As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everybody post in the new [STEAM] thread.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    143999 wrote: »

You mean the gift you GIVE for winning the contest, or the gift you GET for running it?

Oh, the gift I would give would be a future gift, since I have had the reins pulled on me for this Christmas sale. Actually, I was thinking of running a contest like that anyway...like entries for stories about the worst Christmas gift ever, or something.

I don't see a problem with that, as long as you're a classy fellow about it.

Certainly, sir. Tip o' the cap to ye. There shall even be a (poorly made) gift voucher PDF/JPG for the winner.

INTRODUCING:
    The Minecraft-based Future Steam Sale Enablement Contest
    (presented by 143999, Frem, and RandomHajile)
    Frem wrote:
    Minecraft Art

You say you are a classy gentleman? Indeed? Tut, tut. But do you appreciate art? Do you visit galleries showcasing only the finest of artsyness? Do you create art?

Behold, a contest dedicated to that very purpose. You may have heard of Minecraft.

Step 1: Visit the ancient free version at this link. Pick up thine scalpel and sculpt! (B pulls up the block palette. Right and left click to place or remove blocks.)
    Step 2: Post a single screenshot showcasing your classy work of blocky art. Place a red, and yellow block next to each other somewhere in the image so we know you aren't a degenerate cheater. Winners will be judged based on sheer classiness.

I will judge based, as said, on classiness. Bonus points for a subject I really like. For an idea, see my avatar/nick, or one of the three game threads I have posted in lately (okay, here's a hint, they're the RDR, Fallout, and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood threads). It can be a really basic image. I don't know Minecraft very well, but I can tell something like this isn't difficult (well, depending on your artistic ability/imagination, I suppose).

So, what do you get if you win? (In case you haven't been following the thread...) ONE FUTURE $5 GAME/PACK. To be paid on or after March 1, 2010. BioShock 2 on sale for $5 in July? Hell yes. Hitman Pack for $5 next Christmas sale? Sure thing, dawg. Five games for $1 each? Done.

How do you know I won't go back on my word? Well, you don't! That's what is so crazy about this contest! But really, I won't. Just call in your certificate in a PM. If you forget it, I (hopefully) will not, and during the Christmas Steam sale you shall be reminded.

Contest shall end when I get around to it tomorrow. I'll probably be up around noon Eastern. Don't judge me. It's 3:20 and I'm just now going to bed.

Nobody wants to enter a contest for a free game in the future? No? Is it the Minecraft part? Okay, then. How about you just tell me what game you want to see on sale for $5 in the future that you would request if you won said prize? (I really liked the Minecraft thing, though...)

Can I say a game that's not on Steam yet? Because I would love to see KOTOR 2 show up on there eventually.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, how is Republic Commando? I've heard good things about it but the trailer leaves me cold, and my backlog is such that I probably wouldn't even play it until next time it was on sale, be that summer or Christmas.

Why is it good, in other words?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You mean the gift you GIVE for winning the contest, or the gift you GET for running it?

Oh, the gift I would give would be a future gift, since I have had the reins pulled on me for this Christmas sale. Actually, I was thinking of running a contest like that anyway...like entries for stories about the worst Christmas gift ever, or something.

Certainly, sir. Tip o' the cap to ye. There shall even be a (poorly made) gift voucher PDF/JPG for the winner.

INTRODUCING:
    Frem wrote:
    Minecraft Art

You say you are a classy gentleman? Indeed? Tut, tut. But do you appreciate art? Do you visit galleries showcasing only the finest of artsyness? Do you create art?

Behold, a contest dedicated to that very purpose. You may have heard of Minecraft.

Step 1: Visit the ancient free version at this link. Pick up thine scalpel and sculpt! (B pulls up the block palette. Right and left click to place or remove blocks.)
    Step 2: Post a single screenshot showcasing your classy work of blocky art. Place a red, and yellow block next to each other somewhere in the image so we know you aren't a degenerate cheater. Winners will be judged based on sheer classiness.

