As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Burrowing to the Smurf village.

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bwanie wrote: »
    no-one here bought the pass?

it was like 7 euro's

I buy them all even though it's a pain in the ass to watch live on a Mac. More about supporting the idea.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My connection can't handle the HQ stream and the GSL starts in the early evening for me so I always watch it live anyway.

remeber to stay tuned in for now to watch the ogsMC interview if they have one
    he always gives good interviews

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »
    Why is Nada playing Inca? Did they change the schedule for some reason?

see this is what happens when you don't watch, you don't know whats going on

the code s group matches are Bo1.

they play four matches, then a number of tiebreakers to determine who is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

MC beat NaDa, going 1 win. Then Inca beat zenith, he goes 1-0. Inca then lost to nada, MC beat zenith, making Zenith 0 wins, MC 2 wins, so they're fourth and 1st, and Inca and NaDa both have 1 win each so they play a tiebreaker to get one more win for one of them to take 2nd place.

Well, I had to go grocery shopping. But that's why I have you wonderful gents to tell me what happened.

Movitz on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I mean have you watched any of the code s matches this week? They've all worked the same way :lol:

edit: haha john wandering into camera view there

edit2: ogsmc cool as fuck, relaxing back and leaning back there

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i always gotta close when the artosis interviews come on

shit seems so awkward

like right now I just heard ___420 asks...

iowa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    this osl game im watching is pretty cool
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Roffles

iowa on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone wanted to ask a question under the name "Bagelstealer420".

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    watching sc1 is so weird, i dont understand anything thats happening

i mean i can kind of know its exciting when the commentators start screaming but they scream about anything

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah, locational hotkeys. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    So, question:

Do you guys think I should just keep using the "Dhal 4gate" on ladder?
    I am a bit afraid that it won't really help me to get better at the game. Or is that notion wrong?
    I know people like Idra say that a newb should just use one basic build order and hammer it into his skull until he can do it in his sleep but I fear that this kind of rush might be the wrong strat to use!

Opinions?

when you get higher ranked you'll encounter people who can defend it, forcing you to mid-game, making you learn to play better.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Stick with the 4-gate until you can't win with it very much any more.

Then start branching out into new strategies with the macro mechanics that you've built via 4-gate repetition.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    mastman wrote: »
    So, question:

Do you guys think I should just keep using the "Dhal 4gate" on ladder?
    I am a bit afraid that it won't really help me to get better at the game. Or is that notion wrong?
    I know people like Idra say that a newb should just use one basic build order and hammer it into his skull until he can do it in his sleep but I fear that this kind of rush might be the wrong strat to use!

Opinions?

when you get higher ranked you'll encounter people who can defend it, forcing you to mid-game, making you learn to play better.

exactly what kind of higher rank are you talking about?

the specific build we're talking about has not lost me a game on ladder yet vs Protoss or Terran, at 2500 Diamond.

Meeks beat it with the marauder expand build, I don't know if that countered my build or if it countered me specifically, but that is so far the only time I personally have lost with it. I'm not sure about Klyka.

Yes, its counterable, but implying that it is automatically beatable by anyone higher rank is just dumb. Its an exceedingly powerful build, much more so than a standard 4gate, though you make more of an economic sacrifice than you do with a normal 4gate, meaning that you have to do some damage or you will be behind. Luckily, because it hits so early, its very easy, given correct execution, to do that damage if not win outright.

EDIT: let me just say I don't mean to come across as overly defensive here, although I know thats how it reads. I realise you're just making a point about single builds and how they will only take you so far. However, Klyka is more than experienced enough to be well aware of this.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Here is a replay of my last Zerg game at silver level on my SEA account.

This game felt really good. Its the first game where I've felt really like I'm starting to get a grasp on how Zerg works and how they interact with the other races.

I would therefore love if one of the good Zerg players here can take a look at it, rip me apart and tell me what I should be doing differently.

