As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plans for PAX '06

• EskoEsko Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    im trying to decide how to manage packing....im considering bringing my 360 with me or I might get a PSP around the time of the trip...and should I get a messenger bag to take to the expo or use a backpack? any recommendations as far as stuff like that goes?

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    As far as what kind of bag to carry with you, just pick something that will be comfortable if you have to spend several hours straight standing with it.

Also there's not really any point to bringing a full sized console unless you want it for your hotel room. Just bring a PSP or DS and you'll have tons of multiplayer gaming fun.

Weaver on
    edited January 2006
    yeah thats what i was figuring,plus lugging the console on the flight for 3 days isnt worth it...and I wouldnt have much room for the free shit....looks like i'll be picking up a PSP around the time of PAX

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2006
    Just as a heads up, we'll also be having a dedicated "wireless lounge" for PSP/DS freeplay and tourneys.

It will be sweeeeeeet. :)

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited January 2006
    That sounds cool as hell......PSP it is!!

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Just as a heads up, we'll also be having a dedicated "wireless lounge" for PSP/DS freeplay and tourneys.

-robert

ohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohman

Weaver on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2006

-robert

ZOMGPWNZORDSPSPEPIX!

:D

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006

-robert

Fanrific!

It's awesome to go to huge nerd events like this and go to the DS Download mode and see a bunch of games waiting for participants.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    The Geek wrote:

-robert

Fanrific!

It's awesome to go to huge nerd events like this and go to the DS Download mode and see a bunch of games waiting for participants.

And by then?

TEN PLAYER SINGLECART TETRIS. :o

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

-robert

Fanrific!

And by then?

TEN PLAYER SINGLECART TETRIS. :o

hummina hummina hummina hummina

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Well my PAX plans may have just gone out the window. Anyone want to let me stay in a room with them? I don't take up much space

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited January 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Well my PAX plans may have just gone out the window. Anyone want to let me stay in a room with them? I don't take up much space

i dont mind sharing a room....

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    Trillian wrote:

There certainly is lots of time left to make new ones. :D

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    apotheos wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

There certainly is lots of time left to make new ones. :D

I am sure everything is going to be ok.

Puerto Rock on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2006
    I think there are enough people here who know and like you well enough to house you, Trillian. Plus, you're a woman, and women generally dont have a problem finding room & board with geeks around.

Unknown User on
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I think there are enough people here who know and like you well enough to house you, Trillian. Plus, you're a woman, and women generally dont have a problem finding room & board with geeks around.

spoken like a true nerd. i couldn't have said it better myself.

Nephirij on
    edited January 2006

^^ I just found this out within minutes of posting my problem.

Thanks guys!! <3

And I don't even have to put out!! :D<3

Trillian on

edited January 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Trillian wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    I have confirmed that there will be drinking involved to celebrate a nice person's birthday after PAX.

There will be drinking.

And rejoicing.

And tango.

Do we really need a reason?

My birthday is a few days after PAX

There will be no love for me :(

Shut it. You get enough love.

I need some love.

Ok I'll fix that.

There will be no birthday alcohol for me :(
    (I'll be getting some love though :winky:)

Fuck! I got dumped.

I'm drinking.

Trillian on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Fuck! I got dumped.

I'm drinking.

Alcohol for everyone!

Legacy on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    So people have been strongly suggesting (and suggested for the 05 PAX) to bring condoms. So which one is it?

A.) Side effect of mass drinking, or
    B.) People lying to get more turnout to the show.

Doesn't change things either way, just curious.

Polago on
    edited January 2006
    PolaGo wrote:
    So people have been strongly suggesting (and suggested for the 05 PAX) to bring condoms. So which one is it?

A.) Side effect of mass drinking, or
    B.) People lying to get more turnout to the show.

Doesn't change things either way, just curious.

Hey.

Sometimes it happens.

Not to everyone of course. Probably not even to 5% of the people there.

But it happens.

Legacy on
    edited January 2006
    well you never know who might end up in the hotel bar at the end of the night....however wearing the PAX shirt might not do it for all of them....some people may end up getting lucky....

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • SkroggtarSkroggtar Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Hey.

Sometimes it happens.

But it happens.

I honestly believe the amount any given PAX-going girl gets hit on is directly proportionate to the amount of males who read this.

