As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 Questions

anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it.Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
So yesterday I got an early Christmas present and I had a few questions.

1. Right now it doesn't really look that great on my tv. I have an HDTV but no hook up for HDMI. So is there any other way for me to get HD? Or at least just make it look any better?

2. I got a 120 gb. Is it backwards compatible with PS2, PS1, or both types?

3. The last time I owned and really got into a PS was with the first one. What games do I need to play? I've had a 360 since launch so I'm looking for exclusives.

Steam: offday
anoffday on

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    anoffday wrote: »

1. Right now it doesn't really look that great on my tv. I have an HDTV but no hook up for HDMI. So is there any other way for me to get HD? Or at least just make it look any better?

3. The last time I owned and really got into a PS was with the first one. What games do I need to play? I've had a 360 since launch so I'm looking for exclusives.

1) Does your tv use DVI? Pick up a HDMI to DVI convertor and then use phono cables for the sound. Or optical if you have something that accepts that. A HDMI to DVI convertor should be cheap. If you don't then grab a component cable, they sell official ones but (I'm pretty sure) the PS2 ones work too.

2) PS1 compatible only. Very few PS3s are backwards compatible with PS2 games. There are the "remastered" ports though, which are great.

3) What kind of game do you like? I'd HIGHLY recommend Uncharted and Uncharted 2. If you like horror games then Siren is horribly overlooked, it's a great game. God of War, Ratchet and Clank. I'd also REALLY recommend Heavenly Sword, it's cheap as hell nowadays (don't pay much over $10/£5) but is a fantastic game.

If you give us an idea of what kind of game you like (or what you don't like) then others will be able to help a bit more.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Demon's Souls is, bar none, the best game on the system. Start with that.

Xagarath on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

1) Does your tv use DVI? Pick up a HDMI to DVI convertor and then use phono cables for the sound. Or optical if you have something that accepts that. A HDMI to DVI convertor should be cheap. If you don't then grab a component cable, they sell official ones but (I'm pretty sure) the PS2 ones work too.

2) PS1 compatible only. Very few PS3s are backwards compatible with PS2 games. There are the "remastered" ports though, which are great.

3) What kind of game do you like? I'd HIGHLY recommend Uncharted and Uncharted 2. If you like horror games then Siren is horribly overlooked, it's a great game. God of War, Ratchet and Clank. I'd also REALLY recommend Heavenly Sword, it's cheap as hell nowadays (don't pay much over $10/£5) but is a fantastic game.

If you give us an idea of what kind of game you like (or what you don't like) then others will be able to help a bit more.
    So I already have a HDMI cable. What does DVI look like? I don't really know a lot about tvs. Also, what does the component cable look like? I got the red, yellow, white cable with it. What's that called?

anoffday on
    edited December 2010

So I already have a HDMI cable. What does DVI look like? I don't really know a lot about tvs. Also, what does the component cable look like? I got the red, yellow, white cable with it. What's that called?

Could you post up what model tv you have? That'd give us a hand.

DVI is:

dvi-hdtv-connector.jpg
    Pretty much the same as HDMI except doesn't carry sound.

Component is:

component-cable.jpg
    The Red, Green and Blue carry video, the other red and the white carry audio. (The black bit is what plugs in to the ps3)

The reason you have such a terrible picture is because of that cable you have. The default cable is what's called 'composite' and it's horribly, horribly outdated but it's pretty much guaranteed to work on every tv, which is probably why it's included.

If you can post up what tv you have, I (or someone else) will let you know which cables to get.

Mr_Grinch on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What's the make and model of your TV?

wonderpug on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Demon's Souls is, bar none, the best game on the system. Start with that.

By far.

3d dot game heroes if you like original Zelda.

Infamous is pretty good if you like sand box games.

Little big planet is a great platformer.

Valkyria chronicles if you like srpg's and don't mind/like anime cliches.

Uncharted really should not be missed.

God of War 3 is cool if you like that kind of action game, and you can get the other 2 with updated graphics in a collection.

Flower and Flow are the best uses of the sixaxis.

Pixeljunk monsters is great if you like tower defense. pixeljunk shooter is really cool as well. I can't honestly recommend pixeljunk eden though.

Echochrome is a fascinating puzzle game.

Everyday shooter is the best uhhh, dual analog shooter there is, imo.

