As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Heroes of Shadow. Dhampyr Vryloka Vampire now possible.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While I suppose there might be more that we haven't heard about yet so far the shallowness of the mechanic environment for these cards....

I don't see how "Deck Construction" could be at all comparable.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't have minded the card system if they'd just implemented, say, a single deck of these like the Drama Cards, and you bought the one deck for the entire group. But the "buy some booster packs!" aspect just makes me want to vomit.

Magic is a good game. I like Magic, and I play it occasionally. But this is taking aspects of Magic that I dislike and haphazardly attaching them to a game I very much like in a way that at least looks like a cash grab.

Terrendos on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Denada wrote: »
    I really would love to be a fly on the wall in their meetings to understand why they aren't going in a different direction with their add-on products. We've all had ideas that seem like obvious choices and seem like they would sell reasonably well. I'd love to be able to hear their reasoning for not producing them, because I can't imagine that they haven't thought of these things themselves.

I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about the industry but I know my FLGS makes a shitload more money off M:TG and Pokemon than any roleplaying games. I know WotC makes a huge profit off M:TG every year. Beancounters who know nothing of the actual products probably see "collectible" and rubber stamp it instantly.

Yeah, it's the same for my FLGS. Well... F. "one-hour-drive-over-the-mountains" GS anyway.

My only guess as for why: I think perhaps WotC... okay maybe we should be honest and stop saying WotC. Hasbro makes more money marketing to people who are not like me. I purchase this bizarre glitch that exists on their product shelf.

Hell, there may be history here. TSR self-destructed while making things that I enjoyed and would pay for! Perhaps my demographic is poison. That little oddball on the shelf may not be doing them any favors and is thus in need of a serious makeover... or constant tweaking to make it perform.

I think that there might be a wider, larger, or otherwise more cash-ified market of consumers whom they are wooing, and I (someone who has played D&D a lot) am clearly not in that market. I'm a nerd. I inexplicably buy that loser product.

My idea of what constitutes a tabletop roleplaying game is based upon... more years than i care to admit playing these games, particularly D&D. When it comes to D&D, I have some pretty concrete ideas about complexity and polyhedrons.

Someone, say -- well like a normal person, not some wierdo who plays pretend adventures with other nerds and worse yet discusses it on the internet -- that someone might have similar tastes as me but is not going to want the same game that I do.

For example we both like Lord of the Rings. Fuck yeah, what's not to like. Epic fantasy adventure and elves and dwarves and shit up ins. One of us (me) will shell out a bunch of money for three books, dice (and unspeakable accessories) to play a pretend epic fantasy adventure game... and the other of us is actually much more sensible, saying 'fuck that' and buying the essence of that experience boxed up nicely with what they need.

Probably I should have just pointed at today's PATV thing, which is where they wrote the "We don't know anything about videogames anymore." comic.

I'm open to the idea that I don't know anything about tabletop roleplaying games anymore.

Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While I suppose there might be more that we haven't heard about yet so far the shallowness of the mechanic environment for these cards....

I don't see how "Deck Construction" could be at all comparable.

As I said, it'll be important once they create the DM Only Deck extension/expansion. >.>

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.

Please don't ever stop being on meds. :lol:

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I doubt these Fortune Cards are going to do very well.

DarkPrimus on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps my demographic is poison.

I think it's safe to say that as a demographic, RPG customers are definitely poison. Self-entitled, whiny, half-insane customers who demand the most ridiculous things of companies out to make a profit.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    There was a card set like this for 2E. Well, not exactly like this. It was more geared toward DMs, who could use it to randomly generate a dungeon, randomly populate it with monsters and randomly do treasure.
    Oh yeah, I've got that; it was called Warhammer Quest wasn't it? :P

Really though, I kinda hope GW pulls its finger out and gets around to making another one of those, even if it's a super-limited edition like Space Hulk. I will buy two and make a humongous, completely random, dungeon, just because.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That was beautifully put, Horseshoe.

Depressing, especially since it feels so true, but beautiful.

(stolen for sig)

Themindtaker on
    edited January 2011
    On an unrelated topic, I actually ran into someone that tried to play the "I play 3.5 edition, 4th edition hinders role playing" card.

