As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't Get Satisfying Yawns

PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, for the past few nights, I've been unable to, well, complete my yawns. Normally, after drawing air into my lungs, I would feel this wave of satisfaction right before I exhale, but now I seem to freeze right before that happens, mouth open for a few seconds, before giving up completely unsatisfied. I wouldn't call this a medical emergency, obviously, but it's still really annoying. Anyone have experience with this, or any tips or advice?

Peccavi on

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yawn as normal, and when you get to the 'stopping point', hold your breath as long as you can - after a few seconds, you might feel like you can take more air in, so do that, and then hold the full breath. Maybe it's because the initial breath fills the lungs and stretches them? But it works for me when I half a crappy half-yawn.

Delzhand on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    So, for the past few nights, I've been unable to, well, complete my yawns. Normally, after drawing air into my lungs, I would feel this wave of satisfaction right before I exhale, but now I seem to freeze right before that happens, mouth open for a few seconds, before giving up completely unsatisfied. I wouldn't call this a medical emergency, obviously, but it's still really annoying. Anyone have experience with this, or any tips or advice?

I get into periods where I do that, but it's a nervousness thing. Have you been anxious in the last few nights?

admanb on
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I get this due to nervousness. What I do is "force" my body to yawn. To force the body to yawn, open your mouth and begin to yawn like you would use to do. When you hit the stopping point, you keep widening the muscles around your mouth and your face. Eventually due to the muscles being exercised, you will automatically yawn as a reflex.

Hope this will help you.

Yogo on
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had what I think is a very similar problem, real deep breaths and yawns were just not as satisfying as normal, I ended up going to the doctor, and they sent me to the hospital, despite having 99% blood oxygen.

It ended up being a mix between anxiety (something close to a panic attack) and high blood pressure, which can make you feel short of breath despite having enough.

I'd get your BP checked maybe.

reddeath on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I never went to the doctor for it, but I went to him for some unrelated issue and I was doing it a lot. He said, "Nervous?"

Haven't worried about it since.

admanb on
  • RasputinAXPRasputinAXP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's also a sign of blocked arteries according to my dad's cardiologist at NYU Medical Center.

RasputinAXP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.