As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vulcan Girl

McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
No... not the spock kind.

The shooty kind.
Based off this sketch (http://mcgibs.iseenothing.com/junk/vulcan-progress.gif) after some serious proportions fixing.
vulcan.jpg

And heres a progress sequence. This was really my first "jump right into colours" painting, so I figured I'd record it for later.
vulcan-progress.gif

website_header.jpg
McGibs on

• Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh, the progress pic is a nice bonus.

The only thing that bothers me is that the wall behind the character seems too close. Taking it into consideration that she has a HUGE gun, it would be more reasonable that she would position herself a little further away.

Personal favourites desing-wise are the gloves and pants, total awesomeness.

no_toast on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    *whining* That gun is too big! ;-)

Looks great McGibs. The glowing barrel is a nice touch.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Awesome, love it. :D

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Strong little lady o_o

Estilo on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I joined 3 different art classes in my college to learn how to do that.

Am i learning any of that? No.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The gun's barrel is crooked slightly. It's tilted up more than the rest of the gun.

Or rather, the bottom barrel tilts upwards at a steeper angle than the rest of the gun.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    *GASPS*...oh.....I see. Hmph. Fine then.

Awsome though, I absolutly love it...despite your false advertising...dick...

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    how long did this take you to do?

Not the drawing, but the coloring

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Awesome as usual mcgibbs, I love the tone change in the final.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The coloring is grand and all. But I just can't believe she would be able to carry that thing with such perfect posture.

I'm no gun expert, but from what I'm reading, must vulcans weigh about 90-200 kg (200-600 pounds).

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    The coloring is grand and all. But I just can't believe she would be able to carry that thing with such perfect posture.

I'm no gun expert, but from what I'm reading, must vulcans weigh about 90-200 kg (200-600 pounds).

There was already a discussion about this in the doodle thread. The general consensus was that it was unrealistic but very cool. YMMV.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I know! And how bout that Seigfred character! There's no way he could swing a sword that big so freely.

Who cares man

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Because once you get to a certain point it looks retarded. I mean, shit, I guess I'll start drawing characters wielding tanks as shoulder-mounted weapons just because it looks sweet.

Siegfred amirite? Grats on obscure reference, +10 points.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shes a robot/cyborg.

That answers everything.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    There you go.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Soul Calibur isn't really obscure at all.

Cyborg or not I think her gesture is a little boring. She's unleashing hell on whatever poor soul that monster is pointed at and she's got her legs locked and an utterly stoic face. I think the "drama" of the character would probably be enhanced by having her brace her weight to help convey the surely powerful recoil of that gun and some kind of intimidating expression.

Unless the fact she's a cyborg was more than a convenient construct and you really did want her to seem totally stoic.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    McGibs wrote: »
    Shes a robot/cyborg.

That answers everything.

didn't answer my qustion of how long it took ;-)

"Soul Calibur isn't really obscure at all."

So a 5'6" man who weights like 165 could easily swing a 6 foot sword like a broomstick while wearing a shit load of armor?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »

Step out of your cocoon and read a book. Siegfried is from Norse mythology.
    So a 5'6" man who weights like 165 could easily swing a 6 foot sword like a broomstick while wearing a shit load of armor?

To quoth the Kewop: "Who cares man"

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Step out of your cocoon and read a book. Siegfried is from Norse mythology.

To quoth the Kewop: "Who cares man"

that's the point... who cares, but he was saying it wasn't wacky.

Also, i didn't now Siegfried was based on mythology. Now I must read this

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cyborg or not I think her gesture is a little boring. She's unleashing hell on whatever poor soul that monster is pointed at and she's got her legs locked and an utterly stoic face. I think the "drama" of the character would probably be enhanced by having her brace her weight to help convey the surely powerful recoil of that gun and some kind of intimidating expression.

Unless the fact she's a cyborg was more than a convenient construct and you really did want her to seem totally stoic.

I got the impression she has just finished kicking arse and is surveying the destruction. Hence the passive stance, red hot barrels and bullet casings.

Estilo on
  • Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Looks great.

But now I want to see a real Vulcan girl. You know, the Spock kind.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    1. where are the bullet casings in mid-air between the gun and the pile on the ground?

2. why does the gun appear to taper off /why arent the barrels straight / why is it glowing red (do they actually do that?) - if it's firing i think the muzzle flash could be exaggerated far more and extend further.

3. the wall directly adjacent makes the image more shallow.. but then there is just this large void beyond it... the depth is confusing or unrealistic?

good stuff!

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There are no bullet casings in the air because she's not firing the gun. It's glowing because it's overheating or something, presumably. There's no muzzle flash.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    The top barrel is bent slightly upwards at the tip, but it's only really noticeable with a straightedge. The barrels are tapered because they can be. Only the top barrel needs to be in line with the chamber because it's the only one that ever fires at any given time.

bombardier on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the "boring" stance lends to the fact that she's a cyborg

she's bored because she's a robot, besides that gay one on starwars, how many excited and animated robots can you name?
    she's just doing what she was programmed to do presumably, be cute while killing people

and i agree i get the feeling this is post shooting not during shooting.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    its after shooting. The barrels are glowing because they are insanely hot from all the fireing she just did (addmitadly, if they were really glowing that much irl, they would be warped beyond use, but it looks cool anyways)
    The barrels taper because of both the fact that they converge slighly (as bombs stated) and that they themselves taper. It's a little more then an actual 30mm vulcan cannon, but its made up so whatever.

The pose I admit is pretty boring. This was really just a character sketch I drew in a coffee shop at 2am. Thought it would look cool coloured. There wasnt much thought into composition or whatnot.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I actually like the contrast between the stoic / zen appearance and the utter hell that gun must be unleashing on her target. It's like, yes - all of us who have never been in combat assume that she should be screaming and rocking back and forth from the recoil. But, for her, maybe it's just another day in the office? I think that lends a lot of weight to what she's doing (and suggests she has a lot of experience for her otherwise youthful appearance). Course, maybe I'm reading too much into things.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Not every drawing needs a dynamic holy shit pose. The pose is actually perfect for the situation if you ask me. She probably just mowed down a shit load of people and is now in the mood of "now what?"

I think the bullet shells should be larger though, but whatever.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    meh, they seem to be of standard 7.62mm size, which is perfectly capable of turning people into a fine pink paste at 24,000 rounds per minuet. Plus you could fit several thousand of them in that drum under the gun.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg