As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You gotta admit, the ones that seem to get consistent work really do a good job. I loved Steve Blum's delivery of ... pretty much everything in those two videos we've seen so far.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not complaining, really - I love Jennifer Hale in every role she's in except femshep (she sounds so bored!), and I like Nolan North and Blum too.

It's just not hard to guess who's going to be voicing protagonists/antagonists/deuteragonists/love interests this gen.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy fuck. This is like if testosterone, explosions and a boot had a baby. WANT.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have no idea who Steve Blum is, as most of his roles seem to be either anime or small/background parts in video games.

His work in Bulletstorm sounds fantastic, though. I can't see his voice doing wrong unless the rest of the dialogue doesn't live up to dick scaring and train talking.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who'd he voice?Only every badass ever...also some not-badasses

Kazaka on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    I think the voice actress for femshep is doing the voice acting for the female companion.

Confirmed.

Man, video game voice talent is pretty much "pick from these five guys and these three ladies".

It's the same in Japanese and American cartoons

Believe me, if you play a lot of video games and watch a lot of cartoons, you will basically recognize everyone at some point

There's a few dudes who are even more prolific than Blum, they just don't get the leading roles. They get side characters or villains, but you always know it's them

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So, these haven't been posted, but it seems the Bulletstorm marketing machine is picking up steam.

http://www.giantbomb.com/learn-more-about-the-characters-of-bulletstorm/17-3620/
    http://www.giantbomb.com/deep-thoughts-with-mike-capps/17-3648/

These videos are pretty awful. All of those walkthroughs and gameplay trailers? Those were good. These things? Awful. Its Daikatana all over again. I have no doubt in my mind that Bulletstorm will be great, but this brofest crap is painfully off putting. Stop calling players dicktits.

Klash on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dicktits? O_o

:lol:

The first video isn't too bad, the action looks pretty rad but I uh, think I'm waiting on reviews for this one.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think the difference between Daikatana and Bulletstorm is that Bulletstorm is self-aware and Daikatana was not

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It still reeks of try-hard, though. Tonally, its becoming a parody of a parody, not by fault of the game, but because the marketing team is daft. Its like they heard DNF was coming out and freaked, so they said "oh yeah? WELL, WE'RE A BIGGER JOKE! NEH-NEH!"

I think I'm going to have to avoid any news on Bulletstorm until release.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    It still reeks of try-hard, though. Tonally, its becoming a parody of a parody, not by fault of the game, but because the marketing team is daft. Its like they heard DNF was coming out and freaked, so they said "oh yeah? WELL, WE'RE A BIGGER JOKE! NEH-NEH!"

I think I'm going to have to avoid any news on Bulletstorm until release.

Yeah I'm not gonna bother watching any marketing videos

I'll let the game's creative swears speak for themselves

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In case anyone didn't see it, this is from the game's ESRB rating description:
    This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a space pirate who must escape a planet populated by mutant cannibals. Players use futuristic machine guns, shotguns, magnum revolvers, assault rifles, and chain guns to perform over-the-top kills that dismember and decapitate foes. Injured enemies emit large sprays of blood that stain the ground and surrounding walls. Specialty kills (i.e., Skillshots) represent the most intense instances of violence: enemies can be dismembered with explosives; impaled on spikes; and drilled into walls, resulting in body parts breaking into pieces. During the course of the game, players can consume alcohol and kill enemies in order to receive an Intoxicated Skillshot; the screen turns blurry during these sequences. The dialogue contains numerous jokes and comments that reference sexual acts, venereal diseases, and having sex with one's mother (e.g., "Guess I know where the ol' gal got that limp."). The names of some Skillshots are infused with sexual innuendo (e.g., Gag Reflex, Rear Entry, Drilldo, Mile High Club); one Skillshot (i.e., Fire in the Hole) allows players to shoot at enemies' exposed buttocks. Language such as "f**k," "sh*t," "p*ssy," and "c*ck" can be heard in dialogue.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    boneposerboneposer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the ESRB thing was pretty amazing. They should use that as a selling point, it'd sure work on me.

