As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

• Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Twilight Struggle is so good, I need to find some more people to play it with

the VASSAL mod is really good, im down for a game basically whenever

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    An update to my beginner's experience with "real" board gaming:

I got Pandemic for Christmas yesterday and played a game with family. We had a lot of fun, but we got defeated pretty easily. Are all games of Pandemic difficult? I don't find it a flaw; if anything, it's rather welcoming.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jakobagger wrote: »
    re: the "controversy" discussion on the last page:

Name a single historical period ever (including the present) that would provide a setting that meets the modern standards for racism, sexism etc...

Seriously, even if taken literally Peurto Rico is pretty politicially correct by the standards of human history.

Yeah, also this. I was going to add something in my post about what dicks the Romans generally were. Slavery, bloodsports, racism, imperialism etc. But no one complains about Civilization/Republic of Rome/Hannibal.

"if everything is racist, then nothing is!!" is not really a good argument, sorry pal.

anyway I am at the airport, my flight is delayed an hour and a half, and I am Mean Drunk. who wants to play dominion.

Way to completely miss the argument then.

What, in fact, was said was "if you make use of any historical setting whatsoever for a board game it will inevitably contain offensive themes".

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I got Pandemic for Christmas yesterday and played a game with family. We had a lot of fun, but we got defeated pretty easily. Are all games of Pandemic difficult? I don't find it a flaw; if anything, it's rather welcoming.

Depending on exactly how the epidemics come up, it can be a bit easier or harder. Did you try just four epidemics first game, or jump straight to the normal difficulty? Also, the abilities you have in play can change the difficulty slightly, as some are a bit better than others. As you get better at the game, it will begin to feel easier.

Darian on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »

Depending on exactly how the epidemics come up, it can be a bit easier or harder. Did you try just four epidemics first game, or jump straight to the normal difficulty? Also, the abilities you have in play can change the difficulty slightly, as some are a bit better than others. As you get better at the game, it will begin to feel easier.

The key to pandemic is discussing everyone's turn and the next few turns, then coordinating exactly. Sometimes you just get fucked though.

schuss on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Christmas was plentiful:

Forbidden Island
    Arkham Horror
    Carcassone
    Ticket to Ride:1910 expansion
    Settlers of Catan: Seafarers expansion

All given by different people, with no board game experience or knowledge, and not as a coordinated effort.

Endaro on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I ended up with Claustrophobia (Which appears to have even fewer rules than LNoE) and Empire Builder as gifts. Welcome additions to my straining cabinet. Empire Builder will be interesting because it is now the longest game I own, but the ability to easily pack it up and continue another day may actually give it so some play time. My girlfriend's father got it for me because it has been his favorite game for years and I believe he is trying to convert me over.

I also got FITS (Tetris the board game) in a trade.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    Christmas was plentiful:

Forbidden Island
    Arkham Horror
    Carcassone
    Ticket to Ride:1910 expansion
    Settlers of Catan: Seafarers expansion

All given by different people, with no board game experience or knowledge, and not as a coordinated effort.

I, also, got forbidden island and it's really good. one thing I'd like to try (in addition to cranking up the difficulty) is to institute a turn timer, so if you don't get in your three actions before time runs out then your turn just ends and the treasure/flood cards happen as normal. should make it more challenging and prevent the endless optimal-play-by-committee that you sometimes get in co-op games.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    So, first game ever of BSG tomorrow. I have Pegasus too, but we'll start with the base game.

However, the replacement Cylon areas from Pegasus have some major differences compared to the base. Should I run with those instead? I guess they're made for balance purposes.

Echo on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The replacement Cylon locations are needed for Cylon Leaders, which you won't have without Pegasus. Stick with the base game to start.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    the new areas are a major nerf for the cylon team (too much of a nerf imo). and you're only supposed to use them if you're also using the pegasus board, which is a huge boon to the humans... and the only thing the cylons get is TRE, which nobody cares about...

I like pegasus a lot but it's not really balanced at all :(

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »

We went straight to normal. My room mate and I played last night... the first game, he was the Dispatcher and I was the Researcher. We played Normal and did pretty well - only had one outbreak, found all four cures on the second to last turn before the cards were going to run out.

We bumped it up to "Heroic" and had a different story. He drew Researcher and I drew Operations. We went to treat the red disease first, foolishly ignoring an outbreak in the west, thinking that, since we already had enough red cards, we could just get it out of the way. We ended up drawing two epidemics in three turns and caused a few chain reaction outbreaks. We ended up running out of blue cubes around the 6th outbreak. It was rough.

