As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SECRET SUPERMANS 2010 - Give freely of your heart

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i havn't recieved mine and it doesn't appear that my gift has arrived with it's intended reciever yet either.

Solar on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think my last one will be appearing any day now.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know why its taking so long Santee but Amazon are saying the books will be with you by January 17th.

Which is appalling considering I sent them well before Christmas

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You should let them know, so long as they are not backordered, Amazon is usually pretty good about that stuff. At least they'll issue you some shipping credit for expedited service.

cardboard delusions on
    edited January 2011
    Amazon says mine should have been delivered by now

It says they should have been there by December the 16th

What the hell

Solar on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here are pics of my bounty, as promised:

Everything plus a handwritten letter from Delduwath
    20101228193405735.jpg

Atomic Robo Vols. 1 and 2
    20101228193434494.jpg

Phonogram: The Singles Club and Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite
    2010122819344426.jpg

Won Ton Soup Vol. 1
    20101228193454944.jpg

Thanks again, Delduwath. I enjoyed reading all of the books you sent. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Glad to hear it! I'm particularly curious what you thought about Won Ton Soup.

Also, after I finished Phonogram: The Singles Club, I spent several days listening to nothing but the Pipettes' "Pull Shapes" on a loop. Except for that one night where I stayed up until 3am, listening to Los Campesinos!. Fucking Kieron Gillen and his fucking writing about fucking music.

Delduwath on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as you don't start insisting on being called Mister Logos.

Wildcat on
    edited January 2011
    Don't think I haven't considered it.

Delduwath on
    edited January 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Glad to hear it! I'm particularly curious what you thought about Won Ton Soup.

Also, after I finished Phonogram: The Singles Club, I spent several days listening to nothing but the Pipettes' "Pull Shapes" on a loop. Except for that one night where I stayed up until 3am, listening to Los Campesinos!. Fucking Kieron Gillen and his fucking writing about fucking music.

Won Ton Soup was the best thing out of the bunch. It's everything I used to like about manga minus Japanese cultural references that I don't care about.

For Phonogram, it's an interesting story, but I'm not really a huge music fan, so most of the references were lost on me. I liked it better for the character study aspect. I think I'll read Rue Brittania at some point, but I'm not sure if the series is really for me.

Atomic Robo was just fun and clever, and it had me laughing. It needs to be a Saturday morning cartoon.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited January 2011
    Don't think I haven't considered it.

Whatevs, Lloyd.

Wildcat on
    edited January 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Won Ton Soup was the best thing out of the bunch. It's everything I used to like about manga minus Japanese cultural references that I don't care about.

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a great book when I saw in the preview that there was a type of food that killed the chef if it detected that it wasn't being prepared optimally.

Unfortunately, I thought that volume 2 wasn't as strong as the first one.
    For Phonogram, it's an interesting story, but I'm not really a huge music fan, so most of the references were lost on me. I liked it better for the character study aspect. I think I'll read Rue Brittania at some point, but I'm not sure if the series is really for me.

For me, music was just like a variable. It could have been anything. The important thing wasn't the music, but its effect on the characters. The aforementioned Mr. Logos, right? It doesn't really matter that he was writing these theses on music, and that he was kinda snapped out of his overly-intellectual reverie by some fun other music; what's important is that he's a young man who has a very serious approach to a thing, and then an older, wiser person tells him to kinda take it easy and check out this one other thing. I didn't get any of the music references at all, but I felt like I didn't need to - it could have been about movies, or 19th century theater, or pastries. The passion of the characters was something I could relate to, without having to share the subject of the passion.

Rue Britannia, on the other hand, I had a much harder time with. I still enjoyed it, but I feel like I was at a greater disadvantage from not knowing anything about the music he was describing.

Delduwath on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, in terms of plain character development and exploration, Singles Club was really quite good. I'd read a follow up to the story that maybe backed off the music nerdiness a bit and put them into a different scenario. Oh, and showed more phonomancery.

wwtMask on
    edited January 2011
    Yay, that's my gift ordered. Should be sent out around Wednesday of this week to arrive at the end of the week / start of next week.

