As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    edzepp wrote: »
    So, Sonic Colors. Any bullshit motion control or no?

Also, if there is, is there any hope of an HD version?

I'm curious to try it but I'll wait for a price drop

You shake the wiimote for powerups. That's it basically. You can also opt for a Classic Controller.

You just shot my interest meter way up

UnbreakableVow on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I want to disclaimer this with that I have never really been a 'fan' of Sonic (though I genuinely enjoyed the Knuckles segment of Adventure).
    But watching the first 2 minutes of the video in the OP, it just seemed really REALLY unfun. It was almost like a continuous quick time event with everything moving way to quick to even enjoy the scenery / comprehend where you were even going. Maybe it's more fun playing it, but just watching it was (for me) a chore.

No, for sure, it's the flashiest level in the game. It's probably the most "hold forward to win" level in the entire game. Perhaps a better act to show would be from Aquarium Park Zone, the game's water zone. It's one of the best zones in the game, and each act is enormous with lots of alternate routes:

Link!

One thing that's not apparent is how many branching paths there are, as shown in this other run:

Link!
    So, Sonic Colors. Any bullshit motion control or no?

Also, if there is, is there any hope of an HD version?

I'm curious to try it but I'll wait for a price drop

You shake the wiimote for powerups. That's it basically. You can also opt for a Classic Controller.

You just shot my interest meter way up

Protip: Use a wavebird. Best controller for the game by far.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2011
    Oh man

That looks baller as fuck

I almost picked this up today but grabbed Kirby's Epic Yarn instead

UnbreakableVow on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as they don't try to release the anniversary game on the PS2, I'll be happy.

After finishing Colors, I can conclude that I enjoyed SA2 slightly more than I enjoyed Colors. Probably because the over-the-back sections never forced me to try to drift - it looks cool when it's pulled off but something's still just ... wrong about the controls on this. There was also the weird decision of not putting the quick-steps on L/R and making you hold forward WHILE also twitching left and right. That just didn't work.

[The fact that the only criticism I have is so nit-picky speaks a lot for it. Everyone who owns a wii should at least rent Colors]

Heleor on
    edited January 2011
    Oh man

That looks baller as fuck

I almost picked this up today but grabbed Kirby's Epic Yarn instead

Yeah its pretty much the main reason why people who played Colors are interested in what Sonic 2011 holds. Sonic Colors really improved upon Unleashed's formula in all the right ways. I really liked Unleashed, but Sonic Colors is worlds better. It's easily the best Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles.

If Sega can continue to improve what they have in colors, they'll have a pretty great product in Sonic 2011.

TheSonicRetard on
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those Aquarium park videos remind me that Sonic Colors was my gold standard for water levels last year. The underwater controls (especially with the drill) are perfect.

edzepp on
    edited January 2011
    Those Aquarium park videos remind me that Sonic Colors was my gold standard for water levels last year. The underwater controls (especially with the drill) are perfect.

That's because the underwater sections are extremely similar to NiGHTS. Which wound up working perfectly.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2011

That's because the underwater sections are extremely similar to NiGHTS. Which wound up working perfectly.

Go ahead

Make me want this more

I can't believe how good this game looks graphically. I don't even have to use the qualifier "for a Wii game."

I read the Eurogamer review and got pretty excited about it too.

I should have bought this today. :(

EDIT: Bah, fuck it, it's $40 on Amazon, I went ahead and ordered it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One of us. One of us.

Waka Laka on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sonic Unleashed on the 360 was one of the best games of 2008.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AHEM

*fap fap fap*

Waka Laka on
  • SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited January 2011
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine really was a fantastic Tetris rip-off. Had so much fun playing that with friends. That needs to get remade or something.

SurfaceBeneath on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine really was a fantastic Tetris rip-off. Had so much fun playing that with friends. That needs to get remade or something.

I guess you've never heard of Puyo Puyo?

Igort on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puyo_Pop_Fever

That's the latest remake available in the US. Primarily a last generation title but it's available on the GCN/Xbox/PS2/GBA/DS

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The DS one has eight player single cart multiplayer.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ds puyo pop fever is a fucking incredible game for DS. It was close to a launch title, so you should be able to pick it up super cheap. Do it.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Sooooo, not to bump such an old thread with no actual news about the 20th anniversary game, but my old Sonic 4 thread is locked and this isn't really thread-worthy in and of itself.