I will judge based, as said, on classiness. Bonus points for a subject I really like. For an idea, see my avatar/nick, or one of the three game threads I have posted in lately (okay, here's a hint, they're the RDR, Fallout, and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood threads). It can be a really basic image. I don't know Minecraft very well, but I can tell something like this isn't difficult (well, depending on your artistic ability/imagination, I suppose).

So, what do you get if you win? (In case you haven't been following the thread...) ONE FUTURE $5 GAME/PACK. To be paid on or after March 1, 2010. BioShock 2 on sale for $5 in July? Hell yes. Hitman Pack for $5 next Christmas sale? Sure thing, dawg. Five games for $1 each? Done.

How do you know I won't go back on my word? Well, you don't! That's what is so crazy about this contest! But really, I won't. Just call in your certificate in a PM. If you forget it, I (hopefully) will not, and during the Christmas Steam sale you shall be reminded.

Contest shall end when I get around to it tomorrow. I'll probably be up around noon Eastern. Don't judge me. It's 3:20 and I'm just now going to bed.

Nobody wants to enter a contest for a free game in the future? No? Is it the Minecraft part? Okay, then. How about you just tell me what game you want to see on sale for $5 in the future that you would request if you won said prize? (I really liked the Minecraft thing, though...)

Can I say a game that's not on Steam yet? Because I would love to see KOTOR 2 show up on there eventually.

Pffft, Legacy of Kain series. In it's entirety. No HD shens, no additional crap, just those games as they were is good enough. You know you want to Valve.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So i'm seriously considering Amnesia, but I don't really like being scared shitless, and if that's all there is to the game I won't bother.

Is the story pretty interesting? Well written? That would be enough to push me over the edge.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So i'm seriously considering Amnesia, but I don't really like being scared shitless, and if that's all there is to the game I won't bother.

Is the story pretty interesting? Well written? That would be enough to push me over the edge.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Did you play Penumbra? The story felt very similar to that, writing-wise, from what I can remember. Most of it is told through narrated journal entries you find and such. I have not completed it, yet, so I don't know if the wrap-up is good. However, if you don't really like being scared, I'm not sure the game is for you. Easily the scariest fucking thing I have ever sat in front of. However, the fear is delivered in the form of tension, not gore or anything like that. But god damn that tension.

Dourin on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

It starts out as you gave yourself amnesia, and now you're in this fucking scary place trying to figure out what's going on

I'm not even playing it, but I'm watching my roommate play just because I want to know what the story is

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Picked up NWN2 and dead space.

So weak... so very weak.....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    OeshyOeshy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Railroad 2 Tycoon is not available in my region. Ugh! anyone who can help me out?

Oeshy on
    [Steam] Special
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BathTubb wrote: »
    Are the Kane and Lynch 2 DLC worth it?

I'd say pass on the mask pack and the weapons pack.

The Doggie Bag is still a bit overpriced at $2.99, but the three maps are pretty nifty and you can play them in Arcade mode.

However, that might be the only way you'll ever actually play them, since a good chunk of the already tiny K&L2 multiplayer crowd doesn't have access to them.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    I have a question about Killing Floor: does your perk progress get saved on a server somewhere, or is it stored on my PC? And if the latter, where?

it's locally stored, you can use Steam Achievement Manager to modify it.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Think I'll still pick up Dead Space and Plants vs Zombies GOTY edition and that'll be the end of the sale for me. Was an amazing ride xD

Pheace on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Picked up NWN2 and dead space.

So weak... so very weak.....

So you know, there's an error where character and camera movement does nothing but stutter if you're computer has been running for more than a day or so. If you run into this, download this. Put the clientextender.hdl and the launcher in the same folder (any folder) and use that to launch the game, it'll solve the problem.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some people say that Big Isy is a fine and classy gentleman. I will have you know he just gifted me Amnesia... in retaliation! What do you think of him now, huh?
    Fine and classy, through and through.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dourin wrote: »
    Holy shit. CheesecakeRecipe is one classy gent! I minimized ME2 to check out today's sales, only to find a gift of one Hitman motherfucking Blood Money had been gifted to me by the classiest of classy gents! Thanks, dude! Was so bummed I had missed the sale on it New Year's Eve!

Reposting just because I do not want this fine human being's generosity to go unnoticed. This game cannot download fast enough.

