As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i dunno what they're bitching about. some racing wheel? whatever. [game podcasts]

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh wait, I thought when you said that brad was a diva you meant this. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWXFYIj4Xg

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antihippy, thank you for posting that (Edit: The Nolan North v. Nolan North video). When they mentioned it in the GB deliberations, I either missed what game it was or they didn't say it. But man, that alone makes it hard to think of any other possible winners for that category.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm listening to the first GB GOTY and its confusing my emotions. I'm disliking Brad way more then usual and liking Jeff a bit just because he defended Darksiders.

Don't worry, Jeff will soon come out swinging with his irrational dislike of Red Dead Redemption. Based on the reasoning that he didn't want to play it and it's probably bad and boring and stupid because he doesn't like it. Sound logic. You can hear the petulence in his voice when he talks about it. It's the same petulence he had during the Castlevania Lords of Shadow quick look. The tone of voice that says "I've already decided I don't care about this".

They all go back and forth enough to balance each other out. However, I think Vinny might be a brother of mine that I never knew. I know enough about Brad's taste to like the opposite of everything he likes.

Well thats good to know. My dislike for Gerstman must continue cause that mug of his could never truly spout good things.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I re-listened to infamous DLC debate again today, and Brad was totally right to fight his corner.
    Vinny's argument basically boiled down to 'ME2 is better than Bioshock 2 so Shadow Broker wins'.
    Brad's argument that the packs should be judged separately to the games they were attached to made a lot more sense to me.

I haven't played either pack in case anyone is wondering, I'm just basing my opinion on the ideological arguments.

Diarmuid on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If that's what it boils down to, I think Brad's right

I may listen to it today. I'm sure Shadow Broker spoilers can't be that big of a plot point if it's DLC, right?

UnbreakableVow on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If that's what it boils down to, I think Brad's right

I may listen to it today. I'm sure Shadow Broker spoilers can't be that big of a plot point if it's DLC, right?

I wouldn't, if I were you.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can kind of figure out that there's only one way the Shadow Broker mission can end with it tying into the next game.

The most interesting part is the Shadow Broker himself (which they spoil) and the unlockable files you get at the end.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I knew I liked Vinny

T4CT on
    edited December 2010
    BRAD SHOEMAKER WHY ARE YOU BEING INSUFFERABLE AGAIN

T4CT on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm so fucking glad they picked the right game for Best Story

Because that was the right fucking choice and anyone who disagrees is one hundred percent wrong

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited December 2010
    it was the right choice

but arguing that ME2 deserves to be on that list

come the fuck on

T4CT on
    edited December 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    it was the right choice

come the fuck on

Yeah that should be a foregone conclusion

Characters and character studies totally fall under the banner of "story" and I don't know what his beef was

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Because he thought the last boss sucked

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    edited December 2010
    it's like saying a cake isn't the best cake because the bottom two inches is vanilla instead of it all being chocolate

what the fuck

just eat your cake

T4CT on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    it was the right choice

come the fuck on

Yeah that should be a foregone conclusion

Characters and character studies totally fall under the banner of "story" and I don't know what his beef was

I got the impression that some of them aren't aware of the difference betwen "plot" and "story".

reVerse on
    edited December 2010
    Besides the last boss was not that bad

Like, seriously

No one should be that angry about it

Especially considering all the other awesome stuff that happens during the ending both before and after the final boss fight

I mean come on

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2010
    and I think Vinny brought it up, but

the reaper being a human is canonically explained

the reapers repurpose themselves as the race they feel has hit the peak in that 50,000 year cycle or whatever it is

it was a little bit silly but nowhere near what Brad was arguing

T4CT on
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vinny's top ten list speaks to me. The top 3 specifically is the exact order I'd place mine.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
    edited December 2010
    Having never played mass effect 2 it seems that his beef is that overall plot is weak, it forces him through a critical path without alot of warning and has a bad ending.

How valid is any of this?

Antihippy on
    edited December 2010
    not valid

T4CT on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    not valid

Maybe the complaint about hitting the point-of-no-return (if you want to save your crew, that is). The warning they give you is a little veiled, and I might not have understood it if I didn't know beforehand.

But you're given all the time in the world before the IFF mission to do anything you want to do.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Totally fucking valid! The overall plot in ME2 is worse than in ME1. The companion quests, however, are ace.

That game is all sidemissions

Jintor on
    edited December 2010
    Also gotta say that the way they picked best DS is hilariously bullshit. :lol:

Also ryan really likes to say thrice.

Antihippy on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Totally fucking valid! The overall plot in ME2 is worse than in ME1. The companion quests, however, are ace.

That game is all sidemissions

Uh...

The companion quests are part of the overall plot. They're not sidemissions.