My response: "no, they just balanced the curve between martial and caster classes, made it so wizards could do more per day than fire off a handful of spells before they got to mid levels and began rending the fabric of the universe itself in twain, and so that the martial classes did more than get to swing their sword an extra time per attack at later levels. I don't need a book to tell me how to barter with an innkeeper or argue with a Lord about objectives being completed whether they liked it or not."

He kind of hung his head and we began discussing other things.

Not a bad kinda guy, just a friend of a friend who seemed kind of missinformed or ignorant to the actual updates made.

Hell, it's the little things I like. Like not having to roll challenging defenses all the damned time. I have a Will Defense, you may try to beat it if you like, and we proceed from there.

Which, on a related note, wasn't there a page/forum post where someone very clearly laid out a succinct list of ways that 4th edition improved upon 3/3.5?

Note: I am NOT trying to start an edition war (hell, I daresay the vast majority of us are 4th edition converts at this point), just thought it made for an amusing annecdote.

Edit: I also made a point of NOT saying anything bad about his game or the older editions. I wasn't "badwrongfun'ing" him, but the point he made about 4E was somewhat silly.

Forar on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I doubt these Fortune Cards are going to do very well.

You doubt, or you hope?

God I hope they crash & burn.

My reaction amounted to some combination of horror and total confusion. If they wanted to make a D&D CCG... why not just make a D&D CCG? Why slap a CCG appendage onto their flagship roleplaying game?

If this Fortune line takes off, I see this as having the potential to mutate D&D into something very different (imagine buying 5E's core books, plus some obligatory starter decks, plus running off to eBay to hunt down Rares & Omega-Rares).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Foil Holy Avengers for everyone.

Probad on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Although I'm more inclined to think everyone will sort of just ignore these cards and they'll eventually fade into the realm of "Oh well that didn't work", if they do have the sort of apocalyptic "what is D&D anymore!?" effect, I wonder what our Pathfinder will be called? And who will publish it?

Denada on
    edited January 2011
    OK, fortune cards; they come in booster packs just like any other CCG right? Where are the FLGS's going to put them?
    On the shelf with the CCGs or on the shelf with the D&D books?

So what happens when FLGS's start feeding back customer complaints that their new "CCG" isn't very collectible and is also not a card game? What does the guy on the staff who's not really into D&D say to customers when presented with this issue?

I mean, I totally get the logic behind this - after all, only one in five players buys the books, more or less, because the DM only buys DM stuff and the players only buy the PH with their class in it and/or share at the table, so Wizards wants a product that every player will want and want in multiples. Thus, CCG-style cards, because CCG cards are incredibly profitable and WotC in particular has decades of experience in making them to draw on. I just don't think anyone bothered to check whether CCG players and RPG players were in fact the same demographic or not...

Mr_Rose on
    edited January 2011
    Probad wrote: »
    Foil Holy Avengers for everyone.

Items you can't have/enter into the database without owning a special card with a scatch off space for a code, a la the items you can import from the card game into the online game for WoW!

Guys, we could make a killing!

Forar on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Although I'm more inclined to think everyone will sort of just ignore these cards and they'll eventually fade into the realm of "Oh well that didn't work", if they do have the sort of apocalyptic "what is D&D anymore!?" effect, I wonder what our Pathfinder will be called? And who will publish it?

PathRoad to TrueFun.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in the process of creating a "mutation deck" for monsters in Gamma World and just came-up with one I especially like (not all of them are this effective or extensive, BTW).

Nanobot Outbreak (creature must not possess the robot keyword)
    "Your barbed wire wrapped metal pipe pulps the badder's face. Unbeknownst to you, the creature was a carrier for rogue nanobots. In a last ditch effort to protect their host, the nanobots transform the badder into a cyborg in mere seconds!"
    Triggered Action (Immediate Reaction)
    Trigger: The creature is bloodied.
    Effect: The creature regains 10 hit points. It permanently gains the robot keyword, darkvision, immune poison, resist 5 electricity, and resist 5 radiation.

Hexmage-PA on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think in your heart, you already know. :!:

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps my demographic is poison.

I think it's safe to say that as a demographic, RPG customers are definitely poison. Self-entitled, whiny, half-insane customers who demand the most ridiculous things of companies out to make a profit.

Yes!

That is indeed the poison I spoke of.

edit: man I am trying to imagine the heightened level of disdain i would have for the official forums if i worked for wotc. shudder.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    OK, fortune cards; they come in booster packs just like any other CCG right? Where are the FLGS's going to put them?

So what happens when FLGS's start feeding back customer complaints that their new "CCG" isn't very collectible and is also not a card game? What does the guy on the staff who's not really into D&D say to customers when presented with this issue?

I mean, I totally get the logic behind this - after all, only one in five players buys the books, more or less, because the DM only buys DM stuff and the players only buy the PH with their class in it and/or share at the table, so Wizards wants a product that every player will want and want in multiples. Thus, CCG-style cards, because CCG cards are incredibly profitable and WotC in particular has decades of experience in making them to draw on. I just don't think anyone bothered to check whether CCG players and RPG players were in fact the same demographic or not...

I really don't find this logical at all, to be honest. I mean, for starters, most players I know will just spend the extra money to get the whole core set if they're going to buy any of the hard copies at all because then they're getting a deal. More players than that, though, are just going to end-up using Character Builder & subscribing to D&D Insider - which is a regular flow of cash.

...So who's the guy who looks at this regular paycheck and says, "Okay. We're going to take this money and invest it in a pretty high risk CCG module for the game?"

To me, it can only be someone who doesn't understand the difference between the CCG market & the RPG market.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I really don't find this logical at all, to be honest. I mean, for starters, most players I know will just spend the extra money to get the whole core set if they're going to buy any of the hard copies at all because then they're getting a deal. More players than that, though, are just going to end-up using Character Builder & subscribing to D&D Insider - which is a regular flow of cash.

...So who's the guy who looks at this regular paycheck and says, "Okay. We're going to take this money and invest it in a pretty high risk CCG module for the game?"

To me, it can only be someone who doesn't understand the difference between the CCG market & the RPG market.

In this case, that "someone" works for the company that owns Dungeons & Dragons and also Magic: the Gathering.

The two games that define what CCGs and RPGs are to a large extent.

It may not make sense to me, but I'm willing to believe they understand the difference and know what they're doing.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    High risk? One guy could come up with those cards in a week and I'm sure their MtG factories are established enough that the unit cost is small.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2011

...And CCG customers (heck, most customers) aren't? :P

Seriously, the vast majority of D&D customers make pretty reasonable criticisms of the product line & are pretty rational when it comes to extra trinkets that WotC/Hasbro want to sell. There are loud mouthed silly geese too, but that's the same with just about every demographic. Heck, look at what happened when Coke released New Coke.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011

If the situation truly becomes some sort of apocalypse or singularity, the open source role playing game of the future will become sentient and publish itself.

But eventually... when its own customers turn against it and it must survive... it'll be all terminator. Except the robots will look like orcs and beholders.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Now I hope this CCG shit brings about great changes, cause the RPG reckoning sounds cool.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited January 2011
    High risk? One guy could come up with those cards in a week and I'm sure their MtG factories are established enough that the unit cost is small.

Yes, high risk - the cards might be cheap, but the production cost is (usually) pretty high for individual pieces of artwork, layout design, etc.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011

OK, I'm going to say this again: Wizards wants a product that every single D&D player will want at least one of, preferably more.
    That is the core logic here; sell something to every player instead of to every fifth player. If you can manage that you've theoretically expanded your market 400% and that looks good on a marketing pitch.

And I also said that I don't think they did their research properly; i.e. they don't think it's high-risk.
    Plus, and this is the real key, we don't actually know what the cost/revenue sheet says about DDi. If it isn't actually profitable, this could be an example of a desperation move.

Mr_Rose on
    edited January 2011
    In this case, that "someone" works for the company that owns Dungeons & Dragons and also Magic: the Gathering.

It may not make sense to me, but I'm willing to believe they understand the difference and know what they're doing.

If they know the difference, why try to churn out a volatile cash-grab product within the RPG line? Saying, "Well, they're from WotC/Hasbro, so they must know!" is just an appeal to authority, not an argument.