Dourin on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    I have a question about Killing Floor: does your perk progress get saved on a server somewhere, or is it stored on my PC? And if the latter, where?

it's locally stored, you can use Steam Achievement Manager to modify it.

Are you sure? I'm quite sure the stats and perks are stored on Tripwire's servers, read it at the Steam Forums once.

If you try playing KF on offline mode, you won't have access to your perks (Unless that was what happened the last time I tried).

I once had to format my computer without backing everything, and I still had my perks once I reinstalled KF.

QUESTION: I liked X-Com, but I was overwhelmed by the difficulty, I remember that there is this X-Com-like game called UFO: Extraterrestials, it even has a base building section, which I read it was simplifed compared to X-Com. It is currently 5.00 USD, should I get it?

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dourin wrote: »

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Did you play Penumbra? The story felt very similar to that, writing-wise, from what I can remember. Most of it is told through narrated journal entries you find and such. I have not completed it, yet, so I don't know if the wrap-up is good. However, if you don't really like being scared, I'm not sure the game is for you. Easily the scariest fucking thing I have ever sat in front of. However, the fear is delivered in the form of tension, not gore or anything like that. But god damn that tension.

I'm willing to cope with the scares to experience a quality game, as i'm pretty keen on the idea of games being more than exciting, happy, fun fountains or ventures in fantasy fulfilment. So Amnesia is BOUGHT.

I just hope it does actually scare me; I suspect i'm getting too game aware - FEAR2 and Dead Space had next to no effect on me, aside from immense frustration at the consolitis.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, harvest, thanks again

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

INTRODUCING:
    Frem wrote:
    Minecraft Art

Also, two free games. Someone let me know when this gets worked out.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    The contest was great, I think it just went a bit unnoticed.
    Also it's not always easy to get the required funding for artistic building even in Minecraft.
    For example look at me, I couldn't finish my last work because I ran out of money and this is all I got:

:mrgreen:
    image3dv.jpg

This is good. I like this one. Might not win, though. (It might.)

I would love to win a copy of Minecraft just to see what all the damn fuss is about it, but I have neither the artistic skill nor patience to take part in this contest, I'm sad to say.

I'm also real tempted on NFS:HP, based on Giant Bomb's consistent praise about it, but that price isn't quite cheap enough for me.

I'm also surprised Civ V wasn't on sale, based on similar hype.

That's good enough for an entry. The prize wasn't really Minecraft, but it could conceivably show up on Steam in the distant future.

Definitely, excellent choice. If you win, you're not committing yourself to that particular game. It's like a wishlist type thing.

Big Isy wrote: »
    Pffft, Legacy of Kain series. In it's entirety. No HD shens, no additional crap, just those games as they were is good enough. You know you want to Valve.

I could have guessed you would say that. I really liked Soul Reaver on the DC, but never finished it due to college.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thank god the sales are ended. Chaos rising wasn't a daily which is what I wanted but I probably shoudn't be buying anything more anyway, and I bought a CoH expansion only to have it go on sale the next day. But otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thank you Iolo for the Freedom Force bundle! I will make you proud by enforcing freedom with an iron fist!

KimFidler on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just wondering. Is there a way you can check what you've been gifted in the past, that isn't checking your Email inbox?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes any good?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »

I could have guessed you would say that. I really liked Soul Reaver on the DC, but never finished it due to college.

I would pay good money to have the entire collection on the PC. Especially if all the bonus material from the PS2 version of Soul Reaver 2 (and Defiance?) was actually included, too.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So ... the Broken Sword Triple Pack is $8.50 and I love point and click adventure games.

On the other hand I'm broke, I'm playing Dragon Age and New Vegas, and school starts in a week.

Do I say fuck it and buy the pack anyhow, or do I stay strong?

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So let's survey the damage:
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam
    Mount and Blade: Warband
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
    The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
    The Secret of Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
    Victoria 2
    Simcity 4 Deluxe
    Sid Meier's Railroads!

Hitman: Blood Money

Daily Sale
    Not on Sale
    Gifted by a Classy Gent

Which may not seem like a lot, but you have to realize that I had over 60 games before...so a lot of things that went on sale I already had (and others I already had on Xbox).