Wildcat on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rue Britannia is definitely a little harder to get without knowing the reference/culture. But I imagine it's the same as picking up superhero comics for the first time. I did a little research, picked up on cues, and wrapped my head around it in an enjoyable way.

Lux on
    edited January 2011
    To my Santee: expect a package today. A much smaller package will arrive a few days later.

Wildcat on
    edited January 2011
    Well I got a package today from my loyal sidekick Scout, who saw fit to deliver me a set of presents fit for a King!

Pics will come later (when I can find the damn camera) but for now let me say thank you very much!

Also to my own Santee I don't know if you have recieved your first two books yet but there was a problem with the second package, and a couple more are currently winging their way to you (I hope!) Sorry about any delays but Amazon seem to have failed me at the msot inopportune time (either that or the Void is messing with us again! Come, Watchdog, we are humanities only hope!)

Solar on
    edited January 2011
    Solar, did you get your second package by any chance?

Wildcat on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BEHOLD!
    After a bout of what can only be called semi-homelessness and a computer that actually burst into flames, I have returned! My Super-Santee should be getting their fairly belated gift (apologies) in the next few days!

I recieved my fantastic gifts shortly after New Years! The first two volumes of Guardians of the Galaxy and the first book of the original Annihilation. I've already borrowed my friends Vol 3 of GotG and ordered Vol 3 & 4 at my LCS. I only have the name on the amazon slip thing to go by so I have no idea who my Secret Supes was, but I thank thee.

God bless DnA and bless my Secret Superman!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    BEHOLD!
    After a bout of what can only be called semi-homelessness and a computer that actually burst into flames, I have returned! My Super-Santee should be getting their fairly belated gift (apologies) in the next few days!

I recieved my fantastic gifts shortly after New Years! The first two volumes of Guardians of the Galaxy and the first book of the original Annihilation. I've already borrowed my friends Vol 3 of GotG and ordered Vol 3 & 4 at my LCS. I only have the name on the amazon slip thing to go by so I have no idea who my Secret Supes was, but I thank thee.

Glad you liked them sir.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Solar, did you get your second package by any chance?

I believe it arrived at my home in Sheffield, where I was over christmas, and that my Dad has now sent it to me. Blue Beetle right? I'm really looking forward to reading it!

Solar on
    edited January 2011
    BigDes wrote: »
    Gank wrote: »
    BEHOLD!

Glad you liked them sir.

I had read a few sporadic issues of GotG before, but never had the chance to read them condensed. That shit reads like a dream. Thanks again there BigDes.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Well I got a package today from my loyal sidekick Scout, who saw fit to deliver me a set of presents fit for a King!

Pics will come later (when I can find the damn camera) but for now let me say thank you very much!

Also to my own Santee I don't know if you have recieved your first two books yet but there was a problem with the second package, and a couple more are currently winging their way to you (I hope!) Sorry about any delays but Amazon seem to have failed me at the msot inopportune time (either that or the Void is messing with us again! Come, Watchdog, we are humanities only hope!)

Well as Solar is too busy to MAEK PICTAR :P I will list what I got him:

Dynamo 5 Volume 1: Post-Nuclear Family

Blue Beetle Vol 2: Road Trip

Brit Vol 1: Old Soldier

Hellboy Vol 3: The Chained Coffin & Others

Kingdom Come

Justice League International Vol 1

Wonton Soup

I wanted to go for a mix of DC properties that I think he'd like plus some more indie or at least non-Big-Two books that may not have caught his eye. I had hoped to go for Skullkickers or Daytrippers but of course their TPBs aren't out yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing what my own Santa has bought for me, of course!

Wildcat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wildcat are you the only one left to get their gifts?

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    I have no camera right now Wildcat!

Forgive me

It was a really great selection though buddy and I love it. Thanks bro!

Also my present recipient has not posted that he has recieved his gifts. I hope there hasn't been a mistake, but amazon has taken my money and assured me that they have been sent, and i havn't recieved a message from Secret Superman saying otherwise, so I hope they have turned up.

