As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game OFF] Company of Heroes Online: Over faster than a blitzkreig

2»

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I guess I have to make a lot more use out of mines, hardly use defensive structures at all at the moment. Move my rifles all the time guess it wouldn't hurt to drop some mines here and there.

Just had a crazy game with sepah and cake and we fought like a million fucking ostwinds (give or take a hunderd), 20 panthers (give or take 10) and KT. Rangers are so goddamn awesome.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    patch time

operation DYNAMO

http://www.companyofheroes.com/forums/release-notes/topics/Update-Operation-Dynamo-Release-Notes-915
    New Features

Guilds have been added. View all Guild members on your Guild page, as well as each Guild member can be identified with a three character tag in front of their names. New guilds can be created from the sub-tab in the Commander menu, next to the Commander Tree and Leaderboards.
    Skill Mismatch Bonus has been added. A skill mismatch between the teams will reward the underdogs with bonus Supply and Experience at the end of the game, regardless of winning or losing. The bonus percentage and a mismatch meter are displayed on the loading screen.

Improvements

New chat channels have been added that have special requirements to join.
    A chat channel has been added for each Commander type. Must be that Commander type to join.
    New Recruits - For new Commanders.
    Regular's Lounge - Commander must be under level 25.
    NCO's Lounge - Commander must be between level 25 and 50.
    Officer's Lounge - Commander must be level 50.
    Looking for Team - Restricted to only American or Wehrmacht Commanders. Game and Party invites have been enabled in this channel.
    Looking for Game - No restrictions. Game and Party invites have been enabled in this channel.
    Added /showhotkeys command to the chat commands list, /showhotkeys now displays the chat hotkeys list in a pop-up window.
    The frontend tutorial animations have been improved.
    More stats have been added to the main page, another tab called Game Stats has been added next to the News section on the main page.
    A number display has been added next to the Friends List button that shows how many of your friends are online.
    Friends List now has new tabs for Guild Members, Recently Played, LAN and Facebook Friends.
    The Friends List is now sorted by online status. Friends that are Online are displayed first, followed by friends which are In-game, and finally by friends which are Offline.
    The Leaderboards now display the Skill Rating for each Game Type, Skill Rating is what determines the Leaderboard positions.
    AI Take-Over has been added to all multiplayer modes. Players that have dropped from the game will have their units controlled by a CPU player. No further Charges will be deducted from the player's Army Items or Heroes once they have dropped, the same behavior as prior to AI Take-Over.
    The currency choice in the purchase and recharge screens has been changed to radio buttons instead of a drop-down menu.
    Player levels have been removed from the loading screen.

Balance Changes
    Two Commander Abilities have been re-designed, as a result players that have either the American Airborne Air-Dropped Supplies or Wehrmacht Defensive Reactive Artillery abilities will have their Commander Tree Re-Trained and all Improvement Points refunded.

American Changes
    Artillery costs have been increased.
    American Airborne Bombing Run base cost increased from 225 to 275 Munitions.
    American Airborne Strafing Run base cost increased from 165 to 195 Munitions.
    American Armor Calliope Barrage ability cost increased from 50->30->0 to 40->25->15 Munitions.
    American Infantry Howitzer Barrage ability cost increased from 50->30->0 to 40->25->15 Munitions.
    American Recon Jeep Hero Off Map Barrage ability cost increased from 75 to 100 Munitions.
    American Destructive Mortar Team Hero Assisted Barrage ability cost increased from 100 to 135 Munitions.
    American Airborne Air-Dropped Supplies ability re-design
    Base cost reduced from 200 to 175 Manpower.
    Base Command Point requirement reduced from 5 to 1.
    The base ability no longer grants any Munitions, it instead provides a HMG and Mortar weapons package and the squad that picks up the crate will receive a small health regeneration for a short period of time.
    The maximum munitions dropped has been reduced from 150 to 125 Munitions.
    The last munitions upgrade now increases the Command Point requirement of the ability by +1.
    The maximum fuel dropped has been reduced from 50 to 45 Fuel.
    The last fuel upgrade now increases the Command Point requirement of the ability by +1.
    The weapons package upgrades have been replaced by upgrade the effectiveness of the health regeneration. The final upgrade fully heals the squad that picks up the crate.
    The second and third cost reduction upgrades both increase the command point requirement of the ability by +1.
    American Sniper
    American Snipers now have 100% accuracy against enemy Snipers.
    American Medic
    The health of Medics have been reduced by 50%
    American Armor Pershing
    Ability cost has been increased from 800 to 1000 Manpower.
    The base Command Point requirement has been increased from 8 to 9.
    American 57mm Anti-Tank Gun
    The build time of the unit has been reduced from 82 to 67 seconds.
    American Tank Depot
    The cost of the Tank Depot has been reduced from 350 to 300 Manpower.
    American Mortar Team
    The setup time of the weapon has been reduced from 2.4 to 1.5 seconds.
    American Destructive Mortar Team hero squad
    The Assisted Mortar Bombardment delay has been increased from 4 to 8 seconds.
    American Infantry Forward Barracks
    The ability can now only be used in friendly territory.

Wehrmacht Changes
    Artillery costs have been increased.
    Wehrmacht Terror Firestorm Expanded Batteries upgrades now increase the cost of the ability by 15 Munitions, which previously did not increase the cost. The base cost has been reduced from 125 to 100 Munitions, however the fully upgraded cost has increased from 125 to 145 Munitions.
    Wehrmacht Blitzkrieg Rocket Barrage base cost increased from 175 to 210 Munitions.
    Wehrmacht Walking Stukka upgrade for the Halftrack increased from 150 to 175 Munitions.
    Wehrmacht Nebelwerfer Barrage ability increased from 0 to 10 Munitions.
    Wehrmacht Defensive Reactive Artillery ability re-design
    Base cost has been reduced from 250 to 50 Munitions.
    Base Command Point requirements has been reduced from 5 to 2.
    Base duration reduced from 30 to 25 seconds.
    Base ability radius has been reduced from 30 to 12 meters.
    A three second delay has been added before the first salvo of shells is dropped.
    The cost reduction upgrades have been replaced with radius increase upgrades.
    The radius indicator on the mini-map now gets larger as radius increase upgrades are acquired.
    All duration increase upgrades except the final upgrade now increase the Munitions cost of the ability, I:+15 -> II:+15 -> III:+5.
    Vehicle Triggering upgrade increases the Command Point requirements by +1.
    Terror Battery I upgrade now increases the ability Munitions cost by +60 and the Command Point requirement by +1.
    The Rapid Fire cooldown reduction upgrades have been replaced by upgrades which reduce the time between salvos.
    Wehrmacht Sniper
    Wehrmacht Snipers now have 100% accuracy against enemy Snipers.
    Wehrmacht Medic
    The health of Medics have been reduced by 50%
    Wehrmacht Officer
    The build time of the Officer has been reduced from 45 to 25 seconds.
    Wehrmacht Grenadier
    The grenade scatter has been removed, increasing Grenadier throwing accuracy.
    Wehrmacht Pioneers
    Pioneers now receive Elite Armor at Veterancy level 3 instead of Veterancy level 2.
    Wehrmacht Flak 88
    The Flak 88's accuracy against infantry has been reduced from 50% to 20%.
    Wehrmacht Remote Reinforcement Army Item
    The Army Item no longer allows reinforcement from bunkers. It now increases the reinforcement radius of all base structures by 50%.
    Wehrmacht Berger's Panzer Pioneer hero squad
    The squad no longer gains the second Panzerschreck.
    The level 3 Panzerschreck range increase has been reduced from 15% to 10%.

Map Changes
    Hedgerow Siege(6)
    A fifth Victory Point has been added to the central area of the map.
    Each base area now has a third defensive bunker which protects the previously unguarded entrance.
    Sturzdorf(2)
    The southern Headquarters has been rotated so the starting builder unit does not have to go around the Headquarters.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue on systems with CrossfireX that caused patches of terrain to turn black.
    The performance meter is now properly displayed to other users on the party creation and custom game setup screens.
    Fixed some of the hedgerows on Hill 331 (6) that were not acting as shot blockers correctly.
    Fixed a fatal scar error in mission 11 Hebecrevon of the single player campaign.
    Some building positions have been adjusted on Refinery(6) to prevent recruited units from getting stuck if the buildings were converted into Forward Barracks.
    American and Wehrmacht Heavy Machine Gun Teams no longer have to tear down and then setup again if an enemy squad within their cone of fire is targeted.
    Fixed an issue that sometimes caused American Riflemen Sticky Bombs not to go off if they were targeted on tanks with armored skirts.
    The chat pane will no longer lose focus if the player presses the Tab key.
    American and Wehrmacht Snipers now retreat at full speed if the unit retreats while cloaked.
    Removed some repeated text in the helptext for the Wehrmacht Officer.
    Construction Pioneers now correctly gain the level 4 bonus, a 25% increase to construction speed.
    When a player leaves a party the remaining party members are now notified.
    A spinner is now displayed when retrieving information from the server when a player has been selected on the leaderboard.
    Fixed an issue that caused the frontend tutorial prompt to trigger every time the client was restarted due to changing video settings.
    Recharging an item no longer resets the item page selection back to the first page.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Range of new reactive artillery
    np18h1.jpg