Also, has anyone ever heard people classify the genre "over-the-top shooter" before this? There have certainly been a few, but seeing it in print makes me chuckle.

boneposer on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a space pirate who must escape a planet populated by mutant cannibals. Players use futuristic machine guns, shotguns, magnum revolvers, assault rifles, and chain guns to perform over-the-top kills that dismember and decapitate foes. Injured enemies emit large sprays of blood that stain the ground and surrounding walls. Specialty kills (i.e., Skillshots) represent the most intense instances of violence: enemies can be dismembered with explosives; impaled on spikes; and drilled into walls, resulting in body parts breaking into pieces. During the course of the game, players can consume alcohol and kill enemies in order to receive an Intoxicated Skillshot; the screen turns blurry during these sequences. The dialogue contains numerous jokes and comments that reference sexual acts, venereal diseases, and having sex with one's mother (e.g., "Guess I know where the ol' gal got that limp."). The names of some Skillshots are infused with sexual innuendo (e.g., Gag Reflex, Rear Entry, Drilldo, Mile High Club); one Skillshot (i.e., Fire in the Hole) allows players to shoot at enemies' exposed buttocks. Language such as "f**k," "sh*t," "p*ssy," and "c*ck" can be heard in dialogue.

Ever since Brutal Legend it feels like the ESRB is the shared marketing people of the video game world.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am wondering what Skillshot Gag Reflex is

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Guess I know where the ol' gal got that limp."
    The more of this, the better.

I'd buy this game based on the ESRB warning alone.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I have to admit from what I can see from the ESRB rating it sounds awesome. I like others, am intrigued as to what the "Gag Reflex" could be.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am wondering what Skillshot Gag Reflex is

I've seen it pop up in a video. I think it has something to do with shooting a guy in the neck.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Normally when I have no interest in playing a game, I try to avoid posting in their G&T threads...you know, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" and all that. It doesn't always work mind you.

But this game..... it looks terrible. Its disappointing that they tied the Gears 3 beta to it. Seems like a sub par shooter that's trying to sell itself by coming off as "extreme with lots of swearing!!!". Ugh.

Valleo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Valleo wrote: »
    Normally when I have no interest in playing a game, I try to avoid posting in their G&T threads...you know, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" and all that. It doesn't always work mind you.

But this game..... it looks terrible. Its disappointing that they tied the Gears 3 beta to it. Seems like a sub par shooter that's trying to sell itself by coming off as "extreme with lots of swearing!!!". Ugh.

If there's one thing this game will not be, it's a sub-par shooter

I don't know if you've ever played Painkiller, but that was their previous game, and Painkiller was fucking sick

And I can say without exaggeration that the story for Painkiller is way worse than Bulletstorm's

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, if People Can Fly come up with anything that is half as much fun as the Painkiller from that very same game, this will be a good time. That is one of the greatest weapons ever in a FPS. It is a thing of glory.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm a big fan of the gun that shot shurikens and lightning

And had a third, alternate fire that shot a shuriken infused with lightning

Also the rocket launcher that was also a minigun

Basically the weapon design in Painkiller was a thing of beauty

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, you gotta love a team that's like, "What's better... a rocket launcher or a minigun?" and then someone else is like, "Hey, I've got an idea."

Drake on
  • Options
    spafeyspafey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What are the chances of the gears 3 beta being tied to this?

spafey on
    I ate the entire cake. At one point, I remember becoming aware of the oppressive fullness building inside of me, but I kept eating out of a combination of spite and stubbornness. No one could tell me not to eat an entire cake - not my mom, not Santa, not God - no one. I would eat cake whenever I damn well pleased. It was my cake and everyone else could go fuck themselves.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    spafey wrote: »

Confirmed?

Last I heard, anyway

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    spafeyspafey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    spafey wrote: »

Confirmed?

