As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Periodic site slowdowns.

ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
For the past few days I've noticed that the site will load terribly slow and often fail to load at all.

Is there something going on with the site/server or is there just some hiccup in the tubes?

Buttcleft on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm experiencing this as well. I assume it's just a side effect of whatever duct tape Alpha is using to keep the forums working in the meantime while we wait for a potential overhaul?

joshofalltrades on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm experiencing this as well. I assume it's just a side effect of whatever duct tape Alpha is using to keep the forums working in the meantime while we wait for a potential overhaul?

But then wouldnt it have been going on the whole time the forums have been back up?

I made the thread cause it just started the past two or so days

Buttcleft on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've noticed it quit heavily today.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Same here. Sometimes when I make a post it'll spin for a while, then tell me I need to wait a minute before making another post (but the post will go thru).

Bobble on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just got a "the server is too busy, try again later" message also.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    Same here. Sometimes when I make a post it'll spin for a while, then tell me I need to wait a minute before making another post (but the post will go thru).

This happens to me occasionally, but I just put it down to my shitty work internet.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I've been getting it, infrequently over the last few days. A lot today. I blame the DVD ad! j/k ;)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah, I've had this happen too

Antimatter on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Ditto

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's all the ego searching that's being done because of the Opinion thread in SE++.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh it's fucking atrocious right now

Still better than having no forums at all though

joshofalltrades on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Macro might actually have a bit of a point, searches put a strain on the forum usually. Though I doubt it's the sole cause.

Henroid on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Something is causing the db server to grind more than usual. If it is ego searching, you are all fired.

I'm working on getting a replication server setup for you guys which should either speed things up or really make the place act strangely. Either way, the soonest I can push that through is sometime next week.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited January 2011
    Something is causing the db server to grind more than usual. If it is ego searching, you are all fired.

I'm working on getting a replication server setup for you guys which should either speed things up or really make the place act strangely. Either way, the soonest I can push that through is sometime next week.

You deserve so many more hats

as well as my love an admiration.

Buttcleft on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Macro might actually have a bit of a point, searches put a strain on the forum usually. Though I doubt it's the sole cause.

Well that depends. A handful of searches can cause a bit of strain, but what about hundreds of ego searches, again and again every few minutes?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, there were something like 300 people on the forumer opinion thread list, so I'm guessing a lot of them were searching.

NotASenator on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the forum just seems to be dragging occasionally. It's rather annoying, but with alpha on the job, it'll be fixed soon.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Had a long stretch of down time just now.

I look forward to the replication server.

Iruka on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Same here, long stretch just now.

Putting in a direct link to one of the forums would give me the option to download a .php of the forum, which was kinda odd. Following the forum link from the front page just gave a white screen.

101 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Oh shit.

Though, the problem seems to be persisting despite the opinion thread so that's probably not the cause at hand. At any rate, thanks for the diligence Alpha. :o

Henroid on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I didn't expect the influx of searching. In lieu of firing you all, I'm just going to disable searching.

Things should run better now :)

Älphämönkëy on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    alpha what are the most searched forum terms?

I have always wondered this

Brolo on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    alpha what are the most searched forum terms?

I have always wondered this

that would take a search to answer

so

bad rolo

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Alpha has shown us all mercy.

Rolo, damn it, now I'm wondering what the answer to that is.

Henroid on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's caused by alpha constantly searching for hat.

MKR on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Then getting frustrated because it won't let him search for something that short and it won't let him put in another search term for 57 seconds.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Then getting frustrated because it won't let him search for something that short and it won't let him put in another search term for 57 seconds.

I doubt admins have this limitation. :rotate:

MKR on
    edited January 2011
    MKR wrote: »

I doubt admins have this limitation. :rotate:

The three letter limitation is a data indexing limitation.

The other limitation, no comment. :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
    edited January 2011
    I'm still getting slow downs, but they are nothing in comparison to what they were.

I'm not complaining, I'm only posting because it might be diagnostically relevant to alpha

Buttcleft on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Forums are running like dirt for me right now. No database errors, but damn.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    See? So bad it made me double-post! :P

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ditto.

It's bad.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, that was me :wink:

There was a security vulnerability in our backup service and I had to re-encrypt our backups. It thrashed the disk a bit more than I was expecting. I've killed the process and queued it for 4am PST.

Sorry about that.

Älphämönkëy on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey it's cool.

Just doin your job.

Keep up the good work, you deserve more hats.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    What you don't know, is that Alpha's hats run the show. He gets different instructions from whichever hat he wears.

It is like wardrobe based MPD.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone else find that page loads are taking a long time?

Brolo on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Today I have been getting partial page loads, some broken images from the penny arcade servers, and overall badness. Other sites and internet services seem to be normal so I don't think it is my connection.

*edit*

When it fails to load completely I see "Chrome Err 101, Unknown Error" -- other pages still load, streaming services uninterrupted.

Jasconius on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's been doing that on my phone the past 2-3 days (partial page loads, broken images), but I figured it was just my phone.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to have an update for you guys early next week!

We have to nail down hosting, but development on our new forums has begun!

Älphämönkëy on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ... new forums?
    (am I the only one who immediately went to check /secret )

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.