As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game(s) of the Year

1789101113»

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grand Theft Auto 4

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GTAIV and Mirror's Edge were awesome, but overall that year was just so "eh"

2009 was rocking faces all over the place, and obviously everyone has fond memories of 2007. 2010 was great as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm still a little shocked how dry the holiday season was this year compared to the usual rush of way too many great games all at once. That happened during the first half of the year instead.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't know how I forgot GTAIV. I blame not having my morning coffee yet. Yeah, I guess compared to other recent years it was lacking. But I still think it had plenty of good releases. For me at least.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Aside from a little lull after StarCraft II, I thought it was pretty evenly spread throughout the year

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I second Deadly Premonition as my game of the year.

Didn't I see you say like two months ago that Alan Wake may be your favorite game ever?

And now DP has beat it out just in the year?

HAHA DAMN YOU FOR LISTENING TO ME.

I have no idea. Its between the two.

I think Deadly Premonition was a hell of a lot more innovative as an actual GAME.

I think Alan Wake took the typical GAME elements (graphics, controls, combat) hands down, when compared to Deadly Premonition.

But Deadly Premonition is so much more UNIQUE than Alan Wake.

Its not a chore to replay Alan Wake. It is kind of a chore to replay Deadly Premonition - but only because I want to get to the awesome parts and I hate slogging through the combat.

I guess it depends on my mood at the moment. I like supporting the little guy when it comes to "Game of the Year!", so ACCESS GAMES and IGNITION ENTERTAINMENT win over MICROSOFT.

But it's hard when I think that Alan Wake had the BUDGET to license major music tracks and it added to the atmosphere, and Deadly premonition actually had to make them cheaply from scratch.

And DP is a better value.

Oh god look what youve done, Im going to be up all night now...

ITS A TIE. OK. A TIE.

(and in all honesty I simply meant to second the NOMINATION of DP, because there's a lot to think about here.)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's a lot of caps

Are you drunk?

Also people that say Alan Wake is a better-playing game than DP makes me completely scared to blow $20 on DP, even if it is only $20, because I thought the gameplay in Alan Wake was really mediocre and super-repetitive.

And I hated the switching shoulder camera so much I wanted to kill everything in a five mile vicinity

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alan Wake is the kind of game you either love or feel meh about. I, for one, love it. Alan has writer's block, I have writer's block! Alan visits Washington State, I live there! Alan gets trapped in a lake, I get water in my ear.

Synchronized.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The moment Alan returned to the island house to find it hadn't existed for however-many years, I lost interest immediately.

Something about that style of thriller just turns me off instantly.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You should have stuck with it. Sex, drugs, and eldritch abominations ensued.

Except without the sex.

Or drugs.

Really just lots of eldritch abominations.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That post makes me feel like playing Max Payne.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Max Payne and Alan Wake are like yin and yang. One has great gameplay and a laughable story, the other has a great story and laughable gameplay.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Max Payne and Alan Wake are like yin and yang. One has great gameplay and a laughable story, the other has a great story and laughable gameplay.

Except it's pretty clear that Max Payne was aiming for camp.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It did not aim for camp. It aimed with a pistol made of broked dreams and shot a bullet of lost hope into it's black heart.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    kraz007kraz007 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    No one mentions Minecraft, why?

kraz007 on
    Riftforge: a free online RPG with fantasy tactics!

468.png

Blogs: Endless Space - galaxy seeds | Diablo 3 duels
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's not a game of mine. I'll have to dig deeper to craft a response.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I had a fantastic few days with Minecraft, but once I felt like I had figured out survival mode, the magic was gone. It's a shame too, because those were a few fantastic days, but I go in now and it's like I can map out in my mind exactly what I'd need to do, and that leaves me with no desire to do so.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Finally put together a tentative top 10, courtesy of Giantbomb's list maker

1 - DS - Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
    2 - DS - Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
    3 - DS - Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
    4 - DS - Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
    5 - DS - Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
    6 - DS - Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
    7 - DS - Mega Man Zero Collection
    8 - Wii - Trauma Team
    9 - Wii - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
    10 - PS2 - Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Jan 2010)

Dragon Quest 9 probably ate more development resources than the rest of the 10 put together.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's a lot of caps

Are you drunk?

Also people that say Alan Wake is a better-playing game than DP makes me completely scared to blow $20 on DP, even if it is only $20, because I thought the gameplay in Alan Wake was really mediocre and super-repetitive.

And I hated the switching shoulder camera so much I wanted to kill everything in a five mile vicinity

Not drunk at all - caps are just my way of showing INNER TURMOIL. I wish my computer had a dedicated ITALICS button.

anyways, thinking about it, it pains me but I have to give the edge to Alan Wake. Deadly Premonition clearly tried to do a hell of a lot more new, original and interesting things, but the combat is just awful. It's manageable, and honestly can't be more than 20% of the entire game, but I actually liked Alan Wake's combat, and as a game - Alan Wake is better.

I think Alan Wake is better because it had a bigger budget, but as a game, it wins. But I want to give Deadly Premonition some type of award though. I'll make one up.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I liked AW for the first three or so hours, but as I went on I just started to get tired of the combat. It started to lean on it far too much towards the end and I think that really soured me on the game.

Some of the best moments were the actual buildups to the attacks, or general spooky things in the environment. For example, early on in the game I entered a cabin and as I glanced around the room, a shadow just casually walked by the window. I thought for sure I'd be jumped as I went outside, but there was nothing there. I love when games play with expectations like that.

So even though Deadly Premonition's combat is technically poor, especially when compared to Wake, I'd still give it up to DP if I had to compare the two. Mostly because the combat felt like a much smaller part of the experience in the grand scheme of the game. Learning more about Greenvale and its townspeople were more significant parts of the game to me.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heh, first time I saw a video about the beginning, I thought low rate Alan Wake.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't mind the combat in Deadly Premonition, I do like to play the older REs from time to time so it's basically the same tank controls. Game could use more than 2 or 3 enemy types though.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, to be honest the shooting mechanics didn't bother me that much either. But it is clearly not up to snuff when compared to other current release games (even compared to RE4). In many ways it really just feels like it was released in the wrong generation.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mass Effect 2

or Kirby's Epic Yarn

or Super Meat Boy

or Pacman CE DX

T4CT on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i would kill for a new quake game

and no quake live doesnt count

and neither does quake 4
    Someone needs to throw a bag of money at the CPMA guys and say, "Here, you make game."
    Someone is apparently eastern european.

815165 on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i am nowhere near good enough at quake to be eastern european

but yeah

if the cpma guys could make a modern day version

literally would buy a couple copies

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My top 10 list courtesy of Giant Bomb.

Some games I just didn't play enough to break into the top ten. I've only played Galaxy 2, Darksiders and Bayonta for about 20 minutes each. I played 20 hours of New Vegas but felt like I barely scratched the surface of the game.

All games I am sure I am going to enjoy next year.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You are a cool guy, uselesswarrior

I like the cut of your jib

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deadly Premonition is easily my game of the year. Absolutely amazing game. Second place goes to Sin & Punishment Star Successor. I feel like my #3 is probably a game I haven't played yet, namely either Bayonetta or 999 on the DS. Both sound like things I'd like a lot but I haven't had a chance to play them yet.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really hope Darksiders gets a lot of mention

because that game was great

and I want them to be motivated for the sequel

T4CT on