Please avoid mentioning the fact that I don't hotkey my queens. I know I don't. I don't feel I need to. Forgetting to larvae inject is a problem for me, but when I do remember (and its not THAT bad, my queens never hit 200 energy for example, at least), I find that manually moving to each hatch and selecting the queen manually to inject is plenty fast enough for now.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=179031

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    how was GSL today? Someone give me a recap plz

Franko on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Franko wrote: »
    how was GSL today? Someone give me a recap plz

Everyone owned in the hierarchy that you would expect.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have so far lost against 2 Zerg and 1 Protoss with the Dhalgate.

One time against a 5rr, once against a 6pool cause I am a noob and the Toss proxy2gated me cause I am a fucking nnnoooooob.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Allincraft 2: Cheese of Liberty

Yann on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

This game felt really good. Its the first game where I've felt really like I'm starting to get a grasp on how Zerg works and how they interact with the other races.

I would therefore love if one of the good Zerg players here can take a look at it, rip me apart and tell me what I should be doing differently.

Please avoid mentioning the fact that I don't hotkey my queens. I know I don't. I don't feel I need to. Forgetting to larvae inject is a problem for me, but when I do remember (and its not THAT bad, my queens never hit 200 energy for example, at least), I find that manually moving to each hatch and selecting the queen manually to inject is plenty fast enough for now.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=179031

Didn't I analyze one of your games yesterday?

I'm not really a "good" Zerg player though.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Can we, as a thread, agree to stop using the phrase cheese to describe every single strategy that doesn't involve taking four expansions before the 3 minute mark?

I exaggerate, but it seems that "1base" has become synonymous with "all-in", which has become synonymous with "cheese".

Which just isn't true. I think we can all agree some strategies are a bit cheesy. Proxy void rays...proxy gateways...cannon rushes....6pools, proxy barracks...basically anything that automatically loses if scouted early, not only because its been scouted, but also because its too late to back out, you're committed

However, something like a 4gate that cuts a lot of probes, or a 4rax attack from 1 base, or a 1base roach attack, those aren't cheese. You may scout them and respond correctly, but they aren't cheese, you don't automatically win. First, you have to respond correctly and secondly your opponent can simply back out. He might be a little behind by having to swap to another plan, but he won't automatically lose or be WAY behind the way he is if a proxy fails or a cannon rush fails.

All of you guys need to stop and think about things a little before you call so many strategies cheese, or all-in, when in fact they are not even cheese, and some of them aren't even all-in! Being behind, economically or otherwise, if an attack fails does not necessarily make that attack all-in, only when you are unrecoverably far behind.
    Movitz wrote: »

Didn't I analyze one of your games yesterday?

I'm not really a "good" Zerg player though.

Yeah, you did. I'd appreciate another look from someone who's seen previous play.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    all protoss strats are allin cheese rushes though

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Maybe in a few hours, I don't really have the time right now, sorry.

Movitz on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hey guys I heard dhal likes to all in and cheese
    also I heard a rumor he plays protoss :shock:

Yann on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    all protoss strats are allin cheese rushes though

terran turtle all the time

zerg rush all day erry day

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

One time against a 5rr, once against a 6pool cause I am a noob and the Toss proxy2gated me cause I am a fucking nnnoooooob.

I snuck in three games intending to use it this morning.

Game 1: Quit 15 seconds in. Trying to lose down from Plat I guess.
    Game 2: Metal, vZ. My probe is getting to his base (3rd I checked after scouting after gate at 10) and my zealot is just about to pop when 6 pool lings run by in. I react poorly and die.
    Game 3: vT on Metal. I more or less pull it off, getting past a bunker at the ramp.... except I don't notice he sent five Marines to my base until most of my probe are already dead. I've taken out a barracks and a decent number of scvs but I have 2 probes left when my Nexus 'splodes

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    PantsB wrote: »

