As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I don't wanna [CHAT] I wanna tank LFD all day.

• Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Halfmex wrote: »
    The Claws of Agony/Torment from (whichever raid they drop) are so very cool looking.
    Too bad no one would ever use them

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mutilate wrote: »
    I have not seen a lot of real world pvp on any server I have leveld on since Vanilla. I also do not initiate it so that has something to do with it I am sure.

There is your problem, you gotta have the motto "if its red its dead"

I attack any alliance I ever see on site immediately.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CasedOut wrote: »
    I have not seen a lot of real world pvp on any server I have leveld on since Vanilla. I also do not initiate it so that has something to do with it I am sure.

Meh. When I quest I just want to get in and out and keep moving. World PVP is an interuption to my flow so I don't seek it out. If I want to PVP I just queue for BG's.

Mutilate on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm confused.
    All eight of the Engineering discoveries are now able to be learned through crafting the Overpowered Chicken Splitter at max-level Engineering.

Does this mean the only way for me to get my missing Tinker is to craft something that costs 6k in mats?

Or is it one of the ways?

JustinSane07 on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Meh. When I quest I just want to get in and out and keep moving. World PVP is an interuption to my flow so I don't seek it out. If I want to PVP I just queue for BG's.

Then why bother being on a pvp server lol? Also you cant complain about never seeing world pvp if you dont initiate it when given the chance.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
    edited January 2011

Then why bother being on a pvp server lol? Also you cant complain about never seeing world pvp if you dont initiate it when given the chance.

I have just always rolled on PVP servers since that's where my friends rolled. Really PVP and PVE servers are not that far removed frome each other anymore. Hhonest to goodness real open world PVP is dead and it's by Blizzard's own design. Also I was not the one complaining about lack of PVP on a PVP server. I was just replying to SkyCaptain ;)

Mutilate on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    noobert wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I dislike guilds that have an age-requirement.

Was looking at this guild that a lot of people I played with in Wrath went to on horde side and you have to be 21 to apply.

Because being able to drink means you're mature...

I mean I understand that they don't people that have other obligations, but I still find it silly.

You could just say you're 21.

I'd imagine the age requirement is tentative. I know we make exceptions for good players but if they don't keep their disgusting teenage pig attitudes to a minimum then we kick them. If they act like a normal human being, they're fine.

Examples of stupid teenage behavior:

"A girl in vent? No way! You're hot"
    "*duel invite**duel invite**duel invite**duel invite* come on why won't anyone duel me??"
    "Can I have pictures of you naked?"
    "Girls can't play wow"
    "this person is a (derogatory term)"
    3 weeks of "olol I disabled the traps.... NOPE! HAHAHAHA"
    "*Ding*I'm level 2! *Ding* I'm level 3! *Ding* I'm level 4!"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »

Was looking at this guild that a lot of people I played with in Wrath went to on horde side and you have to be 21 to apply.

I mean I understand that they don't people that have other obligations, but I still find it silly.

I'd imagine the age requirement is tentative. I know we make exceptions for good players but if they don't keep their disgusting teenage pig attitudes to a minimum then we kick them. If they act like a normal human being, they're fine.

"*duel invite**duel invite**duel invite**duel invite* come on why won't anyone duel me??"
    "Girls can't play wow"

We don't have an age requirement to enter our guild, but we are very cautious of people who are under 18 years old. We've been pleasantly surprised once by a 14 year old.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

"Girls can't play wow"

Or the ever so fun whisper of "Do you not like me anymore? You never talk to me now. No one talks to me now. Does the whole guild hate me?" We're QUESTING you goose!

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

"Girls can't play wow"

....I'm 26.

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2011
    At least you didn't admit to being that rogue. Fuck that dude.

Finally after about 3 weeks of reporting his name pretty much everytime he changed it he finally picked one that I couldn't report.

Still not sure why they gave him 8 name changes.

Meatspankie->ChickenChoker->Bonemachine->Meatspankie->ChickenChoker->Tossursalad->Meatspankie->Backstabs

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

"Girls can't play wow"

....I'm 26.

Our female rogue loves to troll with the 'Girls can't play WoW' line.

LockeCole on
    edited January 2011
    At least you didn't admit to being that rogue. Fuck that dude.

Finally after about 3 weeks of reporting his name pretty much everytime he changed it he finally picked one that I couldn't report.

Still not sure why they gave him 8 name changes.

Meatspankie->ChickenChoker->Bonemachine->Meatspankie->ChickenChoker->Tossursalad->Meatspankie->Backstabs

One would think that if you are forced to change your name because it violates the naming policy then one would not be able to then turn around and use the same name again later. Then again one does not necessarily think they way Blizzard thinks...

Mutilate on
    edited January 2011
    You'd think so. But blizzard is pretty dumb so, there's that.

bowen on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »

"Girls can't play wow"

Or the ever so fun whisper of "Do you not like me anymore? You never talk to me now. No one talks to me now. Does the whole guild hate me?" We're QUESTING you goose!

The best are the dps who log, and get in a huff because you decided to go off and do something instead of waiting for them to come online

Apparent unacceptable reasons for not doing a heroic with them include;

a) it's just gone 1am, and I'm off to bed
    b) I've only just got into a BG, after having waited 20 mins to get into one
    c) I'm in a heroic already

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's probably more efficient for them to just stick to reviewing reports than to check up on ones that they have already changed.

belligerent on
    edited January 2011
    A question to the tanks here. Did anyone notice anything odd about their taunting yesterday? Our tanks had some issues in BoT on Halfus last night and they were both swearing up and down that taunt was simply "not working".

Mutilate on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Given the gravity of managing a game and community of this magnitude and keeping it successful, I expect that enforcement of the naming policy is pretty low on everyone's priorities.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    *snip*
    The best are the dps who log, and get in a huff because you decided to go off and do something instead of waiting for them to come online

Apparent unacceptable reasons for not doing a heroic with them include;

a) it's just gone 1am, and I'm off to bed
    b) I've only just got into a BG, after having waited 20 mins to get into one
    c) I'm in a heroic already

We've got one in our guild that I have volunteered to either kick, or at least tell her why she never gets invited.
    level 85, she somehow has good enough gear to get into heroics, but is only doing 1.8k damage.
    I wish I were kidding.
    She's also the same person that got a kingslayer title even though she never...NEVER tried to move out of defile. We were bored one night post 4.0 and dragged her through it just praying she never got picked for it.

ImthebOHGODBEES on
    Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
    edited January 2011
    DVG wrote: »

Given the gravity of managing a game and community of this magnitude and keeping it successful, I expect that enforcement of the naming policy is pretty low on everyone's priorities.

I would have figured it would simply be something like if the name is reported and needs to be changed it is added to the global list of unusable names.

Mutilate on
    edited January 2011
    A question to the tanks here. Did anyone notice anything odd about their taunting yesterday? Our tanks had some issues in BoT on Halfus last night and they were both swearing up and down that taunt was simply "not working".

If both tanks were taunting the same mob repeatedly, after 3 taunts it will stop working, due to diminishing returns.

Or if you have DPS that are attacking a mob halfway across the room from a tank, and not even pausing in their button mashing long enough to let the tank even get a hit in on the mob after the taunt so they may as well not have taunted in the first place because yep there it goes you pulled aggro again and now you're going to die and it's no ones fault but your own you stupid squishy peice of... wait what was I talking about again?

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How is that possible? Shouldn't autoattack be more than that?

jackal on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dear Shamans, check your spellbook for bind elemental. Yes, you can bind and hex two things at the same time (even you enhance shaman). Resto shamans - your hit rate sucks, cc what/when you can - love you guys.
    Dear Warlocks, your glyphed fear is an amazing CC. Pleeeease use fear glyph!!!
    Dear Hunters, I will assume that you're a drooling idiot until proven otherwise. Use mark to lead assist trains. Frost trap is awesome...please use it.
    Dear Rogues, most rogues I've played with have been awesome this xpac. Sap/blind/kick etc...great job guys! Carry on =)

sim on
    edited January 2011

If both tanks were taunting the same mob repeatedly, after 3 taunts it will stop working, due to diminishing returns.

Or if you have DPS that are attacking a mob halfway across the room from a tank, and not even pausing in their button mashing long enough to let the tank even get a hit in on the mob after the taunt so they may as well not have taunted in the first place because yep there it goes you pulled aggro again and now you're going to die and it's no ones fault but your own you stupid squishy peice of... wait what was I talking about again?

It was the taunting back and forth between the drakes and Halfus. It was happening pretty rapidly like around 8 stacks of the mortal strike debuff. The 3 taunt rule, is that on a cooldown or anything like that? I have never heard about that before.

Mutilate on
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I'm finally hit capped on my enhancement shaman, I'm still 1 point away from expertise I need to get a perfect jem, or buck up and buy blue quality one I guess. I had to reforge all of my gear for hit and expertise, but hopefully it will be worth it. 17% to his with spells is though to get to without spirit.

I'm not sure why I went through all of the trouble to do it though, I will probably only ever raid as resto, but at least I have the option to switch if I need to.

And yeah I bind and hex all the time. I hate doing it as resto mainly because hex loves to break at the most inopportune time, but I hex none the less. Bind Elemental is pretty boss though, it makes so many instances that much easier.

RedDawn on
    edited January 2011
    DVG wrote: »

I would have figured it would simply be something like if the name is reported and needs to be changed it is added to the global list of unusable names.

That's how I would do it as a programmer.

bowen on
    edited January 2011

It was the taunting back and forth between the drakes and Halfus. It was happening pretty rapidly like around 8 stacks of the mortal strike debuff. The 3 taunt rule, is that on a cooldown or anything like that? I have never heard about that before.

It is, but I think they got rid of the DR on taunt back sometime around ulduar because they designed fights to be based with it. For instance the frost wyrms before sindra can be pretty much taunted over and over again. Not sure if this applies to bosses but I'd assume it would.

bowen on
    edited January 2011

I don't know the exact timers on the DR for taunt, it normally isn't an issue though, it's somewhere around 20 seconds. Wait until 25 seconds after the last taunt and you won't be subject to DR.

*edit And I know that taunt DRs were still in effect when I was doing ToC at least, as during the champion fight if I didn't rotate my taunts with my stuns I'd end up with untauntable mobs running lose. Also, I've heard very funny tales about a loose Saurfang caused by a very bad warrior with mocking blow in his rotation.

Decomposey on
  • Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'd say some day you'll understand it.

My guild has been 18+ since 2005 in SWG and hasn't looked back. Two big reasons why: adults like to hang out with other adults, and it cut out 75 to 85 percent of the bullshit drama we had to deal with.

A great post on Reddit the other day showed both of these. A guild officer was wondering what they should do about one of their guild members (in his 20s) overtly flirting and hitting on a girl in the guild known to be 14.

Another example in SWG - i got an email from a teenager's mom who had logged onto his account in game, saw some of the conversations in guild chat and deemed them inappropriate for her teenage son. (Of course the irony here is the kid was the foulest mouthed person in the guild by far).

As a guild leader, I don't want to deal with either of those kinds of situations. I want to be in, and run, a guild where adults can get home from work/college/whatever, hang out on line and have fun without worrying if we're ruins some kids delicate sensibilities.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
    edited January 2011

I have just always rolled on PVP servers since that's where my friends rolled. Really PVP and PVE servers are not that far removed frome each other anymore. Hhonest to goodness real open world PVP is dead and it's by Blizzard's own design. Also I was not the one complaining about lack of PVP on a PVP server. I was just replying to SkyCaptain ;)

Really at this point the entire notion of pvp servers is dumb. This coming from a guy who in vanilla never would have even considered a pve server.

The majority of the pvp servers out there have one faction or the other vastly outnumbering their opposition. And even then the vast majority of pvp revolves around people ganking lower leveled players they know they can't lose to.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Our guild did Bastion for the first time last night. Managed to get Halfus down to 4%. Sadly the dps just wasn't there - our execution was actually pretty damn good, we just unfortunately hit the enrage timer. I think we'll have no problem downing him Sunday assuming people show up though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited January 2011
    sim wrote: »
    Dear Rogues, most rogues I've played with have been awesome this xpac. Sap/blind/kick etc...great job guys! Carry on =)

I'd have to imagine that's because the few that are left are good players who understand and love being a rogue, versus the crowd of people who rolled rogue because they were one hitting everybody for a few weeks.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't know the exact timers on the DR for taunt, it normally isn't an issue though, it's somewhere around 20 seconds. Wait until 25 seconds after the last taunt and you won't be subject to DR.

