As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Pokémon Revealed! Thread requires Max Revive

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »
    So I'm slowly (and finally) starting to get back into pokemon. Should I bother EV training any dudes to move over to b/w or just wait till then and start fresh?

If you plan on participating on the VGCs, you should start fresh, but if you intend to play online, you can start right away to have pokés readily available.

RockinX on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the shiny Entei and Raikou are both absolutely excellent

the shiny Suicune is kind of shitty unfortunately, but I would definitely not want to miss out on the other two

Maddoc on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also how did you get that animated Furret, Spoit? This static image of Shibirudon wants to wiggle around and not have an ugly white background.

Frame by frame deletion of the shadow in GIMP (luckily at least the background was transparent). It actually wasn't too gad, since sane spriting doesn't use black, like the shadow did

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah. I don't have any knowledge of any picture-editing program, so it looks like the more awesome version of Lanturn shall remain as he is.

Mx. Quill on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

the shiny Suicune is kind of shitty unfortunately, but I would definitely not want to miss out on the other two

Well might as well get all three. That way you can unlock the event in Black white and B/W version 3

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

Well might as well get all three. That way you can unlock the event in Black white and B/W version 3

I'll definitely be getting all three, although I think you only need to transfer one of them to get the Zoroark event.

Maddoc on
    edited January 2011
    Only one is needed, however, the game doesn't ask you how many you want to transfer, and sends everything with the fateful encounter flag to BW. Even if you have multiple of them.

Happy new year, everyone, BTW.

RockinX on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    Also how did you get that animated Furret, Spoit? This static image of Shibirudon wants to wiggle around and not have an ugly white background.

shibirudon_by_rodentruler-d2yv3vw.jpg

This thing is so crazy awesome. And no weaknesses!

Opium on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's a bit creepy, to be honest. But yeah, Shibirudon is one of my favorite BW Pokemon. Great movepool, nice offensive and defensive stats, no weakness, and immunity to Ground. The only thing that sucks is his base 50 Speed, but a Choice Scarf can mend that to a certain degree.

As it stands, February is looking like my "BW Preparedness Month." I can make 2/3s of my team beforehand in Silver, so I might have a decent team in time for PX East.

Mx. Quill on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    no, a choice scarf still makes it slower than most and locked into a move.

His best bet is trick room, dealing with it, or THUNDER WAVING ERRRBODY.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2011
    I dunno, Scarfed Volt Change could be fun. Just a hit and run tactic to force the opponent to switch as well. Of course, that'd be useless against a Ground type/Volt Absorb, but how else is Shibirudon going to outrun a good number of Pokemon?

Mx. Quill on
    edited January 2011
    Ursaring can get away with a 50% speed boost because it has 55 base speed, as opposed to Shibirudon, which has 50.

RockinX on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So how long does it take to get a fairly strong team that I might be able to play at Pax East and hold my own? My son took over my copy of HeartGold from Pax last year so I went out tonight and grabbed my own copy of SoulSilver to start playing for PAX. Obviously we're both going to grab the shiny Pokemon from Gamestop and Ash's Pikachu from TRU but how many hours will it take just to get a reasonable team together?

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited January 2011
    So how long does it take to get a fairly strong team that I might be able to play at Pax East and hold my own? My son took over my copy of HeartGold from Pax last year so I went out tonight and grabbed my own copy of SoulSilver to start playing for PAX. Obviously we're both going to grab the shiny Pokemon from Gamestop and Ash's Pikachu from TRU but how many hours will it take just to get a reasonable team together?

At first it's very tedious to get decent stats from breeding, and then training the desired stats. You'd have to read a lot and watch some battle videos on Youtube (as well as consulting possible movesets and base stats on Serebii or Bulbapedia) before venturing into battling with experienced people (unless the people you're battling aren't experienced at all).

RockinX on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Depends on how much obsessive about the quality you want to be. Battle frontier moves take at least a couple hours, to do 2-3 runs through the battle tower, if you already have a team prepared. Similarly for doing a (reasonable) breeding chain.

With pokerus and EV raising items, training EVs only takes like an hour.

Breeding for the right nature can take anywhere from an hour to half a day depending on your luck. Breeding for IVs? Good luck, can take weeks

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    As long as you don't worry about perfection you can have a good team in five hours.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited January 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Depends on how much obsessive about the quality you want to be. Battle frontier moves take at least a couple hours, to do 2-3 runs through the battle tower, if you already have a team prepared. Similarly for doing a (reasonable) breeding chain.

With pokerus and EV raising items, training EVs only takes like an hour.

Breeding for the right nature can take anywhere from an hour to half a day depending on your luck. Breeding for IVs? Good luck, can take weeks

using synchronize to catch good dittos makes the process of natures PAINLESS.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Depends on what you mean by holding your own. There's going to be lots of people of all skill levels at PAX - and a bit of a plug in case you don't visit the PAX forums, I'm running a Pokemon League at PAX that's aimed at both casuals and tournament players. [http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128895]

Since HG/SS have Flat Battle options, as long as your team is all level 50 and above, you should be able to hold your own quite well.

Heleor on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heleor wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by holding your own. There's going to be lots of people of all skill levels at PAX - and a bit of a plug in case you don't visit the PAX forums, I'm running a Pokemon League at PAX that's aimed at both casuals and tournament players. [http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128895]

Since HG/SS have Flat Battle options, as long as your team is all level 50 and above, you should be able to hold your own quite well.

That's why I bought my own copy last night - I wanted to do the League at PAX. I didn't know about the flat battle option - so I guess as long as I have a team I'm happy with that's above level 50 I should be good to go. Fortunately my son has a tendency to catch multiples of every pokemon so I'll be able to take a few off his hands too.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited January 2011
    Heleor wrote: »

That's why I bought my own copy last night - I wanted to do the League at PAX. I didn't know about the flat battle option - so I guess as long as I have a team I'm happy with that's above level 50 I should be good to go. Fortunately my son has a tendency to catch multiples of every pokemon so I'll be able to take a few off his hands too.

