As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You better not say anything about G. Willow Wilson. She is darling.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    Her Superman fill-in issue was awful, but her Vixen miniseries was fantastic

Coincidentally, the art for both of those stories matched how good they were

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not like Batman's civilian cast, where you can have Harvey Bullock and Jim Gordon go solve crimes and shoot bad guys. We're going to have Perry White look thoughtfully out of his window. I can only imagine the drop in sales.

Lux on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Her Superman fill-in issue was awful, but her Vixen miniseries was fantastic

Coincidentally, the art for both of those stories matched how good they were

DEAD.

BLANK.

STARES.

Furu on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Couldn't they give Roberson the issue to play with, to see what he could do with a more free issue compared to what he will be saddled with? Are they still scared of publishing that Busiek Krypto story?

JMS' run on Superman is officially a catastrophe. The fill-ins are the worst, not because the writers are terrible (maybe they are) but they're doomed from the start because they are saddled with terrible fucking limitations. G. Willow Wilson can't write about Superman, so it has to be about periphery characters that don't have adventures and can't progress the plot in any way.

So whats the bet for retarded preachy message next issue when he gets to Metropolis? Superman scornfully looks down on a pile of mangled corpses and then tells off the people on Metropolis for relying on him and not beating Doomsday themselves.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, when is Grant Morrison going to devote his time to in continuity Superman? I know it won't be as good as All Star, but it's about time he does a multi year run to return Supes to glory.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm...I honestly don't know how you can fix DCU Supes. He's been rebooted twice during this past decade (Infinite Crisis and Birthright) with mixed results. I don't think we need a Grant Morrison approach to fix him. Hell, Geoff's run was one of the best Superman runs I've had the pleasure to read.

He does need someone that will stick with him tho. Just like Grant stuck to Bats and Geoff stuck to Hal. I mean, Byrne and Jurgens Superman had storylines that lasted years to resolve.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm...I honestly don't know how you can fix DCU Supes. He's been rebooted twice during this past decade (Infinite Crisis and Birthright) with mixed results. I don't think we need a Grant Morrison approach to fix him. Hell, Geoff's run was one of the best Superman runs I've had the pleasure to read.

He does need someone that will stick with him tho. Just like Grant stuck to Bats and Geoff stuck to Hal. I mean, Byrne and Jurgens Superman had storylines that lasted years to resolve.

I kind of agree. JMS going on both Superman and Wonder Woman for a few issues, doing his thing, then leaving, hasn't helped either character at all, especially Wonder Woman. I mean, he retcons it all, then just drops out? There's something which probably won't stay.

Solar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If Cornell would be allowed to write Superman with Action #900 and beyond (he kind of has to, one would think), and then write both titles for the time being, that would be a nice way to stabilize the franchise.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One of the Superman books needs a Grant Morrison approach. Fast paced 3 issue arcs, same writer, different artist.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Algert...man, I think you're totally on the money here, but something tells me we won't be seeing something like this until Grant gets The Bat out of his system, which may not be for another two years yet.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    From the success of Action Comics right now, I kind of expect Cornell to stay on it for awhile. And I'd love to see his take on the Man of Steel.

Cornell is a great talent, and I hope they utilize him more and more.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hell, who am I kidding, Action #900 will somehow turn into the super sized conclusion to Grounded.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I actually don't want Morrison to write in-continuity Superman. Not because it wouldn't be good, but because I feel he writes Supes at a do-anything power level that doesn't work well with the shared DC Universe.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    I actually don't want Morrison to write in-continuity Superman. Not because it wouldn't be good, but because I feel he writes Supes at a do-anything power level that doesn't work well with the shared DC Universe.

