As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Too Old For This [chat]

• taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    i require a MTG nerd for questions!

Oh hai.

now i don't play much, but i like thematic decks etc

would it be possible to sort of make a decent deck with these ideas?

only creature spell is insects

you have a lot of things like giant growth that makes them big and lets them trample

also throw in a bit of infection mechanics?

like radioactive b movie monster deck

it would most likely be black/green right?

In what context? You can make a casual deck with anything (hell i can even take a look at magiccards.info and make a couple suggestions if you want) but i really don't think insects could be a competitive deck right now. Infect maybe but still might only be good for casual or block just bc there aren't that many infect spells and some of them are pretty inefficient.

taoist drunk on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to have a Skype interview at 3 for a scholarship opportunity and I'm not prepared I just woke up what should I do!

I'm gonna go take a shower but peoples tell me how I should behave and dress :o Never had a skype interview before

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just had some eggs sunny side up, topped with green onions and fresh salsa with a side of whole wheat sourdough bread to sop up the yolk and with a tall glass of fresh orange juice which I hand squeezed myself while the eggs were cooking.

Breakfast.

God I love you.

Inquisitor on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    T: sammich

hmmm

i mean i do love me some infect mechanics

You might enjoy a Jund deck. It was from the Alara cycle a few back. Red Green Black. Lots of little cheap goblins and shit then some huge dragons and wurms and nasty shit that can devour your own creatures to get stronger.

I feel like the triple pull of three mana would mess with me

cool idea, but again I am looking for theme here

and that theme was giant insects

It requires you use more non basic land and alternate mana sources. Alara gave people a ton of these, and a three mana deck isn't hard if you're using green.

You could also try looking up Thallids if that appeals to you. Giant green fungal monsters that bud and multiply.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    somebody gimme some good motown music

A good start?

Passerbye on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ohai taoist

in context of semi casual play

how many creature type-insect cards are there?

I may not ever make this, i am just interested

Arch on
    edited January 2011
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I'm going to have a Skype interview at 3 for a scholarship opportunity and I'm not prepared I just woke up what should I do!

I'm gonna go take a shower but peoples tell me how I should behave and dress :o Never had a skype interview before

Isn't skype like, a phone? How are they gonna see you?

Inquisitor on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    Someday I will watch Babylon 5.

Probably the greatest sci-fi show ever made, and it created arc based shows.

However, I'm not sure how it'd be going into it now. The acting is frequently pretty poor, and it had a budget lower then most british soaps.

very cool execution for a tv based space opera but yeah, the acting was pretty much terrible.

Anyone watch Earth: Final Conflict? I really enjoyed a couple of seasons of that although it too had bad production values and some questionable action.

Dynagrip on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    somebody gimme some good motown music

I don't know if this is properly motown, but some cursory google searching seems to suggest it might be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nzutqg3b84

japan on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony when you said The Collector I thought you wrote that awesome horror movie that came out last year.

I was getting excited.

I've never seen your Canadian television, except for Degrassi

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Act street.

If they think you're from a rough urban neighbourhood they are more like to Good Will Hunting your ass into some free school bucks.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I just had some eggs sunny side up, topped with green onions and fresh salsa with a side of whole wheat sourdough bread to sop up the yolk and with a tall glass of fresh orange juice which I hand squeezed myself while the eggs were cooking.

Breakfast.

God I love you.

Food would be nice. Stupid stomach, stop rebelling!

Just regular navel oranges?

Passerbye on
    edited January 2011
    ohai taoist

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+[%22Insect%22]

Inquisitor on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ohai taoist

Look like about 104

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Huh nice I got accepted to try the rift beta this weekend.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited January 2011
    oh my god this was a mistake

i am terrible and fat and plain and it will cost like a bazillion dollars to try to make me look presentable yorkdale has like two stores i can use and they're both stupid expensive

i fucking hate shopping, i hate that a thin lady can walk into any store and try stuff on while i'm fucked, i hate my body, i hate missing out on that whole female experience of shopping, i am just frustrated

First, obligatory that's bullshit and no you're not

Second, I still get this a lot too, I never go shopping when I'm feeling crappy cause I know I will feel worse and even when I feel okay shopping still makes me feel crappy when I'm trying things on and I look fat and lumpy and not like the size 0 over there

But you have to do it long enough to find places that don't do that. I don't know a lot about Canada but if you have an equivalent to Marshall's, find it. I love Marshall's.

