As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: Burrowing to the Smurf village.

• ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I shouldn't forget poland.

Sorry for nitpicking, but... the Germans just went through the Netherlands and Belgium to get to France. Going through Poland would be like trying to get to the back of their base by going through the back of yours. :)

Impyrocker on
    1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Sceptre wrote: »
    So I just ran into Ryougi on the ladder!

First time I've ever happened to run into someone I know on it.

I ran into Guek on the ladder once. We both went 3gate DT, but I managed to win :D

and I'll never forget it!

I'll get you one of these days, Dhal! I'LL GET YOOOOOOU~!

Guek on
    edited January 2011
    Oh also, is the CSL on a saturday night? Cause if so I can join, HellfyrE.445, Protoss

Impyrocker on
    1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Impyrocker wrote: »

Sorry for nitpicking, but... the Germans just went through the Netherlands and Belgium to get to France. Going through Poland would be like trying to get to the back of their base by going through the back of yours. :)

yes, but it doesn't make for as good comedic value as repeating a total non-sequitor exclamation by GWB during a debate with Kerry.

(and poland was invaded for its oil fields. gotta run that mech army on something...)

Joe K on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Shakuras Plateau?

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Banelings are a nice answer.

If they build a weak wall and don't spot your nest, it's basically gg.

Though often if they spot the nest suddenly it's a triple-barracks wall, or something like that.

oh i love that, the 3 or 4 deep wall, with 2 bunkers in the middle and some siege tanks.

time for mutas.

Joe K on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh also, is the CSL on a saturday night? Cause if so I can join, HellfyrE.445, Protoss

go sign up on the sign up page found in the OP

Guek on
    edited January 2011
    Oh, my bad, I missed the reference. Alright, so a better example might be taking your nat on jungle basin to attack him. Which reminds me: I have a hilarious replay of a game where I rush a terran, get into his base, discover no units in there, and blow up all his stuff just as his marine force runs into my main from my nat. He then proceeds to fly his base to my nat, and hilarity ensues.

Impyrocker on
    1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Void Rays were quite buffed last time, their initial damage buff make them now quite competent against non-armored units. I used to be able to hold off VR's quite easily with just 2 or 3 Queens, now it's not that easy.

Satsumomo on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    2 or 3 queens will hold off 2 void rays, but up to 3 or 4 you'll realistically need hydras

Dhalphir on
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So this is a replay between me and Olorin from the lobby tonight before b.net exploded. Something was off on Olorin's end I think.

repimg-33-178848.jpg

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thors man. Thors! What do you do against those things?

repimg-33-178852.jpg

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So do we know what it will take to get into masters league yet? Will it just be the top 5 percent of players? Or the top 5 percent of players in diamond?

Sceptre on
  • countolafcountolaf Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I agree XSplit really rocks and that comes with the fact that they're just still in BETA. I'm excited for the finished product of this software. Hope they keep it free forever :o

With streams you can stream with 500kbs fine using livestream, I would stress that a quad core processor is so vital if you are attemption to go with ustream/jtv or ow3d though because they use external programmes which hog the cpu, coupled with sc2 its a complete sync and something usually gives. Xsplit is the best software ive found that doesnt drag the cpu down and doesnt drop frames. Also, and i cannot stress this enough, a huge mistake people make is with the frame rate, sc2 is not a heavy frame game, you can stream at 10 frames a second, 15 is fine and it will look perfectly fine, perfectly. Dont try it with other games but i promise sc2 it works. You also have to be very mindful of your output/input resolution.

countolaf on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So this whole game I was freaking out about the Zerg player having a bigger army. All Oh No I am not attacking but i probably suck now so why even bother oh no oh no. Then I attacked just because well fuck it and lo and behold we were almost evenly matched, he had a bit more. But I immediately warped in and scouted. Only a few lings and roaches? Well... okay! I have upgraded units, I can do this!

Cue a lot of stalker blinking and a Collossi taking out a lot and whoo boy he was so angry at me. I don't feel like I played that well at all, though. He had like 10 Corrupters to fend off the attack by the two void rays I'd made 5 minutes ago. If that hadn't freaked him out, his army would have rolled over mine much more thoroughly and gotten him the win.

I expected to feel better about being called a %$#ing #$%#er, but it kind of just made me feel bad to ruin someone's good time.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited January 2011
    So this whole game I was freaking out about the Zerg player having a bigger army. All Oh No I am not attacking but i probably suck now so why even bother oh no oh no. Then I attacked just because well fuck it and lo and behold we were almost evenly matched, he had a bit more. But I immediately warped in and scouted. Only a few lings and roaches? Well... okay! I have upgraded units, I can do this!