Skroggtar on
    edited January 2006
    Skroggtar wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Hey.

Sometimes it happens.

But it happens.

I honestly believe the amount any given PAX-going girl gets hit on is directly proportionate to the amount of males who read this.

Poor dignity, how quickly you left those poor souls. :D

I sure as hell am not planning on anything like that happening (not like it does anyways around me :P ), but i'm also not the creep who's looking to leer at people. I'll just be around for a good fun time. :)

Polago on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2006
    hey puerto rock, polago guess what, another PAX noob joins in! And he needs roommates :P (that is if i can go T_T)

Unknown User on
    edited January 2006
    yeah, im not speaking with intentions of baiting a girl back to my room...im just going cause it seems like a blast and will be my first trade show...whatever happens happens....

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
    edited January 2006
    Esko wrote:
    yeah, im not speaking with intentions of baiting a girl back to my room...im just going cause it seems like a blast and will be my first trade show...whatever happens happens....

It's not a trade show.

It's a 'convention'.

We're not going there on business.

Legacy on
    edited January 2006
    same principle.....plus when mentioning to people who arent aware what it is "trade show" just tends to sound better than "convention" :wink::|

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
    edited January 2006
    PAX 04 had some girls, maybe 30 and about 27 of them were in a relationship and the other 3 were hiding out. PAX 05 had about 150 girls with 129 in a relationship 12 of them hiding 2 lesbians out of a relationship who found eachother and the rest were hiding. Actually one wasn't hiding. She let every one know she was single. She was taken within moments of arriving in Bellevue.

As for the ones in hiding (that is pretending to be unavailable) the #s haven't gotten back to me yet but it appears that according to some sources when those girls found the right guy they sent out signals and some guys even picked up on those signals. Some did not. And a few pick up artists smooth criminal bastards seduced a few girls in relationships out of relationship and and a few on the side. Those sly dogs.

As you can see the # of ladies coming to these things are rising, The chances, though still pretty low, are rising. If you don't like being afraid of having STDs and are sexually active do yourself a favor and bring condoms.

Puerto Rock on
    edited January 2006
    Esko wrote:
    same principle.....plus when mentioning to people who arent aware what it is "trade show" just tends to sound better than "convention" :wink::|

:|

Legacy on
    edited January 2006
    PAX 04 had some girls, maybe 30 and about 27 of them were in a relationship and the other 3 were hiding out. PAX 05 had about 150 girls with 129 in a relationship 12 of them hiding 2 lesbians out of a relationship who found eachother and the rest were hiding. Actually one wasn't hiding. She let every one know she was single. She was taken within moments of arriving in Bellevue.

As for the ones in hiding (that is pretending to be unavailable) the #s haven't gotten back to me yet but it appears that according to some sources when those girls found the right guy they sent out signals and some guys even picked up on those signals. Some did not. And a few pick up artists smooth criminal bastards seduced a few girls in relationships out of relationship and and a few on the side. Those sly dogs.

As you can see the # of ladies coming to these things are rising, The chances, though still pretty low, are rising. If you don't like being afraid of having STDs and are sexually active do yourself a favor and bring condoms.

Unless girls are throwing themselves at guys at PAX (which the most definitely are not) then i'd equate this to E3, ie you don't have sex at E3 unless you're working at it.

Also, what if i'm not sexually active? ;)

Polago on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    if any girl starts sending me signals (not that i expect it to happen mind you) and i don't pickup on them(cuz i'm kinda daft like that) . . . feel free to punch me in the gut and say "hey i'm sending you signals you dork" that would really help, thanx :P

that being said . . i think that trying to hook up with girls at conventions is a waste of time. most of the time they are already taken. if they're not taken, they're not there to find a guy and deflect each new pickup line that comes their way. the ones who are actually open to hooking up with a guy at a convention are usually taken right away. if by some strange miracle a you find a girl at a convention who is interested in you, you find out that she lives hundreds of miles away from where you do so perusing any sort of meaningful relationship is out of the question and so you spend the rest of the convention trying to get that one night of cheap meaningless sex, scare her off, and now the convention is over and all you have to show for it is the hand bag you got on day one when you got there, and possibly a restraining order so you can't stalk her at the convention next year.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    edited January 2006
    if any girl starts sending me signals (not that i expect it to happen mind you) and i don't pickup on them(cuz i'm kinda daft like that) . . . feel free to punch me in the gut and say "hey i'm sending you signals you dork" that would really help, thanx :P

