As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOTY 2010 Poll: Nominations needed!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Missing from the list:

Dead Rising: Case Zero
    Dead Rising: Case West
    Raskulls

All XBLA games

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does the Monkey Island 2 SE count? If so, it should be on the list. Unless I missed it somehow.

The Wiki page says 'PS3, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Windows, and Xbox 360'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Missing from the list:

Raskulls

All XBLA games

I am playing case west as we speak and didnt realize it wasn't on the list. Thank you, because now I will vote for it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Bejeweled 3 (PC) is my mom's game of the year. I don't know about anyone around here, though.

Hey now

Bejeweled 3 is amazing

I hope they add in Steam Achievements, then it'll be a real big boy's game!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    As much as I like SSFIV, it really is an expansion pack that happens to also include the original game. A few new characters and special moves a new game does not make.

Thanks for doing this again, mcc!

I could say this about a lot of games though. Anything sequel running on the same engine, really.

God of War II built upon God of War's framework adding a few new enemies, moves, settings, story and music.

SSFIV built upon SFIV's framework by adding new characters (nearly a third of the cast), moves, settings, story and music (roughly 30 some-odd tracks).

Not to mention rebalancing the entire roster

ThePrimm on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EA Mixed Martial Arts
    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage
    Football Manager 2011
    Sengoku Basara 3

Pretty sure they all dropped in the US this year.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm that's interesting. They're kinda like stand alone DLC? If they are included, I wonder how many would vote them over the base game?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does the Monkey Island 2 SE count? If so, it should be on the list. Unless I missed it somehow.

That's a 19 year old game. New graphics and voice work does not significant changes make.

Tofenheimer on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bejeweled 3 (PC) is my mom's game of the year. I don't know about anyone around here, though.

Hey now

Bejeweled 3 is amazing

I hope they add in Steam Achievements, then it'll be a real big boy's game!
    Bejeweled does nothing for me when it's not also an RPG. Peggle? Sure. If you've got some Peggle, I'll play some fucking Peggle. But not Bejeweled. My mom does actually have an almost terrifying Bejeweled addiction, though. One day I'm going to go over to her house and she's going to trying to match random items in her kitchen or something and confused that's she's not getting shiny whatevers because she totally matched four. I'm sure of it.

Also, someone should make a Peggle RPG.

Monger on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    King's Bounty: Crossworlds (PC). It's standalone, right, so it counts?

GTA: EoLC didn't get a nomination last year, did it? Cause I think that'd determine whether KB: Crossworlds and RDR: Undead Nightmare should make it on there.

Anyway, yay, I was wondering where you were mcc.

So nominations:
    God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PSP)
    Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (360,PS3)
    Medal of Honor (360,PC,PS3)
    Napoleon: Total War (PC)

Can't think of any others missing.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How did I forget this one? I'm -playing- this one!

Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP)

Also a couple more DL titles:

echochrome ii (PS3*)
    Eat Them! (PS3*)
    DeathSpank (PS3*, 360*)
    DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue (PS3*, 360*)
    Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (Mac, PC, PS3*, iPad)

Still might be able to find some more, but that's all for now.

Not sure how the DeathSpank's are going to be handled; ToV is, I believe technically a full-sequel, though.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh yeah:
    Back to the Future: The Game (iPad,Mac*,PC*,PS3*)
    Tumble (PS3*)

Does Back to the Future actually count? The first episode came out but we're still waiting for the remaining 4 episodes. Or does it only count if the entire series is available?

Also, Darth_Mogs I think you meant one of those DeathSpank's to be DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue. And I don't really think they should be counted seperately, since they're basically the same game but seperated because they thought it was too long.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh yeah:
    Tumble (PS3*)

Does Back to the Future actually count? The first episode came out but we're still waiting for the remaining 4 episodes. Or does it only count if the entire series is available?

Also, Darth_Mogs I think you meant one of those DeathSpank's to be DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue. And I don't really think they should be counted seperately, since they're basically the same game but seperated because they thought it was too long.

I....certainly did. I thought I had it typed out, but, oh well, it -is- rather late/early for me. I'll edit it for Mcc's sake, though.

And yeah, I saw something about how the first was, like, Act I, and they felt ToV was Acts 2 and 3, or something like that. Like I said, I didn't know how it'd be worked around, but I figured I'd throw them both out there.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I noticed a mistake on the nominations list. The handheld versions of Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 are a completely different (and pretty decent) version of the game from the PC/console editions and should probably have their own entry, like so:

Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 (DS, PSP)

Nomination:

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (DS)--another case where the DS version is completely different to any of the console versions. It's a Metroidvania and is actually pretty good, sadly it got no attention whatsoever.

Batman: The Brave & The Bold (Wii)--this is a nice beat-'em-up from Wayforward, really short but deserves some kind of mention.

Batman: The Brave & The Bold (DS)--the DS version has all different levels and playable characters to the Wii version, so I would count it as a different game.