Well and lets face it, he's already written one of the best Superman stories of all, I'd prefer he just let it ride.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Htown wrote: »

Well, he's also written Superman in JLA which is (was) more or less the spine of the shared DC Universe, and made his power level fit in just fine.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It looks like Ed Benes is now the artist for Steel #1 instead of Sean Chen

and a picture of Doomsday about to beat him up

And checking the solicit info on DC's site they confirm the art change. Which is weird since Sean Chen is a pretty good timely artist.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

And checking the solicit info on DC's site they confirm the art change. Which is weird since Sean Chen is a pretty good timely artist.

There's not nearly enough sexy ladies in this comic for Benes to display his true artistic range.

I am dissapointed.

Also Morrison would do a great solo Superman, and his kind of inventiveness has helped the Bat books no end, i'm sure he can do the same with Supes, plus he's a good enough writer to make it different from All-Star Superman. Either him or Kurt Buseik, someone should ask him if he wants a solid few dozen issues to play with, because he would do a great job.

Solar on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Steel's just a one-shot, right?

Which is to say he'll get in one-shot, then experience sudden decapitation because Doomsday is a serious threat.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Black guy always dies first, John Stewart better look out in War of the Green Lanterns.

really hope they don't put Steel in a coma or a casket for another year.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Black guy always dies first, John Stewart better look out in War of the Green Lanterns.

really hope they don't put Steel in a coma or a casket for another year.

I think Countdown to Infinite Crisis and Titans East Special have shown that C-List characters who start events generally don't live to see their conclusion.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "We here at DC have a deep affection for John Henry Irons, and the qualities he represents. Which is why we knew his death would make for such a strong, compelling story. As we move forward from this titanic tale, we know that fans will be excited to see the fallout from John's death, and the lasting impact it leaves upon the DC Universe.

And be sure to check out Steel #1 in April, where we discover just who exactly is under the mask of the All-New Steel!"

-DC Editorial, January 2011

Munch on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hate to be that guy but...stop raping my childhood. Sigh, kill someone else...like Perry I don't know.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Apparently people want a Lois Lane series?

Simone wrote her rather well in her Action Comics stint, and she would have been a nice backup feature were that still an option, but a series or mini, on the supposed basis that Superman #704 did well saleswise (even though it was a last minute fill-in and the reason sales weren't adjusted)? Granted that's the article's author making that point, but Lois works best as a strong supporting character to Superman.

Or they kill John Henry and Lois becomes the new Steeletto.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    A Lois Lane series in the vein of Superman's Girlfriend would be great, but that fill-in was terrible.

At any rate, I think it needs to be out of continuity to be any good, since it frees her from major events and lets her get into situations without being certain of where Superman is at the time and whether he has her back.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The fill-in was bad from the standpoint of being a Lois centric issue (because it's not something she would every question because that's just not who she is), but as a regular generic woman character piece type story it worked in a sitcom or TV show aspect.

I have a feeling the Perry White issue this week will be in the same vein; no real characterization of Perry White but it will be fine as a general "how does an old reporter deal with these newfangled blogs and online news sites?"

The preview alone looked a bit laughable; oh no people are just now wondering if Lois is sleeping with Superman even though she's married.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A Lois Lane series just can't work without Silver Age Wackiness

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A Lois Lane series just can't work without Silver Age Wackiness

Lois Lane can, Jimmy Olsen can't.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The thing is, there is nothing inherently interesting about a reporter doing reporter things in a comic

There is something funny about her trying to trick Superman into marrying her or turning black for a day and going to Little Africa and Superman being a dick to her

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    See, I think Lois can be interesting when doing reporter things, but they have to be awesome reporter things. I don't want her to be learning about the homeless that live in Suicide Slum, or having yet another confrontation with Lex Luthor. I don't want the DC equivalent of The Pulse or Frontline.

I do want to see her meeting aliens, or attending Cadmus Labs press conferences, and getting swept up into superscience adventures.

Basically, just give the thing to Nick Spencer, and let him do the same thing he's doing with Jimmy Olsen.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Which is pretty much Silver Age Wackiness

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh, totally. I just want to see Silver Age wackiness married to a good narrative structure, and smart characterization.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Oh, totally. I just want to see Silver Age wackiness married to a good narrative structure, and smart characterization.