Calling all care is a really fun time in multiplayer.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited December 2010
    You play Calling all Cars? I bought it two years ago and played it about twice. It was really fun and I kept meaning to try the online but I figured it must be dead about now.

Mr_Grinch on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok. I have DVI then. I hook it up to my computer through that too, right?

My tv is a sansui HDLCD1908C

edit: Should I keep the HDMI cable and buy the converter, or is there a cord I can buy that has one end for DVI and the other end for HDMI?

anoffday on
    edited December 2010
    Just looking at the manual for your tv now. It doesn't look like your TV has a DVI port, it has a VGA (There's a difference, confusing I know). It's this:
    vga2.jpg

Rather than a DVI, which I posted earlier. You (generally) can't connect a PS3 by VGA, you can do it but it's not your best bet.

Your tv DOES have component ports though, which would be your best bet. You'll want to get some of these:

PS3 - Component Cables
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083003&p_id=4009&seq=1&format=2

(I'm from the UK and assuming you're in the states, I've heard monoprice is good but someone may be able to correct me)

When they arrive they'll look very similar to the yellow, red and white cable you have now. Except instead of a yellow cable it will have Red, blue and green. Plug the black bit in to the back of your PS3, now on the back of your tv you should see the component sockets (they should be coloured red, blue and green for video and then have two red and white sockets nearby for audio). Just match colour to colour.

Boot up your PS3 and go to the video settings. You want to tell it to output by component and when it asks you what video modes your tv supports select "720p". This will give you high definition output and will look SO much better than what you have at the moment.

::edit:: Hang on to that HDMI cable in case you ever change your tv. All HDTVs you buy nowadays have HDMI ports.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited December 2010
    Ok, cool. That's kind of like what I have for 360 now I think.

Thanks so much for all your help, Mr_Grinch.

As for game recommendations, I really like platformers, rpgs, and action. Basically open to anything except sports games.

anoffday on
    edited December 2010
    I'm sure others will dive in now with a few more suggestions, but I'd start off with these :)

Platformers:

LittleBigPlanet
    Pixeljunk Eden (an aquired taste)
    Ratchet and Clank

RPG:

DEMON'S SOULS! - Painfully difficult at times but fantastic
    3d Dot Game Heroes

Action

Uncharted 1 & 2 - Falls under platforming too. Absolutely fantastic roller coaster-ride of a game. Both of them.
    Infamous - Plenty of open world hopping about, and zapping people with electricity
    God of War 1, 2 and 3 - Seeing as though you've missed out on the PS2 I'd recommend picking up the GOW1&2 collection (remastered versions of the PS2 games for PS3) and then if you like them buy GOW3

There's a ton of good exclusives, it's where the PS3 really shines.

Mr_Grinch on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ... Everyday shooter is the best uhhh, dual analog shooter there is, imo.

Super Stardust HD would like to have a stern word with you, my friend.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm being misquoted!

Xagarath on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just because no-one else will probably recommend these; for casual time / party sessions I love Buzz! and the Blue Toad Mystery Files. BTMF I believe is on sale at the mo, and will be getting Move support. (Might be wrong on the sale - not got a PS3 here.)

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seeing people lend a hand like this puts a smile on my face.

So, I have not seen any mention of Joe Danger in this thread. None! If you're looking for a good local multiplayer game that you can play in short bursts, Joe's your man. It's a side-scrolling racer with platformy puzzly elements to it, and you can sit down with a friend for five minutes or an evening.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

The red/yellow/white cable is a "composite" cable (not to be confused with the RGBOW "component" cable). Red and white are the left and right audio and the yellow is the composite video. You will not get HD from a composite cable. The best a composite cable will do is 480p.

EDIT: looks like I'm too late to this party. Again.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You play Calling all Cars? I bought it two years ago and played it about twice. It was really fun and I kept meaning to try the online but I figured it must be dead about now.

It's dead and gone sadly, but it is still a blast locally.

Hmm. I really like super stardust. Hell, I'll admit it's better than every day shooter, but I still like every day shooter. The way it mixes the gameplay with music is, well I am a giant sucker for that kind of thing and so personal bias pushes it ahead of super stardust. Both are great though.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm being misquoted!

I exist in an alternate timeline where I correctly apply quotes every time.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stupid wrote: »
    The best a composite cable will do is 480p.