I absolutely love the game though. I'm madly addicted.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Played Dungeon Lords with two other beginners for the first time last night. Damn that's a good game. Like Agricola, but with awesome theme and even more "I am so screwed" moments. The score ended up being something like 10, 6, -6.

admanb on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Didn't get any board games for Christmas, per se. But I have to give a nod to Scrabble Flash, and this seems as good a place as any to do so.

It's a wonderful little time-eater for 1-3 people. If you haven't heard of it, it's like those little games you used to see in kids' magazines where you were given a 5-letter word and had to make as many other words as possible using those letters. The difference is that now there's a physical element involved, since you have to actually move the tiles around to form the words. It's nice, fast-paced, and feels good for your brain. Plus, there's just some child-like wonder at watching the tiles recognize their placement wirelessly and acknowledge that you just spelled a word.

Definitely get it if you need a time-filler.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got to play Fantasy Flight's new Civilization game twice recently, one 4-player and one 2-player. I like it, it feels a lot like playing the PC version (without being a 1:1 port, which would have been terrible and slow).

But holy shit, the combat rules. I don't understand how they work, and I really don't understand the design decisions behind them. Surely something simpler could have been constructed.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Made out like a bandit this Christmas. Two Dominion expansions (Intrigue and Prosperity), Le Havre and Powergrid.

Is it me or does Uwe Rosenberg seriously need to structure his rulebooks better? It took me forever to understand Agricola and just as long for Le Havre thanks to the really scattered layout of the rules. These are not games that are necessarily hard to understand after trying them, but dammit the rules make it look otherwise.

EDIT: Even with this complaining, the Agricola and Le Havre rules are ten times better than that of Horus Heresy's minutia.

Trynant on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am the rules guy in my gaming group, but the rulebook for Aricola beat me into a fetal position. It all made sense when someone was teaching it, but even when I try to find a clarification it's an exercise in suffering.

admanb on
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    I am the rules guy in my gaming group, but the rulebook for Aricola beat me into a fetal position. It all made sense when someone was teaching it, but even when I try to find a clarification it's an exercise in suffering.

I too am the residential rules guy for my group. Uwe's games I have always found it best to block off a time and play an entire game by myself with me controlling two players. I find there are a few too many changes from solo play to actual group play so always try and have a couple dummy people. I also tend to head over to bgg.com to check the forums on any game I am trying to learn as there is usually a post about 'often misplayed rules' for any of the games.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got to play Fantasy Flight's new Civilization game twice recently, one 4-player and one 2-player. I like it, it feels a lot like playing the PC version (without being a 1:1 port, which would have been terrible and slow).

But holy shit, the combat rules. I don't understand how they work, and I really don't understand the design decisions behind them. Surely something simpler could have been constructed.
    It's sort of a really complicated game of rock-paper-scissors-nuke.

So you'll have "unit cards" (you start with 3 and can make more at your city). At the beginning of combat you and the opponent draw 3 cards from your stack of unit cards, randomly, plus whatever bonuses you get (mostly from having more than one flag-figure in the square.) That is your card hand. You also compare bonuses and one guy will have more than the other probably, they then get the appropriate bonus card on their side, but this doesn't do anything until the end of the combat.

Then starting with the defender each player puts a card down. The defender has no choice but to play a card into a new column. The attacker can then either put a card opposite the defender's card (making them fight) or in another new column. Then the defender places a card, either opposite one of the attacker's cards or in a new column. And so on until nobody has any cards left in their hand.

If you put a card opposite another card they fight, each card does its strength value in damage to the other card. If one card has RPS dominance (cavalry kills archers, archers kill footmen, footmen kill cavalry) they do first-strike damage. If at any point a card has at least as much damage as its strength value it dies and is discarded back to the market board. Cards still do full damage even if they have wounds.

Then both sides count up the strength of all their cards left on the table, and add the value on the bonus card if they have it, and whoever's result is higher wins.

antherem on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jabrams007 wrote: »
    What are the problems of thunderstone?

1. The rules are horrible and unclear. How long has the game been out and they're already up to version 1.4? (Maybe the rules suffer in comparison to Dominion which has perfect rules)

2. Game length. Thunderstone seems to just drag on and on. The whole mechanic of "light" and adding and subtracting is overly complex and cumbersome. Resident Evil fixes this with "ammo." You need X amount of ammo to shoot your gun. If you have X+, you're good, if not, you can't shoot.

3. No real risk of losing a battle.

4. The mechanics are overly complex and cumbersome. (see above).

5. The randomness of the monsters can severely impact the "fun-factor" of the game. Get a bad batch of early monsters and the game just bogs down.