Dark Void Zero (DSiWare, iPhone, PC)--AFAIK those are all the platforms this is available on. Came out first on the DS in January of last year, so I think this should count for the list.

Thanks for doing this every year, mcc.

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Norfair wrote: »
    the DS version has all different levels and playable characters to the Wii version, so I would count it as a different game.
    Oh, that reminds me:

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Wii)

It's not listed, and it's an entirely different game from the PC/360/PS3 game of the same name. I didn't play it, but I've seen people cite it as superior to the HD game, which I enjoyed.

Monger on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh yeah:
    Tumble (PS3*)

I think Back to the Future shouldn't count unless we want to rank it based on the first episode alone.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can understand excluding old games, but if an expansion pack is priced higher than some of the full games on the list, sold like crazy, and will probably receive a lot of votes it probably should be included.

Also Cataclysm massively overhauled the original's abilities, dungeons, quests, and added bunches more content.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Norfair wrote: »
    Batman: The Brave & The Bold (Wii)--this is a nice beat-'em-up from Wayforward, really short but deserves some kind of mention.

Oh yeah, forgot about this. It was incredibly fun. Great animation and hilarious dialogue.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

GTA: EoLC didn't get a nomination last year, did it? Cause I think that'd determine whether KB: Crossworlds and RDR: Undead Nightmare should make it on there.

So nominations:

I'm pretty certain Episodes From Liberty City was included last year

Also nthing that WoW Cataclysm should be included

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

That's a 19 year old game. New graphics and voice work does not significant changes make.

Then why is Pac-Man on the list? Or for that matter any game that is a sequel that also has new graphics and voice work? Madden 11 is on the list...that's the same game as all the other ones, right? And man, two Rock Bands? This list is being padded! I call fraud!

(I notice Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock is also not on the list. Sure it probably won't get many, if any, votes, but if DJ Hero 2 is there (and the Rock Bands!), then Pig Hero should probably be there as well.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

So nominations:

I'm pretty certain Episodes From Liberty City was included last year

Number Meaning of Life. So if it is there, then Undead Nightmare should be on the list, along with the Dead Rising 2 demos/expansions/whatever/standalones, and any other 'game' that saw a separate, playable release.

Though, that's mcc's call. There's seeming a rule against Indie Games, since there are none on the list. Though that would make it monstrously huge.

EDIT:
    However, I see that damn 'MAED A GAM3' game was on last years list, so whatever.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seriously? Pac-Man CE DX is significantly different from the original Pac-Man.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Left, Right, Up, Down

Eat dots

Eat pellets

Eat fruit

Eat ghosts

New stuff:
    Different mazes

New colours and sounds

Different!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A few games I noticed were missing:

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (PS3, 360, PC)

Seconding this, because yes, I honestly will probably actually include it in my top 10. :P

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Left, Right, Up, Down

Eat dots

Eat pellets

Eat fruit

Eat ghosts

New stuff:
    Different mazes

New colours and sounds

Different!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d53XwhPfRCI

Does that look like old school Pac-Man?

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I will be the one to argue for Cataclysm mainly due to the sweeping changes to class talent trees, completely redone original world, and the new areas. There was a shitton of work put in on this.

Also, Wrath of the Lich King was on the list in 08.

those were additions to the base game. you don't need to buy cata to use them.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I see a game with new graphics and new voice over work.

But you know, if you really, really, really want to argue that Monkey Island 2 shouldn't be in this years list...you could just point out that Secret of Monkey Island wasn't on last year's list. You know... Instead of trying to back up an argument that could be used to eliminate dozens of games that already seemingly qualify. Including your precious Pac-Man.

And this is a Nomination Thread. Not List Warz. I suggested it because it was released, this year, in America. And I'm perfectly willing to accept it if mcc decides it doesn't count.

Next time, though, try to use better precedent to argue. It just looks better.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Left, Right, Up, Down

Eat dots

Eat pellets

Eat fruit

Eat ghosts

New stuff:
    Different mazes

New colours and sounds

Different!

Changes from original Pac-Man to Pac-Man: CE DX

7 mazes (6 of which have alternate longer versions) vs. 1.
    Freeplay mode
    Morphing levels with no break in the action
    A bunch of puzzle levels
    Darkness mode
    Time limit changes gameplay dynamic from defensive to offensive
    Wall scraping
    Sleeping ghosts
    Power pellet ghosts
    Ghost train
    Bullet time
    Bombs
    New speed system
    Revampd UI
    Revamped scoring
    Various visual skins & music
    Various modes - 5 min, 10 min, Ghost Attack, and Time Trials
    Leaderboards for each map and mode plus an overall leaderboard
    Achievements
    Video replays of top scorers

Yep, totally the same game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I see a game with new graphics and new voice over work.

But you know, if you really, really, really want to argue that Monkey Island 2 shouldn't be in this years list...you could just point out that Secret of Monkey Island wasn't on last year's list. You know... Instead of trying to back up an argument that could be used to eliminate dozens of games that already seemingly qualify. Including your precious Pac-Man.