range is maxed using points (12m otherwise), costs 200 munitions when upgraded like this. Standard is 50 munitions

Alegis on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    American Recon Jeep Hero Off Map Barrage ability cost increased from 75 to 100 Munitions.

this is still not enough for a laser-guided shell that vaporizes whatever squad it targets

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    pff recon jeep

assault jeep is where it's at

Starting to like camouflaged rangers a lot. Sneak past bunkers, murderize PAKs/mortars.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    starting up a new commander and firing up the game

tired of fighting maphacking assholes in regular company of heroes so i guess i'll :dealwithit: when it comes to retarded ubermensch americans

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    got matched up against some really terrible level 36 wehrmacht player who beat me anyways because he had three squads of level 5 volksgrenadier heroes and pioneers with kars

fuck this game

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One of the more annoying things about this game is that it is hard to get perspective.

I have a level 30 american commander but I feel like there are some seriously broken shit with wehrmacht. I'm sure Wehrmacht commanders have the same feelings in reverse. There's really no easy way to play both sides up to a decent level and judge for yourself though. The level curve is quite steep.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i'm only level 8 right now since i started a new profile

there is nothing more frustrating than losing because your opponent's units have 30% more health than your own, see you from two screens away, and do more damage at every range while costing the same in resources

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    everyone who plays this game drophacks whenever they're losing

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So after this defensive player bunkerspammed the hell out of redball, guess what reward he gets.
    4bjzo.png

Also, screw double contracted pios building MG bunkers in ten seconds in front of you while you're fighting.

Woggle on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hahahaha, you talked about that on vent but man :lol: Thats fucking funny.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Is still played? Managed to get my connection working stable here and graphics wise seems to run acceptable on my laptop.

Want a good RTS for once in a while and even though I got AoE3 for like 10 cents I can't go back to non-squad based RTSes.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, we play this game nearly every day from about 4 est - 7 est, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

Jump on vent if you want to play, I'm hanging out online even now.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's from 6-9 AM here, will be tough :) My 00:00-01:00 is London's 3-4 PM and 10-11 am EST.
    I'll check vent when in the mood

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What faction do you guys play? I'm hankering for some axis Fatherland MG faceroll.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everything you love about CoH, now with grinding or microtransactions!

So... maybe not so great.

The timing vis a vis Starcraft 2 is pretty unfortunate. I'll keep one eye on it but I'm not sure what would make me want to play this over actual CoH.
    The only way I will care about this game is if you do shoutcasts for it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh you magnificent failures.

You know who you are.

I watched the replay.

(incidentally for those who did not know a replay launcher endorsed by relic has been released)

It's such a shame you were all sleeping when I watched this.

The only question remains. Who is Mein Stats? I assume it is Steel-Angel?

Regardless, Bravo! Excellent performance.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Question: Is there co-op play vs AIs?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Ender wrote: »

You can certainly comp-stomp. It even has FOUR LEVELS OF AI TO CHOOSE FROM!

I have no idea how popular it is though. Automatch 4 lyfe

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Ender wrote: »

You can certainly comp-stomp. It even has FOUR LEVELS OF AI TO CHOOSE FROM!

I have no idea how popular it is though. Automatch 4 lyfe

I will show these machines the same mercy they'd have shown me.

It's not much.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    downloading this now, hopefully some people still play.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    finished downloading, apparently my Relic userID was still stored somewhere in my Registry, since it still had me logged in, along with my original CoH and OF serial keys.