that being said . . i think that trying to hook up with girls at conventions is a waste of time. most of the time they are already taken. if they're not taken, they're not there to find a guy and deflect each new pickup line that comes their way. the ones who are actually open to hooking up with a guy at a convention are usually taken right away. if by some strange miracle a you find a girl at a convention who is interested in you, you find out that she lives hundreds of miles away from where you do so perusing any sort of meaningful relationship is out of the question and so you spend the rest of the convention trying to get that one night of cheap meaningless sex, scare her off, and now the convention is over and all you have to show for it is the hand bag you got on day one when you got there, and possibly a restraining order so you can't stalk her at the convention next year.

A little overboard, but very well said on all fronts. :^: post.

Polago on
    edited January 2006
    This line of thinking should've been just ended a bit ago.

There's no need to discuss it really. At least, I don't think there is...

Legacy on
    edited January 2006
    Legacy wrote:

Totally correct, and gives me a chance to move onto my next train of thought:

If I were to go into a doubletree room party, what are the chances that i'd find a guiness anywhere? How about a carbomb? I hear of people saying "you'll be getting drinks from people left right and center" but i'd be happier getting my own if people are trying to hand me watery crap like bavaria. :D

Drunk is drunk, but i'd like to have some good to my drink. :)

Also, do the doubletree TV's have those annoying locks on the ports on the back? I'd like to bring my SNES and some crap like DBZ: Hyper Dimension, MK2, and Turtles tournament fighters (all japanese versions) for some old school fun, but I dont' want to haul around the stuff and not be able to use it.

Polago on
    edited January 2006
    PolaGo wrote:
    Legacy wrote:

If I were to go into a doubletree room party, what are the chances that i'd find a guiness anywhere? How about a carbomb? I hear of people saying "you'll be getting drinks from people left right and center" but i'd be happier getting my own if people are trying to hand me watery crap like bavaria. :D

Also, do the doubletree TV's have those annoying locks on the ports on the back? I'd like to bring my SNES and some crap like DBZ: Hyper Dimension, MK2, and Turtles tournament fighters (all japanese versions) for some old school fun, but I dont' want to haul around the stuff and not be able to use it.

I think it's something we could talk about it. But I guess I am alone in that assumtion.

I think a room party is going to need drinks and besides the Turbine Party not much beer was given away. These geeks (me absofacto included) don't know how to party and the people who have thought ahead enough tend to only provide thier own booze. I would suggest just being social with like minded epople and thinking ahead because after a certain time you can't find drinky drinky anywheres.

And yes the doubletree does have those stupid video in locks on the wires. Some people in 04 figured out how to get the locks off but in 05 it just got to fustrating and I quit. I suggest figuring something else out.

Puerto Rock on
    edited January 2006
    PolaGo wrote:
    Legacy wrote:

I think it's something we could talk about it. But I guess I am alone in that assumtion.

I think a room party is going to need drinks and besides the Turbine Party not much beer was given away. These geeks (me absofacto included) don't know how to party and the people who have thought ahead enough tend to only provide thier own booze. I would suggest just being social with like minded epople and thinking ahead because after a certain time you can't find drinky drinky anywheres.

And yes the doubletree does have those stupid video in locks on the wires. Some people in 04 figured out how to get the locks off but in 05 it just got to fustrating and I quit. I suggest figuring something else out.

Hmmm...no console then. The wifi room sounds better already. I'd consider the BYOC room, but i'd assume it'd be packed and it'd be better just to join in someone else's game.

As far as boozing goes, i'll get all my own i'd bet but i'll probably get some for a few people too (at least i'm assuming so). Socializing with like minded good people is obviously the first agenda of course. That's essentially the point of the show. Gamers with gamers for gamers. Until cash money takes over. :D

Only other question I can think of right now: How's the pool at the bellvue doubletree? It looks really great but i'm also wondering if anyone really used it from PAX.

Polago on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2006
    Everyone just decide to go gay for a week

Then everyone who wants to hook up with a nerd is spoiled for choice

Knob on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    if your worried about locked video in jacks, just bring you own tv. shit i know i've done that on vacations before.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    edited January 2006
    Skroggtar wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Hey.

Sometimes it happens.

But it happens.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Trillian on