As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post on my webzone if you want a pizza roll

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think it was 90-something% or something insane.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The worst part is when you go "Haha, that's bullshit. There was so much original stuff like...um, that...no that was a book...um there...oh my god...he's right!"

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why someone with his obvious analytical capability would devote his or her life to deconstructing the individual flaws of the Star Wars prequels in a format that basically forces you to watch the entire movie over again is totally beyond me.

He must eat a lot of pizza rolls to take such large dumps on individual pieces of film making.

MrMonroe on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I never realized how much time was spent sitting on couches in the star wars prequels

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    These are excellent. I picture this guy as like, a crotchety old Baby Cakes.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I never realized how much time was spent sitting on couches in the star wars prequels
    The twenty minutes he spent on the framing was really the best part of this review. It says a lot that whenever he shows a three second cut from the original films, you can instantly spot what moment from what scene it is, because it uses memorable editing and camerawork.

Then he shows a shot from the prequels of two dudes talking, and it's hard to remember what scene that was, what it was about, or even which movie it's from.

runaway_pancake on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    JoeUser on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been waiting for this one.

I have to say, I'm a fan.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I have no idea how this guy can write such insightful critiques and then make jokes about rape, fucking cats, eating cats, kidnapping kids, and killing prostitutes.

I don't share these videos - even though I appreciate the critical aspect of them - because they're so tasteless.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited December 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Why someone with his obvious analytical capability would devote his or her life to deconstructing the individual flaws of the Star Wars prequels in a format that basically forces you to watch the entire movie over again is totally beyond me.

He must eat a lot of pizza rolls to take such large dumps on individual pieces of film making.

It's honestly basically pretty basic analytical skills. Spend six months in a liberal arts degree and you, too, can be Harry S Plinkett.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

that's exactly what i love about it! there are lots of other really smart people doing good criticism of, you know, serious film, serious literature, all that. but where else can i go when i want to spend two hours of my life listening to a guy shit, with meticulous, fair-minded precision, all over the star wars prequels?

redhead on
    edited December 2010
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Watched this review earlier today.

Pretty fucking good. I loved the part where he fucked his cat. Needs me a gif of that to post on Facebook.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »

Pretty fucking good. I loved the part where he fucked his cat. Needs me a gif of that to post on Facebook.

Jesus christ, really?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pretty sure you done been baited, orik

Langly on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have no idea how this guy can write such insightful critiques and then make jokes about rape, fucking cats, eating cats, kidnapping kids, and killing prostitutes.

I don't share these videos - even though I appreciate the critical aspect of them - because they're so tasteless.

Unfortunately the critical aspect seems to have been phased out somewhat for shock humor and lame theatrics

Javen on
    edited December 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »

Jesus christ, really?

Nope.

That shit be disturbing.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Pretty sure you done been baited, orik

I can't tell anymore.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mr. Orikaeshigitae you seem pretty........ u mad?!

Going to get me a pizza and roll it up and then watch the fuck out of all of them right now.

As I fuck my dog along with the tied up hookers in my basement.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    alt post

Hell yeah, man.

Fuckers like OG A LO turned preacher man would love that shit. Wouldn't pray for my damned soul at all.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2010
    I am pretty mad about it. Mythbusters shows that it's possible to be critically-minded and be entertaining at the same time, but both this stuff and most game journalism seems to feel the need to appeal to juvenile bullshit that nobody really wants to see just so that nobody can accuse them of being highbrow. It affects how people view critical thinking as a whole and specifically about science fiction or games, so that if anyone else wants to think deeply about a piece of media they're dismissed because it's tied up with the concept of hooker murder.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited December 2010
    You can be critical of something, with interspersed humour, and not be vulgar about it.

Hasn't hurt his reviews, though. I still manage to enjoy them.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2010
    That's pretty much my only problem with the videos. They don't, like, upset my delicate sensibilities or anything, I don't really care what fictional hooker he's killing in between review notes. But it does mean that I can't show them to a wide range of people, that I can't use them as examples or critique etc. I understand why he feels the need to have stuff like that in there, but I don't see why it has to, specifically, be so juvenille. It just means less people will access it.

Langly on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    wait

how do reviews of shitty science fiction movies made by one group relate at all to the field of video game journalism?

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited December 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    wait

how do reviews of shitty science fiction movies made by one group relate at all to the field of video game journalism?

They share many of the same problems. I only brought it up because I've been concerned about it lately and this is a particularly good example.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I always skip over the parts that aren't part of the review. I'm sure that the reviews would be just as popular if they weren't in there

DrIanMalcolm on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am pretty mad about it. Mythbusters shows that it's possible to be critically-minded and be entertaining at the same time, but both this stuff and most game journalism seems to feel the need to appeal to juvenile bullshit that nobody really wants to see just so that nobody can accuse them of being highbrow. It affects how people view critical thinking as a whole and specifically about science fiction or games, so that if anyone else wants to think deeply about a piece of media they're dismissed because it's tied up with the concept of hooker murder.

good point! the juvenile bullshit here still isn't enough to taint my view of these videos overall (i just try to ignore the embarrassing stuff so i still think they're fantastic), but i think you're probably right that it isn't good for critical thinking as a whole. alas

redhead on
    edited December 2010
    You could say the same of the comics industry, too.

Langly on
    edited December 2010
    That's pretty much my only problem with the videos. They don't, like, upset my delicate sensibilities or anything, I don't really care what fictional hooker he's killing in between review notes. But it does mean that I can't show them to a wide range of people, that I can't use them as examples or critique etc. I understand why he feels the need to have stuff like that in there, but I don't see why it has to, specifically, be so juvenille. It just means less people will access it.

The first review had kind of one-off jokes and lot of critical thinking and insight, but for some reason the slider seemed to go the other way for the second and third.

Javen on
    edited December 2010
    Not to mention that not everyone has the luxury of just skipping over that shit. He does a rape joke in this latest one, and that means that I can't show it to rape victims I know because it'll trigger flashbacks.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited December 2010
    I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think the star trek ones had less as well

Langly on
    edited December 2010
    redhead wrote: »

good point! the juvenile bullshit here still isn't enough to taint my view of these videos overall (i just try to ignore the embarrassing stuff so i still think they're fantastic), but i think you're probably right that it isn't good for critical thinking as a whole. alas

Considering that he rails so heavily about superfluous shit that doesn't have to be in movies and serves no purpose or consequence, the prevailing mentality of "Yeah I don't really care for it but I just skip over those parts" is pretty funny.

Maybe the commentary goes deeper than we thought.

Probably not though.

Javen on
    edited December 2010
    Like, I get so mad at cheesecake in comics merch and in comics themselves, I feel like that simpsons jpeg of yelling at clouds, though.

Langly on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    new one is awesome

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wonder how realistic it would be to review the reviews when it comes to the concepts of narrative flow and tone

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    redhead wrote: »

that's exactly what i love about it! there are lots of other really smart people doing good criticism of, you know, serious film, serious literature, all that. but where else can i go when i want to spend two hours of my life listening to a guy shit, with meticulous, fair-minded precision, all over the star wars prequels?

I guess he is the go-to guy for drivel about drivel

maybe there's a reason no one else is doing it?

MrMonroe on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2010
    He's said that the reason he has those cutaway jokes is to break up what would otherwise be an hour of a guy bitching about Star Wars.

DJ Eebs on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not to mention that not everyone has the luxury of just skipping over that shit. He does a rape joke in this latest one, and that means that I can't show it to rape victims I know because it'll trigger flashbacks.

Wow.....

That is quite the trump card you just threw down.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Like, I get so mad at cheesecake in comics merch and in comics themselves, I feel like that simpsons jpeg of yelling at clouds, though.

Whatever do you mean?

amecomiwonderwomanv2427.jpg

JoeUser on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    His shot reverse-shot complaint doesn't really hold up since it's used by lots of critically-acclaimed films and television shows

DrIanMalcolm on