As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Heroes of Shadow. Dhampyr Vryloka Vampire now possible.

• LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ^^ did you just link to 4chan

1D4chan, yes. It's a nice harmless link containing something really, really cool. I also picked up the link from here about a year or so ago.

Seriously, the cards contained within are really well done.

I'm frightened to venture further than that particular link though and it just sits in my bookmarks.

Lezta on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm new to this and I'm indignant.

Quid on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some of those card abilities are pretty cool, I must say

I shall steal all of them

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited January 2011
    Also I already have the Castle Ravenloft board game.

Quid on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Unless you do the whole event thing then this is all emminently ignorable. They even say it won't be compulsary in Encounters which is the only officially organised play I tend to hear about in here.

The arguments this will cause between a rational DM and that munchkin player in his group will be amusing though.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I'm really not liking this. If and when I do other games, I'm definitely not allowing them.

Terrendos on
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lezta wrote: »
    Sod WotC's offering, I'm just gonna keep using these.

These are awesome, especially when you start looking at the Gold and Platinum stuff. I'm using them in Worldship, though the players haven't gotten the chance to use what they've drawn yet. But that just means I'm not gonna worry about reducing the difficulty of an encounter just because two players are MIA.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Unless you do the whole event thing then this is all emminently ignorable. They even say it won't be compulsary in Encounters which is the only officially organised play I tend to hear about in here.

The arguments this will cause between a rational DM and that munchkin player in his group will be amusing though.

Compulsary? No, of course not.

You're not required to have any magic items on your character either, but if you're planning on being able to keep up, good players will use whatever tools available.

So the fact that they are allowed at Encounters means "why aren't you using them, oh god, why don't you have these" to many people psychologically. Which is the point of their money grab. Which is avoided by the DM saying NO, which is not the case for Encounters unfortunately.

Still, I doubt they will sell (I hope they don't), eventually they will get ignored I bet. Since Dark Sun, it seems like management has taken a shit on the D&D team with a prime directive of "make some money, fucktards" and now we are suffering through endless shit like content cancelations, online CB "enhancements", booster packs (wtf), etc.

I feel sorry for the people that actually care about D&D at Wizards.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Some of those card abilities are pretty cool, I must say

I shall steal all of them
    This is pretty much my reaction. I don't immediately hate the idea, but the implementation is insulting.

Of course, it's triggering all my Magic instincts, which is probably the point.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    :( I just don't understand why they don't push out content.

Why not just sell maps/encounters? I bet a lot of people would pay for modular 1 level adventurers which let the DM drop in NPCs/etc, and map packs.

streever on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wizards has recently gone incredibly stupid. Don't ask me why, but I am beginning to feel Dark Sun will be the last truly great achievement of this edition. What a shame.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why is everyone so surprised by this? I guess I should have linked to it but I mentioned it a a few days ago, in reference to the changes in the upcoming releases.
    And yes, it's silly.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
    edited January 2011
    This thread goes through cycles of normal discussion and then horror at whatever latest stupid decision wizards has done. A while ago this thread used to have excitement about things that were coming out - like Dark Sun. Now? I honestly can't tell you a single fucking thing this year I want other than the Gamma World expansion (some here won't even call that DnD). So I think Wizards efforts right now are pretty pathetic and they are doing themselves absolutely no favors whatsoever.

Aegeri on
    edited January 2011
    It's been a vicious cycle since August. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited January 2011
    Especially because essentials has been probably the most divisive thing Wizards has done since the release of 4E in the first place. Although it doesn't bother me that much, especially as MV was great it has given me a lot of worrying trends. Particularly in my (maybe unreasonable?) fear that epic tier support is going to die off heavily. Especially as MV has a pathetic 13 epic monsters and the next "monster" book is set in a heroic tier are (threats to Nentir Vale). I am quite concerned of another book with billions of heroic and paragon monsters, with epic getting screwed again (as I can't see that book having good options for epic tier antagonists frankly).

Aegeri on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah the upcoming release schedule is pretty abysmal, and I share the sentiments that Gamma World is the only thing on the horizon that looks like it's worth a damn.
    The booster pack thing is a joke, within weeks there were sites selling individual Gamma World cards for between 10 and 45 cents a pop, depending on 'rarity', and literally every card was available for purchase. I give it the same time frame or less for the same to happen to these.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I linked soxbox's thingy to the guy who'll probably be DMing our semilive Dark Sun game. I'm excited to possibly be getting this started in a couple weeks or so.

On that note, his boss (he works at gaming and costume store) is apparently lending him all the books he'll need to make this work, so if you're in Denver, stop by the Wizard's Chest, and give them some support, because they are awesome. And I like for my friends to be employed.
    It is a pretty fun place. Went there when we visited them last spring. The facade is a giant purple castle.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Wizards has recently gone incredibly stupid. Don't ask me why, but I am beginning to feel Dark Sun will be the last truly great achievement of this edition. What a shame.
    Why is everyone so surprised by this? I guess I should have linked to it but I mentioned it a a few days ago, in reference to the changes in the upcoming releases.
    And yes, it's silly.

We've known these were coming for quite awhile. We just didn't know the mechanics of them.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best part about this is that succeed or fail, I imagine the most cost effective way to deck build will, like Magic, be through Ebay and other second hand distributors. Of course someone has to crack those packs to get the cards on the market, but without the massive prize support the impetuous to do so will be lowered.

That said, my group is full of Magic players, and while they're not necessarily the best funded folks, if they pick this up I could see myself doing so as well.

... this could get bad.

215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "And lo..." is the best literary device ever.

Rius on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    streever wrote: »

Why not just sell maps/encounters? I bet a lot of people would pay for modular 1 level adventurers which let the DM drop in NPCs/etc, and map packs.

I would support something like this. Encounter packs that come with a map and the necessary tokens (or minis for the deluxe pack or something), cards for each of the monsters, and a quick sheet on how to set up the encounter. Charge 5 or 10 bucks or something, and you're done. Hell, even distribute it online with printable maps and tokens, charge a few bucks less, and get rid of printing costs.

I just don't understand their logic in things like this.

"People are playing D&D at their tables instead of card games. What should we sell them?"

"...Cards?"

"Genius!"

Denada on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I cannot think of a thing I have ever been more excited to not buy than D&D trading cards.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited January 2011
    Denada wrote: »

I would support something like this. Encounter packs that come with a map and the necessary tokens (or minis for the deluxe pack or something), cards for each of the monsters, and a quick sheet on how to set up the encounter. Charge 5 or 10 bucks or something, and you're done. Hell, even distribute it online with printable maps and tokens, charge a few bucks less, and get rid of printing costs.

I just don't understand their logic in things like this.

"People are playing D&D at their tables instead of card games. What should we sell them?"

"...Cards?"

"Genius!"

This has confused me since I bought the Thunderspire Labyrinth module. Inside the books are detailed and complicated diagrams of maps.

There are not, however, actual maps for me to use outside of a select few encounters. Which are a thing I'd actually happily give them more money for as an additional service.

Quid on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really would love to be a fly on the wall in their meetings to understand why they aren't going in a different direction with their add-on products. We've all had ideas that seem like obvious choices and seem like they would sell reasonably well. I'd love to be able to hear their reasoning for not producing them, because I can't imagine that they haven't thought of these things themselves.

Denada on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I cannot think of a thing I have ever been more excited to not buy than D&D trading cards.

What have you got against Spellfire cards, huh?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited January 2011
    The one saving grace I see is that, am I mistaken, or are these player only items? And as such, trading around cards (at least amongst a regular playgroup) shouldn't be too hard, as they're unlikely to explode in value like Magic cards have (the rarest and most powerful, of course), and people have a vested interest in their group being as powerful as it can be.

So it's a cooperative thing rather than a fully competitive thing unless you've got someone who's kind of a douchebag in the group.

... until they release the DM Card Set, at which point it full on becomes D&D Meets M:TG: Archenemy Edition.

Forar on
    edited January 2011
    There was a card set like this for 2E. Well, not exactly like this. It was more geared toward DMs, who could use it to randomly generate a dungeon, randomly populate it with monsters and randomly do treasure.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm planning a weird west Gamma World campaign set in the Mo Jav Hey Waste (Mojave Desert) and thought I'd share some of my ideas for those interested:

* Cerabull - A false dinosaur created from bull, rhinoceros and triceratops DNA by a genetic engineer (for some reason). The creature's frill protects a brain that is unusually large given the cerabull's low intelligence. Much of the oversized brain is devoted to triggering weak psionic effects, suggesting that the genetic engineer who created the cerabull didn't really know what he was doing. The brain requires excessive amounts of energy, meaning that the cerabull must frequently feed on energy-rich foods. The cerabull usually stuns its prey with a psychic attack before goring its victim to death with its horns and feeding on the remains (which, despite being given sharp teeth, is hard for the creature to do given that it was created from herbivorous creatures).
    * Bloodtoad – Evolution of the horned lizard that sprays poisonous blood on its prey. Bloodtoads hunt in packs, and the smell of their noxious blood on a creature increases their aggression.
    * Gammirage – Some natural sources of relatively clean water exist in the Mo Jav Hey Waste, but many sparklingly clear watering holes are actually covered by an ugly algae. The algae emits a strange chemical that tricks creatures into perceiving the contaminated pond as a beautiful oasis flanked by lush, green trees (although some creatures perceive other sources of refreshment, such as a soda machine). The algae then dissolves the victim's flesh. Some beings, such as robots, are immune to the gammirage's hallucinatory tricks.
    * The Ancient Burial Ground is haunted by ghosts! Actually, they're extradimensional creatures who exist halfway in Gamma Terra's dimension, and halfway in another. They're hanging around the Ancient Burial Ground because they're trying to obtain Ancient DNA for an unknown purpose.
    * An expansive underground ruin filled to the brim with ancient technology is hidden somewhere in the middle of Greenfolk territory.
    * What kind of creature a rider takes for a mount is a social statement; some people are known as slowriders, and others are known as roughriders.

I might be "doing it wrong" by adding any bit of seriousness to Gamma World, but I've decided that the campaign's theme will be an exploration of civilization vs anarcho-primitivism. This is mainly inspired by my personal reaction to the anarcho-primitivist view (which is basically "just because civilization has developed in some regrettable ways doesn't mean that civilization couldn't have turned-out better or can never become better"), as well as an exercise in applying the "sociological imagination" that I'm being taught in my sociology courses (primarily by giving the Restorationists a major role and exploring what steps they might take to avoid repeating the Ancients' mistakes).

* The Greenfolk, creatures that arrived on Gamma Terra after the Big Mistake, are currently engaged in an Eastward Expansion campaign. They are backed by an extremist sect of the New Dawn whose leader secretly believes that intelligent life is an aberration that must be eradicated.
    * The Greenfolk believe that their way of life is morally and ethically superior to all others and cooperates with the sect because it prevents the rise of civilizations that they believe are inferior (particularly ones that resemble the civilization of the Ancients). They are unaware that the sect's leader plans to destroy them once they have served their purpose in his plot.
    * The Greenfolk came from a worldline where the primal spirits exist, and they harbor some of the spirits' magic within themselves. The Greenfolk are searching for a way to open a portal back to their home dimension and allow the primal spirits to enter Gamma Terra.
    * Ideally, the campaign will end by defeating the extremist New Dawn sect and working-out a compromise between the Greenfolk and the new civilization being created by the Restorationists ("Live and let live").

Hexmage-PA on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Denada wrote: »
    I really would love to be a fly on the wall in their meetings to understand why they aren't going in a different direction with their add-on products. We've all had ideas that seem like obvious choices and seem like they would sell reasonably well. I'd love to be able to hear their reasoning for not producing them, because I can't imagine that they haven't thought of these things themselves.

I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about the industry but I know my FLGS makes a shitload more money off M:TG and Pokemon than any roleplaying games. I know WotC makes a huge profit off M:TG every year. Beancounters who know nothing of the actual products probably see "collectible" and rubber stamp it instantly.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    There was a card set like this for 2E. Well, not exactly like this. It was more geared toward DMs, who could use it to randomly generate a dungeon, randomly populate it with monsters and randomly do treasure.

I think that would be a more useful direction. Random tiles, random monsters, random treasure for DMs. You can have your "greenskins" pack (orc/goblin enemies), your loot packs, etc...

streever on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think that would be a more useful direction. Random tiles, random monsters, random treasure for DMs. You can have your "greenskins" pack (orc/goblin enemies), your loot packs, etc...

Hahaha, no. I'm not going to purchase a set of D&D tiles without knowing I'm getting the sort of tiles I want.

DarkPrimus on
    edited January 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Hahaha, no. I'm not going to purchase a set of D&D tiles without knowing I'm getting the sort of tiles I want.
    These weren't random. It was a boxed set.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011

Yea--by random I meant, "you can randomly draw them to create a dungeon/environment". Ideally you'd buy them in sets like I said--greenskins, loot, sewers, cityscapes, castles, etc.

streever on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The problem, from a suits point of view, is that there are far less DMs than there are players. You don't pick the smaller of the options to market to.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there were these, too:

8fMD

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Those already have direct 4E analogs, though.

OptimusZed on

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yes but whatever you're talking about wasn't in my bookcase at hand :P

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011

Yea--by random I meant, "you can randomly draw them to create a dungeon/environment". Ideally you'd buy them in sets like I said--greenskins, loot, sewers, cityscapes, castles, etc.

They do have those to a degree. I know there are tile sets for creating urban, dungeon, and wilderness settings.

Quid on
    edited January 2011
    Prior work with cards is nothing relevant.

What makes these cards different is the CCG aspect, which is (a) impacting actual gameplay and (b) collectible aka booster packs.

Providing cards for your spells is very old, and is the same as the power cards, and official or not they are handy tools, not game additions intended to drive sales continually. You make your power cards and they're done, nothing random, nothing big to miss out on, nothing preventing you from making your own. (Try bringing your own homemade cards to Encounters and you'll see the difference pretty quick.)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited January 2011
    I browsed the article earlier, but didn't see any mention of deck size or composition rules. Even with this being a cooperative addition (*coughfornowcough*) to the game, I wonder what they'll be like. If they wanted to keep it player friendly they'd probably go with the "no more than one card of the same name in a deck, 20'ish card decks"... HA HA HA HA HA HA. Whew, I must've been eating LSD at lunch. 60 card decks, 4 cards of the same name allowed, Rares are the best in most cases but for a few shitty ones to give us "no, not all the best cards are rare" plausible deniability, and a few years from now when this has taken off BAM, Mythic Rares.

The follow up to that in a couple years? Cards that work as both Magic AND D&D cards, sucking in even more players from both sides and driving the prices up of the 'chase rares/mythics' as you expand your market's desire for the packs/cards where there wasn't already overlap.

Hail Satan indeed.

Forar on