As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

1262728293032»

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nocturne wrote: »
    They really need to release the War of the Lions version of FFT on other systems

It is so good

The sometimes funny terribad translation of the original is not worth missing out on all the awesome
    Nah. What they need to do is make an actual sequel for it.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I own Demon's Souls now. I haven't played it yet though.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They really need to release the War of the Lions version of FFT on other systems

It is so good

The sometimes funny terribad translation of the original is not worth missing out on all the awesome

No. It is perfect as a stand alone game. It would not benefit in the least from a sequel

Javen on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh how topical

I started Persona 3 Portable again today

on the hardest difficulty on the female storyline.

Someone shoot me.

George Fornby Grill on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I own Demon's Souls now. I haven't played it yet though.

it's fuuuuuuuun

and haaaaaard

and fuuuuuuun

and HAAAAARD

best use of online in a single player game I've seen in my life holy shit

VALVEjunkie on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh how topical

I started Persona 3 Portable again today

on the hardest difficulty on the female storyline.

Someone shoot me.

It's not that hard.

You want pain? Death given corporeal form? Play Raidou Kuzunoha 1 on Devil Mode.

Enemies: 7x damage dealt
    Raidou: 1/2 damage dealt
    Compendium cost: tripled

etc.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Guys I still can't stop playing demon's souls

send help

I did that for a while, i stopped when i got all trophies... so about 5 playthroughs

online sucks now though because its all overpowered black phantoms that sousuck themselves to lower levels but keep their great gear, and blue phantom griefers that pull enemies to you

Barcardi on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait persona 3 portable has a female storyline?

isn't the protagonist for 3 sort of... ingrained into the story?

Cilla Black on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah, there's a female main character

it changes a lot of the social links, gives you a female Orpheus, and a couple other things.

George Fornby Grill on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was so excited about the FFT remake coming out on the iPad in september but that ended up being a rumor. Now we have no idea when it is supposed to happen.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited January 2011
    still have the PSP remake!

which unfortunately took out all of the hilarious grammatical errors.

George Fornby Grill on
    edited January 2011
    Javen wrote: »

It is so good

No. It is perfect as a stand alone game. It would not benefit in the least from a sequel
    That's stupid. You're stupid.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got Demon's Souls for Chrimbus

I don't do a lot of online kinda stuff but have fought people a couple of times and I figured it would be ridiculously strong people doing broken things but so far it's been pretty even.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to enjoy this golden sun DS but after getting burned by the first one I am expecting the credits to roll after every boss

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Devil Survivor has been absorbing my life. I've spent the last week or so playing it til like 4 in the morning. I've already beaten it even, but there are six endings and dammit it's just so good.

Aistan on
    edited January 2011
    Vagrant Story is a game that needs a sequel.

But Squenix won't do it because they're concerned about appearing cool to the West like a bunch of balding old men wearing Lady Gaga t-shirts at a Starbucks.

So instead we get screwed up Final Fantasies and bizarre action oriented properties instead of doing justice to the intersting, original properties that made them the best in the business. And it's not like FFXII was all that long ago. That game was awesome. So, what happened?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wish I would have finished XII

I was trying to get everythign in that game before beatign it then I let my roommate at the time try it and he couldn't stop playing it so I never finished it.

M.D. on
    edited January 2011
    You didn't miss anything in the ending story-wise.

The game itself is so much fun though.

Cilla Black on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Demon's Souls kicked my ass so hard that I crawled away for almost five months to lick my wounds

I'm only just now giving it another go

Didgeridoo on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Javen wrote: »

It is so good

That's stupid. You're stupid.

I wouldn't mind getting the chance to play the WotL version on another system as I don't have a PSP myself. I'm not exactly thrilled with it's translation though. I get that they probably want to tie it in better with the sort of talk used in FF12, but I dunno. I love the original version of the game. It's one of the few Final Fantasy games I've beaten. Seeing the difference in the translated script, it feels like someone decided to make the game more sophisticated when it didn't really need it.

Owenashi on
  • DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I want to enjoy this golden sun DS but after getting burned by the first one I am expecting the credits to roll after every boss

it is a pretty fun game!

other than the bullshit points of no return that make like half of the djinn missable

and you will almost definitely know the final boss when you get to it, there's still a whole lot of plot threads left open for sequels but there's a definite climax

how far in are you?

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got Demon's Souls for Chrimbus

I don't do a lot of online kinda stuff but have fought people a couple of times and I figured it would be ridiculously strong people doing broken things but so far it's been pretty even.

You'll see them when you get to the 100-120 range. That's the professional battling ground range.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2011
    Alright so Secret of Mana for the ipod touch is in fact very cool.

Cilla Black on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just finished Odin Sphere a few nights ago. Loved it.

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2011
    Did you get the true ending? If so, congratulations. Not many have the willpower for it.

Also look up Grim Grimoire. Fantastic story, same dev team.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked Odin Sphere (was the true ending really that hard to get, I don't remember having much trouble with it) but the story was anime fanfiction tossed into a blender with Norse mythology

I need to finish Grim Grimoire one of these days, also I'm surprised that anyone else remembers Vagrant Story, game ruled and the ending was wide open for a sequel

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2011
    You have to complete all five story modes, then do the true ending in every possible combination, including the bad endings(which are depressing as hell).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wasn't the true ending Gwendolyn and that dark knight character repopulate the planet with humans after the fey people were wiped out, Velvet and Cornelius end up as the immortal rabbits until they collect all the coins, and Mercedes ends up dead no matter what

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Yep, that's the true ending, pretty much.
    Everyone but Gwendolyn and Oswald die.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png