As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alyce's Mediocre Sandwich! Plastic Surgery, and Hotdog Noir. *UPDATE* 5/2

124»

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    lyrium wrote: »
    Alyce those puppets are wonderful! Keep us posted on your interview!
    Also, where do you live in New York?

We live in Orange County, about 60 miles North of the city.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What materials did you use on that business man?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What are you doing in Texas? Is that where the studio is?

Godfather on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Forbe! wrote: »
    What materials did you use on that business man?

I used mostly (all) super sculpy, which I actually would not recommend at all. It ended up being waaay too heavy. While it looks cool, it's a pain to hold for a long time. I thought since the limbs/body were relatively thin/smallish, it wouldn't be too bad, but I was wrong. I'd probably end up building the limbs and body out of wood next time, while keeping the head, feet and hands sculpy.

Godfather wrote: »
    What are you doing in Texas? Is that where the studio is?

Nah, the studio is in Manhattan (which is awesome, convenience wise, for me). I'm in Texas visiting my boyfriend's parents for the holidays.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, awesome! If you haven't had the interview yet, I wish you the best of luck!

melting_doll on
    edited January 2011

I used mostly (all) super sculpy, which I actually would not recommend at all. It ended up being waaay too heavy. While it looks cool, it's a pain to hold for a long time. I thought since the limbs/body were relatively thin/smallish, it wouldn't be too bad, but I was wrong. I'd probably end up building the limbs and body out of wood next time, while keeping the head, feet and hands sculpy.

Do you know how to felt at all? I feel like that would be a fairly ideal material for this.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited January 2011
    Nope, no idea. What is it/how do you do it?

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited January 2011
    needle_felting.jpg

I'm not suggesting you use felt strictly, but it can be sewn and sculpted. You can buy loose wool to create felt through immersing it in hot/cold water to create a dense fabric, or needle felt loose wool. What happens is the fiber (which is hair) interlocks with other hairs to create a strong fabric. It is a pretty simple process. If you don't know how to do it, it may not be worth taking the time to learn it, but you can create light-weight forms. The wool also comes in thousands of colors depending on the mill you get it from.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited January 2011
    That's actually really interesting. You're talking about doing that for the body/limbs to make it lighter? That's a really good idea.

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited January 2011
    Welp, the interview is scheduled for the 10th at 3pm. I'm so fucking nervous. You guys have any tips? It's a portfolio review as well as an interview oh god. I plan on bringing my thesis, and a couple of my monster portraits, and of course my puppets. Are there any other pieces that you guys have seen that you recommend me to bring?

I'd REALLY appreciate some input, as I'm not as cool as a cucumber right now.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    zombie puppets friggin rule!

farbekrieg on
    edited February 2011
    Kay, so I finally finished the Tooth monster, and I managed to do another monster portrait as well.

I also finished a bunch of other things, but have yet to scan those in (hint: Little Red Riding Hood). I'll probably do that tomorrow.

b7za5v.jpg

aontjd.jpg

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited February 2011
    Finally finished this thing.
    mi1h8y.jpg

Red Riding Hood!
    2niyae8.jpg

28btr1y.jpg

Edit: Critiques and comments would be super cool!

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited February 2011
    Oh yeah, and I totally "illustrated" Michael Jackson out of Beans.

5980176138.jpg

"Jacko and the beanstalk" I suppose.

Frankly, it's terrifying.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, that bean portrait shows a level of concentration I could never hope to attain. :D

I love the crow painting, it is very grim but has a lot of potentiality in it-- it definitely leaves this viewer wanting to know more about the story it tells. :^:

The one thing I think I would fix is that I would take the branch down from the bloodish red to a more neutral brown, so that the bloodstains stand out a bit more-- you could even do it as mostly-a-shadowed-form with some highlights to show the branch texture.

Red Riding Hood is interesting. The wolf-spirit thing is an interesting interpretation of the fable and the cartooning style reminds me of Gunnerkrigg Court, specifically Coyote and his twisty strange state-of-being.

For the monster portraits, they kick ass! but I think they could also kick more ass.
    my personal feeling is that the background shouldn't be brighter tones than the monsters-- it washes them out a bit. They should still coordinate and the same tonal range is fine, but deeper, moodier shading might help them pop out a bit.
    aontjd.jpg
    alyce2.jpg

obviously, easier to edit digitally than to edit a physical painting, but just to illustrate how much more dimension you get from the piece when the background tones are a little less bright than the subject but still in the same color family. You could probably even go darker than my example, really.

Overall, though, I think these are solid work you've come up with. Are the monsters you're painting going to be character reference work or just an exercise?

tapeslinger on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    b7za5v.jpg

This is really sexy!

tynic on
    edited May 2011
    I totally forgot about this thread. I should probably update it, huh?

An illustration I did for Moviestupidity.com. I have yet to turn it into a banner because I'm lazy :C
    jal2z5.jpg

The assignment was to draw a "Mysterious Meeting".... My professor appreciated my humor :P
    1zguvqx.jpg

I re did peter rabbit.
    2d2boz8.jpg
    14mfciw.png

These two illustrations have been selected to be put into the senior portfolio book my school issues out every year. So, that's kind of neat.
    f2qame.jpg

qxa055.jpg

I also made a couple more puppets, but I have yet to take pictures of those!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    These are great Alyce. :^:

Mustang on
    edited May 2011
    There was promise of puppets.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png