*edit And I know that taunt DRs were still in effect when I was doing ToC at least, as during the champion fight if I didn't rotate my taunts with my stuns I'd end up with untauntable mobs running lose. Also, I've heard very funny tales about a loose Saurfang caused by a very bad warrior with mocking blow in his rotation.

I think as a general rule that Taunt DR's are out, unless they specifically program it in for a fight. Or I swear I remember them saying something to that effect.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2011
    so quick question - is anybody else out there having problems finding healers to recruit?

Launched a guild toward the end of wrath, geared up for Cata and IMO we have a great group of PvE and PvP players. But we're being held back right now because we only have a handful of healers and if they're not on we can't do diddly.

And it seems trade chat on our server is full of "guild looking for healers!" "Rated BG team looking for healer!" "heroics looking for healer!"

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
    edited January 2011

I think as a general rule that Taunt DR's are out, unless they specifically program it in for a fight. Or I swear I remember them saying something to that effect.

Tonight I will grab a tank buddy and test DRs, just to see, and report back with my findings.

Decomposey on
    edited January 2011
    sim wrote: »

I'd have to imagine that's because the few that are left are good players who understand and love being a rogue, versus the crowd of people who rolled rogue because they were one hitting everybody for a few weeks.

^ this

I think vanilla was the worst. Rogues were pretty much OP, especially in PvP, so while not everyone rolled a rogue as their main, EVERYONE rolled a rogue as their alt. Since then Blizzard has been doing their best to crush the spirits of all Rogues over the last two expansions. I'm frankly amazed that in Cata we didn't start out sucking complete ass like we usually do.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited January 2011
    Healing requires a lot more thought now a days, couple that with difficult encounters it's no longer "hope I have the gear and heal heal heal" it's more of a triage concept. I don't particularly care for it because of the situation you're in now mnemon, the low amount of healers before has gotten to lower than tank lows I've seen.

I think it's mostly because they didn't really follow through with their "low amounts of damage going out" concept so it feels way more difficult than it needs to be. Quite simply most fights if your tank isn't past 75% of his life he'll get one shot by something. Sure I don't go from 100-25% in one hit anymore, but just because they hit 8 times in a second and a half and do 10% damage per hit doesn't mean it's any better.

tl;dr: healing is a rather difficult role to play anymore

bowen on
    edited January 2011
    so quick question - is anybody else out there having problems finding healers to recruit?

Launched a guild toward the end of wrath, geared up for Cata and IMO we have a great group of PvE and PvP players. But we're being held back right now because we only have a handful of healers and if they're not on we can't do diddly.

And it seems trade chat on our server is full of "guild looking for healers!" "Rated BG team looking for healer!" "heroics looking for healer!"

Healers are kind of becoming the "tanks" of Cata. I know my heroic queue is damn near instant, and even on my WAR alt I tend to spend time waiting around for healers now. Healing is difficult right now and if you don't enjoy it then it can be kind of a suck-fest. The DPS that were healing in Wrath for fast queues are probably not cutting it and have just said eff it.

Mutilate on
    edited January 2011
    We've had a hell of a time getting our healers to want to heal, I know that.

Tanking is still tanking, but healing went from "boring but rewarding job" to "holy fuck what the shit, holy dickballs, what the, I CAN'T HEAL EVERYONE OH GOD STOP TAKING DAMAGE THAT'S AVIODABLE WHY DIDN'T I ROLL PRIEST FOR LIFEGRIP"

bowen on
    edited January 2011

Healers are kind of becoming the "tanks" of Cata. I know my heroic queue is damn near instant, and even on my WAR alt I tend to spend time waiting around for healers now. Healing is difficult right now and if you don't enjoy it then it can be kind of a suck-fest. The DPS that were healing in Wrath for fast queues are probably not cutting it and have just said eff it.

This hasn't been my experience at all. We can queue with a healer but no tank and still get ~15 minute queues. All queues with a tank are instant. Tanks seem to be WAY harder to get for some reason, at least on my server/battlegroup.

Although as a guild we have been lucky and kind of stumbled into a bunch of really pro healers apping recently.

Warlock82 on
This discussion has been closed.