Solar on
  • Secret SupermanSecret Superman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have not received any word from your recipient, Solar, so I'm not sure what the status is. I will investigate as best I can.

When I get home from work (work is Daily Planet), I will go over my records to see if anyone appears to be left giftless (Wildcat, I will contact your Secret Santa as well).

Secret Superman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to guess that Solar is my Superman.

Basically what is going Solar is that our postman was arrested last week for stealing like all of the mail he got over the christmas period. So I assume that one of the many Amazon boxes in his house is one of mine.

So yeah Solar I do have the package kind of but it will take me a few weeks to get it back while they sort it all out.

Thank you anyway buddy, sorry for not keeping you all informed about it, slipped my mind

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Wow, your postman is an actual real-life super-villain.

Delduwath on
    edited January 2011
    He's a robbing bastard who's made me pay two bills late is what he is.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Wow dude

Well hopefully it will be a nice late present then!

Solar on
    edited January 2011

I wasn't being sarcastic. I meant that stealing what are almost certainly Christmas presents is some heinous, villain shit.

Delduwath on
    edited January 2011

I wasn't being sarcastic. I meant that stealing what are almost certainly Christmas presents is some heinous, villain shit.

Sorry I wasn't snarking at you.

I'm just incredibly angry with this guy.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Yikes Des, that's such a scummy thing to do. I really wish they had a better vetting procedure for some of these people.

Edit: I heard I got a package today and was all excited in case it was my Santa present. Sadly it wasn't, but it was my Tron Legacy Special Edition soundtrack from France so that eased the pain with mellow electronica. 8-)

Wildcat on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    oh hey it got there pretty fast. hope you like everything

the Spider-Man DS game is super fun but kind of short. it's a thousand times better than the console one though

just beat the game the other day it was a lot of fun but that fucking warp mini-game can go to hell:evil:
    still it was a great game and spidey really gets over powered latter in the game I beat electro(the second to last boss) super quick and never got hit.

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Secret SupermanSecret Superman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My dear friends, I have combed this thread to determine everyone's gift status. As far as I can determine, the only people whose gifts have not yet arrived are BigDes and Wildcat.

Wildcat's Secret Superman posted (and independently PMed me) that he sent out the gift recently. So, hopefully, it'll arrive soon.

BigDes just explained to us what the likely hold-up is with that; best of luck, my good man! I hope it ends well for you.

BigDes, Wildcat: if - for some reason - the packages meant for you guys do not end up in your hands, and you end up giftless, I assure you that you will be provided for in some other way. I'll see to it myself.

Let me just add that going through this thread and seeing everyone giving excellent gifts to others, and receiving excellent gifts themselves, made my heart swell with joy. You're all supremely awesome, my friends, and I am glad that when I take off my cape and put on my glasses, I am numbered among you.

Secret Superman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    grim123 wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    oh hey it got there pretty fast. hope you like everything

the Spider-Man DS game is super fun but kind of short. it's a thousand times better than the console one though

just beat the game the other day it was a lot of fun but that fucking warp mini-game can go to hell:evil:
    still it was a great game and spidey really gets over powered latter in the game I beat electro(the second to last boss) super quick and never got hit.

yeah that warp mini-game was completely unnecessary

glad you liked it!

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2011
    I have received stuff! :D

Many months ago I picked up an issue of Locke and Key; it was intriguing but I had no clue what was going on so I didn't continue with it. Little did I know it was all part of an ongoing story and now my Santa has provided me with its beginning!

file_52.jpg

file_1_30.jpg

That's the hardcover of Welcome to Lovecraft and the TPB of Head Games, both of which I shall enjoy greatly. Many thanks, Santa!

Wildcat on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    it

is

so

good

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2011
    Finally! Curse the australian postal service! But yeah, your welcome there Wildcat! And thanks as always to Keith for the original recommend.

Locke and Key has got to be my favourite ongoing at the moment even though it only comes out every two months.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Solar is awesome.

He got me

Daredevil: The devil. Inside and Out
    Moonknight: The Bottom
    Captain Britain and MI13: secret Invasion and the first JMS Thor trade.

Awesome duder, thank you so much for these.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png