As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Too Old For This [chat]

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to like the Biggest Loser but the more I watch it the more I feel like they aren't teaching any of these people lifestyle things. They are just making them run a whole lot.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Really don't think I'm cut out for the club scene. I'm too passive.

you need to start posting more stuff in mage!

so does jacob :P

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to like the Biggest Loser but the more I watch it the more I feel like they aren't teaching any of these people lifestyle things. They are just making them run a whole lot.

Running's kinda bad if you're big as well, good way to ruin your knees.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Whoa cool. I played through the DA:O origin for a Dalish elf, and I think it is actually the best origin by far.

For one thing, it makes running off to join the Wardens more reasonable than some of the other origins.

What other origins have you played?

I did male city elf and really dug it.

Though as you said, there is a little bit of a disparity in terms of why youd join the Wardens.

Well, obviously all the origins give you a reason for joining the order but
    The whole "yeah your whole family/friends etc are all dead so you don't have anywhere else to go so I'm going to strongarm you into joining" makes Duncan kind of a prick in the human noble origin, and in the mage origin if you are following Irvings instructions in helping Jowain then getting kicked out of the Circle is pretty fucked up, the Dwarf noble origin is practically Shakespearean, but the Dalish origin is like "Hey you were being stupid with your friend and got yourself poisoned with darkspawn taint and you will definitely die if you can't master the taint the way the wardens do" makes Duncan come across as much less opportunistic, and it provides a real impetus for your character to actually want to go fight darkspawn. As opposed to the other origins where you could really give a fuckall about the darkspawn because you've been betrayed on everywhichside by anything and everything other than darkspawn.

Yeah,
    The city elf origin was like hey you raped my family I want equality and to kill every racist human on earth. I know, I'll join a group comprised entirely of humans

Dalish Elf does sound pretty logical.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    So someone posted this last night and holy shit. Holy shit. I wish I'd known about this guy before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFnKTs6CXwQ

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    i'll definitely be having a spicy lunch tomorrow to help alleviate this

Organichu on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

I do, I'm sorry

I plead spending the week on the phone

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I aspire to have a concept tomorrow.

I'm leaning heavily towards Mysterium now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i do like that if you play a city elf
    you can mouth off to the king as soon as you meet him

when he's like "oh, how is life in the alienage? I've always wanted to check it out"

you can be like "An Arl's son raped my cousin so I murdered him."

and he's like "...what?"

Duncan comes in quickly to be like "uhhhhh DARKSPAWN! FOCUS, PEOPLE!" and everyone forgets about it

mostly because everyone in that conversation that isn't you dies...

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The people in the somalian pirate thread who are all "send the US navy/army/whatevs in" worry me.

Somalia is really none of their business.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whoa cool. I played through the DA:O origin for a Dalish elf, and I think it is actually the best origin by far.

For one thing, it makes running off to join the Wardens more reasonable than some of the other origins.

What other origins have you played?

I did male city elf and really dug it.

Though as you said, there is a little bit of a disparity in terms of why youd join the Wardens.

Well, obviously all the origins give you a reason for joining the order but
    The whole "yeah your whole family/friends etc are all dead so you don't have anywhere else to go so I'm going to strongarm you into joining" makes Duncan kind of a prick in the human noble origin, and in the mage origin if you are following Irvings instructions in helping Jowain then getting kicked out of the Circle is pretty fucked up, the Dwarf noble origin is practically Shakespearean, but the Dalish origin is like "Hey you were being stupid with your friend and got yourself poisoned with darkspawn taint and you will definitely die if you can't master the taint the way the wardens do" makes Duncan come across as much less opportunistic, and it provides a real impetus for your character to actually want to go fight darkspawn. As opposed to the other origins where you could really give a fuckall about the darkspawn because you've been betrayed on everywhichside by anything and everything other than darkspawn.

Yeah,
    The city elf origin was like hey you raped my family I want equality and to kill every racist human on earth. I know, I'll join a group comprised entirely of humans

Dalish Elf does sound pretty logical.

Yeap. I liked the city elf origin, but just like the human noble origin it suffers from the same "terrible shit has been done to me, I want revenge... which I can in no way shape or form get by joining the Grey Wardens..."

That is not the case with the Dalish origin.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I am gonna get to see my ex soon but I need to meet someone within an hour's drive of me or I am going to be in serious danger of turning into jucar and then you guys will just have to do the right thing and put a pillow over my head as I sleep

join a soccer team

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

and they yell at them

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    i do like that if you play a city elf
    you can mouth off to the king as soon as you meet him

when he's like "oh, how is life in the alienage? I've always wanted to check it out"

you can be like "An Arl's son raped my cousin so I murdered him."

and he's like "...what?"

Duncan comes in quickly to be like "uhhhhh DARKSPAWN! FOCUS, PEOPLE!" and everyone forgets about it

mostly because everyone in that conversation that isn't you dies...

Yes, that made me laugh out loud when it happened. Though I did like
    That when you finish the City Elf, you are added to the council and your dad takes over for you. That was a really nice ending.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    The people in the somalian pirate thread who are all "send the US navy/army/whatevs in" worry me.

international shipping is kind of everyone's business, Daxon

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »

and they yell at them

That one kid that was like 500lbs was lying on the ground saying his leg hurt and they were all "get up get up youre not really hurt get up."