But I've been working with a person who goes by the name of Polygon Jim, and we've cracked the level data structure for Sonic 4. We can now freely edit levels in the game, and are working on a format which will allow people to place a save on their SD card and play home brew levels ala Super Smash Bros melee.

I'm knee deep into making a full fledged level editor at the moment, been coding it from my old modified HedgehogEditor I showed off here years ago (that project still lives, btw, it's turned into an Xbox Live Indie game).

So... yeah.

EDIT: On that note, editing levels in Sonic 4 is a fucking snap. Like, ridiculously easy. Easier than it was in the old genesis games.

EDIT DOS: We can also load custom tiles and even custom objects, too.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Hell ever happened to Episode 2, anyway? It's kinda, you know...been a while.

Linespider5 on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    EDIT: On that note, editing levels in Sonic 4 is a fucking snap. Like, ridiculously easy. Easier than it was in the old genesis games.

It would be difficult to make editing them harder than the genesis games. :wink:

Does this mean you can also fix the physics?

Frem on
    edited February 2011
    Frem wrote: »

It would be difficult to make editing them harder than the genesis games. :wink:

Does this mean you can also fix the physics?

I don't find the Genesis game's hard to edit really, once you get past the technological barrier. Jim and I are also the ones who cracked the Sonic Xtreme level format (from what was leaked) and Sonic 4 is literally goddamned easier.

Let me put it this way, we tested our shit by making a level in photoshop.

TheSonicRetard on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Hell ever happened to Episode 2, anyway? It's kinda, you know...been a while.

If they're smart, they canned it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Sonic 4 sold incredibly well.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited February 2011
    I thought it failed for some reason. Ah well.

I really didn't like it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    For those who don't remember, this was my old HedgehogEdit program:

spriteeditorfn8.png

I'm resurrecting it for this project.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited February 2011

Then what's the news on Ep 2?

Are they taking a page from the Valve playbook?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2011

Then what's the news on Ep 2?

Are they taking a page from the Valve playbook?

I don't expect to hear anything about until they at least formally announce the 20th anniversary project.

TheSonicRetard on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd actually forgotten Episode 1 had actually been released. I remember people being unhappy with that leaked version with a mine cart or something but I had heard they were retooling all that and supposedly making it a lot better.

Speaking of Sonic, something I've always wondered about was how both SatAM and AotSH gave Robotnik the exact same costume when that costume wasn't what he wore in the games (in the games his outfit looked like black pants, a red shirt, and yellow suspenders or possibly stripes, whereas both shows ditched the stripes for a yellow cross with a circle in the center along with a yellow cape). They also both gave him a cone head instead of a round head.

One show was on ABC and the other was on UPN so I would have thought they didn't have much collaboration. But then on the other hand they did both use Jaleel White for Sonic's voice. Was there some other source for Robotnik's costume that they both drew inspiration from, or did they actually collaborate for Sonic's voice and Robotnik's design yet nothing else?

It wasn't until Sonic Adventure changed Robotnik's outfit that I finally realized he wasn't wearing the cartoon outfit in the old Genesis games. Before that I never really paid attention, or if I did notice I must have assumed it was a graphic limitation thing like Mario having a brown shirt in the first NES game.

Lars on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And for some reason that design was used for Sonic Spinball for the Game Gear, while his traditional design was used for the Genesis version.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited February 2011
    Sega of Japan and Sega of America had different character models for the way Sonic and company looked in each region. When you're dealing with characters like this, you often create a character sheet to say "ok, all official works of art will look like this." It's the reason Sonic always looked shiny and had these dark spots between his quills in US art:

22b48569a35d8c972066e5a73986b2cc-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3.jpg

contrast to how he looked in japan, with a smooth head forming the quills:

Sonic3082107.jpg

Sega of America and Sega of Japan were basically separate companies at that point, so their design models for their corporate mascot differed wildly. When the dreamcast launched, Sega made a conscious effort to bridge the gap and say, "ok, this is what the characters look like all over the world." Hence why he's Dr. Eggman everywhere now.

Sega's not the only company which does this. Notice how Kirby is always happy in japan, and pissed off in the US? That's because of the design model.

