As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photoshop CS5 blending layers

tofutofu Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I took two photos, one I like except there is a sign post in the middle of it. The other is from a slightly different perspective and has no signpost. Is there a way I can select the clear portion of the image that is blocked by the sign post in the second image and have Photoshop auto-transform and align the the layer to mask out the post?

tofu on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Photoshop has an automerge feature (File>Automate>Photomerge) that can be a hit or miss depending on the angle of the pictures and the light in the composition. But, as you said the angle is different on both pictures you probably have a better chance of merging these by hand. I suggest overlapping both layers at a common point and then transforming one to match the angle of the other. Merge them together using masks, do not erase.

Can you put up the pictures, if we saw them maybe we can suggest an alternative.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Before image:

o0xdeu.jpg

After masking the alternate image in:

14cduud.jpg

Can I use photoshop magic to blend these together so it looks seamless?

tofu on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes, but you need to do it by hand. Try the clone stamp tool. Use it carefully. Copy and paste things and blur the edges of the things you paste. Don't be afraid to just use the brush tool to blend things together.

(this is only about 5 minutes of work..)

NotYou on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    athensv.jpg

My screen is not the best, I believe there is still some remanent of the post ghosting through, but I can't make out the details.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Took a crack at it.
    20pa2pi.jpg

Since it was such a dark image, I threw an exposure layer on top and brightened it a bit to see the obvious borders better. Did the editing on the actual image, then deleted the exposure layer. Turned out okay for 5 minutes work. Mostly the clone brush and patch tool (for the awning lighting).

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Here's what I ended up with

Even zoomed in I think it looks pretty good

5308728864_cbb6d0230f_b.jpg

Thanks for the help!

tofu on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    can;t you just use that content aware to get rid of the signpost. that is in cs5 right?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Content aware fill isn't smart enough to figure out how to take the signpost out of the sign or awning

tofu on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There was a lot of hype surrounding content-aware fill when CS5 was being released but it's not the magical tool that most people think it is. It's good for getting the job half-done but it still takes a skilled retoucher to make it look right.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils