As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assistant Editor's Comic Book Questions Thread

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't mind hearing it.

Also, I suck at End of the Year lists because I can never remember what actually came out this year.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, here's what I had to say about it at another forum.
    ME wrote:
    Holy shit Booster Gold sucked this month. The whole issue was about Booster coming to terms with Ted Kord's death. Which would be fine, had Giffen and DeMatteis not indulged in every tired, cliche meta-textual joke possible.

There's a bit about Booster going on patrol, while Skeets makes fun of him, because the odds of randomly finding a crime in progress are virtually nil. There's a part where a random villain points out that superheroes die and come back all the time, while Booster insists that only happens to super-people, forgetting guys like Green Arrow, Hourman, Peacemaker, or the few dozen other regular guys that have died and come back. Then there's Booster shouting at some guy that, "You think our lives are some.. comic book-- where guys in costumes pound the snot out of each other and nobody gets hurt?"

Does anyone think these kinds of self-aware references are clever? I mean, they might be, were they not true. Booster does live in a comic book world. Superhero patrols are effective and normal within his universe. Normal people do come back to life, all the damn time.

And then it ends with the most schmaltzy, saccharine crap I've seen in years.
    The whole issue is about Booster coming to terms with the fact that Ted is dead, for what feels like the tenth time. Here's the thing: That's bullshit. We all know it's bullshit, and so should Booster. But, Booster has to pretend that his world is like ours, where terrible things have consequences. Giffen and DeMatteis have to snarkily make fun of comic book tropes and genre conventions, while still readily indulging in them. And it causes cognitive dissonance in me, the reader.

Booster Gold is a guy who just spent last issue watching a psychotic superhero hurl his teenage sidekick into Nazi gunfire, and watched said sidekick escape unscathed.

He's a guy who had his arm blown off by a mad supervillain, had his friend that pilots a ship that looks like a big bug build him a new one, and then later had Captain Atom's evil doppleganger regrow his missing arm.

He is, even now, on a team with two people that have died and come back to life. He hangs around with Rip Hunter and his sister, both of whom have also died and come back to life. There was just a huge, world-shattering event where a bunch of dead people were resurrected. He ends this issue with asking for a hug from a little girl that he used time travel to save from certain death.

For me, the last issue of Booster Gold was a perfect example of what's wrong with going, "Dammit guys, this is serious!" Because we all know different, and refusing to acknowledge that only highlights how silly Booster's indignant rage is. And the whole thing shows how joyless Booster's really become as a character.

I think there was a right way to do this story, but it wasn't by having Booster make an angry speech, and then hang out in a graveyard for the better part of an issue. I really hoped that this issue would, in some way, make use of the rest of this arc, and make those issues about something more than Booster just being irritated that he and Ted had the gall to actually enjoy being superheroes at one time.

Like, if this whole arc had been about Booster, now older and wiser, absorbing stuff from Ted, and ultimately coming to the realization that his friend would want him to move on, and maybe lighten up a little? I'd be with it. Instead, it's just more Somber Booster learning that life sucks, and he just needs to deal with that.

Munch on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Best on-going: Thor: Mighty Avenger by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

Apart from that Thanos Imperative has been really great, and I think that's certainly my favourite story all year

Worst issue was RoA #3 because it was just terrible, but the issue I was most dissapointed in was Siege #4 because it was a massive bag of shit which followed three fun comic which set up a good end.

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Justice League: Cry for Justice had Freddy Freeman getting his lips wired shut,

Oh heck, have they changed how his powers work again? Last I saw him he didn't even need to say the word to transform.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just ordered the Gunslinger born for a dark tower fanatic and picked up Long road home for myself and I just noticed that the series has kept going to like 6 or 7 volumes by this point.

How has the quality held up over all this time?

I'm thinking of continuing reading them after I finish reading the 4th book in the series which is the flashback book that these comics all build off of.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I read the first volume, and my friend told me that after that it plummeted into horribleness. But I don't' think he read past the second one either, so maybe they got better?

Langly on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They're all good until Jae Lee got off the book. I think that was the 3rd or 4th one.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Has there been any word on when The Mystery Knight (Dunk and Egg #3) will be coming out in comic format?

Tamin on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Was the Dark Avengers: Ares series out this year? That was the best.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It came out in 2009 (Hensler where did you go)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It came out in 2009 (Hensler where did you go)

Jail.

Hensler on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did you break out?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've heard good things about Unknown Soldier. Where do I begin? Are there trades? Are they still in print? I think there have been several different versions.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The new series is out in trades.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »
    The new series is out in trades.

Should I read the old series before I read the new series?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I never read the old series, but new one makes sense on its own and I loved it.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hensler wrote: »

OK, good. thanks.

Is SHIELD still coming out? Are enough issues out for a trade?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Where's the best place to start with Dark Horse Star Wars Comics? Should I avoid certain titles? And what about the Omnibuses?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Where's the best place to start with Dark Horse Star Wars Comics? Should I avoid certain titles? And what about the Omnibuses?

No idea about the Omnibuses, but I'd start with Knights of the Old Republic or Star Wars Legacy series. Both can be read alone, without having to deal with a ton of continuity. The comics that revolve around the movies are not that good.

Hensler on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hensler wrote: »

OK, good. thanks.

Is SHIELD still coming out? Are enough issues out for a trade?

SHIELD 5 came out last week, so that should cap off at least one trade. I realized I should start getting more trades than singles, especially when they take this long I don't even remember half the story.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SHIELD is actually concluding its first series with #6 in February, and then returning at a later date. So I imagine the first TPB will be out sometime around March or April.

I'm still kind of surprised how well SHIELD has been selling. For a bi-monthly book about the adventures of Leonardo DaVinci in the Marvel Universe, it's been selling really well.

Munch on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a question. What the fuck are fatigue poisons?

I've been reading X-Men wiki entries these past few hours and the term crops up now and again. Are they real? They cannot possibly be real. I'll grant that muscle ache can be caused by lactic acid after anaerobic metabolism, but that's not what actually causes people to get tired.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    I have a question. What the fuck are fatigue poisons?

I've been reading X-Men wiki entries these past few hours and the term crops up now and again. Are they real? They cannot possibly be real. I'll grant that muscle ache can be caused by lactic acid after anaerobic metabolism, but that's not what actually causes people to get tired.

I never heard of this term until you posted this, and a bing search of "fatigue poisons" brings this up:
    As the human body exerts itself, it produces fatigue poisons, mostly as a byproduct of metabolizing glucose. These chemicals build up in the body, eventually causing a feeling of exhaustion. Larger amounts, however, can produce interesting side effects, which is why people who've stayed up late tend to get silly. Eventually the buildup becomes too great and the subject is forced to sleep so the body can focus on the removal of the poisons. Massage may also be helpful.

Interestingly enough, a Google search on the topic yielded quite a bit of information on various comic book characters. The significance of this is unknown.

Sounds like something a 60's writer used and it just stuck for some reason. "Fatigue Poisons X-Men" brings up Wolverine, X-23, Sabertooth, and Quicksilver. I guess it's a way of making fast metabolism even more amazing in terms of abilities?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'm not buying it. That site you linked is user-generated. I wanted corroborating evidence, so I looked through the entry for "exhaustion." What I got was this:
    head-soft, thoughts slow, sinking into warmth floating in the red it's over. too many days, places aren't always hard to find you'll sink if it means rest, for once. pillow stolen away i wasn't paying attention that is what it is like without you. we're all very sorry you can't stay here we'll be happy to help you find your way out but i know how to get out, i know. no one is holding arms across chest, restraint, it's not like that, we love you, we just don't know how to help you anymore. we know what is best for us, we only have you going away in mind. do you understand? of course, of course.. only small things survive this sort of fall, only the smallest.

it is where you are, five days, away from the sky water it's just too cold, it is nightmares and no body to hide beside anymore. it really is scary, really, that's all.. just afraid, these days.