ME2's story has a very different structure than ME1's. And I don't think it's worse.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The overall plot in ME2 are a few missions that punctuate the near two dozen dossier/loyalty missions. I'm confident in saying the characters were the plot.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Also gotta say that the way they picked best DS is hilariously bullshit. :lol:

Also ryan really likes to say thrice.

Totally agree with the result though. Like Jeff that game just exists inside my DS for months at a time.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Canadian voices criticism is really weird to me. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but it didn't seem noticeable to me from any of the videos I've seen, or what I played of Case Zero. It just seems really weird to hear Ryan say that the supposed heavy accents "took him out of the experience".

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I couldn't hear it at all. Maybe that's 'cos I'm Australian.

Jintor on
    edited December 2010

the reapers repurpose themselves as the race they feel has hit the peak in that 50,000 year cycle or whatever it is

I think it's more that any Reaper that they create is made from a certain species, so they make it look like the species that was harvested to create it

But yes it was totally adequate to explain it's appearance

And yeah, there's some serious Canadian-ness going on Dead Rising 2, mostly from Chuck

It's just weird pronunciation things, and the fact that his voice never matches his face

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i dunno, i liked chuck's voice and didn't notice anything weird about it. it's strange, i always thought frank west sounded odd in DR1 but in case west i just think he sounds funny (though it doesn't help he had dr.wily's hair and a workout suit)

Local H Jay on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, now I'm all self-conscious aboot my accent.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

I think it's more that any Reaper that they create is made from a certain species, so they make it look like the species that was harvested to create it

But yes it was totally adequate to explain it's appearance

But the argument against wasn't that it was unexplained, it was that the only way for the story to go was to a bad boss.

If the end boss had been a giant robot that looked like a robot, like Jeff suggested, then that would have been totally unexplained and not in line with the story. Which was kinda weird, because that also suggest that Jeff didn't really get the story but was still arguing for it.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kuratosu wrote: »

Don't be, brother! Unless you're a voice actor.

I can hear it, too. I don't think it's as egregious as they do, though.

They did pick the right one for worst accent, though. I thought the whole game took place in some French-Canadian version of Seattle because of the accents!

I think Red Dead is the best choice for story, despite the fact that Mexico drags like a motherfuck. I also think that category shows once again how overall weak storytelling is in video games, unless you're like a two minute long mega-depressing indie PC game. Alan Wake is a really solid game, but they point it out right there while discussing it: it's mostly a riff on Twin Peaks (and In the Mouth of Madness). The storytelling isn't quite strong enough to push it past it's borrowed nature. Red Dead is a bit of an anomaly there in as much as it's a really fucking good western (minus draggy bits) with one hell of an ending.

Medium Dave on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I kind of liked the reaper baby because it was batshit. Of course, how much I like a thing is directly proportional to how brain-meltingly ludicrous it is, so I'm not particularly representative of what normal people like.
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Oh, come on. I won't make fun of it.

Well, I might tell you to put the moose on the leever, eh. Then I might call you a hoser. That's it, though. After that, I wouldn't make fun of it.

Monger on
    edited December 2010
    I didn't notice anything weird at all about Chuck's accent in DR2

I don't think I know what a Canadian accent sounds like

Also it's annoying that this thread title isn't properly capitalized, it takes me longer to find than any other thread

UnbreakableVow on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    RDR's story was terrible

Alan Wake and ME2 probably had the best stories of the games I played this year (granted, I haven't played the DLC of either)

Listening to Brad whine about not bing able to 100% ME2 drove me up the goddamn wall

tofu on
    edited December 2010
    Nah

RDR's story is pretty great

Though I do think there's truth to that bit from Adaptation: "Wow 'em in the end, and you've got a hit."

RDR really wowed in the end

ME2 was the opposite of wowing in the end. It was whimpering in the end

Alan Wake's gameplay was too bad for me to continue playing, which is a shame, 'cause I liked where the story was going

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    Brad needs to just learn he's not very good at games that aren't Starcraft

because

I saved everyone on my first runthrough of ME2 and that was 48 hours after it came out which means there were no guides for survival, the game just makes it pretty clear that you need everything you can get to survive that mission

T4CT on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nah

RDR's story is pretty great

Though I do think there's truth to that bit from Adaptation: "Wow 'em in the end, and you've got a hit."

RDR really wowed in the end

ME2 was the opposite of wowing in the end. It was whimpering in the end

Alan Wake's gameplay was too bad for me to continue playing, which is a shame, 'cause I liked where the story was going

you're just a regular brad, aren't you

stop brading it up in here

tofu on
    edited December 2010
    Miranda died for me because I sided with Jack so she wouldn't be pissed at me

I didn't know how I was supposed to get her loyalty to go back up

UnbreakableVow on