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is definitely the belle of the ball this year, though. As you can see from my sig.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So sad...

So very sad...

Only Bookworm for me today.

I'm not sure $15 for BFBC2 is enough for me to snag it. I feel like I could just wait for a couple months and it may be as cheap or cheaper.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elin wrote: »
    So ... the Broken Sword Triple Pack is $8.50 and I love point and click adventure games.

On the other hand I'm broke, I'm playing Dragon Age and New Vegas, and school starts in a week.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm playing New Vegas and school starts in a week for me too.

I'm trying to stay strong.

So I know it's been posted in here a couple times, but can anyone give me the link to get my dualschock 3 working on my PC so I can play SMB?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    At three bucks, I may just take the risk.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »

Haven't played it, but I seem to remember someone earlier in the thread stating that free would be too much.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elin wrote: »

Buy the first Broken Sword Director's Cut and then wait for the Director's Cut of the second game to be released on PC (it just came out for iPhone).

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

INTRODUCING:
    Frem wrote:
    Minecraft Art

Also, two free games. Someone let me know when this gets worked out.

Finally got some entries. I'm closing this contest at 5PM ET (that's like 28 minutes from now). Get your entries in now now now. Oh, yeah, the classy 143999 is also throwing in Zeno Clash, in case you guys didn't catch that.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have heard universally bad things about both the writing and the game play of Grotesque Tactics, and I don't really like the art style from what I've seen in the trailer and screenshots.

I feel pretty safe avoiding that one.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, found the Grotesque Tactics quote from EM:
    desc wrote: »
    also I'm actively angry at Grotesque for the horrible writing and the sub-deviantart faux anime headshots for characters while they talk incessantly. Grrr.

I told you guys

Grotesque Tactics is a terrible fucking game

don't buy it

if it were free, it wouldn't be worth it

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any suggestions on great non-daily deals that I should be putting in my cart today?

Right now I have:

Grotesque Tactics: $2.99
    Frozenbyte Collection: $5.99 (Should I just buy Trine separately and not get the two Shadowgrounds games?)

I have a feeling I'm missing something.

Edit: Alright I just read the thread and maybe I won't jump on Grotesque Tactics haha

KimFidler on
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KimFidler wrote: »
    Any suggestions on great non-daily deals that I should be putting in my cart today?

Right now I have:

Grotesque Tactics: $2.99
    Frozenbyte Collection: $5.99 (Should I just buy Trine separately and not get the two Shadowgrounds games?)

I have a feeling I'm missing something.

Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Ghost Master
    Children of the Nile
    Everyday Genius: Squarelogic
    EviL genius
    Civcity: Rome

Pheace on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, now that the sale is almost over, my post-mortem is:

Bought for me:
    Assassin's Creed 2 Deluxe
    Bookworm Adventures Deluxe
    Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway
    Crysis Maximum Edition
    Dead Rising 2
    Dead Space
    Deathspank
    Hitman: Blood Money
    Jedi Knight Collection
    Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    Kane & Lynch 2 Doggie Bag DLC
    Lego Star Wars
    Mafia
    Mafia II
    Prince Of Persia 2008
    Prince Of Persia Sands Of Time
    Shank
    Super Meat Boy
    Swords & Soldiers
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction Elite Echelon Edition
    The Witcher Enhanced Edition
    Zeno Clash

Gifted to me by classy gentlepersons:
    Civilization III Complete (by Raidermonkey)
    Evil Genius (by Custom Special)
    Indie Flight Pack (by Lepwave)
    Prince Of Persia Forgotten Sands (by Override 367)
    Serious Sam Gold Pack (by Cheesecake Recipe)

Gifted by me to random passersby and assorted contest winners:
    Alpha Protocol (x2)
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
    Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
    The Witcher Enhanced Edition (x2)

And now, bankruptcy!

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whoops. I accidentally made the new thread early.

Ah well. It's here if you want to post in it or something.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So how did i miss that pb winterbottom is $0.49 ... bought.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So any good steam games that are easy on the computer? Got a new laptop and am tired of games like dead space running at snail pace.

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.