Until I see some scientific papers, I'll file "fatigue poisons" until comic book bullshit. So question answered, I guess. Thanks.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    At the beginning of the Marvel Universe, there existed unstable molecules and fatigue poisons. Only one would be chosen as acceptable scientific mumbo jumbo.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Unstable molecules I'll accept, because the basic building blocks of matter are little understood in real life. Hit them together had enough and all kinds of weird shit spills out. String theory tells us that everything, including energy and space, are all variations on little vibrating strings; and what the fuck are we supposed to make from that?

Unstable molecules are almost understandable in comparison. And it's not like we're talking about normal molecules here. They're unstable, and we cannot expect them to behave like regular matter.

Fatigue poisons, however, I have never heard mentioned in biology class. They just scream bullshit.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think that the idea for "fatigue poisons" come from Lactic Acid, which was once thought to build up in muscles and stop them working properly, though that has been disproven over time.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Goddammit, I want to know why a man who shoots spider webs out of his wrists gets tired, you worthless goddamn waste of space internet.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok legit question - I am going to go ahead and get All Star Superman, never read it but I know I won't be let down. I currently read B&R, but what's the deal with All Star B&R? I know it's starting up again in Feb, but is it a good series? Is it worthwhile from a reading standpoint? I have Batman and Son, Black Glove, and RIP - so if it strays away from these plot lines or isn't a good story let me know.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ok legit question - I am going to go ahead and get All Star Superman, never read it but I know I won't be let down. I currently read B&R, but what's the deal with All Star B&R? I know it's starting up again in Feb, but is it a good series? Is it worthwhile from a reading standpoint? I have Batman and Son, Black Glove, and RIP - so if it strays away from these plot lines or isn't a good story let me know.

20060207whores.png

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

All Star B and R is in the Frank Miller Batman continuity, according to Frank Miller. Year One, DKR, DKSA and ASBR. It is completely ridiculous in both the writing and art department. Batman is a huge psychopathic asshole, all of the females are whores, Jim Lee goes wild with the muscles through clothes and long limbs thing... I didn't care for it. Some people embrace its absurdity and love it post-ironically or something, I don't.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I haven't read A*B&R myself, but I will forever regard it fondly because of that one image of a yellow-clad Batman drinking lemonade in a completely yellow room, giving Green Lantern shit.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

All-Star Batman and Robin is shaping up to be the best Batman story ever told. If the remaining issues are as good as the first ones have been, it will likely be the best comic ever made for all the reasons DouglasDanger listed.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dangit Hensler, this will be good monies I have to spend to find out I wasted aforementioned good monies.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It is completely over the top ridiculous and offensive. If you have no problem with:

Batman calling Dick Grayson retarded
    Batman and Black Canary making out in the rain
    Joker strangling ladies after he sleeps with them
    Robin crushing Green Lantern's trachea

Then buy All Star Batman. There's a trade with 9 issues and there's one more after that that is uncollected.

Futt Bucker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also I agree with Hensler about ASB being the greatest Batman comic ever.

Futt Bucker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I figured I'd get the trade, but then I guess I'll wait and just get All Star Superman for now.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just think of All Star Batman as a prequel to The Dark Knight Returns. If you like the latter book and its sequel, then you'll get a kick out of ASBAR.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dangit Hensler, this will be good monies I have to spend to find out I wasted aforementioned good monies.

Dude, I was completely serious.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Just think of All Star Batman as a prequel to The Dark Knight Returns. If you like the latter book and its sequel, then you'll get a kick out of ASBAR.

I enjoyed DKR and thought DKSA was fun, but with some really iffy art at times. If ASBR was drawn by someone else, or Miller himself, I might feel differently about it.

Did Absolute Planetary volume two come out yet?

DouglasDanger on