Last I heard, anyway

This is why my wallet hates me.

spafey on
    I ate the entire cake. At one point, I remember becoming aware of the oppressive fullness building inside of me, but I kept eating out of a combination of spite and stubbornness. No one could tell me not to eat an entire cake - not my mom, not Santa, not God - no one. I would eat cake whenever I damn well pleased. It was my cake and everyone else could go fuck themselves.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wheres that Futurama "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" picture when I actually mean it?

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the gun that shot shurikens and lightning

And had a third, alternate fire that shot a shuriken infused with lightning

Also the rocket launcher that was also a minigun

And the craziest thing is, THOSE AREN'T EVEN THE BEST GUNS (for me, at least). I loves me my stake launcher, if only because it lets me channel my inner Ahnald.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDztrw_0N8M

So yeah, I'm excited for this game. The story's going to be bad, but if there's anything as artistically amazing as the scenery for the final boss from Painkiller, then the art design and the gameplay are gonna be all I need.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I seriously could care less about story in just about any game but a traditional RPG or Adventure. An absolutely horrible story hasn't stopped me from putting in over 115 hours in Borderlands. If this game is as silly and fun as it looks in the media I've seen so far, I'll probably sink a ton of time into Bulletstorm too.

I just hope it's co-op matchmaking is a better than Borderlands horrible Gamespy implementation.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    I seriously could care less about story in just about any game but a traditional RPG or Adventure. An absolutely horrible story hasn't stopped me from putting in over 115 hours in Borderlands. If this game is as silly and fun as it looks in the media I've seen so far, I'll probably sink a ton of time into Bulletstorm too.

I just hope it's co-op matchmaking is a better than Borderlands horrible Gamespy implementation.

Apparently it's been confirmed that it'll use GFWL. Yeah, I know, a lot of people hate it and bla bla bla. It's still a lot better than what's in Borderlands.

It's also confirmed that Bulletstorm will be on Steam.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wait, are you telling me its got a DoWII type DRM situation? Or is it simply available on Steam?

Still, use of GfWL is levels of stupid that I am sad to see Epic/People Can Fly falling to. Its a dying, failing system, and they want to stake their game on it? Yuck.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It will be sold on Steam. There has been nothing to indicate that Steam will be required.

With Epic seemingly focusing mostly on the 360 recently, it probably makes sense to them to go with Live for the PC version. Also, in exactly what way is GFWL dying?

Peewi on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    It will be sold on Steam. There has been nothing to indicate that Steam will be required.

With Epic seemingly focusing mostly on the 360 recently, it probably makes sense to them to go with Live for the PC version. Also, in exactly what way is GFWL dying?

GFWL isn't really dying, it's just that one of it's remaining major games (DOW2) is getting put on Steamworks.

I trust Epic to take the multiplayer of this game and make it work well with both finding a game and in the actual balance.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Its dying in the sense that its not going anywhere or doing anything. Anyone with any sense is moving over to Steamworks, and their store can be counted on your hands. Microsoft just shows up once a year and says "go PC gaming!", throws some money at it for a new coat of paint, and then meanders off.

Its a pretty stagnant piece of junk, that against a moving and growing competitor like Steam, is just going to limp along as Microsoft throws it a bone. Its also just awful and I like to imagine it's going to disappear any day now.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Considering the relationship between Epic and Microsoft, I'd be surprised if they even had a choice. And if they did, they'd probably go back to Gamespy since they know it and have used it well before.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Considering the relationship between Epic and Microsoft, I'd be surprised if they even had a choice. And if they did, they'd probably go back to Gamespy since they know it and have used it well before.

Well, gamespy works fine for a server browser. The UT series has always used it, and it works fine there.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I haven't played earlier games from Epic, but the friends list in UT3 does not seem good in any way.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The friends list doesn't count, since the other UT games didn't really have that.

However, the rest of them connected, hosted, and played fine online.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Going to frame this and put it on my wall. It's a work of art.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A space pirate who must escape a planet populated by mutant cannibals.

I'm still letting that line sink in.

The_Scarab on