6. The symbols on the cards are hard to read, understand, and are sometimes counter-intuitive. The design on Thunderstone just phones it in, and throws all that data on the card without meaningful symbology to indicate what's what. About the only two things that don't suck on these cards is light level provided, and gold provided. This means that as a player, you essentially have to memorize what each location means and go from there and that sucks, they could have done much better.

Maybe the expansion fixes these problems, but I, and my gaming group, just find ourselves getting frustrated with this game a lot. We want the simplicity and elegance of Dominion with the thematic tie-in of Thunderstone. Resident Evil solves this problem.

Just my .02 though...

How would you weigh Resident Evil against Ascension? That too has a fair amount of randomness in the way that Resident Evil appears to. The only really unique factor I remember, is the synergy between the different classes of cards, like the artifacts and the druidy/green cards etc, while Resident Evil has the characters and custom decks. It seems like one of the biggest complaints against RE, is a slow start, due to players being wary of the mansion deck since it can be so dangerous.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Had my first game of Arkham Horror. Played a 2p game with the GF, using 2 characters each. Picked Ithaqua to have a nice easy start, things went pretty well. Won with 6 seals and 5 or so doom tokens left till he would wake up. I'd been reading the rules for quite some time before I got the game so we really minimized the possible mistakes. Missed a couple of "Overwhelming" titles on some monsters till part way through, but otherwise I think we followed the rules really well. Only ran in to a few of situations that needed clarification, most of which have now been fixed by looking at the FAQ.

Forbidden Island, on the other hands, has been kicking our butts. I don't know why, its a family game and we find BSG to be too easy. We only play on novice, with 2-3 players, but we've only won one game out of four or so. Still quite fun however.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    pretty sure you should be able to win at forbidden island on novice like all the time, unless you are really getting unlucky at drawing fool's landing/the treasure pickup tiles. how are you losing?

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Played BSG yesterday. Had a board game day from 10 am to midnight and BSG was the last game we played so we weren't exactly 100% focused and into it, but it was really fun. 4-player game, looking forward to 5+ players so we get more possible cylons.

Echo on
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Woohoo! My 7 Wonders sleeves supposedly shipped yesterday! YAY.

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    So I played a Resident Evil themed Dominion clone.

It's actually more a fusion of Dominion and Munchkin, only with significantly less backstabbing. In fact, it's probably closer to Thunderstone, but I haven't played that so I feel uncertain in making such a comment.

Played a game of that last night. It was amazing. I am chomping at the bit for the next game. The whole slow build up then zombie, zombie, chaingun zombie is pretty great. Then, when you actually start using Shattered Memories to thin your deck back down, good stuff.

I heard Square Enix was working on a card game. Any idea if it is going to be CCG or all in one box like this? In this day and age, I think they'd be much better served releasing it in box form.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All this talk about deck-building games is leading me to wonder when we'll hear more about that Blood Bowl card game that FFG announced a while back.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Played BSG yesterday. Had a board game day from 10 am to midnight and BSG was the last game we played so we weren't exactly 100% focused and into it, but it was really fun. 4-player game, looking forward to 5+ players so we get more possible cylons.
    5-player is the sweet spot for that game. With 6, you have to deal with the traitor mechanic, and with any more it slows the game down way too much.

Though, we house-ruled the traitor mechanic: instead of using the usual traitor or the Cylon leader, we use the usual traitor, but that person gets to pick a Cylon leader to become. It means that they don't get totally screwed like they normally would.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    All this talk about deck-building games is leading me to wonder when we'll hear more about that Blood Bowl card game that FFG announced a while back.

Good question, really.

I'd assume that it's going to be a Summer release (if it's not widely available, at least available early at the Con circuit) , so we might start hearing more about it in the spring.

...or, it could be hanging out with the Gears of War board game. o_O

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What? Gears of War fans and Boardgame geeks. Perfect match.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Welp, I guess I shouldn't have looked at the Game of Thrones board game before I finished the first book.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh, so this is where the new thread went. My FLGS owners just posted a picture of BSG: Exodus. I'm hoping that means I can buy it from them today!

My friend hosted a board game convention at his home the last two days. Played a lot of games. Didn't play some games I really wanted to play though (Wok Star, Merchants and Marauders, Civilizations).

Bought Battles of Westeros about a week ago and just realized I need to glue the stuff together, so may need to make a trip out.

Played Puzzle Strike, it was fun but felt a bit fiddly, mainly because the gem tiles are also your money tiles so it's a bit confusing.