Game 2: Metal, vZ. My probe is getting to his base (3rd I checked after scouting after gate at 10) and my zealot is just about to pop when 6 pool lings run by in. I react poorly and die.
    Game 3: vT on Metal. I more or less pull it off, getting past a bunker at the ramp.... except I don't notice he sent five Marines to my base until most of my probe are already dead. I've taken out a barracks and a decent number of scvs but I have 2 probes left when my Nexus 'splodes

how was a zealot popping when 6pool lings were coming to your base?

you shouldn't be making a zealot until you have all four warpgates up and running.

i mean, not that making a zealot is a bad choice if you're getting 6pooled, but you hadn't scouted it yet, so that was just the wrong build.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PantsB wrote: »

how was a zealot popping when 6pool lings were coming to your base?

you shouldn't be making a zealot until you have all four warpgates up and running.

i mean, not that making a zealot is a bad choice if you're getting 6pooled, but you hadn't scouted it yet, so that was just the wrong build.

Well I intended to use it but I'm not skipping that zealot v Z. In the end its equivalent - you just build a Zealot early to hold the ramp, don't build the first Stalker until second Stalker timing and warp in 4 Stalkers at the front when the time comes.

I did stomp my Diamond level friend using it yesterday even when I told him it was coming, but he was playing off race as Terran.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, if thats the way you want to play it.
    Its will let his scout be in your base for longer.

Whatever suits your playstyle better, but just so you know its a flaw in your play to be unwilling to go without military units. By all means if you know something is coming build that zealot but eventually you want to develop the confidence to trust what you scout.

That said, however, the build is not all that great against Zerg, and its not the build you should be using if you're worrying about early attacks from Zerg, ie, any build other than FE.

If a Zerg FEs, you don't have to worry about early attacks, and if they don't FE you shouldn't be using the build.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    one base cutting probes for a rush is pretty all in though (edit - it's not, really, but I think it makes sense to call it that. you're putting yourself at a huge deficit for a single attack that may or may not work depending on opponent scouting)

like it's as close as you get without actually sending scvs/probes isn't it?

technically you can send 5 probes and 1 marine and still keep living but I'd call it pretty all in too.

for the record, I use cheese as little as possible (the term) and I don't mean it pejoratively at all. it's all strategies and tactics. I hate losing to it more because I want to learn the game but hey, it's part of the game and it's not my ladder opponent's responsibility to help me learn the way I want :D

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Being economically behind and having gone all-in and failed is not the same thing.

Lets take it at the absolute worst. You go the 4gate fast 5stalker 1 zealot attack. You poke up the ramp, he's seen you coming and has 3 bunkers full of units up there. At the most, he probably has maybe 28-30 workers, but he can't be making an expansion anytime soon because he's spent a lot on army to hold you off. Keep your army there, start chronoboosting probes, poke up occasionally to make sure he's not salvaging the bunkers to use the money to expand.

That is far from being screwed. And thats the absolute worst case! I find it hard to imagine the build being repelled THAT well with an economic build that doesn't cut workers.

You have at least 1.5 chronoboosts when the attack first hits with the build, and by the time you retreat you'll have just over 2 worth of energy, which can get another 4-5 probes out super fast.

And if he does salvage those bunkers and spends some money on expanding, you then attack.

Yes, its an economic sacrifice to pull it off, and yes, you will be behind if it fails, but not to the degree that justifies calling it all-in.

There is a variant of the build that hits 30 seconds earlier off 2 warp gates with the same amount of units that cuts at 12 probes.

THAT, is all-in. 18 probes isn't.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For Terran it appears that the marauder expand beats it, at least Meeks beat it using marauder expand, but that may have been due to making a couple of poor choices on my part (built the proxy pylon on the a-move route to my base due to being on an unfamiliar map, as well as going for a base race I knew I wouldn't win)
    For anyone wondering how to stop Dhals 5+1 push as protos here is one way that should work on any map without a backdoor.

Play standard (13 gate etc) and scout at your 9 pylon. On LT the latest you'll scout the enemy is at 3:10. Notice his sheningans.

Odds are you've just about started your cybercore and is about 17 or so. Do *not* stop building probes.

