As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 12-29-10: We don't talk about Lucy...

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Graphic Violence
Action Comics #896, read the Jimmy Olsen backup first because it's the best:

Lois has Jimmy auction himself as a celebrity date for charity:

ac896d.jpg

And she's a nice girl but something's odd about her....

ac896e.jpg

And when he comes out of the bathroom he's at their engagement party!

It's clean, wholesome happy fun, everyone buy it and the one-shot special coming out in March.

TexiKen on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Mr. Mxzyplt have a daughter or is it him in drag?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It could be Mxyzptlk's niece or something like that, the 5th dimension is full of mischief makers (and genies too)

edit: Detective Comics #872 proves it wasn't a fluke, Snyder's got some strong writing skills. Now that he had Dick interact with Tim and Babs this issue, he reminds me more of Tomasi's Nightwing run than Dini's run:

dc872a.jpg

Dick and Babs 4 ever.

dc872b.jpg

The Mirror House is also a nice freaky group for future use.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    that is some awful artwork in detective.

Angry on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like that art

Antimatter on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It seems a little like Jae Lee's stuff, somewhat scratchy with lots of shadows

Not earthshaking but still pretty cool I think

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's Jock's art in Detective. So he has a few wonky panels but overall the art is pretty good, like when we see the Mirror House in action and Dick jumping out of Babs' big space needle (can that work as a double entendre?)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I like Jock (wait..). I think he's well-suited for a gritty crime book. Though I'm not reading Detective Comics right now, so I'm not sure if it's that kind of book.

Deadpool Team-Up was probably my favorite book this week. Like last week's Deadpool, it cast Deadpool as a funny, competent, tragic figure, who never gets the appreciation he deserves. Additionally, it utilized some of Iron Fist's recent mythology, specifically the 8th Capital City of Hell, a prison from which the main antagonist of the issue has escaped from. And the whole thing ends with a sad little bit of meta-commentary, with Wade limping into a blizzard and remarking, "Great working together, blah blah blah. Don't call you, you'll call me. Go team." It's Wade basically looking into the camera and acknowledging that all these little team-ups end with him being cast off, a supporting character in his own story.

Action Comics was the first issue I've bought in a while, and it was quite a bit of fun. The only thing that bugged me was Scandal being repeatedly imperiled, when one of her defining traits is that she's virtually immortal. I mean, Deadshot shot her in the face once, just to keep her out of his way. But, the Jimmy Olsen back-up was a lot of fun. DC needs to give Spencer and Silva a Jimmy Olsen ongoing.

I thought Spider-Girl and Secret Warriors were a bit of a step down in quality from the previous issues. Secret Warriors got rid of one of the few fat characters in comics, whose powers weren't related to his fatness, which bugs me. And Spider-Girl had a fill-in artist doing half of the second issue, which is frankly bullshit. And I don't think filling the second issue with tragedy and melodrama really has as much impact as it would a few issues in, when readers have formed a connection with Anya.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Clayton Henry can't even do three issues now without a fill-in? Sheesh, what is his deal. He's got a nice clean art style and it looks like there really isn't anything to his style that requires such massive amounts of lead-in time.

The best line in the Luthor story in Action Comics was below, because it was Cornell having fun with Scandal and Vandal:

ac896a-Copy.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow. This Snyder fellow is amazing. The art is alright too, it's kind of got a John Arcudi bent but a lot flatter, sharper and scrapier. I think they might have just convinced me to move outside of the Morrison Batman material.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thunderstrike #2 was another good issue, and Kevin would be a really good choice for a teen team now, since we find out he's not really a punk, since
    the only reason he beat the crap out of that kid last issue was because the kid was posting unflattering pictures of Kevin's mom on the internet.

And the Valkyrie Gruenhilda shows up to save Kevin and his step-dad from baddies, and tries to speak to him in Asgardian speak, only for her to finally lose her patience like below:

thunderstrike2a.jpg

Kevin's step-dad is a nice father figure who actually wants Kevin to be a hero, because he can do so much good in the process, and it's a nice change of pace from having to hide the identity/unjusitified guilt trip that sometimes occurs in these situations

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anytime a new Hellboy-verse book comes out, that's the MOTW for me. The main Hellboy plotline has been moving so slow for a long time now, and it looks like The Sleeping and the Dead is going to add some momentum to the book.

Hensler on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kathryn & stuart immonen's moving pictures:

mp01074.jpg

desc on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A Naruto reference in Deadpool teamup made it my MOTW.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Anytime a new Hellboy-verse book comes out, that's the MOTW for me. The main Hellboy plotline has been moving so slow for a long time now, and it looks like The Sleeping and the Dead is going to add some momentum to the book.

Well, YES, but...

Every time Mignola has a character tell someone 'too late,' punch yourself in the groin. If you read the Hellboy collection start to finish, not only will you no longer have a groin, your fist will have devolved to a bloody stump, lacking even a functional wrist. I'm saying he needs to stop using this phrase. I also think he needs to stop using this phrase. And he needs to stop using this phrase.

Secondly, the cover of this Hellboy is traced from the cover of an older Hellboy issue. I'm gonna have to dig through and find it, but I've seen that damn sculpture already. That, in my opinion, is a very big thumbs down.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    A Naruto reference in Deadpool teamup made it my MOTW.

I appreciated that too.

Another favorite of mine from that book "Did a man dressed in red just kill himself by falling out of the sky?"

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Secret Warriors #23 was pretty great this week, I knew that Sebastian wouldn't be gone for long!

But really my MotW was Avengers #8, which is actually lots of fun. Romita's art is cool, Red Hulk fighting Parker Robbins looked great, and now the Illuminati have been found out about, which makes me pretty excited for the next issue!

Solar on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, as it stands Secret Warriors is my MotW. Complete with training montage and everything. Sebastian really drew the short stick though. All that training and nope, party's over.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So what do the tests say?!?
    You're Fat!

Was great!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508