As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting and Practicing- dancers 1/20

12346»

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I always love your colour choices. No advice, just wanted to stop by and say that!

tynic on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hm, I never considered trying to make cartoons/caricatures before. Neat!
    Thanks a lot, Tynic! I appreciate encouragement, too, not just advice :)

I made another beetle:

IMG_5002.jpg

and botp the other beetle:

beetle345.jpg

lyrium on
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lyrium you make really awesome arts.

I love the tree with the girl under it (or the girl with the tree over her) and also the violin with the exposed wood. It's super neat.

Chromatomic on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Chromatomic!

Hey guys you'll never be able to guess what kind of insect I painted last night!
    Wait for it-

A beetle

beetle349.jpg

lyrium on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it a beetle?

Are these paintings in the same vain as those pinned up butterflies in glass cases?

NibCrom on
    edited August 2010
    Exactly, NibCrom! I really like beetles and I saw a few collections of them (as well as plenty of live ones) in Ecuador. It gave me the idea to make some paintings of them to practice with my new paints and decorate my room in my new apartment. I still want to make more.

I just finished a painting, 1 foot by 2 feet. I used my old craft paints on this one again because it is pretty big.

dodotoypiano.jpg

I will take a photo in the sunlight tomorrow, or maybe see if I can scan it.

lyrium on
  • CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cute painting. I also like the bugs that you posted earlier.

The portraits you posted are my favorite, though. I think you have some serious potential if you continue in the direction you're going. Keep experimenting with colors on the face and I think that they'll continue to be interesting. :)

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • psilynpsilyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just wanted to let you know.. I love your art.. I wish I could be better with traditional mediums haha.

psilyn on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks Blackula! That's very encouraging because painting people is what I want to do. I'm going to be experimenting a lot in these coming months actually, because I have to make more work for an exhibit I get to have in the Spring!
    Psilyn, thank you so much. If you want to try traditional mediums you should! They are a lot of fun and you can use whatever you have laying around. After all, if you want to get better all you need to do is practice.

I scanned the dodo, but photoshop shrunk my pictures. Here are some bits a little larger, anyway:

dodohead.jpg

dodobody.jpg

Also I have more of these guys:

beetle360.jpg

beetle359.jpg

My plan for the beetles is to go to the fabric store and take pictures of some of the patterns, then pencil fabric pattern with colored pencil faintly in the background, a different one for each beetle. Do you guys think that sounds okay or would it be too busy? I want to make the images seem more.. homey? When I look at the beetles I have little personalities in my mind for them but I know that mostly everyone else just probably looks and sees a bug, so I thought this would be a way for me to give the paintings more personality. What do you think?

lyrium on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the pink tip of the beak of the dodo looks like some sort of cloth

the beetles are really great and I like the fabric idea

Tam on
    edited August 2010
    Sweet.

Just a little thing from tonight,

bradsux.jpg

lyrium on
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fabric patterns + beetles = awesome idea

Chromatomic on
    edited August 2010
    I like the idea of that painting but most of it is low contrast to a point that I feel it's hurting the piece.

Tam on
    edited August 2010
    Oh, yeah you're totally right about the contrast. I never really thought about that. Maybe even for quick things like this I should try to make little thumbnails to lay out simple values and make sure I'm thinking about that. Does that sound like it would help?

I also made another lady.

face363.jpg

lyrium on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I think thumbnails would definitely help.

I like the hard shine, nearly metallic, texture you've got in this one
    some facial elements seem misaligned though- the farther nostril seems the most obvious to me

Tam on
    edited October 2010
    Okay, I finally hauled myself to a scanner. There have been stretches of time where I didn't draw, but now I'm trying to do the drawing every day thing again. Here is what I have done since the last time I posted anything:

This man is constantly sneezing so he wears a long scarf that he uses as a handkerchief. He looks like something would Tam draw so I'm worried that Tam did draw him and I saw it and forgot.

ebesneezer.jpg

Philip-2.jpg

reasonableman.jpg

square.jpg

tapirs1.jpg

tapirs2.jpg

and a bunch of tutorial drawing:

I downloaded Loomis finally, though I haven't gotten far at all in it.

loomis1.jpg

Gist figure drawing (practicing with posemaniacs)

tuts1.jpg

tuts2.jpg

tuts3.jpg

tuts4.jpg

tuts5.jpg

tuts6.jpg

tuts7.jpg

Vilppu stuff (again, posemaniacs)

tuts8.jpg

tuts9.jpg

tuts10.jpg

tuts11.jpg

I am hoping to paint something this coming weekend!

lyrium on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Welcome back, Lyrium.