Instead do the following in this order:

a) as long as you have more than 50 gas pull all probes to minerals.
    b) pull one probe to attack his probe if it's still in your base.
    c) build a forge as soon as you can afford it
    d) place your next pylon (probably third) where you want your defense. Best place is in front of your nat if that covers your main as well.
    e) chrono boost out your first stalker asap. Do NOT let his probe get inside your base again or you are dead.
    f) build 4 cannons at your defensive pylon.

4 cannons + 1 stalker at 5:50 should hold it perfectly. You only have 1 gate and 1 stalker but you should have a ton more probes then your opponent.

uh, and what does this do if he just sends his zealot in to draw cannon fire, snipes the pylon?

You might kill 1-2 of the stalkers and the zealot but then he still has three-four stalkers left, with reinforcements on their way.

I'd like to test it after GSL, if i could.

Took a while to reply because I was out studying.

Here is the replay I made this morning to test out the timing. I've only done it once because I thought about how to defend it last night and I made the rep this morning while drinking my tea, which shows.

I made a *ton* of mistakes in this rep so it's hardly streamlined but the last cannon warps in 5:50 and I have about 28 probes. I can't see a good way to why it wouldn't stop your rush. (By the way not using that one idle probe in my base and the scouting probe is on purpose, one will be chasing the enemy probe and the other one will go back to base asap, probably to build a pylon.

I could probably have had more probes and another cannon or pylon if I played optimally.

The point about sniping the pylon is valid, however:

1) I didn't deviate builds until I scouted the last position, on a 2 player map OR if you get lucky you can have 2 pylons.
    2) My placement was really sloopy but you can place pylons about two steps behind of 4 cannons making that first snipe attempt much more difficult.
    3) Many maps allow you to shut this move down hard by placing your pylon on the cliff, out of sight range.
    4) If it really is a dealbreaker it's easy to cut one probe near the end and just build that 4th pylon.

repimg-33-179062.jpg

I really don't see how this build wouldn't stop the rush.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hahahha that all-in sounds FABULOUS.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I ever 9 pool, which is hardly ever, it's just cause I can micro my lings pretty well and keep your probes busy while I continue to macro =). 6 pools never work.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    mastman wrote: »
    If I ever 9 pool, which is hardly ever, it's just cause I can micro my lings pretty well and keep your probes busy while I continue to macro =). 6 pools never work.

6 pools are pretty much the same idea.

Send 6 lings, micro to screw up with their build and pick off probes, mash 5sd constantly.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only thing i hate sometimes is when a Terran just decides he is losing and brings every scv to buffer and win the game.

God damnit i hate autorepair so damn much

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's more all in but I don't know that anything is unrecoverable if you do enough damage

nada vs. inca was aaawwwwwesome

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The only thing i hate sometimes is when a Terran just decides he is losing and brings every scv to buffer and win the game.

God damnit i hate autorepair so damn much

just remember: the 4gate was the first popular all in strategy of this game

blame yoself

iowa on
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh shit, I just skipped gold and went straight to plat.

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Tier 1 noobs FTW." - ProjectM, 2600+ Diamond Zerg Player.

What on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For Terran it appears that the marauder expand beats it, at least Meeks beat it using marauder expand, but that may have been due to making a couple of poor choices on my part (built the proxy pylon on the a-move route to my base due to being on an unfamiliar map, as well as going for a base race I knew I wouldn't win)
    For anyone wondering how to stop Dhals 5+1 push as protos here is one way that should work on any map without a backdoor.
    *strategy snipped*.

uh, and what does this do if he just sends his zealot in to draw cannon fire, snipes the pylon?

You might kill 1-2 of the stalkers and the zealot but then he still has three-four stalkers left, with reinforcements on their way.

I'd like to test it after GSL, if i could.

You probably know this already Dhal, but it is possible to manually aim cannons.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Ah, locational hotkeys. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

I thought they put those on F5-F8 in one of the earlier patches for sc2....

Joe K on