As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XBLA]Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now Available on Steam!!!

1363738394042»

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'm hoping for more DLC at some point so I can play with the vampire deck. Because, shit, it looks awesome, and the last guy beat my ass pretty often with it.

It will probably get nerfed when it hits the multiplayer scene.

Wasn't the nical bolas and the black blue deck nerfed in previous DLC?

On a side note: when I said the nical bolas decks was slow? Could not be more wrong. I just had some unlucky hands while playing it. I threw away some unlocks and I now consider it one of the best decks in the game.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well last night I got the unlock 100% achievement so I've completed the game (until the next expansion drops). It took a hell of a lot of ranked matches to do it, though I will admit to paying for the unlock on some of the decks I didn't like. I've had so much fun I'm considering playing paper Magic again, which I gave up 12 years ago because it was too much of a money sink. Hnnngghghgh must ... be ... strong...

Cullen on
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So did anyone pick this up during the 50% off Steam sale?

I did, after not having played a game of Magic in years (played a lot in college, which was like 10 years ago now).

I'm really digging it. I wish I could edit the decks to keep around 60 cards in them and side out some of the crappier base cards, but oh well. Since the opponents have to do the same, I guess its ok. Just sucks trying to draw your one power card out of a deck of 80, especially if there's not much library searching/card drawing.

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I mean I was really annoyed by the fact that you could sideboard in cards, but not remove cards from the orginal deck. Sometimes I would have loved to have removed land or certain cards, but if they are in the original deck, you can't do it.

I think this game is just the "free" taste of crack they use to try and get you hooked. I was very close to getting back into play again and only work prevented me. Thank god.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The interface is very good, as is the overall presentation. That's ultimately what got me to give it a shot.

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Menasor wrote: »
    So did anyone pick this up during the 50% off Steam sale?

I did, after not having played a game of Magic in years (played a lot in college, which was like 10 years ago now).

I'm really digging it. I wish I could edit the decks to keep around 60 cards in them and side out some of the crappier base cards, but oh well. Since the opponents have to do the same, I guess its ok. Just sucks trying to draw your one power card out of a deck of 80, especially if there's not much library searching/card drawing.

Just dont play with 80 cards in your deck. Think about every card in your sideboard and the way your choosen deck work. Lifegiving artefacts? Mostly useless except when in your starting hand. And even then you might have preferred a more versatile card.

For example: the green deck will kick lots of ass if you play with only the trolls, the branchwood armors and the loxodon warhammers for extra cards. You can even discard a few starting hands untill you get a troll in your starting hand. Its a cheap way of playing though, and can be risky when unlucky or people with global destruction or enchantmentkillers.

Btw, I hate my luck sometimes: I managed to get my rank around 500, only to get manascrewed, drawing all lands or drawing straight up bad hands and fall back to rank 1500-2000 in a morning. I wish I could play against people around the same rank so when I lose, I dont lose a lot of rankpoints.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    New expansion finally hit Xboxlive. :D

3 new decks, i love the red/blue deck and a powerfull vampire deck. Anyone still playing?

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    wait... another new expansion?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    wait... another new expansion?

This is the 3rd expansion. It's been available for steam and ps3 for some time now.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alphagaia wrote: »

3 new decks, i love the red/blue deck and a powerfull vampire deck. Anyone still playing?

yeah still play this game from time to time and got the new expansion... it freezes my xbox on a black screen every time I try and load the game. Tried downloading it again, but didn't work. Guess I'll try clearing the cache next (fucking hate that though as it forces you to re-download all updates again and is annoying)

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, does anyone else get an error about restricted cards being removed from your deck when you play in multiplayer? When my friends and I start a match, when I ready myself, it yells at me for having restricted cards, and removes all the sideboard cards from my deck. This only happens if I have expansion cards, but it doesn't happen to my friend.

Google is not helping.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it happens if you play against someone who doesn't have any of the patches for the expansions maybe?

