As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X Button Weirdness

CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
I think this is the right forum, if not, then may the great and powerful mods move it in their benevolent wisdom.

The X button on my 360 controller is acting oddly. It just doesn't feel as crisp as the other buttons. That sounds really OCD, but hear me out. It's sticky, sluggish, and non responsive. I think it might be gunked up. Should I find a screw driver and open it up, or just buy a new one? It sounds like a stupid thing to be bothered by, but it's kind of pissing me off.

Any help?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
CaptainNemo on

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, it couldn't hurt to open it up. I mean, at most, you'll lose some time since you'll be buying a new one anyway if you can't fix it.

The rubber dome switch might be gunked or damaged.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    KonamiFan#1KonamiFan#1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would bring it back to the establishment from which it was purchased and attempt to return it. If this is not an option I would buy a new one. They have those ones with the new d-pad out and I hear they're pretty sweet.

KonamiFan#1 on
    MK Friend code:317889-345815
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I've had this controller for a long time, two or three years. I know this seems sappy, but I've grown fond of this little piece of plastic. So I guess I'll try some home repair. Any guides or how toos you guys recommend?

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My kids keep dropping my controllers and we have no carpet, so my controllers are worse for wear. My right bumper on my favorite controller descends farther than the left bumper now... but I've managed to struggle on. If the face buttons were messed up I would so rip it open and try to fix it though.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well the weird thing is it's just the X button. The other buttons are fine.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    SteveRageSteveRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    go here: ifixit
    it'll show you where the screws are. you'll need a torx security bit, or you can kinda force it with a small flathead, or so I've been told. I just bought the torx bit for taking mine apart. the only ones that I had an issue with were the bottom two screws as they were recessed farther that my bit would reach, so I bought longer ones. good luck!

SteveRage on
    -in warframe (pc), i am fungible-
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Before you tear into it, see if you can use a q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the gunk.

But if that fails, go ahead and open it up; X360 controllers are pretty straightforward to dis/reassemble.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Here's the thing: I can't see the gunk. I can feel it, though.

CaptainNemo on