As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Civilization World! Alpha invites going out now!

a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
174679_160350091191_5071681_n.jpg

Update: Invites going out now! Check your email!
Sid Meier wrote:
Hello Civilization fans!

We have some exciting news to share with you about Civilization for Facebook! As you can see from the new look of this page, the official title for our game is Civilization World (Civ World). Why a name change you say? The name better reflects the main theme of the game; in Civ World you will be joining your friends to form nations, which will compete with other player-nations to rule the world. Civ World’s shaping up to be a really fun Facebook game, as well as another addictive Civilization experience.

We’re also happy to announce that we intend to launch the Closed Alpha test version of the game on January 12th, and you can sign up to become part of our development testing team starting today! Would you like a chance to join the test? Then we’ll need you to form a team with your friends, and sign up for the alpha test as a team. Why a team? Because to win in Civ World, you’ll need to collaborate with your friends in order to do well in the game and become ruler of the world, so in our early Alpha testing, we’re grouping people together to simulate how the game will work when it’s available to the world at large. In the final game, you’ll be able to sign up individually (although we’ll love it if you invite your friends), but to participate in Closed Alpha, you’ll have to enter as a team. It’s up to you how you organize your testing team. Your team can be anywhere from 5-50 people.

What we’ll need from each team will be a team name and a team captain. Each team member will need to register on our sign-up page www.2kgames.com/civworld/alpha and enter their team name and captain’s name, along with some other information. Teams will receive their acceptance confirmations beginning January 10th. Teams are how we ensure you get to play in the same game as friends. However, Civ World is a game of shifting alliances and powers, with civilizations and factions rising and falling all the time. You may not always be playing on the same side as your teammates -- in fact, you're just as likely to be their opponents! We’ll ramp up the size of the Alpha test squad as we progress in development, so hang in there if your team is not part of the first round. We’re looking forward to bringing you into the game, so go out there and get your testing team together!

Also, as a token of our appreciation to all of you who register for the Civ World Alpha testing, we’re going to create a special item that you can proudly display in your throne room to let the world know you’re one of the founding players of the game.

And now, an update on the game design. I’m having a really fun time hands-on designing and programming Civ World along with our terrific team at Firaxis. In the coming months, we'll be posting a series of gameplay updates here on the fan page detailing parts of the game. Today I’d like to talk a little bit about the organization of the game to tide you over until that time comes.

Civ World games will have a well-defined beginning and end, each ending with a triumphant civilization and one person recognized as that game’s most prestigious player. Along the way, as you progress through the different eras of time, you'll have the chance to win era victories as well. We want players to have both a final goal to work towards, as well as short-term objectives to achieve as they play. The trophies you unlock with your triumphs will carry over from game to game, and you can show them off in your throne room.

So, there’s some insight into how each game will be organized. Stay tuned – we’ll be updating you with our progress as the Closed Alpha moves along, as well as updating the page as we select new waves of testers. Thank you for all of your support, and we hope you enjoy the game as much as we do!

Stay Civilized!

Sid Meier
Sheep wrote:
http://www.2kgames.com/civworld/alpha/

Civ World ALPHA

Sheepolites as Team Name and Kyle as the Team Leader.

Let's play, people.

I'd start an entirely new thread for this but I can't.

Woo!

For those who don't know, Civ World is Firaxis' attempt to bring Civilization to Facebook. Could it mean the end of the world (or at least first world economies)?

a5ehren on

• ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just signed up. Hopefully I get in. This is really the only game on facebook I'd ever be interested in.

Zerokku on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm attempting to get a team of my friends together, but if it doesn't pan out I'll join with you guys.

SirUltimos on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    That's what I put when creating the user group. "I don't play FB games. I would play the hell out if Civ World"

:P

Sheep on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was all excited for a moment that this would be some sort of MMO type game. Then you said facebook and my interest level dropped to 0%.

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I was all excited for a moment that this would be some sort of MMO type game. Then you said facebook and my interest level dropped to 0%.

There are some persistent qualities to it, but it's still the same old Civ.

Sheep on
  • VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    signed up, hope it doesn't suck like most facebook games!

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up!

Turkey on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up.. Gonna laugh if it turns out we needed a full name in "Team Leader name"

(gosh that was weird. Fingers slipped to win+L when typing in "Leader")

Xaviar on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Singed up. If it turns out to MMOey Im not interested though.

Was soooo bored with KOC but my family loves that shit its bizarre.

Bedlam on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damn, it won't work for me, "needs token?" Someone put a dollar in the machine, RIGHT NOW!
    Facebook exception: OAuthException: An active access token must be used to query information about the current user.

RoyceSraphim on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up. This could be a pretty great game.

On an aside, has anyone played eRepublik?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up.

starkiller on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also signed up... this could be the one thing that gets me to log into facebook more than once a month

Gdiguy on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Love me some civ. Accepted go go!

