As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Outlook 2010 is a steaming pile of shit

L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duckMinnesotaRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Unfortunately, I have to use it. And yes, I'm angry.

My Googlefu must be failing me, since I just cannot find the answer anywhere. I hope someone here can answer me.

I have two accounts set up for mine. There is the first one that came on it, that was set up by one of our IT guys. That's fine and cool and all.

But I've had to go offsite for like two weeks now, and I've been given an email address at this other place for the duration.
However, Outlook is a steaming piece of utter stupid-assed shit.

In the second account, the bitch account, I cannot seem to add Categories. The icon doesn't even appear in the stupid ribbon. In the first account, it shows up in this tab that says 'Tags.' However, in the bitch account, the fucking button isn't even there. WTF? And there doesn't appear to be any way to make that one stupid button appear, nor apply anything like a 'Category' to email. Just a Follow-up Flag.
Can anyone help me make this bastard add Categories so that my email can be actually filtered into categories?

And now comes the fun part. The goddamned address book. I can sync it perfectly fine with the first account. However, it won't even fucking acknowledge the other account. I have contacts that go between them, but I can't get them sorted. I also cannot download the contacts for the other place, without merging it into my first place. How the fuck do you outsmart such a stupid piece and get it to work as normal, with a mutually address book between the two and get it to download the global address book for the bitch account?

Can anyone help me, please? Or are these things not possible?

L Ron Howard on

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've not used Outlook 2010, but in 2003/2007 I find it easier to use different profiles than try to manage multiple accounts in one profile. You can add and change profile setting under Control Panel\User Accounts\Mail. I can understand if that's not ideal for your situation, though.

And after reading your part about Contacts, its not going to download a Global Address List for each account. It assumes your entity is the primary account and that's the one its going to grab. This is where setting up a separate profile is ideal.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I believe categories are only supported on accounts that connect via the "Exchange" method (I do not think they are supported in POP3/IMAP accounts). Since you can only have one account configured to connect via Exchange method I don't think there's a solution for you, if you require both accounts to be accessed via the same profile. You may be able to setup the 2nd account as an Exchange account for a different Windows user.

Djeet on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll set up a second profile, and keep switching between the two.

I have a question about that. The way it's set up now, the two accounts' emails are downloaded at the same time. If I do the two profile thing, will I have to try to remember to switch between the two on my own, or will it automatically do that?

L Ron Howard on
    edited January 2011
    it will only download email under the profile that is logged in.

if you have a web interface set up, you could use that to monitor the other account for incoming emails, then switch over in Outlook accordingly.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited January 2011
    So I added another profile and moved the bitch account over.
    The address book is borked now, and won't even download. It's just completely unfathomable. There are no different settings between the two that I can see.
    It also still won't let me do any categorization. I think this has to be one of the worst ways to set up an email client. Like, it was completely unfathomable to Microsoft that someone, somewhere, might want to use two different email accounts on the same client, and have some filtering and categorization and importance set up between the two - even if they have to share it. Grrrr.

L Ron Howard on
    edited January 2011
    What type of accounts are they (Exchange, POP, IMAP)?

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited January 2011
    The first one is an Exchange account.
    The second one won't recognize that it's anything but an IMAP, when it should be an Exchange also... IT gave me some settings, but I think Outlook just won't accept them. It will only work if I let it auto configure itself as an IMAP.

L Ron Howard on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if you're connecting with IMAP you won't be able to use categories.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    edited January 2011
    Outlook permits only 1 exchange account per Windows account.*

You can configure Outlook to connect to via "Exchange" method to another account, but you will need to logon as a different Windows user to get the "Exchange" connection method option. You have to select "Manually configure server ..." on the Outlook setup wizard to configure for "Exchange" connection method as by default it's IMAP.

*Edit: ... permits you to connect to only 1 email account via Exchange method, per Windows logon account.

Djeet on
    edited January 2011
    This is just awful. Awful awful awful. Why is Categories, or Importance (there isn't any way to really distinguish the two, it seems) something that's bound to Exchange accounts solely, and why is there only one Exchange account per account on the computer?

Thanks guys.
    I'll see if I can make both IMAP and convert them into an email client that doesn't suck, like Pegasusmail, Eudora, Thunderbird, Netscape, Pine, Squirrelmail, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Citadel, etc.
    Anything but LotusNotes, as that's possibly the only thing that's worse.

L Ron Howard on
    edited January 2011
    Djeet wrote: »
    Outlook permits only 1 exchange account per Windows account.*

You can configure Outlook to connect to via "Exchange" method to another account, but you will need to logon as a different Windows user to get the "Exchange" connection method option. You have to select "Manually configure server ..." on the Outlook setup wizard to configure for "Exchange" connection method as by default it's IMAP.

*Edit: ... permits you to connect to only 1 email account via Exchange method, per Windows logon account.

Unless they changed this in Outlook 2010, that's not entirely true. As the admin, I have multiple profiles set up so I can act as any number of Exchange accounts (self, admin, resources, etc.) via prompt when I launch Outlook.

The caveat is that your AD account needs to be granted the proper rights to those other Exchange mailboxes.

Are these accounts on the same domain? If so, the IT staff should be able to grant full rights to the other mailbox. if not, I have never dealt with that scenario, so I can't be much help. If they have Outlook Anywhere set up, then that may be of use.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited January 2011
    The accounts are not on the same domains.
    Maybe that's another reason why it seems to prefer the first one and not the second one also.

L Ron Howard on
    edited January 2011
    That doesn't jive with my experience of Outlook 2K3/7/10. After the 1st email account for a given Windows user is configured for connection via "Exchange" method then while that user is logged on to that system (domain or the local account) subsequent attempts to configured Outlook will only permit POP3/IMAP. Exchange selection is either grayed or if not grayed, when I select Exchange method and hit next I get this:

bCT4Q.jpg

However if you can hook up your Outlook to connect to multiple Exchange accounts for the currently logged on user I'd be interested in learning about it.

Edit: meh, nevermind, was trying to add to same profile.

Djeet on
    edited January 2011
    Hmm.
    Just gave me an idea.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/outlook/archive/2009/08/25/multiple-exchange-accounts-in-outlook-2010.aspx

Now I'll have to do some digging (on Monday) to find out what all the correct information is....

L Ron Howard on
  • GylperGylper Registered User new member
    edited August 2011
    Nothing new, just to agree: OUTLOOK 2010 is a big pile of shit! Sorry that I can't be more specific. But it would take enormous amounts of time, and nobody pays me for it. /Gylper

Gylper on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ahhh, hang on.

The accounts aren't in the same Windows Domain? You can only be logged into one Domain at a time, which might be why the other account won't work as Exchange.

Honestly I'm baffled... completely baffled why you even have to do this. What in the world could you possibly gain by having different email accounts at the two different offices? Contact list maybe? It'd be easier for IT to export the contacts for you and just import them into your normal account.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Why in the world are you even trying to fix this? Where is your IT department?

This discussion has been closed.