As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congresswoman and constituents shot in Arizona. Details sketchy at best.

AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and six others died after a gunman opened fire at a public event on Saturday, the Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office confirms.

The 40-year-old Democrat, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

At least three other people, including members of her staff, were injured. Giffords was transported to University Medical Center in Tucson. Her condition was not immediately known.

Giffords was talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and fired indiscriminately from about four feet away, Michaels said.

The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006. The "Congress on Your Corner" events allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367/congresswoman-shot-in-arizona

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/08/arizona.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Aneurhythmia on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    maybe not the best thread title

but yes, its very sad

what the hell is up with Arizona

Jasconius on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    people are already wigging out super hard about this because of palin's list but i think that at least the media needs to take a step back and focus on the shooter instead

Quoth on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    man that sucks

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks like that wasn't a very safe way to hold an event.

In all seriousness though, that's fucking terrible.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any idea at this point what the assassin's motivation was?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The issue is how aggressive partisan political hacks have gotten on both sides of the isle, and how their rhetoric is now causing some of the masses to simply go batshit insane. Especially on topics where the information is skewed or flat out wrong.

I feel sorry for her family, and anyone close to her.

Hunter on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quoth wrote: »
    people are already wigging out super hard about this because of palin's list but i think that at least the media needs to take a step back and focus on the shooter instead

Palin had a hit list????!!!

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    we seriously need to get rid of arizona

we should give it to mexico

poetic justice

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    lessmorelessmore United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That is ridiculous!

lessmore on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's going to be a terrible revelation if it turns out that this was a politically motivated act.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, this is terrible.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    It's going to be a terrible revelation if it turns out that this was a politically motivated act.

I was thinking the same thing.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    The issue is how aggressive partisan political hacks have gotten on both sides of the isle, and how their rhetoric is now causing some of the masses to simply go batshit insane. Especially on topics where the information is skewed or flat out wrong.

I feel sorry for her family, and anyone close to her.

Well, I know this is generally a concern, and I suspect it could be a factor here, but crazy folks been shooting up public events and killing politicians for a while now. Waiting to see before I foam at the mouth about this. It'll give me time to reflect on how fucked up the situation is regardless of the motivating factors.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

terrible, yes

revelation, sadly, no

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    even if it is just random violence it sucks hardcore.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is horrible

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Futore wrote: »

I'm curious about this as well. I don't really follow information related to Palin.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Liiya wrote: »

I don't think it could be anything other than a politically motivated act when the report states she was shot in the head at an event specifically for her, by her.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm curious about this as well. I don't really follow information related to Palin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/24/sarah-palins-pac-puts-gun_n_511433.html

satansfingers on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arizona is an open-carry state.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

terrible, yes

revelation, sadly, no

Well, I mean in terms of the shit people have stirred up.

People like Beck, Palin, etc. They go on for years saying and doing things possibly thinking that it won't have repercussions.

But the truth is that it does.

If it comes out that this person did these things because of their political beliefs then it's proof of their wrong doing.

Maybe I am overreacting, but I just feel you don't go that long stoking a fire and not have anything happen.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/24/sarah-palins-pac-puts-gun_n_511433.html

wow

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

oh, uh, I was joking. That is the widespread reaction on the internet. Type "palin's list" into google and you already see the little Twitter stream that google has on its front page abuzz with people linking the death to Palin's list like it she's the fucking Illuminati.

From what I've briefly read about it, she has made a figurative list of Dem congresspeople that she wants to beat in coming elections

edit: oh. oh my. I didn't know she was being that "literal" with the campaign

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

From the article:

Urging her supporters to "get organized," Sarah Palin released a list Tuesday of 17 Democrats in Congress who her political action committee will work to defeat in the November elections.

On her Facebook page, the former vice presidential candidate wrote that SarahPac will be "paying particular attention to those House members who voted in favor of Obamacare and represent districts that Senator John McCain and I carried during the 2008 election," CBS News reported.

Here's the list:

Ann Kirkpatrick (Ariz.), Harry E. Mitchell (Ariz.), Gabrielle Giffords (Ariz.), John Salazar (Colo.), Betsy Markey (Colo.), Allen Boyd (Fla.), Suzanne M. Kosmas (Fla.), Baron P. Hill (Ind.), Earl Pomeroy (N.D.), Charlie Wilson (Ohio), John Boccieri (Ohio), Kathy Dahlkemper (Pa.), Christopher Carney (Pa.), John M. Spratt, Jr. (S.C.), Tom Perriello (Va.), Alan B. Mollohan (W.Va.), and Nick J. Rahall II (W.Va.).

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/03/23/sarah-palin-releases-political-hit-list-for-2010-elections/

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Arizona is an open-carry state.

Ohio technically is too

I think most states that have CCLs are open carry states. Just need to follow the rules for that.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Palin had a list on her Facebook of congressional districts she thought should be targeted to get more conservative people elected. Unfortunately she used a graphic showing a congressional district map with symbols that looked like sniper crosshairs to a lot of people.

That said, it's way too early to say anything definitive about what the motivations behind this were. Political disgruntlement, cartel hit, random deranged wack job, who knows. I'm sure that won't prevent lots of speculation and jumping to conclusions, though.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The title of this thread is kind of possibly not right and should probably be corrected:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47244.html
    NPR reported that she and six others were killed, but her office denied she had died.

“That report is incorrect.” Giffords spokesman C.J. Karamargin said.

Also, I haven't seen anything in the news I read that mentions Palin at all.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wiet wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

I don't think it could be anything other than a politically motivated act when the report states she was shot point blank in the head at an event for her, by her.

Such a waste of life.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    sarahpac_0.jpg

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Good lord, this can't look good for Palin at all.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    that's terrifying.

I am pretty sure Sarah Palin didn't "put a hit" on these people

but man, there sure are some nuts out there and putting a list of people you REALLY want out of office is maybe not such a good idea?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

wow

holy
    fucking
    shit

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Good lord, this can't look good for Palin at all.

yeah, no matter what that graphic is going to get passed around everywhere

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CNN is retracting the report of her death. For now.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://twitter.com/#!/Reuters/status/23824996635770880
    FLASH: Congresswoman Giffords still alive, in surgery, nine other patients brought in from shooting: hospital spokeswoman

BoomShake on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't understand it

By that I mean the pointless murders/attempted murders and the very fact that Palin can get such a following in protesting against much-needed healthcare reform

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    In all honesty, and it sounds strange to say, but I really hope this turns out to be a random act of violence instead of a politically charged assassination.

I doubt it though.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, I haven't seen anything in the news I read that mentions Palin at all.

No, actual journalists have had more sense than to go there so far, but the Palin thing is all over message boards/twitter/news story comments if you travel in certain cyber-circles.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is what happens when you make overly dramatic appeals to people's emotions. The crazies in the populace can't tell the difference between hyperbole and reality. Then shit like this happens, and everyone gets all "OMG how can this happen".

Hunter on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

jumping jehosiphat.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.