Be sure to read about IVs and EVs.

Don't worry about calculating IVs manually, because you can do that with an online calculator.

RockinX on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Telling people to read up on IVs and EVs before they've even finished the single player is a great way to scare them away from even trying to build a team.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited January 2011
    Don't worry about IVs.

EVs are simple enough to understand. If you can divide by 4 you can get your head around EVs.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited January 2011
    Speed IVs are important enough to care about, though.

RockinX on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Woah, B/W comes out in Europe on March 4th? That's before the US release! That must be a first.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited January 2011
    RockinX wrote: »

Not on as many pokemon as you think. Sure you really want it for one of those that will only outspeed something that otherwise OHKOs it without that 1-5 points but usually on a lot of things you can make up for it with more Speed EVs.

Plus you can solve that by catching a 31 speed ditto of any nature.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited January 2011
    RockinX wrote: »

Not on as many pokemon as you think. Sure you really want it for one of those that will only outspeed something that otherwise OHKOs it without that 1-5 points but usually on a lot of things you can make up for it with more Speed EVs.

Plus you can solve that by catching a 31 speed ditto of any nature.

Well, that's a given. But generally, for your fast sweepers you'll want 31 as your speed. Sixfortyfive was also giving away flawless Dittos.

RockinX on
    edited January 2011
    Some sweepers don't even need max speed. Infernape for example only really needs 330 speed to be faster than pokemon below his speed tier. Weavile is another example. One of my Gengars only has 330 speed and it does just fine.

Really, the most important thing is to learn the basics. Like, for example, you wouldn't believe how often I forget that Fighting resists Bug (doesn't make sense) or that Grass doesn't resist Steel and Water, Fire and Electric do (how lame is that?).

edit: also that all the normal/flying birds don't resist fighting.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited January 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    Some sweepers don't even need max speed. Infernape for example only really needs 330 speed to be faster than pokemon below his speed tier. Weavile is another example. One of my Gengars only has 330 speed and it does just fine.

Really, the most important thing is to learn the basics. Like, for example, you wouldn't believe how often I forget that Fighting resists Bug (doesn't make sense) or that Grass doesn't resist Steel and Water, Fire and Electric do (how lame is that?).

The problem is that with a speed IV of less than 31, you have to invest more EVs in the target speed of that pokémon, regardless of it not being the species' max speed (I run less than max speed on some), and you could use those EVs on another stat.

RockinX on
    edited January 2011
    Do Infernape, Weavile or Gengar really care about anything other than attack and speed? Generally, you just pump 252/252/4 effort values (or 255/255 if you're feeling lazy) in one of the attack stats, speed and a random stat for the leftovers. It really doesn't matter what the individual values are, just that the speed to be decent enough to be faster than certain pokemon. It's just a matter of preference whether you care that an attack does x% more damage or that an attack does x% less, and I don't think many people have it in them to care a whole lot.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited January 2011
    Do Infernape, Weavile or Gengar really care about anything other than attack and speed? Generally, you just pump 252/252/4 effort values (or 255/255 if you're feeling lazy) in one of the attack stats, speed and a random stat for the leftovers. It really doesn't matter what the individual values are, just that the speed to be decent enough to be faster than certain pokemon. It's just a matter of preference whether you care that an attack does x% more damage or that an attack does x% less, and I don't think many people have it in them to care a whole lot.

Smogon's Strategy dex once mentioned that Dugtrio could use an investment of HP and/or def to survive 40 BP priority moves. Obviously, Weavile is doomed if it's hit by Bullet Punch or Mach Punch, but you'd be surprised at how much stuff Infernape and Gengar survive. I'm not sure how, but my old Infernape (which had awful defensive IVs and a -def nature) somehow survived an EQ from another Infernape. The guy was supposedly using a legal hack, but I'm still amazed it survived. Back then I used a Focus sash and I was surprised to see it wasn't need that specific time.

RockinX on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright dudes. I work at Gamestop and therefore will be one of the people helping with the distribution of the 3 legendaries. My only question is, how do I pronounce these names? As someone who hasn't watched that far in the cartoon, I have no idea how to pronounce these (in English).

Lucascraft on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Alright dudes. I work at Gamestop and therefore will be one of the people helping with the distribution of the 3 legendaries. My only question is, how do I pronounce these names? As someone who hasn't watched that far in the cartoon, I have no idea how to pronounce these (in English).

I'm pretty sure it's basically:

Ent-a

Sui-coon

Rai-koo

I may be wrong. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2011
    N-tay
    Righ-koh
    Sooey-coon

IIRC

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's

EN-tay

SWEE-coon

rye-KOH

Speed Racer on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also, speed IVs are important if only because, if you run into someone packing the same pokemon (which in the case of gengar or infernape is really likely), you want to be able to at least have a chance at outrunning it.

Speed Racer on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    N-tay
    Righ-koh
    Soo-ee-coon

IIRC

This is right. Except it's n-TAY-ee.

Or just say red dog, blue dog and yellow dog. Seriously, only weenars will care.

Magic Pink on
    edited January 2011
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So how exactly does the Gamestop thing work? Do they have to do something on their end or is it a simple connect and download thing?

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    edited January 2011
    This video seems to disagree with you.

I could not possibly care less.

Magic Pink on
    edited January 2011
    JyrenB wrote: »
    So how exactly does the Gamestop thing work? Do they have to do something on their end or is it a simple connect and download thing?

Local wi-fi connect and download.

Magic Pink on
This discussion has been closed.