EDIT: looks like I'm too late to this party. Again.
    480i, actually. Component video is required to do 480p and up. See Wikipedia's list.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have my PS3 connected through VGA, but it's a kludge involving a component cable converter in order to get it to output on my monitor, and it means that DVDs or PS1 games don't work because they display in a different resolution to what's set natively on the machine and what my monitor can handle. If you have a spare component port on your TV, use it.

I notice from your gamercard that you haven't played Red Dead Redemption, which needs to be fixed. Get it on either, I don't care, it's great.

As for recommendations, I'd go for inFamous, both Uncharteds and Heavy Rain at least to get you started. Not having a PS2, you'll have missed out on Ratchet and Clank - try the demo and see if you like it, there's a few for PS3 and they're good little platformers. You'll also have missed God of War, and for PS3 there's a re-release that'll allow you to play the first two on PS3 and then move straight into the PS3-native God of War III if you want. There's also a PS3 port of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus coming out next year. For the love of God, get this. I also really like Super Rub a Dub on PSN, and of course there's also Flower and Joe Danger on there.

Also, make sure you go in and set your power saving settings. I have mine set to turn the controllers off after ten minutes, and the console off after a few hours, but I also set it to automatically run Life with PlayStation after a certain amount of idle time, because then it can cure cancer instead (no, really!). The controllers will only charge when the console is on, and it doesn't have the low-power controller-charging mode the 360 does, so Life with PlayStation is a good way to charge your controllers without feeling too guilty about using the power. PlayStation Plus is not required for online play, so don't buy it unless you want specifically what it has to offer.

Also, add me on PSN. I'm Willeth.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Question about custom playlists on the PS3--

I'm used to how it works on the 360. I can put the physical MP3s on the xbox, or I can stream it from my computer. I can get to it by pushing the xbox button no matter what I'm doing at the time.

How is this on the PS3? Can I stream it from my computer? (It's an iMac, actually.)

Or should I put the music on the PS3? And if so, how do I do that?

And then how do I do custom playlists when I'm playing a game?

Ohio on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Very few games support custom soundtracks, I believe. It's built-in at a firmware level on the 360, but the PS3 has to kind of hack it in. I may be wrong and this has changed, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    Very few games support custom soundtracks, I believe. It's built-in at a firmware level on the 360, but the PS3 has to kind of hack it in. I may be wrong and this has changed, though.

more games support it these days, but its nothing like universal sadly. games have to be specifically coded to support it, and a lot of devs dont bother.

Ah_Pook on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ohio wrote: »
    How is this on the PS3? Can I stream it from my computer? (It's an iMac, actually.)
    As far as I know streaming is the same 360 v PS3 in that all you need is software on your iMac to stream and if applicable transcode. I don't think PS3 Media Server is free but I've heard good things and it works on OSX.

Edit: Maybe it is free, I stream from my NAS so never bothered looking into it.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It costs money, but Media Link is a pretty awesome streaming program for the Mac.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    D: Aaaugh the whole time I was shopping for your SS games I kept on thinking "if only he had a PS3, this would be so simple!" You need:
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (it's cheap now - try it to see if R&C is your cup of tea. If it is, get A Crack In Time, which is better.)
    • The Sly Collection (three delicious PS2 platformers remastered for HD)
    • inFamous (fabulously fun open-world platforming from the Sly Cooper dev)
    • Uncharted 2 (is super awesome)
    • Demon's Souls (is definitely the best JRPG on the system)

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited December 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    D: Aaaugh the whole time I was shopping for your SS games I kept on thinking "if only he had a PS3, this would be so simple!" You need:
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (it's cheap now - try it to see if R&C is your cup of tea. If it is, get A Crack In Time, which is better.)

Demon's Souls is the best JRPG on ANY system.

But I might be biased.

Also you should have just got him a PS3 Chance :p

Mr_Grinch on
  • dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I cannot recommend getting your hands on every demo possible. I have found several games I love that I would have never thought to buy, and saved money by trying games out that I thought I would like and hated.

I have loved:

Little Big Planet
    Red Dead Redemption
    God of War 3, and get the HD versions of one and two since you missed out on them.
    Uncharted 1 And 2, (I actually did not like 1 a whole lot, but really liked 2)
    Heavenly Sword.

Once you have your good cables I would also recommend trying out a few Blu Ray movies as well. The new Batman movies being great choices.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Demon's Souls is the best JRPG on ANY system.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The only way demon souls is related to JRPGs is that it came out from japan.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited December 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    The only way demon souls is related to JRPGs is that it came out from japan.