Played Alien Frontiers some more. Still fun.

I did play some games I own but haven't played too and enjoyed both (Last Night on Earth and Ghost Stories). We actually beat the manor house scenario without *any* deaths. We had a final standoff to ensure the zombie player couldn't win and got lucky enough that none of us would die. Sheriff, priest, and Jake were all at 2 wounds each, and Sally was at no wounds (but youth = healing). I was the sheriff and lost both my shotgun and revolver on the two turns prior to the last turn so I was fighting unarmed with full wounds. Priest was also at full wounds but had the card that let him roll an extra die and win ties plus the pitchfork for rerolling goodness. Jake came to my space so I wouldn't be overwhelmed by 4 zombies by myself. Jake took a wound, and I had it's just a scratch played on me so we both survived. Would've been thematic either way. The only thing that died was the pitchfork that lasted through the entire game until the very final blow.

Edit: YES THEY HAVE EXODUS! *goes out*

Edit2: Well, I should *really* wait a couple days though because then I can use my January coupon for effectively 20% off.

Edit3: Got it anyway after I went out to get some Plastic Glue for Battles of Westeros.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think I take back my earlier comments re: controversy in board games, supporting free speech; this game should be banned everywhere forever. Goddammit, Japan.

I honestly just look at that and shrug. This is probably some culture clash thing since most of Asia didn't exactly get screwed by Nazis. Imperialism, on the other hand....

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't have any experience with these games, but I know that The Resistance is the new hotness in that genre

It does depend. Resistance is more of a gamer's Werewolf. My experience with teaching Werewolf lovers The Resistance is that some of them *really* don't like the stronger logic/information aspect and not being able to bullshit their way out of an accusation like they can with Werewolf.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Played Dungeon Lords with two other beginners for the first time last night. Damn that's a good game. Like Agricola, but with awesome theme and even more "I am so screwed" moments. The score ended up being something like 10, 6, -6.

The only negative I have with Dungeon Lords is that it plays best with exactly 4 players. But I would definitely much prefer playing that to Agricola.

But I'm also a fan of all his games (Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker)

Dracil on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Actually, there's something I've been wondering re: Resistance.

Is how you vote public or private?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Septus wrote: »

How would you weigh Resident Evil against Ascension? That too has a fair amount of randomness in the way that Resident Evil appears to. The only really unique factor I remember, is the synergy between the different classes of cards, like the artifacts and the druidy/green cards etc, while Resident Evil has the characters and custom decks. It seems like one of the biggest complaints against RE, is a slow start, due to players being wary of the mansion deck since it can be so dangerous.

I've only played Ascension once, so I can't really weigh in on it, but all my friends who have Ascension and/or Thunderstone are mad that they bought them now that they've tried/bought Resident Evil. The general consensus in my group is that Resident Evil has pretty much replaced both Thunderstone and Ascension.

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »

The mission proposal vote is simultaneous public vote.

The actual mission result is a secret vote.

Plot cards make a few minor changes. Opinion Maker makes it so the people who have it need to do their simultaneous public vote first, and then others do their simultaneous public vote after they see what they do.

In the Spotlight allows the user to force one player's mission card to be played face up before the other mission members pick their mission card.

Dracil on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »

When you are voting to approve a team, voting is supposed to be simultaneous and public. (I've hosted a few games in IRC with public non-simultaneous voting, which also seems to work? Haven't played enough games to really say.) Of course, voting for mission failure or success is private.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It does make some difference. When played casually the difference is minimal, especially if, like me, you always announce your intended vote before the vote anyway.

Simultaneous makes it harder for spies as they're more likely to vote together against an all-resistance team, or all-pass a mission with a spy. With non-simulatenous voting, it weakens opinion maker and also makes it easier to just jump on a voting bandwagon.

BTW, some of us who've played a lot started to manipulate the metagame a bit. When we're spies, we hold up fingers to signal our sabotage priority during the time that spies look at each other. That way, even if several of us go on a mission, we can guarantee only one sabotage.

I think this is okay for our group because our group tends to have resistance win more often than the spies. If your group has spies win more often already, probably not a good idea to do this.

We also use a house rule for 9 player games, which we feel is much harder for the spies (same number of people on missions as 8 players, but we get an extra resistance member). If the resistance wins two missions before mission 4, then spies only need one sabotage to win that one.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Huh, just noticed Twilight Struggle is now #1 on BGG

What happened in like the last 6 months?

As I now am into longer games in general too, the game now interests me.

Dracil on
This discussion has been closed.