As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car stereo electrical help

DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss.Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm installing a new receiver, and I have a question about the wiring harness. The part that came with the receiver has a long black cable that has a c-shaped connector at the end, for grounding the unit. But the wiring harness for my vehicle has a black wire, same gauge. Should I connect the unit's ground wire to the metal of the frame, or lop off the connector and attach it to the harness?

There are also a few wires on the harness that I'm not using - orange, blue, and blue/white. I don't want to leave them exposed, but the wires are already stripped. Any advice on what to use to cover them up?

Delzhand on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not fully following what you're describing in the first paragraph so I don't want to give you specfics. It sounds like the factory harness may be grounded further up, negating the need to frame-ground it. Do you have pics?

As for the unused wires, even if they are already stripped you can just cut off the exposed portion. You can use electrical tape or even wire nuts to cap them off. I'm a fan of shrink tubing for stuff like that. Shrink tube all the wire ends and the shrink tube them all together. Makes for a pretty clean installation.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here's the end of the black cable on the unit that came with the receiver
    IMG_0200.jpg

This is the end of the black cable on the wiring harness
    IMG_0202.jpg

Honestly, it sounds like your description is right, I just didn't know if a ground could be a part of the wiring harness, and I had some hesitance to cut off a part the manufacturer included.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Throw some tightly wrapped electrical tape on the exposed wire ends you're worried about, they'll be fine.

adytum on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, guys! Works like a charm! Local install shop wanted 60 for the harness, antenna adapter, and dash kit, which I found together online for 20, and 50 for install and another 8 for "parts", so you just helped me save $98 bucks.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cool, glad it worked :)

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162