Cue a lot of stalker blinking and a Collossi taking out a lot and whoo boy he was so angry at me. I don't feel like I played that well at all, though. He had like 10 Corrupters to fend off the attack by the two void rays I'd made 5 minutes ago. If that hadn't freaked him out, his army would have rolled over mine much more thoroughly and gotten him the win.

I expected to feel better about being called a %$#ing #$%#er, but it kind of just made me feel bad to ruin someone's good time.

he called you a word censored from huck finn?

Joe K on
    edited January 2011
    So pumped for GSL tonight.

MC, NaDa, and InCa in the same group. Poor sanZenith.

Dhalphir on
  • eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am 1-1 tonight at the end of my available hour. Both matches were ZvT on Scrap Station. I lost the second because he proxy raxed and bunker rushed me and I didn't scout the rax out. He didn't take me down immediately, so I had time to make some bad decisions that eventually led to a crushing defeat. Should've expanded better, should've committed less to a nydus on his base, and should basically have macroed much better. I'll watch the replay tomorrow for the specifics.

It was really demoralizing and I see why pro's leave games so quickly sometimes. On the bright side, I was very annoying and a match that should've taken him 10 minutes tops took him 50+, so at least there's that.

eddizhere on
    League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I recently had a zerg say he was going to report me after I beat him with a mech build

another one simply said "skill" and left the game

but yeah it's part of playing terran

the best part

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zerg have nothing you can rage at since all their units are bad.

TheBog on
  • AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got called lucky last night for beating a proxy-gate that was so far away there weren't any zealots on my ramp before I'd completely walled off and built 2 marines.

Haters gon' hate.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    zerg have won 2 of 3 gsls nerf them into the ground

peacekeeper on
  • WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shut... down... EVERYTHING.

What on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah. The first 2 GSLs where players were just starting to figure out what the fuck does what.

TheBog on
    edited January 2011
    0-4 with the last one being a cannon rush

feels good man

Variable on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Joe sent me 2 replays of him not moving the screen out of his base.

Oh hey, look, suddenly his money is really low and he has a constant unit production throughout the entire game.
    We'll get him there guys, we'll get him there!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »

feels good man

cant terrans just lift and move if you're being cannon'd though?

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2011

feels good man

I guess but not without being way behind

more importantly I tried to stop it first so I was way too late to try and pull that

pulled scvs too late though. and cannons destroy marines.

woops

anyway just won 2, both by recognizing 1 base play and properly defending. that feels good because I often lose to heavy aggression because I've expanded.

Variable on
    edited January 2011
    alright I'm even on points for the night and pretty tired. needed to play some though it's been too many days of no ladder

tomorrow I'm really hoping to play in the afternoon but I don't know. definitely need to get work in for saturday :D

Variable on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

feels good man

That's the cowards way out. Real men hold the line.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Joe sent me 2 replays of him not moving the screen out of his base.

Oh hey, look, suddenly his money is really low and he has a constant unit production throughout the entire game.
    We'll get him there guys, we'll get him there!
    Yeah, I thought that he was getting distracted. He could probably switch back to Protoss, do that every game and get out of Bronze now.

His Corkiness on
    edited January 2011
    oh I forgot!

since we were talking about people raging at terrans for being terran

this toss dude beat me pretty hard and whispers me after "Terran OP"... I was like dude what? he says 'go anything but MMM it's auto win'. then he referenced some really good toss guy who always loses to thor scv all in... I said "I don't like to do that" and then ripped on him for needing to rage even though he fucking won. really bugged me as I'm sitting there having lost and had to deal with it.

but he apologized. and we ended up getting matched up again and I beat him. aw yeah.

Variable on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For anyone wondering how to stop Dhals 5+1 push as protos here is one way that should work on any map without a backdoor.

Play standard (13 gate etc) and scout at your 9 pylon. On LT the latest you'll scout the enemy is at 3:10. Notice his sheningans.

Odds are you've just about started your cybercore and is about 17 or so. Do *not* stop building probes.

Instead do the following in this order:

a) as long as you have more than 50 gas pull all probes to minerals.
    b) pull one probe to attack his probe if it's still in your base.
    c) build a forge as soon as you can afford it
    d) place your next pylon (probably third) where you want your defense. Best place is in front of your nat if that covers your main as well.
    e) chrono boost out your first stalker asap. Do NOT let his probe get inside your base again or you are dead.
    f) build 4 cannons at your defensive pylon.