Hakkekage on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    hmmm, do = too...that's not a good sign.

Dynagrip on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Godfrey Daniels, this is the last straw.
    I flipped my eggs that morning using only my bare hand, and while it hurt a bit, I consider that the pain of a "natural kitchen" rebirth. I gave up cooking utensils that day and never looked back.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited January 2011
    Passerbye wrote: »

Breakfast.

God I love you.

Dunno, my friend brought 'em over last night for boardgame night. Picked 'em from trees in his backyard.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2011

it's a video chat...

Fluffy: Unfortunately it is a merit-based scholarship

Hakkekage on
  • taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ohai taoist

166.jpg

Here is a list of all the insect-type cards ever printed, looks like 103 of them. I'm sure most of them would be p cheap, Ant Queen is like a quarter I think.

taoist drunk on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I flipped my eggs that morning using only my bare hand, and while it hurt a bit, I consider that the pain of a "natural kitchen" rebirth. I gave up cooking utensils that day and never looked back.

What

RMS Oceanic on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    awesome

someone gimme some chitown blues

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited January 2011
    Cass, you're lovely. And a little neurotic, but I think that's part of the appeal. <3

Passerbye on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_t56jJOcNk&feature=BF&list=QL&index=9

HERE I COME WHEN I BETTER GO
    I SAY YES WHEN I OUGHTA SAY NO

MrMister on
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    I think Pony got hit by the rage stick.

There's few things that rage me out more than bad serial writing.

I'm a writer. I have, in fact, written TV before. I don't talk about it a whole lot but it is a thing I've done. Point is, when you are doing a serial TV series I think you have an obligation as a writer not to make shit up as you go along.

Episodic TV series, or episodic TV series with the occasional story arc thrown in, are a little different since they're more about the status quo than an ongoing meta-plot.

But BSG was a serial show, like Lost. Every episode followed the previous, and with a few exceptions none of the episodes are self-contained stories you could just drop from the show without missing anything in the future.

When you are writing a show like that, I think you better fucking make sure you know what you are doing. If you are going to foreshadow plot threads, actually know where they are going. Don't just leave dangling hints you later come back and try to weave together like it's what you meant to do all along, because trust me it fucking shows, at the very least it shows to a writer and especially someone who has worked on TV some.

To be fair though it's quite hard to tell an entire story when you are unsure of how many seasons and episodes you need to fill/are limited by. It's like being told that you have to "write a book, of a certain number of words. But here's thing, we won't tell you how many words you have to write with until you've written 75% of the book already and have submitted it and can't edited it in the slightest".

Did you rage as badly with Lost because that was a lot more "made up as we go along" than BSG ever was.

edit: britain largely solves this by having 6 episode long seasons, which I like quite a bit.

I watched the first season of Lost and then stopped.

In theory, I will finish it at some point but uh... from everything I've heard it meanders terribly and the plot is exploded so massively that you have to watch multiple episodes to see even a small increment of plot advancement.

That's like climbing up to the top of a tower and screaming at the top of your lungs that you don't know where it's going and you're making it up as you go along.

Lost was great in season 1, good in the first half of season 2, then from the second half of season 2 till the season 3 finale it was a lot of bullshit and filler because they didn't know how many episodes they had to write material for and so couldn't move the story very fast.

Then season 4, 5 and 6 were pretty fucking great.

Season 4 has one of my favourite episodes of any tv show of all time.

i dig season 2 but it gets slow. 3 is great at the beginning and the end, it drags in the middle; note that i didn't start watching "live" until the end of season 3, i'd watched 1 and 2 on DVD and most of 3 online. i think towards the end of season 3 is when they announced the shoq would be 6 seasons so they had a vague idea of where the hell they were going and the show picked back up. 4 and 5 are fucking GREAT, 6 i waver. it gets great like 4 or 5 episodes in.

retrovm on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    innnteresting

how many cards like stampeded or whatever are there (that give all your cards +something and trample?)

Arch on
    edited January 2011

it's a video chat...

Just say you don't have a webcam, BAM.

Inquisitor on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony when you said The Collector I thought you wrote that awesome horror movie that came out last year.

I was getting excited.