EDIT: oh yeah, the point i was making. Sonic Spinball was a SoA game, not SoJ. It was created by STI, sega technical institute. They were made up of the US portion of the team that worked on Sonic 2, and they'd later go on to create Comix Zone. Hence why they used the US Dr. Robotnik art style in-game. That was SoA's version of Robotnik.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited February 2011
    But why was it the japan model in Spinball for Genesis, but the american model for gamegear?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You're right:

American Sonic with Japanese Robotnik
    spin2.jpg

Japanese Sonic with American Robotnik
    spinv.jpg

There doesn't appear to be much of anything in the actual Game Gear game that makes him look like that version of Robotnik, though - all you see of him as a boss is the top of his head and mustache, so it could almost be any version.

And for the record I never really liked the floppy-nosed Robotnik, he was really an embarrassment. The one that never appeared in any canon games is my favorite design, with the bionic arm.

I was also weirded out by the end of Genesis Spinball, where Robotnik was enormous and didn't really use any established designs:

37325870.jpg

And after you beat him and you're falling, he looks especially awful (those dots are his eyes, somehow):

38807160.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spinball is so weird. It looks like some sort of fever dream, like if Ralph Bakshi was the creative director of Sonic.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited February 2011
    And for the record I never really liked the floppy-nosed Robotnik, he was really an embarrassment. The one that never appeared in any canon games is my favorite design, with the bionic arm.

He DOES appear in a canon game - SegaSonic Arcade. If you set the machine to US, the cutscenes replaced the japanese robotnik with the one from SatAM. For some reason, however, there was no official US release of the game, and the machines that did make their way to the US stayed in JPN mode.

segasoniceggman.png

That game is the first appearance of Mighty, along with the last appearance of Ray the Squirrel.

EDIT: And sporky - the first image you posted is the european cover. Europe always used the japanese robotnik. The second cover you posted is the American game gear sonic - that's the american version of Sonic.

TheSonicRetard on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd love it if they brought Mighty and Ray back to be Sonic's sidekicks sometime, rather than Tails and Knuckles. Nothing against the latter, but maybe let them go be something more than Sonic's followers.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He DOES appear in a canon game - SegaSonic Arcade.
    Neat!
    EDIT: And sporky - the first image you posted is the european cover. Europe always used the japanese robotnik. The second cover you posted is the American game gear sonic - that's the american version of Sonic.

The American cover art on the Genesis is exactly the same as the European.

genesissonicspinball.jpg

I thought the American Game Gear cover showed the Japanese Sonic, as you had demonstrated that he lacked the dark line showing the curvature of his head (and implying one flat row of quills). Regardless of which version of Sonic it is, I think it's clearly different from the Genesis art in at least that respect.

genesissonicspinball2.jpg

It's actually a different drawing - you can see subtle differences in the hands and the ear, the eye position, and his "brow" isn't wrinkled in the middle.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited February 2011
    We are solving this mystery.
    The voices won't stop until we do.
    Then I can close that chapter of my life.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • knightblade87knightblade87 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    i know this is ask before, but what mad sonic 4 suck? all i heard was that it was going to be great and people trashing colors for the sole fact it a 3D sonic game. i am a fan of sonic but i forgot about sonic 4 came out, then i heard people say it kind of sucked.

knightblade87 on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i know this is ask before, but what mad sonic 4 suck? all i heard was that it was going to be great and people trashing colors for the sole fact it a 3D sonic game. i am a fan of sonic but i forgot about sonic 4 came out, then i heard people say it kind of sucked.

well, everyone wants Sonic, but no one can agree on what everyone wants Sonic to be.

Linespider5 on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

well, everyone wants Sonic, but no one can agree on what everyone wants Sonic to be.

It has to be exactly the same but it can't just be a rehash!

It needs to be new but still exactly like the old games!

It should remind everyone of the old games but not REMIND everyone of the old games.

But no I didn't really like sonic 4 cause the physics seemed off for Sonic.. Like at times it felt like he could stop on a dime and other times he would just keep going.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • HubHub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gently caress Eggman I wank my crazy professor called Robotnik. Also they should have stopped making sonic game after Sonic sega cd.

So awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VND5nxXkJg&playnext=1&list=PL5CE8041C6BCB250E

Hub on