As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i dunno what they're bitching about. some racing wheel? whatever. [game podcasts]

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    Arkham Asylum was not an exclusive

The big news on exclusives is Mass Effect 3 will be launching on PS3 along with the 360 and PC

I am uncomfortably excited to go through ME2 again on PS3

Even though I just bought ME2 for 360 (again) a few weeks ago and just bought all the DLC

But then there was some screw-up and it put all my existing ME2 save files into The Beatles: Rock Band in the system memory directory, and those files now will not load. Had to delete them.

So now I have a choice to play ME2 from scratch on either system. I already have one, but the other has Trophies and also ran a bit smoother than the 360 version based on the demo (and I surprisingly preferred the DualShock for it)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All Microsoft really brought out was Kinect and Halo: Reach

All Sony really brought out was Move and God of War III

Nintendo brought out its old stand-bys (Mario, DKC, etc.)

I honestly don't find that at all surprising. Nothing really wowing this year like Uncharted 2 did last year.

Yeah, only God of War and Halo. Oh and GT. Only.

[edit] Oh and I wasn't really clear. I meant games exclusive to one console. That is I was surprised that the only exclusive games that seemed to get real consideration were PC exclusives.

Sony also had Heavy Rain.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I can't believe Brad didn't pick SC2 for his game of the year

That's kinda crazy

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brad not picking SC2 was shocking, but he was just as much an advocate for RDR I suppose. Maybe he just had to be more of an advocate for SC2 given the rest of the cast.

Also

Hey UnbreakableVow

Bayonetta is incredible, thank you. <3

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's interesting that no console exclusive game made GB's top 5 this year. Especially since that list came close to having 2 PC exclusives and GB are not remotely fans of PC gaming.

You'd think that the expensive first party efforts being made would have had a bit more of an impact.

They really liked a lot of the platform exclusives

Like, a lot

It's not that they didn't make an impact, it's that they liked other games more, that's all

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Listening to Brad talk about how he really liked Mass Effect 2's finale until he went back and read a guide (months later) and got mad because he didn't get an achievement made me mad

tofu on
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I half expected Brad to try to get that damn BS2 DLC declared game of the year. I need to find some time to listen to that last day...

Jollus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Listening to Brad talk about how he really liked Mass Effect 2's finale until he went back and read a guide (months later) and got mad because he didn't get an achievement made me mad

Why

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Because he played the game and ostensibly had a great time when it got dire at the end when people died and it went down

Only when he decided to poke under the hood of the game did his experience break and he decided it was terrible

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Why

It's pretty bullshit

"I liked this thing until someone told me I could have done it better/gotten an imaginary prize"

I don't understand that at all, especially since the game does tell you "hey this shit is goin' down, you might wanna wrap up some shit before you do this thing/hey this thing is done now, better get this shit done quick or bad stuff is gonna happen"

I almost don't understand it as much as I don't understand Jeff's total dislike for Red Dead

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's because it is terrible when you poke around at it

Someone's loyalty to you, logically, shouldn't have anything to do with whether they die or not

That sequence is pretty bullshit

Hell, the whole ending of ME2 is pretty bullshit, honestly. It's kinda soured me on ME3, but I did like most of ME2 well enough that I want to play through it again and might as well finish the trilogy.

EDIT: Also bad endings suck and it's lame when you get them, especially if you can't go back to a previous save and correct it (I forget if this was the case in ME2). I can see why he's pissed. I wouldn't be pissed about the Achievement itself per se, but the best ending being missed kinda blows.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's not horrible because it's great in the context of the game's setting

But, surprise, if you don't come at it without a willing suspension of disbelief it's dumb

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also Ryan's love for Civ V is weird for me

Because I really like Civ V too, but it's total lack of diplomacy initially and the fact that it can be easily broken in half using a simple strategy of "fuck everything build cities everywhere" kind of takes a lot away for me

I understand that this is basically his first turn-based strategy game but man, it is kind of brow-furrowing that their first major strategy GOTY candidate is actually not the greatest strategy game

But they did patch it recently to make diplomacy a thing, so maybe I'm just being all picky and shit

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well Civ 5 is definitely simpler and more accessible than the previous games in the series, that's one of the reasons he likes it

tofu on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, he experienced an ending and thought it was good.