And this is a Nomination Thread. Not List Warz. I suggested it because it was released, this year, in America. And I'm perfectly willing to accept it if mcc decides it doesn't count.

Next time, though, try to use better precedent to argue. It just looks better.
    The point is that Monkey Island 2 is a re-release (something noted in the OP as not applicable for this poll). Unless I've been misinformed, it has the exact same areas, characters, puzzles, etc. It has new graphics and that's it. Everything you mentioned has at least minor changes (new songs from RB1 to 2, new players and features in sports game iterations, etc).

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Left, Right, Up, Down

Eat dots

Eat pellets

Eat fruit

Eat ghosts

New stuff:
    Different mazes

New colours and sounds

Different!

By this logic no sequel should be on the list.

AC: Brotherhood

Run

Climb

Stab dudes

New stuff:

Multiplayer

Different areas

elevature on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I nominated a game that counts under the rules specified in the OP.
    2. No ports, no expansion packs, unless they changed so much that you can honestly call it "a new game". (Sometimes it's really hard to tell whether this rule applies; see the post immediately underneath this one.)

Not really a port if they spend months creating new art and audio.

It's up to mcc to decide if it qualifies.

If the counter-argument to it's inclusion is supposed to be that it's just new graphics and voice work, then there are bunches of games that should probably be excluded.

I don't care if Pac-Man is on the list. But if you're going to claim that the 'new' Monkey Island 2 is a 'port' even with all that work put it, then I'm going to claim that Pac-Man is a port, too. So deal with it.

LIST WARZ!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Didn't see it talked about, but I saw no Sonic 4 on the list. I would say although there are a ton of throwbacks to the old series, it's still different enough to warrant being called a new game.

I always end up having to play catch up with these lists, as I end up getting games as gifts into January or buy them when they're cheaper later on in the year. In fact I'm only playing Assassin's Creed 2 now!

I've always loved the idea behind our GOTY voting and that someone puts so much work into making it awesome every year, so kudos to you.

edit: Just saw you wanted platforms for the game- it was a downloadable game on 360, Wii, and PS3. Also apparently an iOs version came out, though I'm sure that's somewhat different.

Pooch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Pac-Man CE DX has about as much in common with original Pac-Man as Ikaruga has in common with Galaga.

How is this even a discussion?

Monger on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aliens vs Predator (PS3, 360, PC) came out this year and isn't on the list.
    Just Cause 2 isn't listed as PC in the list.
    Monday Night Combat is being released for PC next year, but already has a PC beta available. I think you could list that as PC too.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    elevature wrote: »
    By this logic no sequel should be on the list.

But it wasn't my logic. See? What's going on is that the argument used to disqualify Monkey Island 2 is a bad argument. It works for more games than just MI2.

But then, I guess this years Pac-Man CE is different enough from the Pac-Man CE from a while back. So that clearly qualifies. Meanwhile, I guess Monkey Island 2 shouldn't because there wasn't enough done to make it different. (By which I'm glad to note that all those people who worked on it wasted their time and effort on a clear port.)

But somebody is wrong on the Internets in a Nomination Thread about Games Released in 2010!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pac-Man CE DX has about as much in common with original Pac-Man as Ikaruga has in common with Galaga.

How is this even a discussion?

I think the argument is DX is the same thing as CE with new colors and sounds. But that isn't true so it still doesn't make sense. DX is a radically different game than CE, and Original.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Monday Night Combat is being released for PC next year, but already has a PC beta available. I think you could list that as PC too.
    An interesting case, I was thinking about this the other day - since you have to pay for the beta, but the 'beta' being sold is essentially a port of the complete and DLC-enhanced game which has been out on the 360 for months now (also totally in my top 10, probably top 3 for this year).

So although it is being called a 'beta' it is certainly not a game in it's 'beta' stage. It's done, they just want a huge PC Steam community to help highlight bugs / balance and tweak classes / locate 'sploits etc. just like they did with the 360 XBLA version prior to the unusual 'tweak-file' being altered and the patch / free DLC combo making larger changes to the game.

Even a few years back, this game would be sold like this at retail / downloadable as the finished article.

Beta is the new Gold, LOL.

They should probably start classing this development stage as 'gamma' instead of 'beta' or something... :P

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Aliens vs Predator (PS3, 360, PC) came out this year and isn't on the list.
    That's because it was horrible

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just wanted to chime in, in regards to Cataclysm/SSFIV. If M&B: Warband is to be included on the list, I believe that, at minimum, SSFIV should be included as well. I can understand Cataclysm not being on the list, since it's very obviously an expansion pack, requires the original to play, is still the same core game, etc etc. However, M&B: Warband is a standalone expansion to M&B, same, really, as what SSFIV is. They both expand on the original, but are considered their own stand alone games.

So basically, if you feel SSFIV should not be on the list, I feel M&B: Warbands should also be pulled.

Dourin on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Star Trek Online (PC)

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif