As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i dunno what they're bitching about. some racing wheel? whatever. [game podcasts]

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »
    And also about Gears of War 3, not God of War.

thatsthejokel.jpg

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh man, a The Golden Child reference at the beginning of day 3 of the Giantbomb GOTY deliberations. That shit is off the hook, son.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Man if you were going into a western and not expecting a tragedy then you just haven't seen enough westerns.

The only western that comes to mind as having a totally happy ending is Back to the Future 3.

Tombstone-Poster-web.jpg

the-outlaw-josey-wales-poster-c12205815.jpeg

pale_rider.jpg
    oh man, a The Golden Child reference at the beginning of day 3 of the Giantbomb GOTY deliberations. That shit is off the hook, son.

Was it Jeff or Ryan

Because either of them would make that reference

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not to mention The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    God the Paul Barnett bombcast is maddening

Minecraft isn't about lego blocks! It's about building homes in the wilderness! It's about exploration! Sure, if you just use it to play with lego blocks, it's gonna get boring! The beauty of Minecraft, the reason it went viral, is because it is such a simple concept and such a simple execution that it means different things to many different people!

God, I can't believe no video game person over there understands what that game is

It's insanity

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Weekend Confirmed, at 2:08:45, during their 2011 predictions:

Jeff: Do you think that, from a hardware perspective, all we're going to see is handheld stuff?
    Garnett: As far as new consoles, no...
    Jeff: Well, any hardware.
    Garnett: I'm completely, you know I'm ...(short pause)... almost dead certain that we'll see the Wii...
    Jeff: The new Nintendo.
    Garnett: ...the next Nintendo home console.
    Shane: (long drawn out sigh [Maybe he's heard this too many times from everywhere else?])
    Garnett: What, you don't think so.
    Shane: We hear rumblings, well, we've already heard rumblings...
    Garnett: We've heard rumblings forever, man!
    Shane: I don't think we'll see that or the next Microsoft home console revealed by the end of 2011.

Sooooooooooo.....could that mean Sony will reveal their next console in 2011? :P But really, I just had a faint feeling of "read between the lines" with the way that last line by Shane was said.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I doubt it. Sony of all companies have no incentive to unveil a new console in '11. Unless it's something entirely different from the PS3.

I'd say Nintendo are most likely to actually do so of the three. Which is to say I don't think it's very likely at all.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

Minecraft isn't about lego blocks! It's about building homes in the wilderness! It's about exploration! Sure, if you just use it to play with lego blocks, it's gonna get boring! The beauty of Minecraft, the reason it went viral, is because it is such a simple concept and such a simple execution that it means different things to many different people!

God, I can't believe no video game person over there understands what that game is

It's insanity

it means many different things to many different people

and you just got mad at someone for "misinterpreting" it?

T4CT on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Double Fine has a podcast.

Click on Mangus to hear the first episode.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Miranda died for me because I sided with Jack so she wouldn't be pissed at me

I didn't know how I was supposed to get her loyalty to go back up

Talk to her and smooth things over.
    Lie to her....

It never, ever let me do this

I tried constantly

I never even got any dialogue options, I talked to her and she was basically like "Fuck off"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It was pretty stupid the way they talked about Minecraft, though. It's like they think it's purely some shitty 3d legos simulator.

I would truly be surprised if any of them had actually purchased the game and played survival mode.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

It's insanity

it means many different things to many different people

and you just got mad at someone for "misinterpreting" it?

I'm getting mad at people for writing it off entirely

For thinking that it is somehow not worth anything beyond "hey let's put down some blocks here" and not acknowledging that somewhere in there is a genuine video game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I only just found out that there was an actual game in there like two days ago

Namely because every time I've ever seen it brought up, someone's like "It's like playing with Legos in 3D!" and my response is "The only thing I can think of that is more yawn-inducing is playing with actual Legos."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's understandable.

Less so, though, for 4 professional journalists whose business it is to play games and form educated opinions on them.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's their business, but not their job.

They pretty much make their own rules about what they're going to play and not play

And if that game were described in that fashion (as it often is), I can't blame them for not investing any time in it

Kind of like how everyone last year went apeshit over Demon's Souls and they barely even touched it, because it's not really their thing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Obviously they're basically their own bosses and can slack off when desired, no argument or ill will there.

It more bothers me that they went out of their way to trash something that they've not made an effort to understand.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The weird thing is that Will and Norm over at Tested.com totally love Minecraft

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Obviously they're basically their own bosses and can slack off when desired, no argument or ill will there.

It more bothers me that they went out of their way to trash something that they've not made an effort to understand.

They're not slacking, they're just very choosy of what they cover. They've talked about that multiple times; the whole "we don't have to cover the new plasma gun screenshot of the week, because we only want to cover stuff that seems interesting to us." It's one of the reasons I enjoy the site and their podcast so much.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All this discussion of the bombcast is getting tiresome, so let's talk about an award everyone can agree on instead: Idle Thumbs won podcast of the year from something called CastMedium, which I had never heard of before now, but they picked Idle Thumbs so obviously they know what they're talking about.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've never listened to Idle Thumbs

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like podcasts. Maybe I should listen to it?

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I only have time for one podcast a week really

I have music to listen to as well, you know?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like podcasts. Maybe I should listen to it?
    Really? I thought you guys were all over Idle Thumbs and its spiritual ancestor GFW Radio. Maybe I'm conflating you with the SA podcast thread.

Anyway, if you want to listen to Idle Thumbs, start from the beginning and enjoy the most interesting, insightful and hilarious game podcast on the internet while it lasts.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm probably a terrible indicator. Idle Thumbs made up more than a few thread titles here, I think.

If it's seriously in the spirit of GFW, I must preemptively thank you for the recommendation. Thanks!

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Idle Thumbs is pretty awesome, but I don't know

At some point all the in-jokes and non-sequiturs sort of start to annoy, and they can be a little holier-than-thou 'bout video games at times

Still, though

The Wizard

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BTW, talking about those cast medium awards.

Glad to see that This is only a Test got awarded for the best newcomer.

Seriously though, they're pretty awesome listening for tech stuff, TV quest, beards and gary whitta's britishness.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I should probably listen to that podcast more often if Gary Whitta is on it regularly

Gary Whitta is pretty cool

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    He's been on like every podcast for quite awhile now.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How was The Book of Eli, anyway?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How was The Book of Eli, anyway?

Pretty good, I heard

Long as you don't mind a bit of religion in your Denzel Washington/Gary Oldman post-apocalyptic action movie

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's a decent movie that perhaps relies a bit too much on its twist.

For some reason, people on the internet have chosen to hate it like the plague, though.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It needed an extra action sequence somewhere in the middle, but it was pretty decent.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's interesting that no console exclusive game made GB's top 5 this year. Especially since that list came close to having 2 PC exclusives and GB are not remotely fans of PC gaming.

You'd think that the expensive first party efforts being made would have had a bit more of an impact.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    All Microsoft really brought out was Kinect and Halo: Reach

All Sony really brought out was Move and God of War III

Nintendo brought out its old stand-bys (Mario, DKC, etc.)

I honestly don't find that at all surprising. Nothing really wowing this year like Uncharted 2 did last year.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Next year, now. Next year is going to be a beast.

Uncharted 3
    Batman Arkham City

...And I'm sure there are other things coming out.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dead Space 2

...okay, that's all that is coming to mind.

I guess there's the holiday stuff like Skyrim and ME3, but they don't quite feel real yet.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arkham City won't be a console exclusive game. I mean, Arkham Asylum wasn't, was it?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arkham Asylum was not an exclusive

The big news on exclusives is Mass Effect 3 will be launching on PS3 along with the 360 and PC

tofu on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All Microsoft really brought out was Kinect and Halo: Reach

All Sony really brought out was Move and God of War III

Nintendo brought out its old stand-bys (Mario, DKC, etc.)

I honestly don't find that at all surprising. Nothing really wowing this year like Uncharted 2 did last year.

Yeah, only God of War and Halo. Oh and GT. Only.

[edit] Oh and I wasn't really clear. I meant games exclusive to one console. That is I was surprised that the only exclusive games that seemed to get real consideration were PC exclusives.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I mentioned Batman, my brain had already moved past exclusives into "games I'm generally excited about". Also, I'm jetlagged all to hell.

Ceno on