Plenty of Fish out there.

i c wut u did there

Hakkekage on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oliviaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I finally get to see Sammie again today.

IT HAS BEEN SO LONG

(like a week or something)

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited December 2010
    When I put my mice down, they usually just get a little shaky and gaspy if I turn the gas on slowly. Basically they just go to sleep. I imagine that it would feel like being out of breath and very sleepy.

But if I accidentally turn it on too fast they convulse and really seem to feel a lot of distress. (I usually just turn the gas on a trickle and let them go over about ten minutes or so.)

So I'm thinking sudden CO2 poisoning must be pretty painful.

Galahad on
    edited December 2010
    Galahad...what is it that you do where you have to put mice down on a regular basis? Eeeeeevil scientist? Scientist for the good of humanity? Snake?

Hakkekage on
    edited December 2010
    I know that I'd kill myself with CO poisoning if I wanted to do it.
    Seems the least awful way.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited December 2010
    I'd go skydiving without a parachute. Falling from the sky sounds like the coolest way to die for me.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2010

WALKING DEAD TV SPOILER
    I would instigate the zombie apocalypse, then find my way to the CDC so I could die in a nanosecond from an intense fireball.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Galahad...what is it that you do where you have to put mice down on a regular basis? Eeeeeevil scientist? Scientist for the good of humanity? Snake?

I like to hope that I am a scientist for the good of humanity. ;)

I'm working on a phd @ a medical college, I work with transgenic mouse lines. Mainly mice that have issues w/ their ovaries right now. But also genitourinary development in general and a bit of cancer applicable research.

Galahad on
    edited December 2010

I think a bullet to the brain is actually the least awful way for you. But it's hell on your family and friends.

Hachface on
    edited December 2010
    When I put my mice down, they usually just get a little shaky and gaspy if I turn the gas on slowly. Basically they just go to sleep. I imagine that it would feel like being out of breath and very sleepy.

But if I accidentally turn it on too fast they convulse and really seem to feel a lot of distress. (I usually just turn the gas on a trickle and let them go over about ten minutes or so.)

CO2 poisoning would basically be drowning. Incredibly painful.

Hachface on
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I like to hope that I am a scientist for the good of humanity. ;)

I'm working on a phd @ a medical college, I work with transgenic mouse lines. Mainly mice that have issues w/ their ovaries right now. But also genitourinary development in general and a bit of cancer applicable research.

snaaaaaaake

no but seriously that is pretty admirable there

Hakkekage on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Damn it Kanye. This is why I like him despite his shenanigans.

Too many urkels on your team
    Thats why your Winslow.

Ludious on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Damn it Kanye. This is why I like him despite his shenanigans.

Too many urkels on your team
    Thats why your Winslow.

Kanye writes good lyrics... no doubting that.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

WALKING DEAD TV SPOILER
    I would instigate the zombie apocalypse, then find my way to the CDC so I could die in a nanosecond from an intense fireball.

Sigh.
    I thought that whole bit really sucked. The season ending on that note was just disappointing. It started out so promising!

Hakkekage on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

CO2 poisoning would basically be drowning. Incredibly painful.

I thought it was the same as gassing yourself with a car? Which I've always heard is painless.

Leitner on
    edited December 2010
    Bullet in your brain risks horrible mutilation if it fails to kill you

it's hard to get a weapon that can really jelly your brain, at least in Canada. One that you could fire yourself anyways.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited December 2010
    High tension wire
    noose
    tree
    sports car

Galahad on
    edited December 2010
    I found walking dead started really strong and got worse with each ep. It became laughably bad by the end.

Evil Multifarious on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just spent 120 dollars on drank for tomorrow

I got a feeling it's gonna be good

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.