The thing with Brad is that he found out that there was a better ending, and instead of that previously unseen ending being great with the other still being good - he took the mindset where that new ending is the best and that all others are bad.

It's like watching a movie and thinking the ending is great, then the DVD comes out with an alternate ending and you're like "Dude, FUCK that original ending." To think that the alternate is better is fine - to think that the original is somehow bad now makes you come across like a spoiled child.

Again though, I'm of the position that the narrative time factor isn't an issue with Mass Effect 2, but more of an issue with how it's actually ignored in other games.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JC of DI wrote: »
    Again though, I'm of the position that the narrative time factor isn't an issue with Mass Effect 2, but more of an issue with how it's actually ignored in other games.

Yeah, the common line of thought when ME2 was released was "Oh shit, I actually can't just fuck around in the endgame forever after my crew is abducted by the liquifying insect people and expect them to be just fine".

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brad was so confused by ME2's borderline translucent end game mechanics.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    See, yeah, I can't really defend him and say that the best ending making all the other endings bad is a logical thought process

But I can logically see someone being very soured on the whole experience after finding out that such-and-such a teammate could have lived

And now if you want the best start to ME3, you'd have to play through again, or at least go through the whole ending sequence again (but hell, if you can't get someone's loyalty back up, you may have to start the whole game anew)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Also Ryan's love for Civ V is weird for me

Because I really like Civ V too, but it's total lack of diplomacy initially and the fact that it can be easily broken in half using a simple strategy of "fuck everything build cities everywhere" kind of takes a lot away for me

I understand that this is basically his first turn-based strategy game but man, it is kind of brow-furrowing that their first major strategy GOTY candidate is actually not the greatest strategy game

But they did patch it recently to make diplomacy a thing, so maybe I'm just being all picky and shit

I think it's very telling that people like Ryan who couldn't ever really get into the series and are primarily console gamers loved the shit out of it and then you have old fans of the series and primarily pc gamers like Jeff Green who cited it as a big disappointment.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    By the same token if you go into a game that you know can have multiple paths in search of BEST ENDING then why on earth would you go in blind?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    By the same token if you go into a game that you know can have multiple paths in search of BEST ENDING then why on earth would you go in blind?

Avoiding spoilers

Most games that aren't ME2 that have multiple endings...you know how to get the best and worst, the game kind of tells you in a really overt way

For better or for worse, ME2 doesn't do that. I know it definitely took me by surprise and as a result, Miranda died in my playthrough. Now I have to correct that before ME3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It was also funny when Civ V was suggested for Most Improved Over Prequel, or whatever exactly they called it.

Like, Civ IV was good. It was even pretty quickly patched to include a lot of the features they thought were so revolutionary in Civ V.

"GUYS IT EVEN TELLS YOU HOW MANY TURNS IT WILL TAKE TO ARRIVE AT YOUR DESTINATION!!1!"

e: I found the ME2 end-game pretty straight forward. Do most of the loyalty missions, follow the advice given in the end-game.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ryan's embrace of Civ V and hearing him talk about its accessibility really makes me want to try it out

Too bad my Mac can't run it :?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    It was also funny when Civ V was suggested for Most Improved Over Prequel, or whatever exactly they called it.

Like, Civ IV was good. It was even pretty quickly patched to include a lot of the features they thought were so revolutionary in Civ V.

"GUYS IT EVEN TELLS YOU HOW MANY TURNS IT WILL TAKE TO ARRIVE AT YOUR DESTINATION!!1!"

That has been in the series since forever.