Yeah I love Silver Age wackiness but with more modern storytelling too, it's the best kind of comic.

Honestly I know that Geoff Johns gets a lot of shit but I really enjoy a lot of his work because it has a really big, Silver Age feel combined with modern storytelling which works very well I think.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Supergirl with her Linda Lang ID seems like she would be the closest to getting what you guys are suggesting, especially with Spencer taking over the book. It allows for Kara to discover stuff in a human persona then slips away, becomes Supergirl, and fixes the problem. Although thinking about it that maybe is more like Silver Age Superman.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Honestly I know that Geoff Johns gets a lot of shit but I really enjoy a lot of his work because it has a really big, Silver Age feel combined with modern storytelling which works very well I think.
    See, that's where Johns fails for me. He uses these wacky concepts, but then tries to make them serious by adding a lot of gore and melodrama. A little drama's okay, but if I never see Barry and Hal standing in a graveyard and having yet another serious conversation about how sad they are, it'll be too soon.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    See, that's where Johns fails for me. He uses these wacky concepts, but then tries to make them serious by adding a lot of gore and melodrama. A little drama's okay, but if I never see Barry and Hal standing in a graveyard and having yet another serious conversation about how sad they are, it'll be too soon.

Well the overwrought gore and so on is where he falls down

But I think the idea of going "let's have some Silver Age scale shenanigans!" but actually putting believable characters and interesting plots and emotional involvement in there is a solid one. Look at Thor: The Mighty Avenger, that is just like "this week, Thor fights robots! Yaaaay!" but then it has the rather sweet relationship between Thor and Jane which is done maturely and believeably and oh God why did they have to cancel it arghg

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Chris Roberson interview

If JMS is hurting you, Chris, write out beef bourguignon with ketchup.

Did not know Roberson is from Austin, that makes me want to support him. But in doing so I am supporting the idea of Grounded. And it seems like he's going to be tethered with Grounded for each issue, in that while he can play around in a city or something, he still has to hit points A-Z for JMS. He mentions he might have a detour or two along the way but I'd have to see the preview pages to understand what would be a long enough detour.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For essentially the first time (I'd read some single issues of it before), I finally read all of Superman: Brainiac and the first two volumes of New Krypton (while Johns was still writing and NK was on earth) today. It reminded me how great that crossover and those ideas were at the beginning, and I kind of fell in love with that storyline again. It was fantastic up until Codename Patriot, when it went to shit and became a series of editorially mandated crossovers to finish it up.

Still, I'm kind of proud I've actually read every single issue of that entire massive event now (even Superman: Secret Files: 2009: Codename: Patriot!). It had a lot of great moments, and I'd still like to eventually get the Mon-El, Supergirl, and Last Stand of New Krypton trades.

One thing I noticed:
    When they clear Supergirl of K-radiation poisoning, Zor-El warns that an overload could destroy the machine and spread the sickness to Zor or Alura. Then, the machine overloads, and we see Alura get hit by a ray of K-Rad. From that point on, she is stone cold for the rest of the mega event. I guess it could've been done as a fake-out involving Superwoman, but I feel this was a plot point that they never got a chance to elaborate on when the event had to be cabaled to make room for JMS's disastrous failure.

Also, there were a few things at the beginning that I've forgotten the resolutions of since the event is so far gone:

When/how did Brainiac get his ship back from New Krypton?

What was the deal with the creature commandos and doomsday? Did they make return appearances (I can't remember)?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Looks like Action #900 means Superman is back in his own book:

1294171948.jpg

50 page lead story, and special writers doing short stories. I do hope there is a brighter, happier cover coming out for the big anniversary issue, like Superman #700 was.

On a sadder note, Steel #1 is pretty much going to happen the way we thought it was. Get those black armbands ready.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know, it's not often we see the Superman underwear underneath his pants.

Lux on