But I cannot seem to use anything within the beta other than the multiplayer, is this intended?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wait, do you mean the Company of Heroes Balance patch beta on Steam or Company of Heroes Online? The latter has the original campaign in IIRC.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The balance patch beta on Steam, I was given the understanding that it was the same as CoH:O

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    the balance beta patch is the beta for the next patch for retail company of heroes. Company of Heroes Online is a separate, free to play version, with the Americans and Germans. You pick one doctrine and level your commander up.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ahh, I misunderstood the headline on the page, I understand now.

registering for CoH:O Beta now.

edit: Hmm, looks like Relic doesnt play well with Hotmail, since I havent gotten the registration validation email in over 15 minutes, and I've tried having it resend it twice already.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Huzzah, created the CoH:O account through a different mail provider, and am now registered.

Any particular commander type I should pick that would gell well with you guys?

I already created an American Airborne and an Axis Blitz commanders, but I would be happy to try something else out if those are noob-unfriendly or if another commander type would make a better teammate.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Had some great games tonight, thanks for joining up Melkster.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So I'm finding Airborne kinda weak, can you convince me of some of its strengths over the other doctrines Shep?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, I hit level 19 with my Airborn Commander, and I'm starting to really enjoy it.

I was previously trying to rely on Paratroopers and Bombing run, which really doesnt work when you are a low level and cannot upgrade them properly.

So for levelling, I'm sticking with a light investment in Recon and Smoke, then medium investment in Paratroopers, now I'm going to try and complete the Smoke tree, and then possibly either the Bombing tree or the Recon tree.

The areas I seem to be weakest at are countering enemy artillery teams who always seem to be wiping me out while I'm uncapping / recapping a point, as well as AT guns that always seem to see me from out of my visual range. Also, some struggling with enemy HMG teams, even snipers seem to have trouble getting a long enough LOS spot so that they arent getting killed by retaliation shots.

Also, is it just me, or does the Hero unit for Skilled Jeep not have the ability to detect camo'd snipers? I swear I'm almost driving over top of them before he will detect them. (That was mostly before I unlocked the 10% bonus sight, but it is still pretty crappy even now).

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i really hate how the automatch system works in this game

as a level 14 terror commander i get matched up against max level yanquis because my skillrank is apparently their equal

but i can't beat them because literally every one of their units is better in every way

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hmm the skilled jeep should be able to detect. Never used it though, only the amazing Assault Jeep. Don't think the assault jeep has the 'detect snipers' as a lvl ability so it should be innate to all jeeps.

edit: apparently the assault jeep has been nerfed by an added 10 fuel cost

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yep, thats the reason I levelled the skilled jeep instead, the assault jeep I got cost something like 10-20 fuel, and way more req too.

Though the Assault jeep would be nice for that added 25% hp and being able to cap fuel/ammo/req points.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aha! Figured out why the Jeep wasnt detecting, it wasnt completely stationary.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It only detects while stationary now?

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Seems like it, if I have the jeep travelling around with my Rifleman squads, then I get sniped often and have to run over the sniper to detect.

If I leave the Jeep stationary, it has no trouble protecting my HMG squad.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is practically old news now, but for completion's sake:

Company of Heroes Online is going down on March 31st
    http://www.companyofheroes.com/announcements/company-of-heroes-online-beta-closing-03-31

It sucks. I liked CoHo a great deal. It was a perverse twist of the original game, true. It allowed players to pave over their tactical shortcomings with overpowered heroes and abilities. Each doctrine pretty much boiled down to a few really powerful abilities that were mercilessly exploited. It introduced incredible levels of imbalance based on player level, where one player could have two mediocre abilities pitted against one with five incredibly powerful abilities and a stable of level five heroes. It encouraged grinding and leveling heroes in computer battles before taking them to the field. It added unnecessary upkeep mechanics to keep your heroes and items running.

It made a bunch of questionable decisions like this, certainly.

Still, I found it fun in a sillier, less strategic, arcade like way.

There are many things that CoHo did right. It introduced a reliable and robust matchmaking system that would find you a game in under five minutes about 95% of the time. It added an incredible amount of diversity from player to player that I found refreshing. No two games felt the same. It was patched and updated frequently and generally wisely. It was fun.

Shame that it couldn't last.

I think it is the matchmaking I will miss the most. I'm sifting through 12 patches to update company of heroes from 1.00 to 2.601 (an incredibly tedious process) even now and I'm struggling to see how I will enjoy this game when getting into a match could take 15-30 minutes unless it is a 1v1.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    the one thing coho did right

was introducing GODDAMN CHECKSUMS

maphacking is basically endemic on the vanilla game

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    We should all start playing R.U.S.E. instead now... :P

Though I'm guessing that multiplayer for that is most likely deader than vCoH.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png