The RPG market is very 'blue chip', if you like. You don't get the sort of exciting sales booms that you'll get with (successful) CCGs whenever new sets are released, but you'll get steady sales over a long period of time with just one or two solid products.

If Wizards is saying, "Well, we don't like/can't tolerate the blue chip income anymore - we want the rock star approach of M:tG sales for absolutely everything!" :

A) They're not being realistic

B) They don't understand the difference between the two markets

I would understand it if they said, "We don't like/can't tolerate the blue chip income anymore, so we're giving up the D&D RPG line," (It'd be upsetting, but whatever - it's their product to continue, alter or abandon) - but them trying to blend the two things together is really bizarre.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    as a Star Wars gamer familiar with the death of games I wouldn't be upset at all if they quit on 4E now. I have all I need since the release of Dark Sun.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yes, high risk - the cards might be cheap, but the production cost is (usually) pretty high for individual pieces of artwork, layout design, etc.

Nah. All those guys are already on staff and I'm sure the on card art will be recycled. The more I think about it the more I reckon I'd greenlight it too if I was Mr Hasbro. It's a small cost risk for what might become a good money spinner if it works and I bet it went from design doc to production within a month.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2011
    Eh. The issue is that very few of the books they publish are actually "Blue Chip" or "Evergreen" in that they will continually sell at decent volume.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited January 2011
    Nah. All those guys are already on staff and I'm sure the on card art will be recycled. The more I think about it the more I reckon I'd greenlight it too if I was Mr Hasbro. It's a small cost risk for what might become a good money spinner if it works and I bet it went from design doc to production within a month.
    This would be a viable hypothesis as to what happened to the schedule this year. Sometime in the last little while a suit said "Make it happen by April." Then suddenly everybody had a new project!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited January 2011

If they know the difference, why try to churn out a volatile cash-grab product within the RPG line? Saying, "Well, they're from WotC/Hasbro, so they must know!" is just an appeal to authority, not an argument.

oh please don't get all logic jargon on it

calling this venture by hasbro/wizards (oh man... Hasbro Wizards... new favorite term) a "volatile cash grab product" by people who "don't know the difference between the CCG market and RPG market" is at least as uninformed as my retort

i was about to say ah fuck it why reply but

dude I just said Hasbro Wizards

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Has Bro, Wi' Zards.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually like the booster pack of fortune cards. They would be a nice reward to pass out to players for completing specific milestones in a face to face game.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I'm saddened by those cards, same as the rest of you.

It's obvious why they made them - CCG mechanics are one of the cleverest, most evil moneymakers ever.

But I'm 40 years old, I've been in highish level management in a corporation in my time, and let me tell you companies do stupid shit at all the time.

I think companies are so powerful in our life that we hope they know what they're doing. Let me tell you, they don't.

So god knows whether this will make a packet for WOTC or not. For their core customers, I'd guess it's a PR disaster. Even people who play D&D and Magic won't want the mechanics to mix. The very obvious 'spend money to win at D&D' aspect alienates anyone who cares about RPGs.

Essentially, if this is financially successful it will do massive long-term damage to the brand. D&D will stop being a normal RPG and be this hybrid CCG/RPG monstrosity that people will laugh about.

And eventually they'll want to do another edition, and people won't want to buy the books any more.

This is a short-term cash-grab which may make them money, might well not (and none of us can tell without seeing accurate marketing data), and definitely will hurt D&D income long-term.

It makes me wonder about their financial liquidity. This and some of the cancellations smack of the decisions people make when they're in trouble. My industry has seen a lot of bankruptcies in the last two years, so I've spent a lot of time hunting for those signs.

<sigh>

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    I actually like the booster pack of fortune cards. They would be a nice reward to pass out to players for completing specific milestones in a face to face game.

See except that is not the market intention.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There was actually a D&D CCG at one point, based on Planescape. There were also D&D collectible cards which just had like NPC, monster, and item stats.

Incenjucar on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They haven't canceled books just yet btw, they have just moved them around in the schedule.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok so for some reason the forums aren't letting me search so I can't find where info about CB Loader is in the thread. Can anyone point me in the right direction or PM me what I need to know?

Also, last I read Essentials wasn't available yet but Dark Sun features were, correct?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png