4 cannons + 1 stalker at 5:50 should hold it perfectly. You only have 1 gate and 1 stalker but you should have a ton more probes then your opponent.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, that seems pretty good as a defense.
    My attack will usually hit at 5:35 but it won't be enough to get rid of the cannons.

One thing I want to try is to actually build the other 3 gates as proxies somewhere. So you scout my base and only see 1 gate cyber and you go "Oh shit what is he doing?? Proxy Stargate or something???"

Of course I won't have to do that on ladder ^^

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited January 2011
    For Terran it appears that the marauder expand beats it, at least Meeks beat it using marauder expand, but that may have been due to making a couple of poor choices on my part (built the proxy pylon on the a-move route to my base due to being on an unfamiliar map, as well as going for a base race I knew I wouldn't win)
    For anyone wondering how to stop Dhals 5+1 push as protos here is one way that should work on any map without a backdoor.

Play standard (13 gate etc) and scout at your 9 pylon. On LT the latest you'll scout the enemy is at 3:10. Notice his sheningans.

Odds are you've just about started your cybercore and is about 17 or so. Do *not* stop building probes.

Instead do the following in this order:

a) as long as you have more than 50 gas pull all probes to minerals.
    b) pull one probe to attack his probe if it's still in your base.
    c) build a forge as soon as you can afford it
    d) place your next pylon (probably third) where you want your defense. Best place is in front of your nat if that covers your main as well.
    e) chrono boost out your first stalker asap. Do NOT let his probe get inside your base again or you are dead.
    f) build 4 cannons at your defensive pylon.

4 cannons + 1 stalker at 5:50 should hold it perfectly. You only have 1 gate and 1 stalker but you should have a ton more probes then your opponent.

uh, and what does this do if he just sends his zealot in to draw cannon fire, snipes the pylon?

You might kill 1-2 of the stalkers and the zealot but then he still has three-four stalkers left, with reinforcements on their way.

I'd like to test it after GSL, if i could.

Dhalphir on
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best way to stop a 4 gate if timed for the standard 25-30 probe stop is to go 2 gate robo, the 4 gate however is exceedingly early, enough so that it cut significant probes, then the best way to stop it is pure attrition. PvP scouting is mostly about determining a few things, firstly is it cheese, secondly is it 4 gate, thirdly is it fe and fourth is it tech. 4 Gate is the easiest to scout by far, in that the pure essence of the 4 gate relies on being somewhat quick because a well structured 2 gate robo will beat a 4 gate if the person doing the 4 gate dallies around. The standard build for me in pvp is stalker, sentry then zealot and good sentry use along with good stalker use to delay to robo as long as possible should serve you just fine. Now thats not to say lol 2 gate robo beats 4 gate its like a hard counter, no, everyone loses to 4 gate sometime, its just a bitch to deal with. But I would wager that if you are the better player, if your control is sound and if you do not overeact but split with ff, tank with zealot and delay to robo that first immortal coupled with a sentry should hold out.

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Yeah, that seems pretty good as a defense.
    My attack will usually hit at 5:35 but it won't be enough to get rid of the cannons.

One thing I want to try is to actually build the other 3 gates as proxies somewhere. So you scout my base and only see 1 gate cyber and you go "Oh shit what is he doing?? Proxy Stargate or something???"

Of course I won't have to do that on ladder ^^

Klyka was the only one that beat DjGurra in the king of the hill matches we played, and he Dhal 4gated his dirty way to that win.

I'm on for the next lobby. I'll try not being drunk, playing at 1/3 of my normal apm and sending all my drones away across the map without noticing.

I'll try but I won't promise anything.....

Movitz on
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One build i do want to try is this supposed 3 gate starport build, pretty allin and works in the same way as a 4 gate does except you can separate his stalkers while you attack the front, as well as using the void for vision onto the highground if you want to warp in zealots with a proxy pylon.

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lesson learned: If you build 108 Drones, you can't build many Ultralisks.

edit: on watching the replay, I actually only had 66 at the end. I didn't even lose that many; I just built a lot of buildings. This is something new I'll have to get used to. I'm still happy that I ended up at a pretty good number, though. I'm not happy about how I'd actually forgotten about 30 lings and 6 Mutas next to one of my Hatcheries, though, which cut into my supply. >_<

His Corkiness on