As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Failure and the Repair Thereof

templewulftemplewulf The Team ChumpUSARegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
The situation: I have two Athlon XP / Socket A PCs that I'm trying to get in working order to act as LAMP servers. Both of them seem to be having the same problem; there is no video getting to my monitor, and there are no motherboard beeps during POST (assuming that's happening at all, since I can't see anything). However, power gets to all the LEDs and fans.

I tried swapping my CPU, GPU and RAM into a friend's computer, and they all work. The only thing I haven't swapped out are the PSUs, but I have difficulty believing both of them are broken.

One caveat is that I have both of them opened up on my desk with only the PSU, HSF, case fan, and power switch hooked up in each. All of the other case cables are left unplugged, and no cables are plugged into IDE or SATA slots.

Any ideas on what I can try to get at least one of these working?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
templewulf on

• Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Either the PSU or motherboard is gone in both - have you tried swapping the power supplies around? It may be a faulty PSU in one and motherboard in other.

If that fails, next step is to try both motherboards with a known working power supply.

Worst case scenario is both motherboards are blown, as it's gonna be tough to find decent working socket A motherboards these days, whereas replacement power supplies are cheap and easily available.

Spam on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spam wrote: »
    Either the PSU or motherboard is gone in both - have you tried swapping the power supplies around? It may be a faulty PSU in one and motherboard in other.

If that fails, next step is to try both motherboards with a known working power supply.

Worst case scenario is both motherboards are blown, as it's gonna be tough to find decent working socket A motherboards these days, whereas replacement power supplies are cheap and easily available.

I had a friend try his power supply in one of my PCs, and it didn't help. This is depressing, because I have 0 PCs between four cases. :lol:

What's weird is that these aren't identical motherboards, so I'm a little suspicious of an identical failure on both. I was hoping for a hail mary mircle change-the-jumper solution, but it seems like both motherboards are broken.

templewulf on
  • Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Make sure the power is plugged in for the video card if it needs it. Aside from that, have you tried your computers with a different monitor?

Oh also make sure you didn't do something goofy like leave the BIOS reset jumper in the reset position...on both.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Have you tried the monitor itself?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't remember changing the BIOS jumpers in the first place, but that's actually a great suggestion.

Yes, I have tried the monitor. I actually have a third PC whose video works, but for some reason it won't install any flavor of Linux. I might put a floppy drive in it and try DSL.

templewulf on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    sorry, I couldn't post this at work for some reason.

I suspect that while the motherboards are socket a's, they don't support the Athlon XP chips you have since I believe the XP was the fastest and last chip to come out for that socket type and not all motherboards support it.

If you could tell us what kind of mobo they are and what the XP chip was, that would help.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    sorry, I couldn't post this at work for some reason.

I suspect that while the motherboards are socket a's, they don't support the Athlon XP chips you have since I believe the XP was the fastest and last chip to come out for that socket type and not all motherboards support it.

If you could tell us what kind of mobo they are and what the XP chip was, that would help.

Hmm...I'd never heard that. Though, one combination did work for some time, an Athlon XP 3200+ (I think) on a Soyo Dragon 2 mobo.

I'll revisit the hardware as it exists now and try to get some model numbers.

templewulf on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    you did plug in the 4 pin connector to the motherboards right?

I forgot to ask.

also, do you have the spacers in there for the mobo/is the mobo touching the case?

might as well get those out of the way first.

then I'd say BIOS error or 2 fried motherboards.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I didn't have the manual for one of the mobos, so I was just randomly moving the jumpers, and I got the BIOS config screen. It turns out that both of these motherboards (and another computer from c. 2002 being used by a friend) had all run down their batteries.

I picked up some new CR2032 batteries, and everything is as good as new. As someone who deals with computers and troubleshooting every day, this is a little embarrassing! I guess the lesson is always check the plug. The answers may be simpler than you think!

templewulf on