Did ryan really say that? o_O

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    They made a really big deal about that and like 2-3 similarly long-standing features, was silly.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well.

None of them are really that huge on PC except for dave, vinny and maybe brad.

So I'm not that surprised.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's a fair point. Now that you mention it they're kind of mostly console gamers.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wait a second

I got to the end of the GOTY podcasts

And they never opened Dave's note!

What did it sayyyy

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of dave, I was really hoping to see his Top 10 today.

And all we got was johnny V.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Avoiding spoilers

Most games that aren't ME2 that have multiple endings...you know how to get the best and worst, the game kind of tells you in a really overt way

For better or for worse, ME2 doesn't do that

Out of curiosity, I went to check to see who reviewed Mass Effect 2.

Brad was the reviewer here. I would be shocked if he played it twice and Kelly and Mordin were the only two to die both times. He even states in his review: "Similarly, this game wraps up with so much potential variation in its outcome that I'm having a hard time imagining how the designers can make a third game that accounts for all of the possibilities. "

So I feel like he either skimped a little on his duty to readers that he should've played a game with such a wide range of variations at least twice, or he just felt dumb that he never picked up on one of the factors for ending variations and is taking it out on the game's ending.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    To be fair when reviewing for a game he has a deadline and probably didn't have time to explore those variations.

Plus the fact that giantbomb don't usually get review copies.

edit: though seeing the date of the article I guess they did get review copies of ME2.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They asked Dave to make a list, he declined. I actually liked Johnny V's list/writing, though it's just another situation where his fiancee sounds like not a very nice person to be around (if you've ever caught him on a stream you'll know what I mean)

The note was only in case of tiebreaker

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd almost argue that what he's arguing as the "best" ending to mass effect is probably the weakest of possible ending scenarios in Mass Effect 2. The other potential outcomes have a lot more impact and give much more weight to the players decisions and the general mood of the final mission.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    They asked Dave to make a list, he declined. I actually liked Johnny V's list/writing, though it's just another situation where his fiancee sounds like not a very nice person to be around (if you've ever caught him on a stream you'll know what I mean)

The note was only in case of tiebreaker

It's not like I don't like John's list, I mean, this part was pretty fantastic.

"I'm the Chinese!"

I just want dave. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Maybe Dave felt like he didn't have time to play enough games to justify a list

Busy year for Whiskey Media

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, I almost forgot

I don't think anyone in the Giant Bomb crew knew that you could hold down the button to maintain the horse's speed in Red Dead

Which is insane, to me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That never worked for me

Ever

The horse just kept slowing down

The only time that ever worked was if I was following someone, and the meter would turn green

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So that EA developer dude who had his own podcast and a very sweet accent and a love of indie games said "Minecraft!" and I totally expected him to shoot down Jeff (Ryan's?) "IT'S NOT A GAME!" and that... didn't happen. What the fuck. Does nobody on that show get this game? They share an office with the Tested guys! They act like they've never even heard of survival mode, and then diss it because some people put autocad things into it! What's wrong with these guys?

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You can "follow" by holding the button, yeah, but without a leader you still held a certain speed. A lot of people seemed to think it was more cruise control than modified sprint mechanics, though.

You know how if you mash the sprint button while off the horse you run fast-sprint speed? Then if you hold down the button from that point then you go only normal-sprint speed?

The horse was just like that except it was just a "maintain speed" button - which still went down to "normal-sprint" from "fast-sprint", only now it had varying levels of slower-sprints.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    So that EA developer dude who had his own podcast and a very sweet accent and a love of indie games said "Minecraft!" and I totally expected him to shoot down Jeff (Ryan's?) "IT'S NOT A GAME!" and that... didn't happen. What the fuck. Does nobody on that show get this game? They share an office with the Tested guys! They act like they've never even heard of survival mode, and then diss it because some people put autocad things into it! What's wrong with these guys?

I know, right?! It's madness!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg