As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It is definitely very possible to burn out on Dominion. I did that with Androminion. I'm recovering with Angry Birds.

Also, if anyone wants to try out some online Yomi, shoot me a PM or something.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Any "best games" list that doesn't include Dominion in the top 10 is incorrect.
    Would that apply to "best dice games" or "best minis games" too? :P

On a more serious note: Dominion is excellent, but it's hardly alone in that category. I'd rather play Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates, Race for the Galaxy, Chaos in the Old World, Carcassonne, Goa, Princes of Florence, Stone Age, Through the Ages, Go, Power Grid or Chess any day of the week, given the choice. Heck, I'll go with Hey, That's My Fish before Dominion on some days.

brain operator on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damn it,

I got my Dominion deck down to 2 King's Courts, 2 Monuments 2 Markets and a Expand.

I chickened out though and didn't turn one of those markets into another Monument and I ended up losing the game. If only a Lab had been available, if only.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I'm relatively new(e.g. Monopoly only. Ugh), but with some Christmas money, I just went out and bought Catan and Ticket to Ride. Also, Betrayal at the House on the Hill will be with me tomorrow.

I've only had the chance to play Catan so far, and all I can say is...

so good

Xtarath on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nice work, except where you bought Catan instead of Dominion. Still, welcome aboard.

scrivenerjones on
  • OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »
    So, I'm relatively new(e.g. Monopoly only. Ugh), but with some Christmas money, I just went out and bought Catan and Ticket to Ride. Also, Betrayal at the House on the Hill will be with me tomorrow.

I've only had the chance to play Catan so far, and all I can say is...

so good

when you get betrayal keep an eye on the tiles. there is a known issue with them warping. i just got betrayal a couple weeks ago and the tiles already are pretty warped, i emailed wizards and at some point they are going to send out replacement tiles.

Octobot on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Picked up Resident Evil (which came with the promo Chris & Jill characters) and Exodus tonight.

RE's fairly nifty, although the person I was playing with had incredibly hideous luck.

He got killed twice as Wesker by that damn chain-gun infected. (The one that does more damage the more ammo you have.) O_o Was like five damage short of actually killing it both times, too.

What I wouldn't give for a cleaner rulebook, though. Felt like it was just slapped together.

Jill *did* get her hands on a rocket launcher, though. :D KABOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Pet Peeves: Didn't come with a way to track your health or killXPpointthings, though. I'm assuming that you just keep the card from the Infected you kill, since it doesn't say either way in the rulebook, and that you'll just track health on a scratchpad.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Pet Peeves: Didn't come with a way to track your health or killXPpointthings, though. I'm assuming that you just keep the card from the Infected you kill, since it doesn't say either way in the rulebook, and that you'll just track health on a scratchpad.

Yeah, you attach the defeated Infected to your character. As for HP, we use dice or scratch paper.

EDIT: Here's the latest FAQ

FAQ

Neurotika on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know it's all I've been talking about lately, but I'm excited about Race for the Galaxy, what can I say.

I talked to the person in my gaming group with the most experience regarding board games, and he said he has a friend who always plays RttG with the same setup, bar none: 3 players, the first expansion, plays to get a planet (no matter the cost) every turn and force the game to be over in 5-8 rounds if possible. He won't play with more players or with the takeover rules. He always plays settle or develop.

How do you beat a strategy like that? I don't know the game well enough to know how to counter it, as he's relying on others to play the rounds he doesn't need. I doubt I'll be playing against this guy directly, but it just has been boggling my mind.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited January 2011
    Athenor wrote: »
    I know it's all I've been talking about lately, but I'm excited about Race for the Galaxy, what can I say.

I talked to the person in my gaming group with the most experience regarding board games, and he said he has a friend who always plays RttG with the same setup, bar none: 3 players, the first expansion, plays to get a planet (no matter the cost) every turn and force the game to be over in 5-8 rounds if possible. He won't play with more players or with the takeover rules. He always plays settle or develop.

How do you beat a strategy like that? I don't know the game well enough to know how to counter it, as he's relying on others to play the rounds he doesn't need. I doubt I'll be playing against this guy directly, but it just has been boggling my mind.

Don't explore, get all your cards from trading.

As you sit down at the table, shake the hand of the 3rd player, explain the problem players tactics and get him to agree not to explore either. That's no more meta-gamey than what the problem player is doing.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You beat the strategy by not playing with douches.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not understanding how a strategy that lets everyone know you will choose one of 2 roles, instead of one of 7 roles, does anything other than to hurt you, by giving your enemies an easier time of predicting you.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    got to play bang the bullet a few times this night. Great stuff, definitely grabbing that when I get back home for when we're over 5 people again.

Alegis on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dracil wrote: »
    It is definitely very possible to burn out on Dominion. I did that with Androminion. I'm recovering with Angry Birds.

Also, if anyone wants to try out some online Yomi, shoot me a PM or something.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel bad saying it, because Dominion is a great game and I loved it. But the real point of my post is to warn people of the dangers of overplaying Dominion. If you love this game, stick to 5 games a week maximum. More than this and you may never want to play it again.

Now, I won't ever refuse to play the game if others want to play. I just will never offer to play it. I traded away my expansions and still have the base game. I mainly kept it because my fiance doesn't like games much, but she does enjoy Dominion, even though she hasn't played in months.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel bad saying it, because Dominion is a great game and I loved it. But the real point of my post is to warn people of the dangers of overplaying Dominion. If you love this game, stick to 5 games a week maximum. More than this and you may never want to play it again.
    Depends on how many games (any and all games) you play per week. Depending on how many people play and what card selection you use, 5 games of Dominon could be over in an hour. I'd say that if you don't play Dominion more than everything else combined (time spent, not number of games finished), you'll be ok. That's probably a decent rule of thumb in general, not just for Dominion either.

brain operator on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Trynant wrote: »
    I played Power Grid for the first time yesterday with two friends. We liked it so much we played two more games after the first.

First two games my friend ended up winning. He viewed the game almost as a math problem and highlight how much of an advantage being able to crunch numbers is in the game. Also, from reviews of the game and talk about it I gathered that being in first place can be really bad, but if you're far enough ahead of other players the money you accumulate outweighs the disadvantage of buying resources and building last.

Third game I won once I realized how important positioning can be. The other players picked areas in the side and I just went in the middle, cutting both of them off and snagging a lot of cities in the process (note: cities that have no connection cost between them usually are bad places to start out in because they always have expensive connection costs everywhere else). I won at the end because I managed to get one person to spend almost three times as much money as was originally needed to get the most expensive power plant in the game, costing him some very important cities and letting me take lead.

In short, awesome game. I don't think I've played a game where the people playing liked it enough to play twice in a row followed by a third time in the same day. I think it's right below Puerto Rico as far as my favorite eurogames go. Very little luck involved, though sometimes which power plant is drawn next suddenly changes the game a good deal.

I have never won a game of Power Grid, but I've played it about eight times, every time willingly. That has to count for something, right?

DarkPrimus on
  • NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I only have the base set so maybe the expansion changes things but I think the better question is how do you lose to a strategy like that.

You know he's choosing settle or develop so try to keep a planet and development you can afford in hand. He isn't picking trade $ so he will have significantly less card variety leading to less synergy in his cards, have to put out cheaper less vp worth cards while at best being slightly ahead on the number of cards bought(and possibly behind). He isn't picking produce or Consume *2 so he will have significantly less vp chits than everyone else.

The only way I can see his strat not completely sucking is if the people he plays with are doing the trade $ rule wrong and letting him trade a good for cards when someone else picks the role. If the rules are being properly played that guy should get smoked almost every game (due to the random nature of the game he could possibly win once in awhile).

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We played a few games of Ravenloft yesterday, and really enjoyed it. The only real complaint we have is that traps seem way, way powerful, and the rules could do with some clarifications. I spent a while looking yesterday, but didn't spot any. Are there any places to check that I might have overlooked?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kay wrote: »
    We played a few games of Ravenloft yesterday, and really enjoyed it. The only real complaint we have is that traps seem way, way powerful, and the rules could do with some clarifications. I spent a while looking yesterday, but didn't spot any. Are there any places to check that I might have overlooked?

Well, the BGG rules forum is always good. There's an unofficial FAQ that has been spawned from there.

Darian on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, the rulebook is kind of awful.