I've never seen your Canadian television, except for Degrassi

yeah i should've been more specific

technically most of what i did on the Collector is script doctoring, not writing proper

but i did participate in some of the episode writing, but because i was non-guild and i was an arrogant little fuck without an agent i got screwed over and got no credit

i got money from it, not a lot, but they did pay me. what i didn't get was credit so i am bitter about that

(to be clear i am not bitter about being uncredited for script doctoring because script doctors don't get credit usually, it's more the actual contributions i am bitter about)

the stuff with Space was much more infuriating. i don't know if i can express how disappointing it is to get all excited that your own TV show is being made, that you wrote, and you tell your family and your friends and you go to all these fancy meetings and you meet with casting people and you sit in on casting aaaaand

then you get a call one day and they're like "yyyyeah we're not going to greenlight the pilot after all, we decided not to front the money sorry"

Pony on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I wear size 22 pants, I'm fat. I feel like that's a straight up fact. like if I went into a non-plus sized Yorkdale store they would laugh me out of there.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited January 2011
    awesome

someone gimme some chitown blues

Indeedly-doo.

Passerbye on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    oh my god this was a mistake

i am terrible and fat and plain and it will cost like a bazillion dollars to try to make me look presentable yorkdale has like two stores i can use and they're both stupid expensive

i fucking hate shopping, i hate that a thin lady can walk into any store and try stuff on while i'm fucked, i hate my body, i hate missing out on that whole female experience of shopping, i am just frustrated

Of the three terms you used to describe yourself, I bet overweight is the only one with any truth behind it. You are neither terrible or plain, stop thinking of yourself as such.

One of the bigger societal problems is that right now obesity has become the realm of the poor (at least in America) so folks are expected to do their shopping at Wal Mart or Target, with occasional trips to Lane Bryant if they want to "look presentable". There is very little business for companies to chase to make mid level stuff for that population. The intertrons help, but you can't really try stuff on at any reasonable schedule, and you end up sending half the clothes back most of the time because you don't look good and they don't fit, making one shopping trip last for weeks, potentially.

I guess the question is, how do you fix this for yourself? I've been caught in despair pits before, and finding some way to claw out of it has always helped me to deal with the issue that currently plagues me.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

just keep the upper half fancy!

retrovm on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

it's a video chat...

Fluffy: Unfortunately it is a merit-based scholarship

Than talk in a sexy voice and wear sexy things. That only improves your chances.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I learned this morning that Jason Bateman and Will Arnett kind of do advertising short films on a site called dumbdumb.com

They're somewhat funny, but really, they just make me want to watch Arrested Development again. The ad parts of them make me feel dirty, though. Really dirty.

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited January 2011
    Passerbye wrote: »

Breakfast.

God I love you.

Dunno, my friend brought 'em over last night for boardgame night. Picked 'em from trees in his backyard.

Nice.

Passerbye on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    retrovm wrote: »

Lost was great in season 1, good in the first half of season 2, then from the second half of season 2 till the season 3 finale it was a lot of bullshit and filler because they didn't know how many episodes they had to write material for and so couldn't move the story very fast.

Then season 4, 5 and 6 were pretty fucking great.

Season 4 has one of my favourite episodes of any tv show of all time.

i dig season 2 but it gets slow. 3 is great at the beginning and the end, it drags in the middle; note that i didn't start watching "live" until the end of season 3, i'd watched 1 and 2 on DVD and most of 3 online. i think towards the end of season 3 is when they announced the shoq would be 6 seasons so they had a vague idea of where the hell they were going and the show picked back up. 4 and 5 are fucking GREAT, 6 i waver. it gets great like 4 or 5 episodes in.

Yeah they found out towards the end of season 3 which is why everything just suddenly became 10000 times better.

Daxon on
    edited January 2011
    innnteresting

how many cards like stampeded or whatever are there (that give all your cards +something and trample?)

There a green enchant for 2 mana that gives all your creature trample. Can't remember the name right now.

Exodus or Stronghold I think.

But there are a million green spells that buff and give trample.

Try Tower Above.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2011
    innnteresting

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&type=|[%22Sorcery%22]|[%22Instant%22]&text=+[Trample]

Inquisitor on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

What

That is as silly as that guy that was blogging for a while about his "minimalist lifestyle" that required him to own less than 100 things. This was because he was mooching of his girlfriend and he would make use of the things she owned that he didn't.

It may put this in some perspective if I add that two of his 100 things were a fixie and a macbook.

japan on
This discussion has been closed.