I mean he wasn't really hurt so it made for a nice anecdotal story but, shouldn't a doctor have looked at his leg or something?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So someone posted this last night and holy shit. Holy shit. I wish I'd known about this guy before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFnKTs6CXwQ

He's.. horrible.

Also sounds a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    outside of the Dalish origin
    do any of the other origins have anything to do with the Darkspawn or the Blight? i forget, but i don't think so.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

and they yell at them

That one kid that was like 500lbs was lying on the ground saying his leg hurt and they were all "get up get up youre not really hurt get up."

I mean he wasn't really hurt so it made for a nice anecdotal story but, shouldn't a doctor have looked at his leg or something?

one probably did they just didn't show it

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Also if you were one of the people taken hostage by a Somali pirate gang would you want Navy SEALS coming to rescue you or would you rather the U.S. suddenly decide that Somalia needs to solve it's own crime problem?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh i do not like that comedian you posted

it's his sense of timing

there's just something really off and forced and amateurish about it, it sucks all the funny out of his shock humor

delivery is important

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    outside of the Dalish origin
    do any of the other origins have anything to do with the Darkspawn or the Blight? i forget, but i don't think so.

No, but dwarves have a built in cultural thing where running off to fight darkspawn is pretty reasonable.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    most reality shows are actually pretty safe for the people on it and they have full medical staff and shit standing by

Survivor, even in the very beginning, had daily doctor visits and paramedics on hand and shit

they just don't show it because it doesn't make things look as raw and real

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

and they yell at them

one probably did they just didn't show it

Yeah, I know someone who worked on it and I'm sure you're right.

I dunno ever since I read that article something has rubbed me the wrong way about it.

I might just stick to watching Top Chef. Watching a show about making people gain weight seems better.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    most reality shows are actually pretty safe for the people on it and they have full medical staff and shit standing by

Survivor, even in the very beginning, had daily doctor visits and paramedics on hand and shit

they just don't show it because it doesn't make things look as raw and real

Yeah but in the case of the Biggest Loser you read the articles about how unhealthy some of the way these people lose weight are and you're like ehhhhh

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

it's his sense of timing

there's just something really off and forced and amateurish about it, it sucks all the funny out of his shock humor

delivery is important

well I think it's not just the jokes themselves but the character of the douchebag comic that he is portraying. the bits where he's preening at the audience are the parts that really sell me on the act.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I do, I'm sorry

I plead spending the week on the phone

it's okay, you're not alone :P

I just get worried when no one responds for days :P

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

it's his sense of timing

delivery is important

well I think it's not just the jokes themselves but the character of the douchebag comic that he is portraying. the bits where he's preening at the audience are the parts that really sell me on the act.

it just reminded me too much of dane cook and i shut it off after his third attempt at shocking the audience

satire is a careful thing

you come off too much like the thing you are supposed to be satirizing and you end up just as irritating

Pony on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    i don't support unhealthy methods of losing weight (obviously) but if it's the thing that makes even one of the 500 lb guys 300 lbs so he has the impetus to keep his weight in check for himself... then, great

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Also if you were one of the people taken hostage by a Somali pirate gang would you want Navy SEALS coming to rescue you or would you rather the U.S. suddenly decide that Somalia needs to solve it's own crime problem?

Sure, but recognising international borders are pretty fucking important as well.

Moreso than any individual.

Jacob, here's a funny, insulting guy you can watch as opposed to whoever that was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvOQxeQKrdw

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

but but imperialism!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdOX2pIjr30

This is one of my really good friends. He is a standup comedian. He is really good for being young and relatively new to trying his hand at professional gigs.

You should watch him and laugh because he's funny.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i've come to realize over the years i have a far lower tolerance for satire and parody than most people

like it's very easy for something that is supposed to be satirizing something i find irritating or offensive end up just being irritating or offensive to me

Pony on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Sure, but recognising international borders are pretty fucking important as well.

Moreso than any individual.

Jacob, here's a funny, insulting guy you can watch as opposed to whoever that was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvOQxeQKrdw

Somalia doesn't currently have an international border. Currently they aren't even a sovereign country.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i don't support unhealthy methods of losing weight (obviously) but if it's the thing that makes even one of the 500 lb guys 300 lbs so he has the impetus to keep his weight in check for himself... then, great

Yeah but that's kind of my fundamental problem with the show (to some degree). I feel like in a lot of ways these people aren't getting any kind of impetus. They aren't learning anything other than that working out all day errday will help them drop tons of weight. I know they do some healthy eating segments and stuff but losing massive amounts of weight is more about a lifestyle choice than a competition. Of course there are miracle stories, which are awesome, and I support the push to be healthier, but I worry that these people aren't really taking much home with them to change their lifestyle.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I own and am reading The Starcraft Bible

I can't believe the amount of shit I could have enjoyed the last 10 years and I just didn't know. but alas we have books and shit like that.

jacob first joke, so far I'm laughing at this comedian.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Failed states are everyone's problem.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Everybody laugh at my comedian!

stevemarks44 on
This discussion has been closed.