The new expansion is a lot of fun though, the new decks are pretty anemic though. All are mighty in the hands of the AI, but the versions you get other than blue/red are seriously weakened. The equipment deck is in dire need of more equipment and deck searching cards, and the vampire deck is just so gutted that it pains me to think about it. The whole point of the deck is getting out the vampire that buffs other vampires when you have a black card on your deck, ideally more than one of him, and that all your creatures are vampires. Instead you have one nocturnus in the whole deck and a whole flood of zombies and mosquitos, it's really weak. No match for any other competitive deck online, anything with burn will obliterate you, as will anything with big creatures, or even the other weeny decks who can get creatures out much faster it seems. It also seems to have big problems with it's 'structure' since its a weeny deck which seems to demand you also get 7 land into play to have a chance of winning.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alphagaia wrote: »

yeah still play this game from time to time and got the new expansion... it freezes my xbox on a black screen every time I try and load the game. Tried downloading it again, but didn't work. Guess I'll try clearing the cache next (fucking hate that though as it forces you to re-download all updates again and is annoying)

I had this problem; I had to delete the game and re-download it. (I guess that just re-downloading is different than deleting than re-downloading somehow).

Serule on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ok, so I downloaded a fix for using my XB360 controller on the PC version. (since most of the buttons were completely wrong, or just didnt work without it)

and now whenever I pause the game, the Left Stick's left/right movement are now mapped as me hitting the right trigger button until I close it out and restart the game. but if I don't pause it, it works perfectly fine.

What the hell?

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I'm getting my ass handed to me on the fifth? part of campaign mode, which is kind of annoying to me but probably amusing to you Magic veterans. I have a couple of the expansions apparently, because there is some sort of extra fight in between 3rd and 4th that is not in one FAQ I read.

One thing that happened to me was she used rats to make me throw away a resource card, then I regretted it later because no resource cards were drawn, and she resurrected the rat from her used pile and make me throw away yet another card later. When you are forced to throw away a card, especially early on, what is the priority you should take? I also regretted using Pacifism on a 2/2 creature because she whipped out Nightmare later which is what killed me in 2 turns or so.

Gaspode_T on
    Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wow, this really depends on what hand you decided to play and what deck you are playing with. Toss a land if you still can play some defence or a spell with a high cost. Never discard your creature destroy cards, unless they are useless, like a terror against mono black. Sounds like you just got unlucky after not drawing more lands.

Or just play with the red/black/blue deck. It just loves it when the other player makes him discard its big creatures into the graveyard. Makes it easier to zombify. Also, it has ample abilities to draw lands, so tossing those in the graveyard doesn't mater much.

The black blue artefact deck loves howling mines, which kinda negates the discards since it fills up your hand nicely. Can be very risky though, since it also gives your opponent more cards.

In general: streamline your deck: if you unlocked all cards from your sideborad, choose about 5 cards from there to add to your library. This will make your deck fast and give you a good chance of drawing more usefull cards. Forget the lifegaining artefacts: they are only usefull if you draw them at the start of the game (in a mirrormatch). If drawn in the medium or late game they will slow you down. Also, starting hand is very important. Ideally you would want 2/3 lands, a usefull cheap creature or two, some destroy/defense/land draw and a bigger creature. Dont be affraid to mulligan twice to get this result, but lower your expetations after each mulligan.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the detailed reply, I'm such a newbie at this game I'm basically afraid to play on Xbox Live LOL, that's probably a faster way to learn though...

I don't think I've unlocked all the cards and for now I was kind of picking my deck based upon which one I like...I seem to have done the best with the one that has lots of flying creatures (White?) because they seem to be common enough to stack up early on and get the opponent down to 4 or 5 health which is about when they usually start to lay down some big gun monsters and every battle seems to end pretty close no matter what I do. That's pretty good game balance for a total beginner of the game!

I thought maybe there was a mapping of "if they're red, always play the <foo>" deck but it sounds a little more complicated than that. I actually tried using the same exact deck for the Green deck Garruk dude and it seems to go well but more because of luck.

For offline play I don't see why you would ever re-deal a hand, why not just quit out to main menu and start again?

Gaspode_T on
    Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys, I got this for a fellow forumer as a gift, and we're having connection issues. We can both play multiplayer games, and can even see each other via searches on custom matches, but we keep getting booted with an "error connecting to the game" message. I tried locking out the expansions (he only has the core game) but that hasn't worked either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No-Quarter on