As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Book case needs to be mounted to wall?

starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm thinking about getting an IKEA Expedit 4x4 bookshelf. One thing that concerns me, though, is that it says it needs to be mounted to the wall.

Is this necessary? I live in an apartment and I don't think I can put holes in the wall.

What are my options here?

camo_sig2.png
starmanbrand on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It doesn't need to be mounted to the wall. I have the larger version, the 5x5, and it does just fine. Attaching it to the wall is mostly for places that experience earthquakes, and for people with small children who are apt to climb the shelves.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Every bookshelf ever says that, and comes with a strap that attaches to the bookshelf and you're sposed to nail the other end into a wall stud.

If you don't have kids or bouncy pets, I wouldn't even worry about it, unless you are concerned about the bookshelf falling on you, but any bookshelf I've ever owned I think I could probably hold up if it decided to fall

BlochWave on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The screw that tethers the bookcase to the wall is pretty the same as one you'd use to hang a picture.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been specifically instructed to not nail anything into the wall by management when I moved in. I know I could probably cover it, but I wouldn't want to lose out on some of my deposit for something so dumb.

I also live in southern california, so earthquakes are an issue. I'll probably just get it and see how it feels without being mounted and try to keep heavier things on the bottom.

Thanks for the help, guys.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You could consider velcroing it to the wall, however the velcro strips I've used in the past have a very strong adhesive backing, so you might want to test it on a small indiscreet bit of wall first to make sure it's not going to leave any markings.

BlochWave on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I've got one of them, it comes with a couple of wedge things that you jam under the front. Just use them and keep the small books up top and the large ones down bottom and you'll be fine. Hell, we've got a mini stereo, a plant, and a pile of other shit on top of it and its stable, even though its on carpet. The weight of the books pretty much means its not going anywhere.

Edit: earthquakes are another story, but I don't think the hooks that come with the kit would suffice. You'd need steel straps, dynabolts, and of course permission.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think this is a mistake but ok. I would personally never hang anything like that off just drywall but I do have something for you.

They sell these things, little hooks that have an adhesive backing on it that doesn't ruin the wall. I don't know how strong they are or if it's the smartest decision for you but it's an alternative. 3M makes them and you may have seen them advertised over the holidays. I don't remember how much they will hold, but it's something to consider, just hanging the bookshelf on the wall. Don't buy them unless you're sure they'll work.

Or you could just put it on the floor and lean it against the wall.

EDIT: I stand corrected.
    Alternatively buy a million.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    3m hooks hold like 5lbs, max. Good for pictures, crap for everything else. Don't waste your money.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not being able to hang anything in your apt sounds like crap, god do I hate management companies. You really need to be able to attach furniture to the walls if you're in an earthquake prone area, that sounds like a legal requirement.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The little strap is just to keep it from toppling. It doesn't need a particularly strong fixing point, as it just needs to keep the unit from tipping far enough that it'll fall over.

A plasterboard plug or whatever will hold it fine. That said, I've only ever used them when putting the bookshelfs on a less than stable surface, like thick carpet. If it's on a solid floor, and you use the wedges (or even just some strips of cardboard or something) to tip its centre of gravity back towards the wall, you'll be fine.

japan on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It is fairly easy to fill up the small holes you make in drywall with spackling paste or something. It was almost a "moving out" routine for me when I was in college.

Lux on
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another option would be to screw a larger base to the bottom of the bookshelf, or even a longer foot on each side, to keep it form toppling forward.

Pel on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i think in the vast majority of state and local laws, small holes in the walls counts as normal wear and tear, doesn't it?

and thus is not grounds for additional fees or fines?

check your lease though, lease usually trumps all

Raneados on