As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[UO] Come back, my Lads! - IPY 2.0

amateursuperheroamateursuperhero Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
amateursuperhero on

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a real life friend who's girlfriend is absolutely beside herself about this. She's in the beta now. The game is a bit too classic for me, but I get the appeal. Cool to see it still has a lot of player support.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've talked about this over at F13 a bit, and am pretty excited about it, even though it's really hard for me to get back into UO nowadays. The Siege Perilous-like skill gain system would help a lot, since macroing all your shit to full before you can do anything makes things feel too cheap and EVE-like.

Here's hoping it doesn't end up heading back down the path of original IPY.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • amateursuperheroamateursuperhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's awesome. She's lucky, I'm not even in beta haha.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    That's awesome. She's lucky, I'm not even in beta haha.

Apparently all you had to do to get in beta was "friend" them on Facebook. That's how my buddy got in so he could play with her. Or more precisely, how she got him in so he could play with her.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited January 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    I've talked about this over at F13 a bit, and am pretty excited about it, even though it's really hard for me to get back into UO nowadays. The Siege Perilous-like skill gain system would help a lot, since macroing all your shit to full before you can do anything makes things feel too cheap and EVE-like.

Here's hoping it doesn't end up heading back down the path of original IPY.

Yeah, I agree. I'm a pathological macroer, but I totally acknowledge it detracts from the game. I don't know all the specifics of skill-gain on IPY2, but I know there's a daily skill cap, and then rare drops of like "+.1" skill scrolls in dungeons. So it doesn't totally destroy macroing, but puts all the incentives in going out and hunting in dungeons. People actually playing the game will be finishing characters before those sitting in houses, and that's the way it should be.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I don't use Facebook, so the beta thing was completely lost on me.

Right now one of my few concerns is boats as storage. From what I've read, they're really meant to be used mainly for moving to and fro from Ice Island and other otherwise-inaccessible places as well as hauling loot. Since they're now really expensive and I assume they can be sunk while you're offline, they seem kind of a bit too risky to use as any kind of semi-permanent storage in lieu of a house.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure how that's going to work, but I think your inclination is probably right. If you leave a boat around, pirates are probably going to sink that shit. I would tend to think boat prices will probably end up being lower than what that are typically though. Crafters competing with each other would, I would think, drive prices down pretty fast. But yeah, boats in like week 1 will probably be really expensive.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    There was a time post-Renaissance where I missed the initial Trammel housing rush and had to live out of my boat for a while. It was actually kind of fun.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited January 2011
    Oh, here's one question I do have though:

When I did get back in to UO for a bit with my buddy on IPY 1.0, it took me a week to set everything up because to even be competitive I needed Razer and a bunch of plugins and a bunch of macros and shit setup to do stuff.

How is that gonna be handled with IPY 2.0? You said there will be a system in place to handle the macro crowd, making it better for people that actually play...but what about trying to actually police and ban people using stuff like Razer? Or are there parts of Razer (such as hot keys) that the developers don't mind? There are parts of Razer I like, there are other parts of it I'm like "Yah, this is flat cheating and sucks that everyone is doing it and I have to as well to keep up".

GnomeTank on
    edited January 2011
    I'm not up on all of the nuances of Razor, but I think there's a way for the client to disable certain Razor features. For the most part, I think fairness problems arose from other clients (Sallos, etc.) that won't be permitted, and EasyUO scripting. The staff has said that scripting is bannable outright, and that they have ways of detecting it from their end without intruding on player privacy. I think he's sort of been purposely ambiguous about how they plan to detect to prevent people from finding work-arounds.

But yeah, essentially it's fine to macro healing on your buddy or something like that, but it's going to be bannable to run a script that automates running around and mining ore.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    Razor will almost certainly not be banned. People can still use it, but macroing skill gains automatically will be curtailed due to skill gain caps.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited January 2011
    There was a time post-Renaissance where I missed the initial Trammel housing rush and had to live out of my boat for a while. It was actually kind of fun.

I vaguely recall reading on the blog somewhere that there'd be a system to rent rooms/property in towns. I could be totally wrong, but if that's in there it would definitely help players who would be living in a boat down by the river but for the threat of pirates.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    I keep spelling Razor Razer because of the EVE alliance we are allied with called Razer, le sigh.