Those are some great figure drawings. Very expressive. Who's method are you using there? Gist?

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TAPIRS YEESSS

Kochikens on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    +5 points for zoo sketches.

rts on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    First time I've seen this thread, and when I got to the bottom of the First page I was sad :(
    but then I saw there were 8 more pages and I got happy in my pants :mrgreen:
    I'm in love with your paintings. Please keep drawing everyday so I can continue to be amazed!!!

ninjai on
    edited December 2010
    I tried another bust drawing-

2010121312381901.jpg

Compared to the one I did some months ago
    bust1.jpg

With this one I tried a few things. I tried to have more contrast, and initially I put down the shapes that were very dark versus very light to try to make it more accurate. I went more slowly and tried to have my pencil strokes follow the form (which was very hard, and I sometimes forgot). I will post my reference when I get home.
    I think it is better than my last one, but what do you think? What did I improve, what didn't I improve? What should I focus on next time?

lyrium on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    do you have a reference picture? I'm not sure if i'm seeing issues in the original bust or in your drawing.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited December 2010
    Yes, I posted from the library scanner so I didn't have my ref bookmark, and I just got home. Here it is:

AlaxanderBust.gif

The bust is a little walleyed and has a kind of bulgy neck, which are two things that always looked wrong to me when I looked at my drawing, but I made it as true as I could to the photo. I may have accidentally made him extra walleyed and extra bulgy since that was on my mind, though.

lyrium on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The bulgy neck is a result of not tapering from the cheek to the jaw enough.
    Sucks when a minor mistake like that can throw the drawing that far off.

Mustang on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the curve of the his right (our left) eyebrow is wrong. You have more like... flat line where his is more angled.

its a bit hard for me to eyeball it but i want to say you made his head a bit too wide from the start. The dark values also seem like they gave you trouble as he looks kinda poofy in your sketch instead of having the flat shades of the statue.

And like Mustang saids, his right (our left) jawbone seems like it goes too far out further adding to the poofy effect.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, unfortunately the shape of his head is definitely off. It's quite frustrating because I tried to be so careful the entire time, but then as soon as I scanned it and had the two images next to each other on the monitor it was immediately obvious. I guess that's something to work on, but it was kind of sad that it was so much easier to see the difference when it was two images on a screen compared with a piece of paper next to the screen. Maybe I will try to fix it up a little.

I have been doing some more casual things in the past few days.

Philipinklittle.jpg

kidslittle.jpg

indigolittle.jpg

This is what I made for brokecracker:

Brokecrackerowltradelittle.jpg

Larger:
    Brokecrackerowltrade-1.jpg

lyrium on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Your stuff has so much personality, Lyrium! I would definitely be up for doing an art exchange when I have more time (:

melting_doll on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, that bird one is great.

NibCrom on
    edited January 2011
    Thanks folks! Yeah, I know studies are good and I like doing them, but I do like just sitting down and making something without worrying too much sometimes.

I want to make a more polished, better version of this when I am not exhausted after a terrible day.

squidlittle.jpg

lyrium on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dig the macabre look. Ima fan

ninjai on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Love the birds, honored to have it in my house! Hope you get the one I mailed you soon!

That squid is fantastic.

I know what you mean about just doing and not worrying, I am going to doodle more for that very reason. For me it is the best way to learn new stuff that I can apply it when doing "serious" work. I would rather not experiment on something I need to finish and polish, but it is no big deal on a scrap piece of paper.

brokecracker on
  • PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want a giant version of that squid on my wall, over my bed, watching me sleep.

Phthano on
    edited January 2011
    Managed to haul myself to a scanner. Here are a few things:

batch1-8.jpg

batch1-008.jpg

batch1-002.jpg

batch1-2-1.jpg

batch1-003.jpg

batch1-4-1.jpg

batch1-005.jpg

lyrium on