Tommatt on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    signed up

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up. Hate FB games, really curious what this is.

Tommatt on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is going to be one of those games or applications that, without real permission, takes it upon itself to badger other people, most specifically me, every time the game-player discovers a new technology or conquers an enemy or clicks a peasant? It will be like some sort of mournful spirit possessing my friends in order to carry out its last business on earth, which happens to be obtrusive advertising as welcome as an endless loop of nails on chalkboards?

I have preemptively decided to hate this without looking into it.

Let me know if it never lets anyone else know you are playing it or even casually mentions to your friends over an intimate cup of tea that you happen to be playing. I'll probably pick it up.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up... cautiously optimistic

Yougottawanna on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up and saying good-bye to productivity, see you on the other side.

RoyceSraphim on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is a lack of wang in the team name

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • BluntlyBluntly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shouldn't we start tracking who signed up on this team, in case there's (almost inevitably) more than 50 people? Anyway, signing up.

Bluntly on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is going to be one of those games or applications that, without real permission, takes it upon itself to badger other people, most specifically me, every time the game-player discovers a new technology or conquers an enemy or clicks a peasant? It will be like some sort of mournful spirit possessing my friends in order to carry out its last business on earth, which happens to be obtrusive advertising as welcome as an endless loop of nails on chalkboards?

I have preemptively decided to hate this without looking into it.

Let me know if it never lets anyone else know you are playing it or even casually mentions to your friends over an intimate cup of tea that you happen to be playing. I'll probably pick it up.

Facebook has changed their policies on game posts a lot lately. Games have to ask for your permission for every post they make on your behalf. If you don't play the game yourself, your friends' posts aren't going to show up too often in the filtered news feed, and even then you can tell FB to hide all posts from a specific game.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • niktheniknikthenik Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up and ready to rule the world.

nikthenik on
    fullmetalnik.png
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Totally signed up.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Planning to sign up with you guys, but I have a question.
    Please carefully review the Alpha Tester Agreement and its confidentiality provisions. As this is a very limited development exercise, confidentiality is of utmost importance. You may not play in public places (e.g. airplanes, public libraries, internet cafes, etc), and may not discuss the game or your participation in this test with others. Screenshots, posts, comments, reviews or summaries, etc on blogs, websites, profile pages/walls, etc are not allowed. Please do not chat or send messages about the game outside the game itself. Any of these activities comprise a breach of your contractual obligations under the ALPHA TESTER AGREEMENT and will result in ejection from the Alpha testing.

Will we get in trouble for talking about the game here on the forum?

[Edit] Finished signing up.

Skulkraken on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Skulkraken wrote: »
    Please carefully review the Alpha Tester Agreement and its confidentiality provisions. As this is a very limited development exercise, confidentiality is of utmost importance. You may not play in public places (e.g. airplanes, public libraries, internet cafes, etc), and may not discuss the game or your participation in this test with others. Screenshots, posts, comments, reviews or summaries, etc on blogs, websites, profile pages/walls, etc are not allowed. Please do not chat or send messages about the game outside the game itself. Any of these activities comprise a breach of your contractual obligations under the ALPHA TESTER AGREEMENT and will result in ejection from the Alpha testing.

Possibly. While we can talk about signing up I'm not sure how much we can/should say here if/when we get in.

Zerokku on
    edited January 2011
    Considering that they want to know any gaming related sites you frequent, they couldn't be tooooo surprised to find some discussion.

Sheep on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like the idea of Civilization, but spending hours to complete a single map alone took way too much time. It was even harder to find someone willing to spend hours completing a map with you. Facebook seems like the ideal medium for epic turn-based multiplayer games.

What I guess I'm getting at is that I've signed up.

Frem on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

the most trouble you'll get in is having your right to play the alpha (and beta if there is one) taken away, and probably all future firaxis alpha/beta projects, possibly also black listing you from any future alpha/beta projects from other developers

Veevee on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Veevee wrote: »

the most trouble you'll get in is having your right to play the alpha (and beta if there is one) taken away, and probably all future firaxis alpha/beta projects, possibly also black listing you from any future alpha/beta projects from other developers

This is IF you get caught, which is almost impossible unless you do things that are titanically stupid. They basically don't want you leaking info to competitors and badmouthing the game before it comes out.

I also signed up. I'd prefer the game without Facebook integration, but we'll have to see if it's obnoxious or not.

captaink on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Signed up. I'm very interested to see what Sid can do with the platform.

CyberJackal on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm signed up. Will be nice to have a good game on Facebook for once.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Invites going out now! I got in, so I assume most of you guys did as well...

a5ehren on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This may be obvious, but I'll go ahead and state it:

Do not post any information about the game at all.

a5ehren on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got in as well. Guess we'll be talking about the game on their forum when it's up. :)

Turkey on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No dice :(

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.