Interesting stuff. I didn't even know there was a thing called EasyUO :P I also didn't know there were "other" clients.

GnomeTank on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I didn't know about other clients until I started following IPY2. Apparently there are clients that allow you to magically slide rather than walk, and auto-target and stuff like that.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah back in the day there was pretty much just UOAssist (which you had to pay for monthly and OSI/EA astoundingly allowed to function because it wasn't quite cheating) and EasyUO, which I believe at the time was run by Dr. Tiwzter's group, if any of you remember them. Those were the only two I remember when I quit the game, and since then others have sprung up, like Razor.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited January 2011
    Wow, I forgot UOA cost money. Those were the days. It took my 12-year-old self like a week to wrap my head around the idea of macroing. Now it's just so instinctive I forget people don't know what I'm talking about.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    UOA still costs money, looking back at the site. They don't say how much it is unless you're on the actual purchasing page, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's like $20 or even a recurring payment.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited January 2011
    That's crazy. I wonder if all the Japanese use UOA now too. I've heard like 50% of the people still playing production UO are in Japan. It's a shame because Razor is so much better imo.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    Also I edited to add the detectives feature. I forgot to include it in the OP, but it's a pretty big deal and a cool system.

amateursuperhero on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The pictures were enough for me :) That game was a blast but I was always one step behind of everyone else which usually resulted in being Corp Por'd to death out in the middle of nowhere.

Jubal77 on
    edited January 2011
    Haha yea, my introduction to UO was a guy taking me to his house outside guard zones, killing me with one e-bolt and saying "Welcome to UO." It was like a purely ritual killing, I had nothing at all on me.

Give it another go though man, with the piracy/PvP systems it gives more to do than just grief, making it easier for people to start up. Also, with skill gain the way it's going to be, you won't have the typical three or four powergamers dropping earthquakes in the brit graveyard on like day three.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    My intro to UO was through a guy I was in a Team Fortress (the first) clan with, who let me share his house and everything. I was one of the lucky people who started in Skara Brae, away from Britain and all the thieves and noto-PKers, so I didn't have to worry too much about on the "horrible newbie experience" front, and by the time I was actually in "civilization" (the urban sprawl northeast of Minoc) I was fairly well-developed as a character.

I remember T2A had just come out, and one of the first things my guild did was take me to the T2A zone, toss me a suit of GM studded leather with a crafted (but not GM) longsword and left me to fend for myself for a few days, answering questions via ICQ as needed.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am so fucking glad this is here i just came here to make this thread
    I'm ODB over there

also: you should add the new Smooth Boat Movement to the OP

RubberAC on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is so cool, definately going to play this. We should organize a PA presence.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • NativeSonNativeSon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    holy shit. my brother and i have been waiting for a game to match the UO we loved over 10 years ago.

this is amazing.

is the server pop high enough to do everything that's been discussed?

NativeSon on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah back in the day there was pretty much just UOAssist (which you had to pay for monthly and OSI/EA astoundingly allowed to function because it wasn't quite cheating) and EasyUO, which I believe at the time was run by Dr. Tiwzter's group, if any of you remember them. Those were the only two I remember when I quit the game, and since then others have sprung up, like Razor.

UOAssist was only like $5 or $10, one time pay, lifetime use. At the time, it was very worth it.

Dr. Twizter endorsed UOExtreme. It was basically UOA, but free. The stuff that it could do better than UOA were eventually fixed to the point where UOA and UOE weren't that different.

He also posted exploits and was generally a douche.

There were lots of other niche programs people made, too. My college roommate at the time crafted a program that macro'd for us while we slept / were at class (we macro'd taming trapped critters in our home :) ) and could "read" the journal.

If any GM tried to talk to us, it would see the GM portion of the name, say a "Gotta go!" and log us out. Worked perfectly.

