As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crockity (slow-cooker)

2»

• KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love this thread. I have a crockpot and want to use it more but haven't been impressed with randomly googled crock pot recipes.

One that I do love is just a chicken breast or two covered with salsa. Cook for 8 hours on low, shred the chicken and serve over rice or potatoes (you can cook the potatoes with the chicken if you go that way).

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yes, making chili this way is a way to eat chili forever. It's good, but eventually your guts hate you.

Also, that's one of the recipes that doesn't work as well for me in the slow cooker. My normal chili recipe calls for a lot of beer, and in the crock pot it wasn't reduced at all, really, making the chili less tasty.

Hmmm... chili. We made some chili during the summer and froze almost all of it, so we would have it to eat during the winter. It's hard to get fresh tomatoes and other fresh ingredients during the winter.

Also, I don't make chili in the crock. I make it in a pot on the stove. I xfer it to a crock if I need to keep it warm and transport it somewhere (like the office chili cook-off).

Selner on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I dont have any specfic reciepes to post, since there is so many I use. I been using allrecipes for years now, it's my offical kitchen bible! It has tons and tons of slow cooker ideas (and more), it also has a search based on what you have on hand (for those days you think you can't make anything good with what you have on hand or on a tight budget).

If you do use the site, i also recommend reading people's comments before testing the reciepes. There is usually excellent suggestions/modifications to a reciepe your viewing.

Happy cooking!

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    An easy stroganoff recipe:
    2-3 pounds stew meat
    2 small cans (or one large can) condensed cream of mushroom soup
    small container of sour cream.

Toss the stew meat and the soup in a crockpot for 5-6 hours on low.
    20 minutes before you serve, mix in the sour cream.
    Season to taste (I like to add some pepper, but the soup has enough salt that it's not necessary to add more)

Serve over egg noodles or rice.

It may not be as awesome as some of the other recipes here, but it's tasty, easy and fairly cheap.

see317 on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Experiment!

This morning I put four short ribs (dry rubbed with a pepper/cumin/paprika/salt rub) in the crock pot.
    Pot is now on low for the day. Not quite sure how it is going to turn out.

The recipe called for oven cooking at 200 for five hours. We decided to crock it instead.

Selner on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Easy "mexican" chicken:

1. Put a can of black beans (drained) and a can of corn into your crockpot.
    2. PUt 2-3 chicken breasts on top.
    3. Put a jar of salsa on top of that.
    4. Cook on low 6-7 hours.
    5. Throw shredded cheddar/jack cheese on top before serving. Enjoy!

Peen on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks neyla for that link, I didn't actually have that handy.

And definitely thanks to everyone for their recipes.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Selner wrote: »
    Experiment!

This morning I put four short ribs (dry rubbed with a pepper/cumin/paprika/salt rub) in the crock pot.

The recipe called for oven cooking at 200 for five hours. We decided to crock it instead.
    hopefully it had some liquid in it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I took a pork shoulder, a bottle of rootbeer, and a bottle of BBQ sauce, and a few cloves +kosher salt, punched my shoulder with my tenderizer blade thing all over, lathered it in sauce and a bit of salt, dumped it in the pot with the rest of the BBQ and the bottle of rootbeer, then cooked some bacon in the oven (the BEST way to cook bacon I have discovered) wrapped the pork shoulder in it, then let it cook for 11 hours on low. At like 4 hours remaining I opened it and shredded with a fork, stirring the sauce up on it.

SO DELICIOUS. I made sandwiches, and there is no extra sauce needed, because it is glorious.

SniperGuy on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mts wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »
    Experiment!

hopefully it had some liquid in it

Why? The whole point of slow cooking is that you don't need liquid to cook.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited January 2011
    a crock pot isn't a little oven. its really suited for braising meat. he is going to come home and find his short ribs burnt and dry and have an awful mess to clean up.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Thanks neyla for that link, I didn't actually have that handy.

And definitely thanks to everyone for their recipes.

Your welcome <3

It's because of that site I got a wireless router so i can have the laptop in zee kitchen. It's even gotten my hubby to start cooking since it is also filled with so many simple reciepes. His nights to cook use to be pizza delivery or KD :P

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited January 2011
    Man someone needs to actually make a "how to cook meals in 20 minutes because you've had a long day at work so you don't have to resort to takeout" cookbook and actually make good recipes and not like "sandwhich night!" or "20 minutes of cooking and 1 hour of prep time" meals.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've found most quick cook real meals (like stir fry for example) require a fair amount of prep. So prep the night before, in the morning or at lunch.

If you have a recipe for slow cooker beef roast you can make it into a burgundy by adding mushrooms, pulling out the root veggies (except carrots), and put in (or replace the braising liquid with) a 60/40 mix of red wine and broth. Also I find pearl onions hold up better than regular onions in long slow cooks.

Djeet on
    edited January 2011
    On the subject of vegetables in the slow cooker, should I add them in so they're ready to go or cook an extra hour or something when I get home and add them then?

bowen on
    edited January 2011
    Also I know this has fuck-all to do with slow-cooking but what's a really nice way to cook grilled cheese without using tons of oil? I'm in the mood for it but I don't want it to be unhealthy, soggy, or just shitty.

Fried on a pan turns out well but, I'm sure that's unhealthy.

bowen on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    grilled cheese: use a non-stick frypan (edit: no oil, or just use butter and enjoy a nice grilled cheese).

veggies in the slow cooker: depends on the veggies. Tossing them in initially won't hurt, but some root veggies basically get cooked down to near baby-food consistency (carrots, parsnips, starchy potatoes). I use waxy potatoes so I can toss them in at the start, carrots I'll get home and then steam them and toss them in so they still have some resistance when you bite into them.

Djeet on
    edited January 2011
    That's the worst and why I don't like cooked vegetables. I love the crunch of carrots and beans and such.

bowen on
    edited January 2011
    Also I know this has fuck-all to do with slow-cooking but what's a really nice way to cook grilled cheese without using tons of oil? I'm in the mood for it but I don't want it to be unhealthy, soggy, or just shitty.

Try maybe rubbing the pan with olive oil? I have read about using it in popcorn instead of butter. Suppose to be alot better for you, maybe worth a shot!

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I use olive oil right now but I was hoping for a way not to fry it. But alas looks like I will have to savor the fried bread. I guess it sort of goes hand in hand kind of like french toast.

bowen on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man someone needs to actually make a "how to cook meals in 20 minutes because you've had a long day at work so you don't have to resort to takeout" cookbook and actually make good recipes and not like "sandwhich night!" or "20 minutes of cooking and 1 hour of prep time" meals.

Though hilarious in title, this book does have some decent recipes in it.

I've used a sandwich maker similar to this for making grilled cheese before. You can use real cheese, and cut down on the butter usage. Just a little on the outside of the sandwich, with some herbs for flavour.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited January 2011
    i usually just butter both sides of the bread and toss them on the pan that way. gives it that nice golden tan. nothing on the pan

edit

vegetables will depend on the type. big fat hunks of something dense can probably go in at the begining, but if doing it with meat i would probably put the meat down first then vegetables.

delicate stuff should wait until the end

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

George Foreman Grill.

No oil needed.

SmokeStacks on