As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DVD Ad on the forums

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
Hey Guys,

I know it seems a bit weird to see an ad up there. It's not a permanent thing, I just need to test out a homebrew piece of software. I figure as far as ads go it is nicely designed, a static image, and tests all the tech bits I need to test.

It will disappear in a week or so.

Älphämönkëy on

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's not annoying, but it does break H-scroll on smaller resoultions, the logon box is shunted off the edge of the screen.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2010
    WE'RE ALL DOOMED! RUN!

Tube on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    WE'RE ALL DOOMED! RUN!

Classy.
    I just need to test out a homebrew piece of software. I figure as far as ads go it is nicely designed, a static image, and tests all the tech bits I need to test.

Care to elaborate? Does your software have something to do with the upcoming forum relaunch?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    One thing I noticed is that that ad has been showing up for some time now for people who haven't logged in. Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the code for showing the ad for people who are not logged in versus those who are?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought for a second Google AdSense was back. Good times.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Care to elaborate? Does your software have something to do with the upcoming forum relaunch?

This code will be used to power navigation elements across multiple sites. It would be used to announce things like new PATV episodes, merch, etc.
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    It's not annoying, but it does break H-scroll on smaller resoultions, the logon box is shunted off the edge of the screen.

I'll see what I can do about trimming some of the blank space.
    One thing I noticed is that that ad has been showing up for some time now for people who haven't logged in. Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the code for showing the ad for people who are not logged in versus those who are?

I'm performance testing this slowly to make sure it scales nicely. Unregistered users represented a portion of the total forum traffic, now I want to test on the full population. This is my first time deploying a large site on Google App Engine and so far it has worked beautifully. Still, best to test things slowly if I have the option :)

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    's coo.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

It becomes somewhat more pronounced on the iPad.

9tsV2.jpg

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in the same camp about the h-scroll thing. I don't care that it's there (unless it starts flashing and playing unbidden music).

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Y'know, I saw it at my friend's house a couple days ago when I was still in California, but only when I wasn't logged into the forum. When I logged in, it disappeared.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Does the same on the iPhone as it does in that iPad screen shot. Makes reading threads a bit of a pita.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Y'know, I saw it at my friend's house a couple days ago when I was still in California, but only when I wasn't logged into the forum. When I logged in, it disappeared.

It used to do that. Then it changed in the last day or so.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does the same on the iPhone as it does in that iPad screen shot. Makes reading threads a bit of a pita.

Yeah, I don't mind ads at all but I do mind the forums getting less mobile-friendly.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Better. For me, at least.

Now the 'big problem' is the ad doesn't fit the colour scheme very well...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought it was odd seeing an ad up there. Disorienting at first.

But then the ad worked, and I bought the series, which is cool 'cause I haven't seen any of it yet

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    If they decide to go through with this it does need the theme to be changed to accomodate it. It just kinda.. hangs there

edit: quick and dirty mockup of what I was generally thinking of with this crit:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/fyrewulff/mockupofads.jpg

Now imagine that with an actual budget and hours of committee meetings

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Noticed that you made a shorter version, Alpha. Not an iPad user, but good on ya. Unrelated: are the forums hoping to a new version or was that kiboshed?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Noticed that you made a shorter version, Alpha. Not an iPad user, but good on ya. Unrelated: are the forums hoping to a new version or was that kiboshed?

I didn't think to test in a a mobile setting. It didn't take long and it makes mobile browsing much easier.

Re: Software. Still looking. It's less pressing since the forums are much more stable now, but the forums are going to get some updates, I'm just not sure what it looks like yet. The problem is that with 20m posts, not a lot of people are willing to host us :)

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We're the largest repository of user generated wang content on the internet. It's a daunting prospect.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't think to test in a a mobile setting. It didn't take long and it makes mobile browsing much easier.

Re: Software. Still looking. It's less pressing since the forums are much more stable now, but the forums are going to get some updates, I'm just not sure what it looks like yet. The problem is that with 20m posts, not a lot of people are willing to host us :)
    RE: Hosting: Have you guys talked to Rackspace at all?
    How much space does 20m posts take up anyway?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

RE: Hosting: Have you guys talked to Rackspace at all?
    How much space does 20m posts take up anyway?

Around 20GB including indexes.

I'm looking for software solutions first. vBulletin is an old piece of software and the newer branches are going in a direction I don't want to follow.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Around 20GB including indexes.

I'm looking for software solutions first. vBulletin is an old piece of software and the newer branches are going in a direction I don't want to follow.
    Ah, 'kay. I know nothing of forum software beyond the phpBB one I installed for ten users who pretty much gave up on it before even attempting to use it for their stated purpose.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I'm in a solid majority that is happy to see ads on these pages. It is a free service--so, ads, makes sense. Feel free to put whatever you want there! I don't even mind if they are larger, as long as they are smaller when mobile browsing it.

streever on