My comment may be slightly skewed by the fact I haven't really played any other JRPGs or RPGs ever.

Mr_Grinch on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have waited years to say this, and the chance has finally come around: I am getting a PS3. [You have earned a Trophy: Own all current-gen consoles and handhelds.] So I'm excited as hell and my 320GB system should be delivered in a few days. Some questions from you helpful folks:

1) I've been a 360 owner for years, so now that I'm actually forced to choose between multiplatform releases, how do you guys do it? I'm not that much of a technical nitpicker, but it would be nice to know what I'm getting into.

2) What's the best way for me to get my PS3 to talk to my Logitech Harmony? I know that there's an official adapter, but I also remember some people talking about being able to find a cheaper IR adapter somewhere from a third-party remote.

3) I asked this in the PSN thread as well, but: Is PSN Plus worth it? I love digital distro (and also buy releases for PSP), but I'm not sure if the discounts offset the cost. Early beta access isn't really a big deal for me, and is the whole "auto-patching" part of Plus really that much of a hassle without it?

4) Here's my initial batch of games I want to pick up (eventually, not all at once):
    - Sly Cooper collection
    - Uncharted 1 & 2
    - Dead Space 2 (over the 360 version for the Extraction up-port)
    - Demon's Souls
    - 3-D Dot Heroes
    - Valkyria Chronicles
    - Ratchet & Clank (I liked the PS2 versions a lot, should I pick up Tools of Destruction or Crack in Time first?)
    - Shatter
    - Wipeout HD
    - Flower (ironically, I already own this; I bought it just to play on my brother's borrowed PS3 last year)
    - Moisturizer so I can masterbate furiously while waiting for The Last Guardian and the Ico/Shadow collection

Any other suggestions? I'm not big on open-world games, so I don't know how much I'd like Infamous.

5) Where do I get those Gamercard-esque things for my PSN login? [strike]And then you guys can add me, once I remember what my PSP login is. :P[/strike] My ID is "Lunkermesh," so feel free to add me.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited January 2011
    Chance wrote: »
    Ha. I had a hint that my fiance was getting me a PS3, but I wasn't sure. :D

Lunker, I'm adding you. I'm currently still friendless on PSN.

anoffday on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    1) I've been a 360 owner for years, so now that I'm actually forced to choose between multiplatform releases, how do you guys do it? I'm not that much of a technical nitpicker, but it would be nice to know what I'm getting into.
    Anything multiplayer goes on the 360, hands down. Almost everything else I'd also prefer on the 360 because I much prefer the controller. Exceptions are games that use the d-pad, which is better on the PS3, or games where there's a real advantage to having the PS3 version (Final Fantasy).
    2) What's the best way for me to get my PS3 to talk to my Logitech Harmony? I know that there's an official adapter, but I also remember some people talking about being able to find a cheaper IR adapter somewhere from a third-party remote.
    This adapter is small, unobtrusive, and has worked great for me.
    3) I asked this in the PSN thread as well, but: Is PSN Plus worth it? I love digital distro (and also buy releases for PSP), but I'm not sure if the discounts offset the cost. Early beta access isn't really a big deal for me, and is the whole "auto-patching" part of Plus really that much of a hassle without it?
    Looks like a ripoff to me but some people like it. Just depends how much you expect you'll really use it.

wonderpug on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah Ratchet and Clank and the Uncharted games are must haves for PS3.

Add me on PSN too.

name = my name here

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My 360 is effectively dead but if minor graphical differences aren't a concern then I'd say buy multiplayers for the system you have the biggest friend list (with interest in the game), and single players for the system that has your preferred controller.

Edit: I forgot about games with console specific bonuses/DLC mostly because I hate the trend. For example I had no issues play Dead Rising 2 on the PS3 even though it got slammed in reviews but missing out on Case Zero/West sucks.
    YMMV. To me doesn't seem worth it but I am crying about missing out on the current Scott Pilgrim sale. The "auto-patch" seems to be only for people that truly rage when they can't play this second because game x needs to be patched. I see the appeal but not enough to shell out for the privilege.
    4) Here's my initial batch of games I want to pick up (eventually, not all at once):
    - Sly Cooper collection
    - Uncharted 1 & 2
    - Dead Space 2 (over the 360 version for the Extraction up-port)
    - Demon's Souls
    - 3-D Dot Heroes
    - Valkyria Chronicles
    - Ratchet & Clank (I liked the PS2 versions a lot, should I pick up Tools of Destruction or Crack in Time first?)
    - Shatter
    - Wipeout HD
    - Flower (ironically, I already own this; I bought it just to play on my brother's borrowed PS3 last year)
    - Moisturizer so I can masterbate furiously while waiting for The Last Guardian and the Ico/Shadow collection

