As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Convert MP3 to lossless audio format before editing it?

splashsplash Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey,

I have 20+ or so podcast files in MP3 format that I'd like to kind of archive for myself as well as to give away to others if they are interested.

Each file at least needs minor editing to cut out a couple lengthy useless parts in each podcast. The voices sound poor and the bitrate is 48kbps. I don't want it to get any worse! If it would work I'd also like to try "cleaning up" the voice quality when I'm editing them.

In this situation should I convert from MP3 to a lossless audio format and then start editing to try to ensure as much quality is kept as possible? Keep in mind that I myself don't need them to be in MP3 format for archiving purposes, but if I eventually give them to others I'd probably convert them back to MP3 unless ipods and such today support lossless formats.

The program I plan to use is Audacity. I've never done sound editing before but I've started to learn about it. What would be the good lossless format for these files, AAC.. such or such?

Your help goes towards the betterment of mankind. Thanks!!

splash on

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    splash wrote: »
    Hey,

I have 20+ or so podcast files in MP3 format that I'd like to kind of archive for myself as well as to give away to others if they are interested.

Each file at least needs minor editing to cut out a couple lengthy useless parts in each podcast. The voices sound poor and the bitrate is 48kbps. I don't want it to get any worse! If it would work I'd also like to try "cleaning up" the voice quality when I'm editing them.

In this situation should I convert from MP3 to a lossless audio format and then start editing to try to ensure as much quality is kept as possible? Keep in mind that I myself don't need them to be in MP3 format for archiving purposes, but if I eventually give them to others I'd probably convert them back to MP3 unless ipods and such today support lossless formats.

The program I plan to use is Audacity. I've never done sound editing before but I've started to learn about it. What would be the good lossless format for these files, AAC.. such or such?

Your help goes towards the betterment of mankind. Thanks!!
    Converting them to a lossless format now would be essentially worthless. If they're in 48kpbs, then you've already lost pretty much everything. :P And if you ever plan on distributing (which it sounds like you might), then re-encoding again would lose you any benefit you might have gained.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Exactly what I needed to know, danke

splash on