Also utilized it to make the macro'd character respond to certain commands from other people, but it was very basic and just basic motions / bows stuff. Could lag it out really easily.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah, UOExtreme. I could've sworn UOAssist was a monthly fee, though. Either that or every so many revisions you'd have to pony up again.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited January 2011
    RubberAC wrote: »
    I am so fucking glad this is here i just came here to make this thread
    I'm ODB over there

also: you should add the new Smooth Boat Movement to the OP

Good call. Added.

amateursuperhero on
    edited January 2011
    NativeSon wrote: »
    holy shit. my brother and i have been waiting for a game to match the UO we loved over 10 years ago.

this is amazing.

is the server pop high enough to do everything that's been discussed?

I'm pretty confident the population will be where it needs to be when the launch to make all of the new stuff good. Az has said a couple of times that the first time around he could hardly find anyone to beta test, and as anyone who played knows, the IPY1 ended up bursting at the seams. This time he's getting swarmed by people wanting to test.

UO gamers recently launched a classic-esque server called Revelation. It's kind of fallen into obscurity now because of a bunch of absolutely terrible dev moves, but they had like 700-800 clients on for the first couple of weeks with absolutely no advertising. I follow UO pretty closely, and I had no idea about the server until a few weeks after it came out. So I think the interest in general is still there. Moreover, IPY has a reputation that other freeshards don't, because it got SO big and crazy the first time around. A ton of my friends who were very casual UO players are definitely playing IPY2, but if I was just like "hey, come play 'some random freeshard,'" they wouldn't in a million years. I think there are a lot of people like that, who would only ever really return to the game for IPY.

amateursuperhero on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd be down for helping out with a PA guild- the majority of my time will be spent on my Thief as i am garbage at PVP and also PVM and also crafting :3

RubberAC on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh god. Do not want to get sucked into this.

Will there be mounts? Please tell me there won't be mounts.

SeñorAmor on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There won't be mounts.

Edit: I have decided I will play a mage with alchemy and cartography as professions.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited January 2011
    RubberAC wrote: »
    I'd be down for helping out with a PA guild- the majority of my time will be spent on my Thief as i am garbage at PVP and also PVM and also crafting :3

Thieves are actually massively important with the new Order vs. Chaos system. You can rob enemy town treasuries. It's kind of like stealing sigils in factions, except your stealing lots of money instead of useless orbs.

amateursuperhero on
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes! A thousand times yes! I love this game and will line up in the snow to play it. I'm down to join whatever PA presence we muster up.

Khildith on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm so unsure about this...I invested a decade of my life into UO, and the best period of time was the pre pub16/AoS era.

Arg....

Anon the Felon on
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm so unsure about this...I invested a decade of my life into UO, and the best period of time was the pre pub16/AoS era.

Arg....

Do it! The worst that can happen is that it will ruin your life, and face it, what good is a life without UO?

Khildith on
    edited January 2011

Arg....

Make IPY 2 your very extended farewell to the game ;-)

I'm pumped to see all the old faces. I remember the first time around with IPY1, it blew my mind all the people I saw that I had lost contact with. UO is one of those games where you think "aw there's no way that guy is still around, he must be a grandfather by now," but there he is, cutting off your head and calling you a n00b.

amateursuperhero on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Argh, so tempting. Especially since I probably start traveling fairly often for work in about 4 weeks, and there's no reason why this shouldn't run on my laptop...

I miss my old shop. Had a little one on the road between Vesper proper and the Vesper cemetery. Would do a fair amount of blacksmithing at the forge in Britain as well to drum up business before I had that shop, and later just because it was habit and I enjoyed meeting new people there.

Things were never the same after Trammel opened, so I really don't feel bad about all the money I made placing houses in prime spots the evening it did open, and selling them on eBay. I got the ok to install the game at work for one night, and had it on 3 or 4 different computers as I ran back and forth recalling and placing, taking advantage of that T1 connection :)

Ketar on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The fair play system doesn't have any way to break the daily skill limit for crafting? Would it be possible to have a small chance for scrolls to be rewarded by filling bulk order deeds or some such?

E.Coyote on
    edited January 2011
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    The fair play system doesn't have any way to break the daily skill limit for crafting? Would it be possible to have a small chance for scrolls to be rewarded by filling bulk order deeds or some such?

I don't think so. They're pretty adamant about keeping crafting in particular really slow to make sure the player economy doesn't die out.

amateursuperhero on