Any other suggestions? I'm not big on open-world games, so I don't know how much I'd like Infamous.
    Both R&C games are on the cheap list now, my vote is to play them in order (ToD first) but that's because I'm anal like that :P. Infamous is also on the cheap list and the demo might still be available on the PSN. I never got into the GTA series and fairly meh about Prototype/RDR, but I loved Infamous.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just pay a little attention to what's going on (exclusive content or whatever) and maybe check out some Eurogamer Digital Foundry articles if you're still not sure, though they can often get into some really nitpicky stuff you'll never notice.

If you already have a XBL Gold account, you may as well go with the 360 versions if you're getting an online game. If you don't then you can get free online on the PS3.
    Patching isn't that much of a deal, though patches can certainly get pretty big depending on what's being added (all the GT5 improvements added up to ~800MB for example) and Sony's servers can be damn slow depending on traffic and your location.

PSN+ overall, I can't really comment a whole lot on, since I've never used it. I'd suggest checking out all of the discounts they've offered since it started and calculate how much you would've saved each month. If it seems like a deal after that, go with it, otherwise there's no reason to get it. If Sony offers better deals or more incentives later on, you can always get it then.

I'd suggest going with Tools of Destruction first. Its story leads straight into Crack in Time and since CiT is the best game in the series, I think it'd be smarter to play the lesser of the two first. You can also get Quest for Booty off the PSN if you want, it occurs in between those two games. It isn't really important to the overall story and it is pretty short, but it's also fun and pretty cheap.

As for other games, I'd still recommend playing Infamous. Unlike pretty much every other open world game (especially Rockstar's ones), the gameplay is actually really fun.

I think Heavy Rain is at least worth a rent, since it does some really interesting things. Yakuza 3 (and soon, 4) are awesome and incredibly badass. There's also LBP2 coming out this month, it looks and sounds fantastic. Plus Disgaea 4's coming out this year, it (alongside its HD sprites) might catch your interest.

On the PSN, take a look at the PS Store threads OP for recommendations, there's some really great games in there and most of them should have demos. Personally I can highly recommend all the PixelJunk games (Shooter is my favourite, but Monsters and Eden are awesome too), Critter Crunch, Joe Danger and Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse. Noby Noby Boy is cheap and a neat little fun experience too.
    5) Where do I get those Gamercard-esque things for my PSN login? [strike]And then you guys can add me, once I remember what my PSP login is. :P[/strike] My ID is "Lunkermesh," so feel free to add me.

The US and PAL PlayStation websites have different ones which you can get by simply logging into them (the US site is us.playstation.com, the UK one is uk.playstation.com), but both are pretty limited and ugly. And they don't automatically update, so if you earn new trophies you have to manually go onto the site and update the card. In other words, it's a pain in the ass and that's why no-one uses them.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you like racing at all, or just really funky and futuristic games then I must insist you buy Wipeout HD and its expansion Fury.

By far one of my favourite and most played games on either my PS3 or 360, I adore it :)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got PSN+. It's alright. The discounts/free stuff are nice, but I don't buy enough to make it worthwhile. The patching is really nice to have, though it can be easily lived without as well.

I mostly purchased it hoping they'd get around to adding more features (like out of game group voice chat). That hasn't happened yet.

If you haven't gotten an extended warranty yet they offer a pretty good discount on those to PSN+ subscribers. So that + cheap/free games + updating + hopefully new features in the future might make it worth getting.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, I will hopefully be getting my system this week or early next! So far I've scrounged up from GameStop:

- Uncharted 1 & 2
    - Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    - Demon's Souls
    - 3-D Dot Game Heroes

Plus I'll be getting Wipeout HD and Shatter, and I already have Flower, which will help me relax after I get tired of Demon's Souls punching me in the dick. Might get the PSN Tetris. What does the Fury expansion add to Wipeout HD, and is it worth the extra bones?

Will probably pass on PSN Plus for now, but I'll be keeping my eye on the sale features.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)