Remember that traps work like monsters, so they only fire on one player's turn. So it's fairly easy to get out of their way.

antherem on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Newblar wrote: »

I only have the base set so maybe the expansion changes things but I think the better question is how do you lose to a strategy like that.

You know he's choosing settle or develop so try to keep a planet and development you can afford in hand. He isn't picking trade $ so he will have significantly less card variety leading to less synergy in his cards, have to put out cheaper less vp worth cards while at best being slightly ahead on the number of cards bought(and possibly behind). He isn't picking produce or Consume *2 so he will have significantly less vp chits than everyone else.

The only way I can see his strat not completely sucking is if the people he plays with are doing the trade $ rule wrong and letting him trade a good for cards when someone else picks the role. If the rules are being properly played that guy should get smoked almost every game (due to the random nature of the game he could possibly win once in awhile).

The goal seems to be "hit the card limit and win while other people are trying to get the cards to put together a VP strategy in the first few rounds". But I'm not sure how he could possibly have the cards to pull it off unless they're playing trade wrong. I mean, unless he's playing primarily military conquest on his settle phases (which would require a hell of a lot of luck), he'd run out of cards to spend pretty quickly.

Ignoring planets/developments that give him a +draw and assuming one of the other two players plays Explore every round, he'd have a total of 9 cards pass through his hand by round 5, so even if he played them for free he couldn't win that quickly. By round 8 he'd have had up to 12 cards from every-round Explores, but he still couldn't have a Settle/Develop every round unless he was getting them for free. Or is extremely lucky with his draws in consistently getting +draw and military conquests he can beat the value of.

Any strategy focusing on getting VP from trade or synergy should be able to beat the pants off of a 'get to 12 cards first' strategy.

Edit: I neglected the cards for every-turn Settling. If he actually managed to drop a planet every round that'd give him 14 cards passing through his hand by round 5 or 20 by round 8, but he'd still have to be extremely lucky to pull that off consistently without running himself out of cards or with a hand-full of 5+ cost cards.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Darian, I'll go check those places out!
    antherem wrote: »

Yeah, the rulebook is kind of awful.

Remember that traps work like monsters, so they only fire on one player's turn. So it's fairly easy to get out of their way.

Yeah, we were running traps that way. Something that targets everyone on the tile for like, 3 damage, 1 on a miss is frightening, though.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've recently played Power Grid and I've quite enjoyed it. Although admittedly it was mostly the way the resource market changes and develops, that fascinated me. Are there any other games out there, that cover that aspect as well?

While Power Grid was fun, it felt a little too dry and number-crunchy to become a new favourite of mine. But I am kind of hungry for a game about market simulation.

Joe Dizzy on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Exodus get, all the cards are sleeved, and I'd be playing if I didn't have raiding the next 2 days.

A FAQ will need to come out really soon, however. a lot of the game changes between base and pegasus, and as I don't really want to go back I want to just mix everything in.

I hope a variant comes out that mixes the Cylon Fleet and the Cylon Attack cards. After all, I'm going to miss Scar.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Great, Exodus comes out, an insane expansion for my favorite boardgame and I don't have anyone to play it with( and I got civ for christmas, no one for that either!). My regular group burnt out on games around 2 or 3 months ago, and the LFGS in that town just has magic kids, who I've grown to hate because their duffel bags full of cards take up precious boardgame space.

Moving in about a month, you can guess wherever I'm moving too will have a LFGS. Anyone in Lexginton/Louisville kentucky parts on this board? Please shout me out if you are!

Gene Parmesan on
    edited January 2011
    Depends on how many games (any and all games) you play per week. Depending on how many people play and what card selection you use, 5 games of Dominon could be over in an hour. I'd say that if you don't play Dominion more than everything else combined (time spent, not number of games finished), you'll be ok. That's probably a decent rule of thumb in general, not just for Dominion either.

I dunno... when I'm doing 20 games an hour, doesn't matter that each game of civ takes 4 hours in comparison. :p

Dracil on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so my parents have gotten themselves some moutainside property as a vacation spot. My mother, noting my hobbies, desired some board games to take up there. Let me start that my mom has only been exposed to mainstream board games, so let me list what I am looking for.

-Simple to learn. My parents are both in their 50s, and while they're not senile or anything, I know my mom can easily get overhwhelmed.
    -Around 3-6 players. My parents want to have Christmases here in the future, but not huge parties. Two player is a plus, but not necessary.
    -Not too reliant on expansions. Expansion that just include "more" are fine, but I don't want to confuse them with more rules. Small World has a lot of expansions good for this (more races and powers), whereas Battlestar Galactica has loads of new mechanics and rules with each expansion.
    -Somewhat clean. Chaos in the Old World would probably be too freaky, whereas Last Night on Earth probably isn't too bad. Doesn't have to be kid friendly, but these are my parents so yeah.

Obvious games include Dominion, Carcassonne, Catan and I think a co-op game like Pandemic would be a great idea. My dad would love Diplomacy, but I'd rather not have my parents divorce over a broken alliance.

I'd like a nice stockpile of games to cover a decent range of varieties so nobody gets bored.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Citadels sounds perfect for them, and Forbidden Island is basically pandemic but much simpler and faster.

Gene Parmesan on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    I've recently played Power Grid and I've quite enjoyed it. Although admittedly it was mostly the way the resource market changes and develops, that fascinated me. Are there any other games out there, that cover that aspect as well?

While Power Grid was fun, it felt a little too dry and number-crunchy to become a new favourite of mine. But I am kind of hungry for a game about market simulation.

I'd recommend looking at Plant Steam. The market simulation in that game is brutal, but fun. I'd link it, but I'm on my droid.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I'm a tad annoyed, because I'm due to make a few local purchases to support the store, and yet they have nothing but expansions.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2011
    Crokinole, though it only goes up to 4.

Dracil on
    edited January 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    -Simple to learn. My parents are both in their 50s, and while they're not senile or anything, I know my mom can easily get overhwhelmed.
    -Around 3-6 players. My parents want to have Christmases here in the future, but not huge parties. Two player is a plus, but not necessary.
    -Not too reliant on expansions. Expansion that just include "more" are fine, but I don't want to confuse them with more rules. Small World has a lot of expansions good for this (more races and powers), whereas Battlestar Galactica has loads of new mechanics and rules with each expansion.
    -Somewhat clean. Chaos in the Old World would probably be too freaky, whereas Last Night on Earth probably isn't too bad. Doesn't have to be kid friendly, but these are my parents so yeah.

You have described Ticket To Ride, although it only goes up to five.

Alistair Hutton on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Red Dragon Inn is a great game for simple fun times, and Red Dragon Inn 2 is really just more characters and drink cards - they work separately or together, no new rules needed.

DarkPrimus on
    edited January 2011
    I'd like a nice stockpile of games to cover a decent range of varieties so nobody gets bored.
    Dixit
    Hey! That's My Fish! & Samurai (the Knizia game) & Keltis, although they only go up to 4 players
    Notre Dame
    Small World

Bootleggers is pretty good for 6 too.

brain operator on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know you said no expansions, but Carcassonne + expansions is a good choice. The base game is REALLY simple, and the expansions tend to add rules that can be explained in a sentence.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2011
    I'd recommend looking at Plant Steam. The market simulation in that game is brutal, but fun. I'd link it, but I'm on my droid.
    Planet Steam. To avoid confusion. ;-)

brain operator on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Kingsburg would be pretty good. Simple, but quite a few strategies.
    Jamaica is also easy to learn and simple while providing a lot of fun to everyone at the table. 3-6 that scales well and a 2 player variant that is actually pretty good.
    Incan Gold is a tiny game that packs a lot of fun. Especially when everyone at the table has had a bit to drink.
    I'd also probably recommend a party game like say anything.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so my parents have gotten themselves some moutainside property as a vacation spot. My mother, noting my hobbies, desired some board games to take up there. Let me start that my mom has only been exposed to mainstream board games, so let me list what I am looking for.

Obvious games include Dominion, Carcassonne, Catan and I think a co-op game like Pandemic would be a great idea. My dad would love Diplomacy, but I'd rather not have my parents divorce over a broken alliance.

The stuff other people have said and...

Bohnanza
    Guillotine
    Mare Nostrum (the expansion takes it up to 6 players, I believe)
    Agricola has a ridiculous rulebook, but if you learn the game and then teach it to them it's not as bad as it looks

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Set.

antherem on
This discussion has been closed.